PDA

View Full Version : I saw Kansas last night at the Paramount Theatre

fraroc
02-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Let me preface this by saying that the show was fucking awesome :rockon::killer:

Me and my fam had no idea that there was going to be an fucking opening act. The opening act was two twats with an acoustic guitar and and bongo drum. Um, excuse me but I've been waiting since September to see Kansas so get the fuck off the stage and give this young Wheathead what he paid for :fupunk: that was probably the only bad thing of the night.

Now on to the concert itself. At about 9:15PM, an hour and 15 minutes later than I expected, Kansas went on stage and this weird-ass sythesizer noise intro began to blare across the theatre which segued into an instrumental version of "I Can Fly" off of the Freaks Of Nature album. Next was "Paradox", Steve Walsh's keys were not working properly during that song so instead of an organ sound coming out, a synthesizer sound came out. It was a fuck-up but It gave an interesting twist to the intro. David Ragsdale, the violinist/rhythm guitarist made the fucking show. There were little kids and grown adults looking at that man just mesmerized. Next up was a live staple "Point of Know Return" and then "Song For America" which included some kickass violin improvisations by Ragsdale. Then came "The Wall" in which Steve Walsh sang almost perfectly. Up next was a song that frankly, I did NOT expect them to play, "Cheyenne Anthem". Next came two more live staples, "Hold On" which featured David Ragsdale playing rhythm guitar AND violin and "Dust In The Wind". Next came two songs that were one of the first songs that Kansas EVER written, "Can I Tell You" and "Journey From MariaBronn" All five members just put their hearts and souls into preforming those two tunes in their entirety. Then came another soulful song, "Miracles out of Nowhere" that also featured a very short guitar solo by Richard Williams aka Eyepatch Dude. Next came one of my personal favorites, "Icarus (Bourne on Wings of Steel)" which is a kickass tune about WWII and the Legend of Icarus. It also featured Ragsdale playing both guitar and violin as well as some kickass fiddle solos! Also, you know that you are a young Kansas fan when you find yourself fistpumping like The Situation to "Portrait (He Knew)" :biggrin:.
Then they left the stage, and returned later two do two more live staples including their biggest hit. "Fight Fire with Fire" and "Carry On Wayward Son" I was trying my absolute hardest to get people on their feet and dancing during the encore, I got some of the younger people in the crowd to stand and get into the moment, but some fucking old tight-ass cunts just hate having fun, SUCKS FOR THEM.

Anyways, it was a good show, if any of my fellow Rotharmy soldiers are from Long Island and you didn't go, sad to say but you missed out big time. Kansas has been around for 39 years and they're not boring to see at all! They still kick major ass and they deserve to be playing in sold out football arenas.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-03-2013, 12:36 PM
I saw ELO and Kansas together about 20 years ago...

Dueling rock violinists, fantastic....

Kristy
02-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Va Beach VH Fan has all the luck in life.

Dave's Bitch
02-03-2013, 02:38 PM

You're telling me.He has seen Barry Manilow in concert ;)

DONNIEP
02-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Barry Manilow rules!!!

fraroc
02-03-2013, 02:48 PM

Go be a cunt someplace else.

ThrillsNSpills
02-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Well it explains a lot, doesn't it? :)

Va Beach VH Fan
02-03-2013, 05:25 PM
You're telling me.He has seen Barry Manilow in concert ;)

Damn, you've got a great memory !!

SunisinuS
02-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks Fraroc.....Kansas one of the all time favs....saw them in Utah of all places with one of my best buds who is also a huge Kansas fan.

One of that bands that fights it out in my head for parity/supremacy with Kansas:

Nitro Express
02-03-2013, 08:03 PM
LOL! You can see the naive 1970's enthusiasm. They thought we were going into a new age and they dressed for it. They probably actually thought we would have flying cars in 2013. LSD and technology was going to pave the way to more enlightened living. It was a nice dream.

Hardrock69
02-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Great band. There is no other band around these days that can compare.

Certainly when it comes to quality of songwriting.

fraroc
02-04-2013, 08:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ_wjv6RqqQ

No one can deny this is an epic fucking song.

Nitro Express
02-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Great band. There is no other band around these days that can compare.

Certainly when it comes to quality of songwriting.

What you have to remember was the public education system was better when these guys went through it and also parenting was better. So they had a solid foundation of education and probably had to take piano lessons as kids and all that. Then they had new electronic toys to play with and an old patriarchical system they wanted to rebel against and you mix that all together and you had that kind of high quality pushing the envelope.

If you are dumb, lazy, with no real base skills it's impossible to pull off a high quality counter culture movement.

Hardrock69
02-05-2013, 01:16 AM
True.

Thing is, these days it is even more possible for young musicians to learn how to do this stuff, with the advent of performing arts magnet schools as well as various "schools of rock", etc. that did not exist in the 50s-60s.