PDA

View Full Version : The SEAL Who Killed Bin Laden Says He's Been Sold Down The River

Nickdfresh
02-11-2013, 11:38 AM
SEAL who shot bin Laden speaks out
By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News | The Lookout – 1 hr 51 mins ago

The Situation Room of the White House on May 1, 2011. (Pete Souza/White House)

The U.S. Navy SEAL who shot and killed Osama bin Laden is speaking out for the first time since the May 1, 2011, raid on the al-Qaida leader's compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

In an interview with Esquire, the former SEAL—identified as "The Shooter" due to what the magazine described as "safety" reasons—said he's been largely abandoned by the U.S. government since leaving the military last fall.

He told Esquire he decided to speak out to both correct the record of the bin Laden mission and to put a spotlight on how some of the U.S. military's highly trained and accomplished soldiers are treated by the government once they return to civilian life.

Despite killing the world's most-wanted terrorist, he said, he was not given a pension, health care or protection for himself or his family.

"[SEAL command] told me they could get me a job driving a beer truck in Milwaukee," he told Esquire.

Plus, he said, "my health care for me and my family stopped. I asked if there was some transition from my Tricare to Blue Cross Blue Shield. They said no. You're out of the service, your coverage is over. Thanks for your 16 years. Go f--- yourself."

The problem seems to be that "The Shooter" left the military well before the 20-year requirement for retirement benefits.

According to the magazine, the government provides 180 days of transitional health care benefits, but the Shooter was ineligible because he did not agree to remain on active duty in a support role or become a "reservist." Instead, the magazine noted, he will "have to wait at least eight months to have his disability claims adjudicated."

The SEAL also gave his account of the historic raid, including the moment he pulled the trigger and shot bin Laden.

“In that second, I shot him, two times in the forehead," he told Esquire. "Bap! Bap! The second time as he’s going down. He crumpled onto the floor in front of his bed. He was dead. I watched him take his last breaths. And I remember as I watched him breathe out the last part of air, I thought: Is this the best thing I've ever done, or the worst thing I've ever done?

"I'm not religious," he added. "But I always felt I was put on the earth to do something specific. After that mission, I knew what it was."

He also recalled watching CNN's coverage of the first anniversary of bin Laden's death.

"They were saying, 'So now we're taking viewer e-mails. Do you remember where you were when you found out Osama bin Laden was dead?' And I was thinking: Of course I remember. I was in his bedroom looking down at his body."

In September 2012, fellow former SEAL Team 6 member Matt Bissonnette published a controversial book, "No Easy Day," under a pen name about the raid, drawing the ire of both his fellow SEALs and the Pentagon.

A spokeswoman for Esquire told Yahoo News that the magazine did not pay the SEAL for the interview.

Yahoo News (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/seal-shot-osama-bin-laden-speaks-143245195.html)

Nickdfresh
02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
I don't know why for the life of me why this guy just didn't four more years, at least in the Reserve...

ZahZoo
02-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Maybe he'd had enough military crap and was ready to move on.

Of course he couldn't be publicly recognized for his role in that mission as he'd have a target on his life and his family's forever. On the other hand why he couldn't have quietly gotten some sort of special deal for having done the deed is something that is odd but no surprise he was treated like any other vet...

Hardrock69
02-11-2013, 11:59 AM
No shit. He put in 16 already.

vh rides again
02-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Why should he be entitled to anything that any other combat vet is not?

Fuck, there are guys out there that did some heroic shit in the big wars and didn't get a damn thing for it.

he should have finished his 20 years like everyone else.

DLR Bridge
02-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Perhaps he was guilt stricken upon finding out from Elvis that he shot a double and not the real deal.

Nickdfresh
02-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Perhaps he was guilt stricken upon finding out from Elvis that he shot a double and not the real deal.

;) Haha. I was waiting for that or for Elvis to proclaim that Bin Laden was already deaded... :)

I'm not sure why he DIDN'T HAVE to serve out four years in the Reserve.

I'm not sure how it works for the Navy Reserve or for SEALs, but there's a chance he could have shuffled papers two-days-a-month and gotten a full pension at 60 at least. He also can easily get a gig working for a security company I hear, for a lot of money. There's something up with this guy...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2013, 01:23 PM
I don't know why for the life of me why this guy just didn't four more years, at least in the Reserve...

You beat me to it....

With all due respect to his highly-dangerous missions, we would have normally said anyone getting out after 16 years was insane....

But I understand why he did it....

At the same time, I can't see the Navy giving him special treatment providing retirement benefits 4 years before his 20.... That would set an incredibly risky precedent....

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Maybe he'd had enough military crap and was ready to move on.

Well, that may have been the case... The Invisible Man knows that we all dealt with "military crap" in 20 years of service....

But if that was the case, then he nor his wife should be complaining about health care costs... Four years is nothing, it's a hockey season, as Tom Cruise says....

The difference between what I pay for health care as a Navy retiree and what a civilian pays is HUGE....

LoungeMachine
02-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Nice "A Few Good Men" reference, VA....

:gulp:

Sorkin's best script ever.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Nice "A Few Good Men" reference, VA....

Sorkin's best script ever.

Hehehehe....

Probably told this already, an Air Force buddy of mine was an extra in that movie, as a Sailor....

clarathecarrot
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM
I have been waiting for someone to mention this but you know they give anywhere around 10G for a re-enlisment bonuses.

They also pay very handsomely for early termination of enlistment.

He probably opted for that and spent the money..? I don't understand the lack of medical he is complaining about, that is a wrong take on that and untrue.

He may have a agent and all this is P.R. for a talk show tour...fuck who knows.

Lots of dudes just go for any # of jobs that also are governemnt military retirement continuing like postman or whattever they can finish their years doing that and get full military applied toward that carreer.

The do twenty years there or wherever and get 2 retirements...goddamn smart way about it.

Best of luck to him.

Guitar Shark
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Four years is nothing, it's a hockey season, as Tom Cruise says....

I hear you, but wouldn't he be risking getting called up again? Sorry if that's a naive question but it seems a possibility to me.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2013, 01:37 PM
I have been waiting for someone to mention this but you know they give anywhere around 10G for a re-enlisment bonuses.

They also pay very handsomely for early termination of enlistment.

He probably opted for that and spent the money..? I don't understand the lack of medical he is complaining about, that is a wrong take on that and untrue.

He may have a agent and all this is P.R. for a talk show tour...fuck who knows.

Lots of dudes just go for any # of jobs that also are governemnt military retirement continuing like postman or whattever they can finish their years doing that and get full military applied toward that carreer.

The do twenty years there or wherever and get 2 retirements...goddamn smart way about it.

Best of luck to him.

SRB's are a helluva lot more than 10G's... I got only one SRB in my 20 years, that was after I had been in about 14 years, and it was only 5G.......

And unless it was highly unusual, SEAL's would not be included in the people that would be offered early retirement....

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2013, 01:42 PM
I hear you, but wouldn't he be risking getting called up again? Sorry if that's a naive question but it seems a possibility to me.

Well, this is a difficult thing to speculate on, because the military has politics like everywhere else....

One thing that I DO think he could have tried, because of his heroic actions, is if he wanted to finish his 20 and not continue with the covert missions he could have gotten his C.O. to try to get him orders in a non-deployable capacity for one tour and then retire. For example, with the SEAL HQ's here in VA Beach.

But again, that is a just speculation....

clarathecarrot
02-11-2013, 01:50 PM
SRB's are a helluva lot more than 10G's... I got only one SRB in my 20 years, that was after I had been in about 14 years, and it was only 5G.......

And unless it was highly unusual, SEAL's would not be included in the people that would be offered early retirement....

I will take your word for that .

A friend of mine got 10G's back in 2004 for a 4 years, SRB,<( I looked that up) and he was a supply Army Seargent FC 10 years in service. I was like shit do they take old guys..lol.

I have heard from some military guys that I know that the government want guys out before the 20 due to long term payments for 20 / 30 year guys. So, they offer early out from enlistment contracts..with full bennies and a honorable and cash.

I guess it is not cool in some respects.

I can see a seal being a asset they wouldn't want to loose that is a investment...I get your point.

Nickdfresh
02-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Well, this is a difficult thing to speculate on, because the military has politics like everywhere else....

One thing that I DO think he could have tried, because of his heroic actions, is if he wanted to finish his 20 and not continue with the covert missions he could have gotten his C.O. to try to get him orders in a non-deployable capacity for one tour and then retire. For example, with the SEAL HQ's here in VA Beach.

But again, that is a just speculation....

I think it might be the case that guys involved in special operations are in a different category. I know, or knew, a girl whose boyfriend was a Ranger and left the Army, but was essentially considered the same deal as a commissioned officer was when I was in - that even when separated they're considered in the forever-reserve and can be called back until nearly 60 years old...

Nitro Express
02-11-2013, 02:31 PM
The days of fighting large military engagements are gone for now. Special forces are the tip of the spear. So I imagine those guys are under a lot of pressure and it just wears them down. It's not so much how much time you put in, it's what you did in that time. It's easy to say you will do four more years when nobody is shooting as you and your life is in danger doing your duty.

People interested in such stuff will just work for contractors. The money is way better. The only reason to be in the military was the loyalty thing and that seems to be eroding.

Nickdfresh
02-11-2013, 02:54 PM
The days of fighting large military engagements are gone for now. Special forces are the tip of the spear....

Um no. A guy just got awarded The Congressional Medal of Honor today after a large scale engagement in Afghanistan in which an Army outpost was nearly overrun and wiped out. The Army is getting smaller, but they still need armor and large unit infantry training. Personally, I think the paradigm has shifted where we're special operation happy with an overemphasis on commandos and everyone being "special" instead of just well rounded, trained infantry supported by a small number of operators...

Headly1984
02-11-2013, 03:24 PM
4 yrs to go .. what did he expect besides a metal for doing his job ?

He wrote a book under a pseudonym.. did he expect millions or 72 Virgins ..

he might have been the shooter - but if it wasn;t him it was going to be a different soldier

- idiot - he made his decision for whatever reason to leave the service - he can now find work like the rest of the unemployed

If he is really complaining the best job they can find him is driving a truck - he must be able to drive a truck and should take the job - it probably pays ~$50k +/-

What does he want celebrity status and a tv talk show ? He may benefit from a pysch eval ...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2013, 03:31 PM
4 yrs to go .. what did he expect besides a metal for doing his job ?

He wrote a book under a pseudonym.. did he expect millions or 72 Virgins ..

he might have been the shooter - but if it wasn;t him it was going to be a different soldier

- idiot - he made his decision for whatever reason to leave the service - he can now find work like the rest of the unemployed

If he is really complaining the best job they can find him is driving a truck - he must be able to drive a truck and should take the job - it probably pays ~$50k +/-

What does he want celebrity status and a tv talk show ? He may benefit from a pysch eval ...

It's "medal", and this is a different guy than the one that wrote the book.....

Headly1984
02-11-2013, 03:35 PM
either way this guy is a whiner not a winner

Seshmeister
02-11-2013, 05:16 PM
The fact he didn't get any special treatment is yet more evidence if any was needed that this wasn't a cover up.

As far as the hero stuff goes, 25 heavily armed guys broke into a house in the middle of the night and shot a middle aged unarmed man in the head.

Let's not get too carried away...

BITEYOASS
02-11-2013, 05:19 PM
I call bullshit on this article. There is no way this dude couldn't find a job nowadays as a high-priced consultant for a defense contractor, or at least change his MOS and transfer to the Seebees. Besides, WTF is it with all these supposed SEALs that claimed to have killed Bin Laden. Especially the one that wrote a book about a year ago, why hasn't the CIA snuffed him out? Sounds like a sailor who has a shitty MOS (i.e. admin, boatswain) and wants to lie to people in order to get attention, money and most important of all....pussy!

Guitar Shark
02-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Besides, WTF is it with all these supposed SEALs that claimed to have killed Bin Laden. Especially the one that wrote a book about a year ago, why hasn't the CIA snuffed him out?

The guy who wrote the book didn't claim to be the one who killed him; he claimed to be part of the team who did it.

BITEYOASS
02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
The guy who wrote the book didn't claim to be the one who killed him; he claimed to be part of the team who did it.

Nonetheless, I call bullshit! Hell, I remember a few years ago when there was some phony SEALs doing the same thing.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2013, 05:36 PM
I call bullshit on this article. There is no way this dude couldn't find a job nowadays as a high-priced consultant for a defense contractor, or at least change his MOS and transfer to the Seebees. Besides, WTF is it with all these supposed SEALs that claimed to have killed Bin Laden. Especially the one that wrote a book about a year ago, why hasn't the CIA snuffed him out? Sounds like a sailor who has a shitty MOS (i.e. admin, boatswain) and wants to lie to people in order to get attention, money and most important of all....pussy!

The Navy doesn't have MOS', they have rates.... (I know, I know, picky....)

Headly1984
02-11-2013, 05:39 PM
It was an assassination - Bill C. just missed the guy when he ordered cruise missiles into the camel jockey's tent

doesn't matter who shot him - the shooter was a soldier doing his job

Do I believe the body was dumped over board .. no , maybe - to me it is 50/50 he is buried with family in Saudi Arabia - he was from the royal house of Saud no ? a major partner in the oil biz and ally of USA in the mid east .. but I am convinced he is dad and that was / is the important thing

Seshmeister
02-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Do I believe the body was dumped over board .. no , maybe - to me it is 50/50 he is buried with family in Saudi Arabia - he was from the royal house of Saud no ?

No but his family were good friends with them.

It's important to remember how big these families are, it's not the same as the way we think of families they are more like tribes.

The Saudi royal family has about 15 000 members.

clarathecarrot
02-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Ok you guys got me all negative here is some shit.

He can re-enlist at any time and probably walk back in with the same rank especially with his file history as a important solgier, do 4 more years and retire they don't start you back at zero years after time out of service.

He may have taken a early retirement and signed some shit got some cash and there he is with little or no need of his skills in civilian life.

Maybe though he has a bad discharge due to some behavior we don't know about and that is why he has no bennies.

In that case he may have a bar-to re-enlistment as he cant re-up and finish his 4 years fucked and double fucked.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2013, 05:53 PM
doesn't matter who shot him - the shooter was a soldier doing his job

He was a Sailor, not a soldier....

LoungeMachine
02-11-2013, 05:55 PM
The Saudi royal family has about 15 000 members.

Fuck I hope they do a "Secret Santa" at Christmas time.....

LoungeMachine
02-11-2013, 05:55 PM
He was a Sailor, not a soldier....

This thread is really bringing out the Anal in you, dude...... :lmao:

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
My .02....

He can re-enlist at any time and probably walk back in with the same rank especially with his file history as a important solgier, do 4 more years and retire they don't start you back at zero years after time out of service. ** HE probably could do that, but many times no, it would be at a lesser rank. And he's a SAILOR. **

He may have taken a early retirement and signed some shit got some cash and there he is with little or no need of his skills in civilian life. ** Again, the Navy would not offer early retirement to SEAL's, their skill set is far too important to offer them early retirement. **

Maybe though he has a bad discharge due to some behavior we don't know about and that is why he has no bennies.

In that case he may have a bar-to re-enlistment as he cant re-up and finish his 4 years fucked and double fucked. ** Highly doubtful. And he has no "bennies" because he didn't do his 20, like anyone who didn't do their 20. **

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2013, 05:59 PM
This thread is really bringing out the Anal in you, dude...... :lmao:

U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer, Retired

Bitch... ;)

LoungeMachine
02-11-2013, 06:00 PM

Bitch... ;)

Why does Don Rickles suddenly come to mind?

;)

Zing!
02-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Snap!

Seshmeister
02-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Bitch... ;)

I never got that before, so that's why it's called Petty Officer... :)

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Why does Don Rickles suddenly come to mind?

;)

From his HBO documentary...

LoungeMachine
02-11-2013, 06:05 PM
:lmao:

LoungeMachine
02-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Classic!!!

Headly1984
02-11-2013, 06:06 PM

Bitch... ;)

My Father was Air Force during Korea

soldier /sailor = armed forces member with a job to be done and would be done by the next guy if he wasn't the one - in the services you aint jack chit - your a tool for the command regardless of the label

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2013, 06:07 PM
I never got that before, so that's why it's called Petty Officer... :)

Don't you have some bagpipes to suck on ?? ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2013, 06:09 PM
My Father was Air Force during Korea

soldier /sailor = armed forces member with a job to be done and would be done by the next guy if he wasn't the one - in the services you aint jack chit - your a tool for the command regardless of the label

Un-huh.... Call a sailor a soldier or vice versa and see how they like it....

Headly1984
02-11-2013, 06:11 PM
this is the internet who gives a phuck

edit - sailors would be the ones to be mislabeled if anything or sensytive- kind of like calling a sheriff deputy officer instead of deputy

Zing!
02-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Un-huh.... Call a sailor a soldier or vice versa and see how they like it....

Just don't call 'em late for dinner.

clarathecarrot
02-11-2013, 06:36 PM
My .02....
\

Originally Posted by clarathecarrot

He can re-enlist at any time and probably walk back in with the same rank especially with his file history as a important solgier, do 4 more years and retire they don't start you back at zero years after time out of service. ** HE probably could do that, but many times no, it would be at a lesser rank. And he's a SAILOR. **

He may have taken a early retirement and signed some shit got some cash and there he is with little or no need of his skills in civilian life. ** Again, the Navy would not offer early retirement to SEAL's, their skill set is far too important to offer them early retirement. **

In that case he may have a bar-to re-enlistment as he cant re-up and finish his 4 years fucked and double fucked. ** Highly doubtful. And he has no "bennies" because he didn't do his 20, like anyone who didn't do their 20. **

Sorry about the "the solgier thing" but throw that MOS or Branch away and everyone is a hard dick with a rifle..my bad I understand about branch pride and whattnot.

The only reason I thought he would retain rank is he is well decorated and more than just semi famous so they may allow some shit hell I don't know.

But that last sentence is all dumbshit anyway.

What a lot of people don't realize is little or none of your military service transferes to civilian life especially Navy Seal don't take this the wrong way but asside from a similar type job out side like mention as a consultant of that type of work he could probably only qualify for the simplest of jobs little pay to start and that is a shock to alot of military personel when trying to start over outside of the military.

I know you already know that I am just say'n.

LoungeMachine
02-11-2013, 06:37 PM
thome, sometimes you don't actually have to hit the reply button, you can just leave it in your head.

clarathecarrot
02-11-2013, 06:48 PM
thome, sometimes you don't actually have to hit the reply button, you can just leave it in your head.

Thanks daddy,...So,...

is my reply cosidered the spam and this is when you delete this post to the dump, you start a new thread about me titled -claragottasolgiergunforsomemaninagayway-..?:doh:

I also want to ad on subject: Guys and perhaps women also feel very important during their service in the military all their want to get the fuck out becomes somewhat disturbing once they find it is 16 years later, and I am exactly where I left off when I joined it is like they have been on another planet.

Very difficult to adjust..character and family must come into play for the adjustments and a feeling of being deserted by the military is normal because the big green daddy ain't serving as your leader anymore.

ELVIS
02-12-2013, 10:21 AM

Perhaps...

Or this story is just another made up part of the fake story...

They just keep piling the bullshit up through books, movies, articles, and other propaganda, which keeps the truth buried increasingly deeper under the shit over time...

:elvis:

DLR Bridge
02-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Perhaps...

They just keep piling the bullshit up through books, movies, articles, and other propaganda, which keeps the truth buried increasingly deeper under the shit over time...

I knew you'd spot that one! You may be right. I don't care for how that whole thing was handled in the slightest.

clarathecarrot
02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Perhaps...

The best part of all of this is much like the deterioration of our American way of life, duty to god and country and so....

The leftists and liberals have somehow made it ok for people who have sworn and oath to secrecy these, "military heros" for spilling their guts about top secrete information.

I believe everyone swears and oath when entering the military and I'll bet, 50% of those have to swear another to handle top secret documents.

I would think a SEAL is in the deffinately top secret catagory.

What has happened is these so called military heros have forgotten that doesn't just mean while in the military it means for the rest of your life.

They should be tried as a,... traitor sounds a bit harsh,.... but time in the box in Leavenworth should follow...being as most are in a innactive reserve and still under the USMJ authority.

I realize ex military sometimes talk with others who can understand as in old solgiers but that is usually with other solgiers who were there...?

Books and CNN logic about this crap is wrong.

ELVIS
02-12-2013, 12:57 PM
It's a huge hoax, carrot...

clarathecarrot
02-12-2013, 02:10 PM
It's a huge hoax, carrot...

Ok, but my post isn't.

I am disturbed by these secret military information leaks and the people who propogate these falshoods or truths they shouldn't fall under the free press or first ammendment protections.

Fodder to sell commercial times on CNN or not it is wrong and one of the pussifications of America.

VAiN
02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Perhaps...

I believe he was dead years ago.. I need more than the government saying 'trust me' to believe otherwise.

Nickdfresh
02-12-2013, 06:58 PM
I believe he was dead years ago.. I need more than the government saying 'trust me' to believe otherwise.

Maybe they dug him up, reanimated him with a zombie virus, then reshot him? Makes perfect sense...

Nitro Express
02-12-2013, 07:03 PM

It's like a fisherman coming into the bar bragging they caught this huge fish with no proof they really did. The excitement tends to die quick.

VAiN
02-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Maybe they dug him up, reanimated him with a zombie virus, then reshot him? Makes perfect sense...

As believable as the US suddenly giving a shit about a proper Muslim funeral for public enemy #1 all of a sudden to not offend as we destroy the region. I just don't buy it.

Nickdfresh
02-13-2013, 08:19 AM
As believable as the US suddenly giving a shit about a proper Muslim funeral for public enemy #1 all of a sudden to not offend as we destroy the region. I just don't buy it.

Um, did you ever read about the Iraq War, and how about callous U.S. actions offending the Islamic world only inflamed anti-American sentiment and helped launch the insurgency there in 2003? And I'm not sure dumping a body in the ocean is the proper Muslim edicate anyways...

Which U.S. enemies haven't received a proper burial?

ELVIS
02-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Obomba and the Seals didn't kill Bin Laden...

It's made up, Dickforbrains...

ELVIS
02-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Hey, how 'bout Obama and the Seals as a band name ??

:biggrin:

Nickdfresh
02-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Obomba and the Seals didn't kill Bin Laden...

It's made up, Dickforbrains...

Then who did, El-fuckwit?

How did he "die"?