View Full Version : Stunt Kites

ZahZoo
02-08-2013, 12:11 PM
I have several and enjoy flying...

This guy is amazing!!

Hardrock69
02-08-2013, 12:53 PM
That's awesome.

I used to fly kites when I was a kid. This was back when you could actually buy kites made out of 2 wooden sticks and paper.

Then eventually, I would just get some 1/4" dowel rod, cut them to size, and use newspaper and string to make them from scratch.

My goal in life (as an 8-year-old) was to buy several miles worth of kite string and fly the thing so high it would go out of sight.

Never got around to it.

Had a couple of box kites at one time, and a Japanese fish-kite.

Nitro Express
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
I did more untangling kite string and climbing trees than actually flying kites.

lesfunk
02-08-2013, 02:17 PM
I had a customer of mine who was into stunt kites. I prefer stunt R/C airplanes but that stuff looks pretty sweet, In fact after watching that video, that guy is a fucking artist!

Hardrock69
02-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Ha...Nitro, is your name Charlie Brown? You apparently lived near a kite-eating tree! :hee:

Hardrock69
02-08-2013, 02:47 PM
There is video on youtube of someone who created a lifesize r/c controlled Superman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQGAYaQTEE

lesfunk
02-08-2013, 03:00 PM
that's some funny shit right there yes indeed....

Nickdfresh
02-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Stunt Predator drones are much more fun...

Nitro Express
02-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Ha...Nitro, is your name Charlie Brown? You apparently lived near a kite-eating tree! :hee:

Kite eating power lines too.

Nitro Express
02-08-2013, 05:08 PM
A friend of my wife actually got killed flying a kite. He would fly these huge kites off the beach in Washington state and he had to wear a harness so they wouldn't pick him up. He was testing one he had just built out of the bed of a moving pickup truck and the kite picked him up, stalled and dropped him on the pavement. He hit his head and died.

ZahZoo
02-08-2013, 06:04 PM
I've got a couple of gull wing styled in 6' & 8' like this below. Plus a para-sail type that I only use in light wind because it'll lift me off the ground.

http://www.windpowersports.com/images/kites/new-tech/techno/techno-stunt-kite.png

cadaverdog
02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
A friend of my wife actually got killed flying a kite. He would fly these huge kites off the beach in Washington state and he had to wear a harness so they wouldn't pick him up. He was testing one he had just built out of the bed of a moving pickup truck and the kite picked him up, stalled and dropped him on the pavement. He hit his head and died.
I also had a friend who made a harness to fly his stunt kite off the side of this mountain. Luckily we thought about it a little and tied a rope from the harness to the truck. But it wasn't tight and he flew a few feet and came to an abrupt stop face first. No rope and he would have gone right off the side of the mountain.

Hardrock69
02-09-2013, 03:50 AM
Gotta be careful when doing shit like that, or it's instant doom.

clarathecarrot
02-09-2013, 09:29 AM
DAMMITT!!! This is the second day in a row I have taken all my clothes off and rolled the drum of Jergens over to the computer and clicked on this thread hoping for, Kunt Sites...DANM U DYSLEXIA!!!

cadaverdog
02-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Gotta be careful when doing shit like that, or it's instant doom.
Couldn't believe a 3 or 4 pound kite could pick a 250 pound man up off the ground.

Hardrock69
02-09-2013, 04:50 PM
WIND = A force to be reckoned with.

Nitro Express
02-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Water too. People don't realize 2 feet of fast moving water can take a big truck downstream. Too many people try to cross flash floods in vehicles and end up going for a white water ride in their vehicle.