PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 scariest movies of all time

vandeleur
01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
After discussing with my daughter what quantifies a scary movie.

THE SCARIEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME

1.THE SHINING
Still scares the shit out of me today , great cast ,great direction and every time you watch it you see something new. ( from behind the settee)

2.THE THING
The effects still look great and john carpetner was still cool then.

3.HALLOWEEN
Simple , basic and a classic

4.ALIEN
Scary monster and when the captain who you think is the hero dies you know all bets are off .

5.JAWS
Watched it when i was a kid scared the crap out of me , still good today until the rubber shark fully appears . Now when I watch it am more scared of quint.

Honourable mentions or begining of the top ten :D

Nightmare on elm steet.
se7en .
The silence of the lambs.

IMHO

hambon4lif
01-14-2013, 01:19 PM
"The Exorcist" would have to be somewhere on that list.

The whole demonic possession thing....the head spinning....the cunt-stabbing with the cross...the fact that she posts here....

jhale667
01-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Agree "The Exorcist" (my favorite movie) has to be on the list.

BITEYOASS
01-14-2013, 01:56 PM
No. 1 is wrong! The scariest movie of all-time is "Jesus Camp".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQhleVuWPM

vandeleur
01-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Yeah .... exorcist could have squeezed in .

Dave's Bitch
01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
An honorable mention should go to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

vandeleur
01-14-2013, 02:51 PM
An honorable mention should go to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I hope you mean the the original , not the 3d imax new super version . that i aint seen but will probs be shite .

Dave's Bitch
01-14-2013, 02:54 PM
I hope you mean the the original , not the 3d imax new super version . that i aint seen but will probs be shite .

Yea fuck that shit,And all the terrible sequels for that matter :).The grit of the original played as big a part as the cast.I hate all this super clean remake shit

sonrisa salvaje
01-14-2013, 05:03 PM
I would like to nominate The Changeling (1980) starring George C. Scott. Also, Prince of Darkness (1987) starring Donald Pleasence. Those 2 creeped me out pretty good.

Zing!
01-14-2013, 05:36 PM
The Evil Dead is groovy!

Kristy
01-14-2013, 06:18 PM
After discussing with my daughter what quantifies a scary movie.

THE SCARIEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME

1.THE SHINING
Still scares the shit out of me today , great cast ,great direction and every time you watch it you see something new. ( from behind the settee)

2.THE THING
The effects still look great and john carpetner was still cool then.

3.HALLOWEEN
Simple , basic and a classic

4.ALIEN
Scary monster and when the captain who you think is the hero dies you know all bets are off .

5.JAWS
Watched it when i was a kid scared the crap out of me , still good today until the rubber shark fully appears . Now when I watch it am more scared of quint.

Honourable mentions or begining of the top ten :D

Nightmare on elm steet.
se7en .
The silence of the lambs.

IMHO

Ghey. Except for The Shining.

WARF
01-14-2013, 06:31 PM
1) The Beyond - Lucio Fulci

2) Brain Dead - Peter Jackson

3) Demons - Lamberto Bava

4) Living Dead Girl - Jean Rollin

5) The Evil Dead - Sam Raimi

Hardrock69
01-14-2013, 06:31 PM
THE SCARIEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME IS THE HOME VIDEO KRUSTY MADE WHERE SHE WAS SUCKING THE SHIT OUT OF SOME WINO'S ASSHOLE IN AN ALLEY OFF COLFAX AVENUE!

:jaw:

WARF
01-14-2013, 06:35 PM
I am a GORE-HOUND unless it's artistic.

American horror is ghey.

I like a few American horror films (Motel Hell, Blood Diner, etc)

I gotta go with Lucio Fulci is the greatest horror director ever.

Dario Argento had great style and was the Alfred Hitchcock of Italy (Supiria)

I also love the mindless Bruno Mattei films.... or even Cannibal Holocaust for that matter...

The more fucked up the better!

ashstralia
01-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Ghey.

whoa! no-one saw that coming!!

BITEYO, that fat child abusing bitch needs a bullet. when i see that shit i understand just a little bit more why your joint's fucked up.

Seshmeister
01-14-2013, 06:47 PM
2) Brain Dead - Peter Jackson

That's a comedy!

Seshmeister
01-14-2013, 06:50 PM
There was one creepy scene in the Exorcist III that stayed with me.

Best in full screen, just a minute long...

Seshmeister
01-14-2013, 06:57 PM
This was creepy too but maybe just because I saw it very young plus anything that makes you nervous about noises in the middle of the night or your bedroom window when you are a kid is not cool... :)

DONNIEP
01-14-2013, 07:05 PM
I haven't seen a really good scary movie in a while. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre scared the shit out of me. But I was like 13 when I first saw it.

WARF
01-14-2013, 07:05 PM
That's a comedy!

There's no such thing as a "scary movie" to me! All of them are comedies!

But if you wanna talk about great horror films than include, scares, gore and comedy...

Peter Jackson's braindead should be near the top of the list....

I almost forgot he was a great director once.... Bad Taste and Meet the feebles were equally awesome!

Seshmeister
01-14-2013, 07:20 PM
My mistake, I was getting mixed up with Bad Taste.

I don't think I've seen Braindead but it doesn't look too serious either... :)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTcwMzY5MTYxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTUwOTc4._V1._ SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

WARF
01-14-2013, 08:56 PM
My mistake, I was getting mixed up with Bad Taste.

I don't think I've seen Braindead but it doesn't look too serious either... :)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTcwMzY5MTYxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTUwOTc4._V1._ SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Both films are very similiar Black Comedy Horror!

Seshmeister
01-14-2013, 09:19 PM
I had Bad taste on VHS for ages.

'I'm a Derek and Dereks don't run!'

WARF
01-14-2013, 10:04 PM
I had Bad taste on VHS for ages.

'I'm a Derek and Dereks don't run!'

I haven't seen Bad Taste for maybe 15 years so I don't remember this.

Check out the Roth Army Grindhouse in the dump if you like low budget horror.

I have full movies in there. I think you will enjoy them!

Nickdfresh
01-14-2013, 10:10 PM
There was one creepy scene in the Exorcist III that stayed with me.

Best in full screen, just a minute long...

I haven't seen it in years, but the scene(s) with the possessed crawling on the ceiling always got me a bit. I had nightmares for years, especially when I was in high school about the girl hovering above me. Now I just have zombie dreams...

Nickdfresh
01-14-2013, 10:13 PM
This was creepy too but maybe just because I saw it very young plus anything that makes you nervous about noises in the middle of the night or your bedroom window when you are a kid is not cool... :)

The book is also very creepy, there's a vivid image of a vampire baby killing off its family and the entire town becoming a vampire colony. I think they had to heavily rewrite it to get it on TV...

Nickdfresh
01-14-2013, 10:25 PM
One of the creepier zombie scenes in the opening of the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead. You have to log in to see it on Youtube, runs from about 3:30-8:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPvrwHIb08&wide=1&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fmovie%3Fv%3D1D PvrwHIb08%26feature%3Dmv_sr

Seshmeister
01-14-2013, 10:28 PM
I haven't seen Bad Taste for maybe 15 years so I don't remember this.

Check out the Roth Army Grindhouse in the dump if you like low budget horror.

I have full movies in there. I think you will enjoy them!

LMFAO!

I hadn't watched this in many years - it's insane that Peter Jackson went on to do what he did...

Seshmeister
01-14-2013, 10:30 PM
FUCK!

I never realised Peter Jackson was Derek!??!

Looks like he took some chances on those cliff scenes too...

lesfunk
01-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Evil Dead is by definition a "Video Nasty"

vandeleur
01-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Am a gore fan to , but went for a scary list .
I love the old Euro gore shit or as they were more often called in the uk video nasties .

vandeleur
01-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Didnt brain dead have the ending were the guy killed all the monsters with a fuck off lawn mower at the end .

lesfunk
01-14-2013, 11:09 PM
I love the old Euro gore shit or as they were more often called in the uk video nasties .

Like Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula

Seshmeister
01-14-2013, 11:09 PM

Yeah sorry got sidetracked there with the Peter Jackson stuff which I had totally forgotten about...

Seshmeister
01-14-2013, 11:13 PM
One of the creepier zombie scenes in the opening of the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead. You have to log in to see it on Youtube, runs from about 3:30-8:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPvrwHIb08&wide=1&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fmovie%3Fv%3D1D PvrwHIb08%26feature%3Dmv_sr

Don't remember it but we did used to watch Return of the Living Dead a lot as teenagers.

The completely gratuitous nudity probably helped, again more comedy horror but I read that it has become a classic.

http://www.esplatter.com/images/ns/returnofthelivingdead.jpg

vandeleur
01-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Gory scary it's all good .... Anything to distract us from Alex jones lol

Scene that freaked me out when I was far to young to see it on a clunky old VHS coffin of a video was the eye scene in zombie flesh eaters when she she gets the wood spike in it .

Seshmeister
01-14-2013, 11:25 PM
I haven't seen a really good scary movie in a while. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre scared the shit out of me. But I was like 13 when I first saw it.

I don't watch that many horror films but I would guess that at our age you just will never get that scary thrill you would get as a teenager, we're jaded.

Last horror film I saw was the The Woman in Black with the wee Harry Potter guy. It was fine but I wasn't really affected by it.

When children are dying on the news every night, a witch seems a bit trivial.

I also wonder if you need to be a bit religious for some of these films to freak you out. I saw the Exorcist really late, just a few years back but thought it was all a bit silly.

vandeleur
01-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Last horror ish I really liked was cabin in the woods not really scary but very clever and had a shit load of cool monsters

sadaist
01-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Does a home movie of my wedding count?

sadaist
01-15-2013, 12:42 AM
My personal list is:

Jaws - still fucked up about going into any water.

Alien - for years I wouldn't eat white rice thinking an alien would then pop out of my stomach.

Blair Witch - I know, I know....but something about it actually made me scared when I watched it.

Poltergeist - nuff said

Amityville Horror - GET OUT!!

Now my rant about "scary" movies. They don't scare people....they startle people. Something jumping out at the screen suddenly is not scary, it's startling. Scary is when you are in fetal position in a dark hole in the middle of the night hoping the 3 guys looking to kill you don't find you and holding your breath so they don't hear you breath when they get close.

Anonymous
01-15-2013, 12:50 AM
Are we talkin' 'bout SCARY films, or Horror films?

'Cause if it's scary, Hostel takes the friggin' cake, along with the Human Centipede, 'cuz that shit COULD happen to you, no matter how hilarious the films are, especially the sequels. Werewolf? Hahahahahaha!!! Psycho killer armed with a knife? Pfft. Even if he does take me down, he's not gonna get anyone else.

Crazed medics that drug you & experiment on you and/or a group of well organized deranged psychopaths? I'm shakin', I'm shakin'!

Horror movies? HAMMER!

Yeah. No contest, shut the fuck up. HAMMER, baby!

The Shining is NOT a horror/scary film. It IS a masterpiece of disturbance, though. Very atmospheric. Very, very atmospheric. In fact, Nicholson's Torrance is only a supporting character in that film, with atmosphere being the protagonist. I love the bar scene. Hell, all scenes.

And yes, I did rub one to to Olive Oyl. She's the most unattractive thing I've ever seen, in that film. Made me hard, for some reason.

Cheers! :bottle:

Hardrock69
01-15-2013, 04:07 AM
YES!

HAMMER!

Fucking Christopher Lee! Peter Cushing! Woo!

Dave's Bitch
01-15-2013, 04:44 AM
or even Cannibal Holocaust for that matter...

I kind of draw a line with that one.I like the idea of it,It pretty much invented the whole "found footage" thing in horror movies.I love the story about how the director was put on trial accused of murdering the actors so he had to bring them in to prove it is just a movie.But the thing that makes me feel uneasy is the animal cruelty.The footage with the animals is real (The director was charged with animal cruelty anyway) and that turns my stomach.The whole racist depiction of the tribe people and the film makers love of torturing women turn me off too.I think there are all of about 2 women in the film who don't get naked and/or raped.it is one level removed from a snuff film

I think honestly though it does what it is intended to do.It has every chance to just turn stupid but it doesn't. It is probably the most vile things i have seen,I don't think I will watch it again.This should be number 1 on the this

ashstralia
01-15-2013, 05:10 AM
the extra backwards stairwalking scene was pretty cool.

the chestburst scene in 'alien', and the extremely claustrophobic scenario sticks with me.
in 1979, we could imagine that as a future/past career.

sesh, it's impossible to make a bad film of a stephen king story.

Hardrock69
01-15-2013, 06:10 AM
I would say Alien was one of the most frightening films I have ever seen.

I just watched Prometheus night before last, and when I crashed that night, I had a lengthy nightmare with Aliens in it.

No Sigourney Weaver, dammit.

WARF
01-15-2013, 06:14 AM
And yes, I did rub one to to Olive Oyl. She's the most unattractive thing I've ever seen, in that film. Made me hard, for some reason.

This is the funniest fucking thing I have read in my life!!!! :lol: :lmao:

Anonymous
01-15-2013, 11:14 PM
I kind of draw a line with that one.I like the idea of it,It pretty much invented the whole "found footage" thing in horror movies.I love the story about how the director was put on trial accused of murdering the actors so he had to bring them in to prove it is just a movie.But the thing that makes me feel uneasy is the animal cruelty.The footage with the animals is real (The director was charged with animal cruelty anyway) and that turns my stomach.The whole racist depiction of the tribe people and the film makers love of torturing women turn me off too.I think there are all of about 2 women in the film who don't get naked and/or raped.it is one level removed from a snuff film

I think honestly though it does what it is intended to do.It has every chance to just turn stupid but it doesn't. It is probably the most vile things i have seen,I don't think I will watch it again.This should be number 1 on the this

It kinda does turn stupid, at the very end, with the final spoken line. They add a rushed, half-arsed, completely unnecessary moral to the story. Ignoring that, your opinion on the film causes me to strengthen mine that it should be an obligatory film for everyone.

You watch it & you draw your own conclusions. Just nevermind the final line.

As for the cruelty to animals, don't fall for it - there is NONE. They not only EAT the animals they killed, they killed it just as they would have to be killed if you're going to eat them. Nothing is purely for the camera, there is no spectacle in it. They're just filming something that is done.

So, it's perfectly justified.