PDA

View Full Version : CVH Homage or Rip Off?

Seshmeister
01-23-2013, 04:08 PM
So when I got the chance to do guitar on an album recently I couldn't resist going a bit Classic Van Halen on a song. Well I guess there is a bit of Eddie in all my playing but this was the blatant one.

I like to think that since I only wrote the music, not the vocal melody or lyrics, the influence of the rest of the band stops it being a pastiche and after 35 years is there not some sort of statute of limitations on ripping off Eddie's Atomic Punk thing? :)

Rather than posting a proper link I'm doing an anonymized link at the moment because of the trolls here and I'm not pimping it just curious as to what some of you think. If you want to hear the rest of the album PM me.

Oh and if you can't say something vaguely positive or constructive don't feel that you have to post. :D

Link below - it does sound better loud...

https://soundcloud.com/tcp_review/atomic-sesh

philouze
01-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Sounds great my man!!!!
Yeah.

vandeleur
01-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Enjoyed it mate, good stuff

philouze
01-23-2013, 04:22 PM
BTW, it's definitely an Homage.. Listening again... Great shit, Sesh...

Seshmeister
01-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys. I think there is maybe better stuff on the album but I was itching to let Van Halen fans hear this one.

That said its a bit like playing in front of your aunties...:)

vandeleur
01-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Your stage banter must be rubbish ...
Playing in Front of your aunties lol your meant to big your audience up :D

Coyote
01-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Homage...

Although a little too much phasers on the guitars, IMO...

Seshmeister
01-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Your stage banter must be rubbish ...
Playing in Front of your aunties lol your meant to big your audience up :D

I'm not allowed near a mike on stage. :)

The Aunties line comes from Billy Connolly when he was playing his home town here.

I always took it as meaning you can't bullshit people who know where you're getting your stuff from so it has to stand up... :)

vandeleur
01-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Oh , yeah we are bound to be a tough audience but it was good mate , and you know this place you know it's not easy getting a compliment .

Seshmeister
01-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Homage...

Although a little too much phasers on the guitars, IMO...

Yeah I do like some phaser I'm afraid, I probably use it a bit too much although not usually quite as much as I do here.

It's a guilty pleasure, I'm even a big fan of Bark At the Moon.

Maybe it's an age thing, the young studio engineer wasn't convinced either...

Seshmeister
01-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Oh , yeah we are bound to be a tough audience but it was good mate , and you know this place you know it's not easy getting a compliment .

Well we've all done the two handed tapping thing back in the day at a party to the people who had never seen it before...

That may be the best thing about this song, ripping off Eddie without doing that. :D

sadaist
01-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Sounds great my man!!!!
Yeah.

Holy crap Sesh. Was that really you? Damn dude, I loved it! So good. I can't even make my air guitar sound that good.

I would say heavily influenced by CVH but not a ripoff by any stretch.

philouze
01-23-2013, 05:10 PM
EXACTLY.... Sesh kicks major fucking ass, doesn't he???
Hell yeah he does.

Coyote
01-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Yeah I do like some phaser I'm afraid, I probably use it a bit too much although not usually quite as much as I do here.

It's a guilty pleasure, I'm even a big fan of Bark At the Moon.

Maybe it's an age thing, the young studio engineer wasn't convinced either...

I'll bet he was just going for some slight moderation...

Seshmeister
01-23-2013, 05:43 PM
I've never been very good at moderation... :)

Dave's Bitch
01-23-2013, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't worry Sesh.Not a rip off,It sounds awesome. :)

Coyote
01-23-2013, 06:30 PM
I've never been very good at moderation... :)

Given the way you post at times, well... :biggrin:

But don't worry 'bout it, it's good...

sadaist
01-23-2013, 06:36 PM
EXACTLY.... Sesh kicks major fucking ass, doesn't he???
Hell yeah he does.

Fuck. You guys never cease to amaze me with your playing abilities. First was JHale & Matt or Coyote that amazed me, then I saw the Youtube for Lounges band and liked the song so much it's in my favorites and I find myself singing it while driving (la la my bible & my gun la la....dammit Lounge!).....and now Sesh. I figured we were all just a bunch of hacks that loved Van Halen. I never had any idea that we had some true musicians with hardcore chops. Makes me proud & honored to share a forum with all you guys.

Anonymous
01-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Wow.

Well done, old man.

Well done.

And I agree it's not a rip off. Sounds EVHish, but it's not EVH.

But still... well done!

Cheers! :bottle:

WARF
01-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Awesome Sesh!

Good work bro!

Guitar Shark
01-24-2013, 12:00 AM
That is really awesome Sesh. Thanks for sharing!

PETE'S BROTHER
01-24-2013, 12:18 AM
So when I got the chance to do guitar on an album recently I couldn't resist going a bit Classic Van Halen on a song. Well I guess there is a bit of Eddie in all my playing but this was the blatant one.

I like to think that since I only wrote the music, not the vocal melody or lyrics, the influence of the rest of the band stops it being a pastiche and after 35 years is there not some sort of statute of limitations on ripping off Eddie's Atomic Punk thing? :)

Rather than posting a proper link I'm doing an anonymized link at the moment because of the trolls here and I'm not pimping it just curious as to what some of you think. If you want to hear the rest of the album PM me.

Oh and if you can't say something vaguely positive or constructive don't feel that you have to post. :D

Link below - it does sound better loud...

https://soundcloud.com/tcp_review/atomic-sesh

sexy, thank you

Master Po
01-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Wise man say "Can see soul in other man through art".

Sesh have much respect from friends.

Obvious Sesh have much talent.

Hardrock69
01-24-2013, 02:51 AM
Fakkin Hell, Sesh.....that's some kickass shit there!

Way to go!

Satan
01-24-2013, 03:06 AM
Most Unholy, Sesh!

Does this mean your soul is for sale? http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d010.gif

Hardrock69
01-24-2013, 04:23 AM
:lmao:

DLR Bridge
01-24-2013, 05:38 AM
Gott Damn!! Like a thunderbolt to my Cheerios!! Well done indeed, and I don't think you over did it on the Phaser. I think the song called for it.

ashstralia
01-24-2013, 05:45 AM
i'm ripping off a couple of your riffs, man. :yo:

THAT'S how one does praise.

Seshmeister
06-07-2013, 08:30 PM
So six months on we did 5 gigs or so.

2 were great, 3 were very quiet.

Not sure what to do with this. The hugely frustrating thing is that if we had done this album 20 years ago we would have had a great chance but now no. I can totally get that. The more difficult thing is trying to get the demographic out. We can get maybe fifty or sixty along if we sell tickets and cajole but if it's a just turn up thing then you can end up with just a dozen.

Oh to be young again. I think that's the major problem.

We would be quite mediocre and pull much much bigger crowds in the late 80s early 90s without the internet or radio or whatever to promote it, four times as many with no promotion....

Here's the thing many if not most of the bands I like are older. So the problem is the audience will not listen to new music and if they do they will not enjoy it to the same extent because they are older.

Sorry just thinking out loud and stating the fucking obvious... :)

vandeleur
06-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Its still the same old story , a fight for love and glory a case of do or die ... sorry where was I .

Mate its the same old same old . If your 18 you could get all your student mates to come see you .Probably all the mates you know are kidded up and never go out of the house especially to see bands ( probably a generalization based on my mates)

To be honest 5 gigs in 6 months , aint great . Do you travel ? Got a promoter ( essential )? got a manager ?
Did you do a tour to promote the cd ? radio play for the gigs you were doing ? There are some ace internet radio stations ones that help touring bands promote gigs in other towns.

If your playing the same old gigs in sesh ville and keep asking your mates to buy tickets its obviously a game of diminishing returns and your gonna lose your mates :D

DLR Bridge
06-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Sorry to hear of your tale of woah Sesh. You pretty much nailed it. Seems like back in the day, people would look forward to going out and checking out new bands. Nowadays, it's like nobody goes out anymore. The changes in the times do not seem favorable towards a decent band trying to cut it, sadly.

vandeleur
06-07-2013, 09:01 PM
We used to have a cover band that played for cash ( the mary hinge experience) that would support us doing the travelling and playing support to decent artists.

ELVIS
06-07-2013, 09:06 PM
I still say the problem is the singer...

And how the fuck did I miss this song ??

This was the best song I've heard but the singer or whatever is still lame...

My advice is just play the music that you like personally and if other people like it that's a bonus...

:elvis:

ELVIS
06-07-2013, 09:07 PM
What are you trying to get out of it anyway ??

Seshmeister
06-07-2013, 09:30 PM
What are you trying to get out of it anyway ??

I dunno. :)

The nuts thing is although I'm the MD guy with the crazy outgoings I could actually do it full time professionally and hold down the day job as long as I had an Internet connection. :)

The main reason for doing any of this was just fun. According to iTunes I've listened to this album thing 100 times its all good.

We did a gig a couple of months ago to 300 people and it was great. A few weeks later we played to 16.

I get the singer criticism but he's a good front man live and looks the part.

Stephen Pearcy and Axl Rose sold how many albums? I would argue he is as good as them live but we don't have all the cash to spend on the studio faking.

The biggest problem we have is that people in their 40s just don't go out and young people only come to see you if you ate already established.

All of this is fine and as it should be I guess.

Sometimes it's just a bit frustrating though.

ELVIS
06-07-2013, 09:46 PM
You say he looks the part...

I dunno...

My approach to music is totally personal and I get pretty absorbed in it...

At some point I want to put a band together and start doing some type of gig on the bayou as there's really nothing to offer and the area is growing...

But when I do it's going to be my kind of music take it or leave it or nothing...

I sort of have a vision about it and all I need to do is kick some ass and follow through on it...

But I dunno dude...write some songs...try to be original...

Let your influences fall as they may...

:elvis:

Seshmeister
06-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Listening to this again I need to give props to the rhythm section.

Anyone who has ever recorded in a studio will appreciate that the bass and drums were recorded live on the second take.

I overdubbed my 2 rhythm guitar tracks over my live guide and then also did the guitar solo 6 times or so.

ELVIS
06-07-2013, 10:02 PM
It's not too bad...

It would have helped for everyone to learn it a bit better, but it is what it is, not bad...

The "frontman" is the deal breaker for me...:biggrin:

Seshmeister
06-08-2013, 05:09 AM
Jeez I really shouldn't post after a night in the pub when Scotland win at football... :)

Nitro Express
06-08-2013, 05:38 AM
Your bass player sounds much better on this track. Doing the ol' Atomic Punk hand rub trick are you? Are you using the EVH MXR effects or something else? You have a good crunchy tone going. It sounds great! Sure it's an EVH influenced tone but I would say it's more of a let's party and have some fun tone. You have that swagger to your playing.

vandeleur
06-08-2013, 05:40 AM
Jeez I really shouldn't post after a night in the pub when Scotland win at football... :)

To many jokes mate :D

Seshmeister
06-08-2013, 05:58 AM
It's when you see the time.

How was I even conscious at 2:49 am never mind posting shit on the internet?

Blackout posting, no damage done by the looks of it apart from sounding like a bit of a dick.

Thank fuck Scotland wins are so rare... :)

Seshmeister
06-08-2013, 06:01 AM
Your bass player sounds much better on this track. Doing the ol' Atomic Punk hand rub trick are you? Are you using the EVH MXR effects or something else? You have a good crunchy tone going. It sounds great! Sure it's an EVH influenced tone but I would say it's more of a let's party and have some fun tone. You have that swagger to your playing.

Thanks very much.

It was an MXR phaser - the standard issue one not the EVH, straight into an Orange amp.

I was in a different room, it was painfully loud. :)

Nitro Express
06-08-2013, 06:10 AM
Well you got to turn an amp up to get the best it can give. They all have that sweet spot on the volume knob. One amp of mine almost caused a divorce.

Nitro Express
06-08-2013, 06:14 AM
We have a female singer now. We added Blondie's Dreaming to our set list and it's all we played at practice today. I can't get the fucking song out of my head now.

vandeleur
06-08-2013, 06:20 AM
We used to do Maria , it's the worlds most addictive riff when u play it . It just chugs forever and u can't bloody stop .

ELVIS
06-08-2013, 09:05 AM
YYou have that swagger to your playing.

It needs a riff though...

There's a lot of noodling going on but no actual riff you can wrap your head around...

ELVIS
06-08-2013, 09:09 AM
no damage done by the looks of it apart from sounding like a bit of a dick.

:)

And that never happens...:)

vandeleur
06-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Sesh being a dick ain't the problem ;-) , the songs riff isn't the problem .
The original comment was how do we get more exposure / more people to gigs . And unless people sit outside the house and luckily catch Sesh playing and hear him through the windows it's basic stuff .

If your not playing all the time and everywhere how the fuck can see people gonna see you . It's catch 22 people won't come if they haven't seen you or know you exist.
To me and am basing this on a drunk comment , if a band ain't happy with gig attendance it's not a huge mystery what's wrong .
Gig strategies need looked at, who is hearing the material how are they hearing it.
Is 5 gigs in 6 months enough ( will give u a clue that's like a van halen schedule )
So Sesh has to stop expecting the mountain to come to him or puts seats outside his house so people can hear the songs in more comfort .
Him the band need to approach it not as guitar geeks ( if a guitar falls in a forrest and it's plugged into a orange amp does anybody hear it ) but logically and as if they were trying to market their music to people .
Or Sesh needs to concentrate less on the Sesh show and more on remembering the lyrics :D

vandeleur
06-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Actually what the fuck do I know , I used to think 16 was a sell out :D

clarathecarrot
06-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Your guitar sounds like some polished late 80 rock / punk hybrid, maybe with some EVH but ED just plays music, also..... it is what it is. I really don't think it is anything like VH it is unique...and very nice.

Your singer sounds like some late 70's english pub punk singer real good,..really good.

Drums are on time as they should be and the Bass is also right there.

I liked it all.

Reminds me of the best of the punk rock fusion thing that I like alot.

Ia'monna list'n again.

Romeo Delight
06-08-2013, 01:06 PM
That was really good Sesh.

Seshmeister
06-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Sesh being a dick ain't the problem ;-) , the songs riff isn't the problem .
The original comment was how do we get more exposure / more people to gigs . And unless people sit outside the house and luckily catch Sesh playing and hear him through the windows it's basic stuff .

Sorry as I said I was pretty refreshed last night.

I felt like deleting some of that nonsense this morning but that would be an abuse of power so I just need to live with it. :)

Seshmeister
06-08-2013, 07:02 PM
We have a female singer now. We added Blondie's Dreaming to our set list and it's all we played at practice today. I can't get the fucking song out of my head now.

The only slight problem with that is I always think that the minute you have a female singer you become her backing band.

I'm not saying that's a terrible thing but it all becomes about her.

Also if she isn't decent looking then you can't get anywhere, if she is then it becomes about that. Blondie is a great example.

I don't make or agree with the rules but that's what they seem to be...

vandeleur
06-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Having a female singer is very good at getting women to gigs , and that's not a massive hardship :D

vandeleur
06-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Sorry as I said I was pretty refreshed last night.

I felt like deleting some of that nonsense this morning but that would be an abuse of power so I just need to live with it. :)

By the way Sesh none of that crap I was spouting was a criticism of yourself mate, anybody who gets up and makes music and then plays it in public gets a hats off from me.

DLR Bridge
06-08-2013, 07:30 PM
By the way Sesh none of that crap I was spouting was a criticism of yourself mate, anybody who gets up and makes music and then plays it in public gets a hats off from me.

Same here. I'd kill for the opportunity, but also think I'd be a nervous wreck. I'm hoping to get the balls to do an open mic one of these nights. Haven't sung live since '99.

vandeleur
06-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Same here. I'd kill for the opportunity, but also think I'd be a nervous wreck. I'm hoping to get the balls to do an open mic one of these nights. Haven't sung live since '99.

Go for it man , you will love it . And when you do tell us how it goes :D

Seshmeister
06-08-2013, 07:59 PM

It's true I honestly don't think I was ever nervous playing to much bigger crowds when I was young, this time around has definitely been much more stressful.

I hear the same thing happens with actors, you think too much when you are older.

Angel
06-08-2013, 09:56 PM
It's true I honestly don't think I was ever nervous playing to much bigger crowds when I was young, this time around has definitely been much more stressful.

I hear the same thing happens with actors, you think too much when you are older.

Yup. Of course for actors, there's the fear of not being able to remember lines. I cast a 72 year old once. She had loads of TV experience. She couldn't remember more than two lines.

I ended up backstage feeding her lines through a cell phone with an ear bud hidden. First play I ever directed and I didn't even get to see the damn thing.

Seshmeister
07-28-2013, 01:52 AM

Maybe try a karaoke to ease yourself back into it?

I'm now at the point that I have a few drinks at rehearsals so that when it comes to gigs I'm in the same state of mind - it works well but not so useful if you are singing as alcohol affects the voice.