PDA

View Full Version : Tales From The Crypt

Kristy
02-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Grave robbing at its finest:

http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/news/jimi-hendrixs-people-hell-angels-coming-march-5-2013?cid=nl%3A429264641&utm_medium=email&utm_source=uslegacy-jimihendrix&utm_campaign=email-uslegacy-jimihendrix-20121126-nl429264641&utm_content=nllink-19e4af43-More%20Details%20%BB

Due out March 5 so some of you may have to ask for a early allowance from your parents

Kristy
02-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Also: anyone know of this story where a so-called recording of Hendrix, Davis, Tony Williams and Paul McCartney alleged to have taken place?

A telegram dated 10/21/69 sent by Jimi Hendrix to Paul McCartney. The message reads, "We are recording an LP together this weekend in NY. How about coming in to play bass… peace, Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis, Tony Williams."
There exist a photo of this alleged document at The Hard Rock Cafe in Prague which conveniently states McCartney is "away on holiday."
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j255/VLONK/Telegram-HardRockCafePrague.jpg

More meandering internet rumor mill bullshit or...:umm: why no mention of this 44 year old document before?

http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.8075048.9814/sticker,375x360.png

Nitro Express
02-03-2013, 12:20 AM
My mommy wouldn't give me money to buy evil rock and roll music.

ZahZoo
02-03-2013, 01:14 PM
When I have some time I'll go dig up my book Jimi Hendrix Sessions and see where Jimi was recording then.

I heard several clips from this new album on Hawaii 5-O last week. It's all alternate takes on stuff released before and a few songs from Crash Landing without the Alan Douglas over-dub bullshit. The whole record is covering 69 when Jimi was moving from the Woodstock group he'd assembled to Band of Gypsys and his final group with Cox & Mitchel.

Kristy
02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Hopefully, it's not as bad as 'West Coast Seattle Boy' or that abysmal 4 CD box set 'Experienced' with all those cheesy "alternative takes." There was no doubt between touring and shows Hendrix spent a lot of time in the studio but there is no way his dignity would ever allow for these songs to be released to the public. Maybe super hard-core of Hendrix might enjoy this shit but its still grave robbing. The man profoundly recorded so much material and I'm happy with what he left us - why can't that be enough?

ZahZoo
02-04-2013, 04:03 PM
It is amazing how much time Jimi spent in the studio during that brief 4 year period. I appreciate all the stuff released, but like you say I'm in the super hard core fan group.

Hard to say what Hendrix would have allowed to be released. He was one of the most mismanaged artists of his time. Well I guess that could be said of most black artists from that time period.

Rikk
02-09-2013, 03:17 PM
This new release is worth hearing. I'm with ZAHZOO. The best archive release is truly FIRST RAYS OF THE NEW RISING SUN, mostly because it was finished masters (or almost finished...fully-intended for release). But SOUTH SATURN DELTA and VALLEYS OF NEPTUNE are really solid albums. The first JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE box set also has much excellent material. There's a lot of good stuff on WEST COAST SEATTLE BOY. It is my prediction that the new album won't be quite in VALLEYS OF NEPTUNE territory...lots of unfinished alternate takes here, but still worth hearing. But when they're taking lead vocals from an earlier take of SOMEWHERE and adding it to an instrumental run-through from another session to complete it, yes, they are kind of stretching it. But I still want to hear it.

Hardrock69
02-09-2013, 03:39 PM
This term "unreleased" is definitely stretching it here. *skrape skrape*.

I have had everything that is on this album for years in the original form.

It gets old sometimes when listening to the 14th take of some song....this set will be an upgrade as it is remixed/mastered by Eddie Kramer, so the sound quality will be much better than the raw, direct-from-the-master-tapes stuff I have.

Of course I will buy it. Though I hate giving up any of my hard-earned cash just to keep Janie Hendrix in new shoes (fucking kunt).

What I REALLY want is the remastered Royal Albert Hall DVD. It was supposed to be out 3 years ago, but Janie Kunt was not through filing more lawsuits against people. She does not make enough coin just by selling Hendrix CDs/DVDs/etc., so she goes out of her way to sue people to pad her bank account (i've said for the thousandth time).

Hey Rikk, nice to see ya bro! :yo:

Rikk
02-09-2013, 06:29 PM
This term "unreleased" is definitely stretching it here. *skrape skrape*.

I have had everything that is on this album for years in the original form.

It gets old sometimes when listening to the 14th take of some song....this set will be an upgrade as it is remixed/mastered by Eddie Kramer, so the sound quality will be much better than the raw, direct-from-the-master-tapes stuff I have.

Of course I will buy it. Though I hate giving up any of my hard-earned cash just to keep Janie Hendrix in new shoes (fucking kunt).

What I REALLY want is the remastered Royal Albert Hall DVD. It was supposed to be out 3 years ago, but Janie Kunt was not through filing more lawsuits against people. She does not make enough coin just by selling Hendrix CDs/DVDs/etc., so she goes out of her way to sue people to pad her bank account (i've said for the thousandth time).

Hey Rikk, nice to see ya bro! :yo:

HARDROCK, my old friend...great to see you!:hippie:

Yup, ROYAL ALBERT HALL...endless bullshit litigation. Releasing HENDRIX IN THE WEST but removing the tracks from the Albert Hall...stupid. This is a concert in 35mm...very rare. Amazing quality. Good performance. Multi-track surround. Following Hendrix around on tour, documentary footage...this is the Holy Grail. And she's kept promising it but makes us wait longer and longer because she just can't settle. Ridiculous.

I'm always excited for any new Hendrix studio release...but you're right: this is truly a barrel-scrape. I've heard these tracks too...on bootleg, and also on CRASH LANDING and MIDNIGHT LIGHTNING (two ridiculous albums, but nonetheless very listenable). I do object that it has a couple of songs that were not even truly Hendrix sessions (GHETTO FIGHTERS and at least one other) just for his guitar-playing.

I've read HENDRIX SESSIONS and its new upgrade. There are tracks still unavailable that look more promising than some of the tracks in this release. And wasn't the finished take of IZABELLA from summer '69 (with the Gypsy, Suns & Rainbows band) already released on the first box set from 2000?

Yeah, I'll buy it. It's not exactly expensive.

Hardrock69
02-10-2013, 02:01 AM
Go to the Amazon site and there is a 3-minute interview with Eddie Kramer where he plays a track....I checked out the set list and there is only one song I did not recognize by title, but I bet a dollar when I hear it I will know what it is.

What the heck. We still might get lucky and get some stuff someday that is truly undiscovered....there is at least one show from Dallas 1969 that was videotaped in it's entirety that has been lost...the venue owner approached Warner Bros. right after Hendrix died offering to sell it to them but they turned him down....idiots.

ZahZoo
02-10-2013, 03:08 PM
The one thing I appreciate most is Hendrix LLC keeping Eddie Kramer at the helm in cleaning up this material and remastering it.

I know I've said this several times before... But sure wish to hell if Van Halen ever does another album it would be awesome if they'd hire Kramer to do the recording and mastering. We sure wouldn't hear this over compressed ear-tiring crap like they did to ADKOT.