PDA

View Full Version : Newly Discovered Comet May Be Seen This Week - Feb. 12-13

Hardrock69
02-10-2013, 03:35 AM
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/06feb_panstarrs/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlenAvqLCI

ashstralia
02-10-2013, 07:11 AM
apparently the one at the end of the year, 'ISON' is gonna be the best one in our lifetimes so far.

Hardrock69
02-10-2013, 02:15 PM
That oughta be fun, considering I got to see Halley's Comet back in the day...

ashstralia
02-10-2013, 09:55 PM
did you see hyakutake in '96? here it was much more impressive than hale-bopp. covered a full 1/3rd of the sky.

clarathecarrot
02-15-2013, 07:41 PM
HR are you going to get your telescope out tonight have we got the info on wether or not this can be seen in the Northern Hemisphere..?

What's the, Straight Dope..man..?

Maybe the NASA website has the intel..?

I think I got the, Cosmic Poop.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?collection_id=14483&media_id=159852791&module=homepage

I think it was a southern hemisphere only observation and I think from this link it has already been and gone..lol....

...........sumbitch, I asked a question answered it was too late and I was wrong...awesome!!

clarathecarrot
02-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Maybe it was really Zephram Cocran finally reaching warp speed (the asteriod story was a government cover up) and soon we will be getting first contact from the Vulcans..?

Or Zephram failed and that was what crashed into the Ural Mountains or wherever in Russia today and the asteroid footage of the passing by earth was the Vulcans not seing his trail and they just continued on with their survey and never will make first contact with earth.

Gottan be one of those two or a good script for the next Star Trek Movie..

Kristy
02-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Another ghey comet.

clarathecarrot
02-15-2013, 08:15 PM
At least it wasn't a ghey comment.

Hardrock69
02-16-2013, 02:33 AM
Yes, I forgot to mention it was visible only in the Southern Hemisphere if you had a telescope. Not visible by the naked eye. And you could just tune in to an observatory website in Aussieland to see it (as mentioned above). It was not visible in Europe and the US because it was passing by during daylight hours.

Ash, yes, I did see the one in 1996. It was a trip!

I am looking forward to the one at the end of this year. I will be dragging my Nikon out to get some good time exposure shots of it.

clarathecarrot
02-16-2013, 11:31 AM
You need a alt azmuth timer... whattever those words I used to know are, it is a battery or electric operated device that follows the earth rotation in real time following declination and inclination, like on the bottom of a telescope get some great pics that way.

Or a adaptor to your telescope that fits a NIkon camera body bayonet.

I know you already know all of this jazz I am just say'n.

Hardrock69
02-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Do not need an alt azimuth timer if your exposure is under 30 seconds or so. Sure the exposure will not be as super sharp as if you you use one, but the blurriness is not visible to the naked eye. I take 20 second exposures and they are just fine. Your timers are only useful if you are taking exposures of, say, an hour or so. Most DSLRs will go to an ISO of 3200 minimum. The more recent, high-dollar DSLRs will go to an ISO of 25,600. When your CCD is that sensitive, there is no need to take exposures longer than 10 seconds for average photos of the night sky.

ashstralia
02-16-2013, 10:34 PM
I am looking forward to the one at the end of this year. I will be dragging my Nikon out to get some good time exposure shots of it.

excellent, mate! astronomy.com says it should be naked eye by halloween, visible in daylight (!!) by late november.

Nitro Express
02-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Another ghey comet.

Hail Bop was not big deal. I got used to looking north and seeing it in the sky. Then it went away.

Kristy
02-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Hail Bop was not big deal. I got used to looking north and seeing it in the sky. Then it went away.

It was if you were in a suicidal religious cult at the time.

Nitro Express
02-16-2013, 11:22 PM
It was if you were in a suicidal religious cult at the time.

That was just natural circumstances adding some chlorine to the gene pool. If stupid people want to kill themselves we should just stand aside and let fate take it's course. One reason we have the problems we do now is we subsidize stupidity. We need to let stupidity destroy itself so it doesn't bring the rest of us down with it.

Angel
02-17-2013, 01:05 AM

Hail Bopp was great. I was living in the boonies on Vancouver Island at the time and it looked like a big second moon for months.

FORD
02-17-2013, 01:14 AM
Another ghey comet.

Gay Comet was a horse.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/gay+comet

FORD
02-17-2013, 01:16 AM
Hail Bopp was great. I was living in the boonies on Vancouver Island at the time and it looked like a big second moon for months.

The sky was clear long enough for you to see it?

Seems like every time I've been on the island, it's been rainy. (Except for maybe Victoria, because they're right on the edge of the Olympic Rain Shadow)

Angel
02-17-2013, 01:21 AM
The sky was clear long enough for you to see it?

Seems like every time I've been on the island, it's been rainy. (Except for maybe Victoria, because they're right on the edge of the Olympic Rain Shadow)

Amazingly enough, yeah it was. That was a weird year, weather wise. I went to the Island for Xmas this year. 10 days of that dreary shit and I was ready to kill someone. I could never live there again...

Nitro Express
02-17-2013, 01:33 AM
This winter has been a normal winter here weather wise. Last year in the lower elevations people rode their motorcycles in January the weather was that mild. Not his year.

FORD
02-17-2013, 01:36 AM
It's been fairly mild for winter here, temperature wise. Ironically, the only time I really needed to have the heat on for any length of time was the first two weeks of January, which was when my fucking furnace was dead.

But that's alright.... after that ice storm clusterfuck last year, who needed another winter?

Angel
02-17-2013, 01:47 AM
It's been fairly mild for winter here, temperature wise. Ironically, the only time I really needed to have the heat on for any length of time was the first two weeks of January, which was when my fucking furnace was dead.

But that's alright.... after that ice storm clusterfuck last year, who needed another winter?

We've been fairly mild temperature wise. Only a few -40 days and only one brutal -57 windchill day. But do we ever have a lot of snow!

We usually get about 42" annually. We had about 30 in November alone. I'm considering building an ark for when it all melts...