PDA

View Full Version : Two Old Fuddy Duddys

Kristy
02-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Off to see The Who for their 'Quadrophenia Tour' tonight. Roommate bough the tickets as a birthday present and she is highly religious. Wonder if this is going to be any friggin' good or two old dinosaurs trying to persevere their heritage on stage. Think this is going to be more of a religious experience for her than me. Be interesting to see what Pete can still do.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2012/07/Who.jpg

Fuck! We're old!

lesfunk
02-12-2013, 07:54 PM
I hope they're better than when I saw them

Hardrock69
02-13-2013, 12:30 AM
We already know what you are going to say, Krusty:

Ghey
Fail
F A T

cadaverdog
02-13-2013, 05:11 AM
The Who still rocks.

FORD
02-13-2013, 05:17 AM
Well, Pete does maybe. Daltrey's pretty much shot though.

And of course, the other half of the band is dead.

ELVIS
02-13-2013, 07:59 AM
So, what happened ??

The religious bitch left you for dead ??

:biggrin:

clarathecarrot
02-13-2013, 10:12 AM
5 or 6 years ago there was some special on TV with The Who Daltry knocked it out of the park.

Much more interesting to me than Townsend.

I dissagre with you all Daltry has it more than Townsend as far as age is concerned has held up much better.

Jack68
02-13-2013, 10:21 AM
5 or 6 years ago there was some special on TV with The Who Daltry knocked it out of the park.

Much more interesting to me than Townsend.

I dissagre with you all Daltry has it more than Townsend as far as age is concerned has held up much better.

Daltrey with an e...Townshend with an h.For the love of god......

Jack68
02-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Zak has been sitting out the last few shows...id be pretty bent about that.I pretty much watch Pete and Zak the whole night anyway.

clarathecarrot
02-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Sorry I do the same thing with Hendrix..lol Hendrichs...lol.

Lack of attention to detail or bad brain..lol

Both, for the record.

One of the great bands I have never seen live I guess I was burned on them by the end of the '70s due to friends having thier LP's in constant rotation at every party everywhere.

Hope Kristy laces her review with some good things until the innevitable laced up corsette string being way to tight today for anything other than they sucked ,perhaps she will be dressed in pretty pink, this morning.

Kristy
02-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Far from ghey but also far from being great.

For one, Daltry's vocals are beyond shot. Last night was The Who trying to be the old Who when they had all that energy to pull off what they did. So when they did their "hits" Baba O'Riley, Can You See The Real Me, even We Won't Get Fooled Again, you felt like you were being fooled for all that energy was gone. Daltry sounds like a cloned Daltry and Townshend must be suffering with arthritis for he did a lot of limited windmilling. The band did sound tired and limited. At times, you wanted to hear Entwhistle's booming bass playing and Moon's Bombastic drumming. Maybe it wasn't The Who from their peak, glory days but it really didn't matter, limitations and their age more than showing it still was a good time.

clarathecarrot
02-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Good review, sounds like money not wasted, ( good b'day present, and happy belated birthday..?) but like some of us,...... I wished I had spent it 30 years ago, type of show...lol.

ELVIS
02-13-2013, 11:48 AM
This is underwhelmingly underwhelming....

:(

ELVIS
02-13-2013, 11:50 AM
I just counted eight people to play that bullshit...

Any more hiding that I missed ??

ELVIS
02-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Make that ten...

:biggrin:

Hardrock69
02-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Kenny had a good time? Musta been a good long line outside his stall in the mens room.

Green Manalishi
02-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Kristy's review was pretty much what I feared . Sometimes the truth hurts . As much as I love classic Who , I just can't bring myself to see this current tour . I saw their first " farewell tour " in '82 and the next " farewell tour " in '89 . I walked away from the first show feeling like I just got my skull crushed and my ass kicked by one of the greatest bands in the world . It was truly on the level of " Great " . The second show , not so much . It was , by all rights good , maybe very good , but certainly not great . That 7 year interim certainly made a difference . By then they had a full band and back-up vocalists behind them . In '82 , it was pure four piece Who . I wish they had gave it a dignified rest in 1982 .

Kristy
02-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Kristy's review was pretty much what I feared . Sometimes the truth hurts.

It's a good show, but it's not The Who. The only problem I has was why advertise it as such? Instead of "Quadrophenia Tour" or whatever, just name it "Pete & Rodger Remember And Try To Play To Better Days."

If Townshend is going to do this under the guise of The Who then simplify it! Instead of Zak who plays each note only if he knows he's getting paid to do so get kid who plays in the style of Moon (but has probably never heard of Moon) and loves to beat the shit ouf the [his] drums and bass player who is as brazen and loud. No horns, no back-up singers, no over-the-top stage lights and just be The Who.

ThrillsNSpills
02-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Can't replace Moon or Entwistle but that's obvious, especially to anyone who's heard Leeds.

Green Manalishi
02-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Kristy - I hope you don't my asking :
How much were tickets ?
How large was the venue ?
Did it sell out ?
Thanx .

Nickdfresh
02-13-2013, 07:21 PM
I just counted eight people to play that bullshit...

Any more hiding that I missed ??

They had like 13 in 1989 when I saw them, including a guy playing some of Townsend's parts...

Kristy
02-13-2013, 07:22 PM
No idea on cost - it was a birthday gift (I'm not sure i want to know)

Pepsi Center - fairly large venue (@20,000 seats) but from what I could tell it was not a sell-out. There was empty seats.

jhale667
02-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Cool review, but still finding it hard to believe Kenny had a good time...anywhere...

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/Grumpy-Cat-Le-Miserable_zpsa18c2340.jpg

Nitro Express
02-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Back when they were full of piss and vinegar.

Jack68
02-14-2013, 10:04 AM
The 2000-01 tour when they went back to a 4 piece was their last great stand.Fucking My wife just beat the shit out of you every night...magic bus cranked and they actually mixed in some different songs every few shows(gettin in tune,i dont know myself,tattoo that kind of shit) and seemed to have fun and some improv moments.I think Zak is the perfect drummer for the who,Moon was horrible after the 76 tour.Watch the kilburn dvd its scary Moon cant keep up with Townshend and Entwistle his skills were shit by then..They had their chance when John was alive to try and make some new music(i do like real good lookin boy and old red wine though.) as a 4 piece but they blew it.Id much rather see Pete do a tour of small places like the supper club in nyc that i saw years ago.

ELVIS
02-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Fucking My wife just beat the shit out of you every night...

Is that good or bad ??

Jack68
02-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Is that good or bad ??

Twas a good thing E.

Kristy
02-14-2013, 12:43 PM
ThI think Zak is the perfect drummer for the who,Moon was horrible after the 76 tour.Watch the kilburn dvd its scary Moon cant keep up with Townshend and Entwistle his skills were shit by then.

That was horsepill taking Moon by then. Would have loved to have seen them between 71 and 74 but The Who's heydays were way, way before my time. I'm happy that I have the opportunity to see The Near Who the other night. Like I said, it wasn't bad, but it certainly was not The Who.

Jack68
02-14-2013, 01:18 PM
My first Who show was @ shea in 82 with the Clash opening up.I was 13 and i went down with my older cousins who were who fans.I was just hoping to hear you better you bet and athena.How is that for behind the times...

Matt White
02-14-2013, 01:19 PM
ZAK is the best drummer they've had since MOON....kinda tough to replace a legend

Still....he kicked them in the ASS at THE CONCERT FOR NEW YORK...they hadn't sounded like THE WHO in ages....& they did that night

Jack68
02-14-2013, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=Matt White;1745263]ZAK is the best drummer they've had since MOON....kinda tough to replace a legend

Still....he kicked them in the ASS at THE CONCERT FOR NEW YORK...they hadn't sounded like THE WHO in ages....& they did that night

amen to that..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dlN55SoF4Q

Kristy
02-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Judging from that you can see how badly missed Entwhistle is.

Hardrock69
02-14-2013, 07:30 PM
That was horsepill taking Moon by then. Would have loved to have seen them between 71 and 74 but The Who's heydays were way, way before my time. I'm happy that I have the opportunity to see The Near Who the other night. Like I said, it wasn't bad, but it certainly was not The Who.

For once I agree with the Fishkunt.

At least I can say I saw what is left of the band. And they did perform my favorite album by them, plus some hits.

I never thought I would get to even see Daltrey and Townsend perform together in concert.

Hardrock69
02-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Palladino is definitely a great bassist, but not in the same class as Old Thunderfingers....

Matt White
02-14-2013, 07:56 PM

Its pretty much impossible to replace a musician of that caliber.............

but it "is what it is"...........a couple of Grandpas play the oldies to the kiddies....nothing wrong with that

Is that guy from FREE still on the keys?!? ;)

chefcraig
02-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Palladino is definitely a great bassist, but not in the same class as Old Thunderfingers....

I never could wrap my head around how great Kenny Jones played and sounded with The Faces, with how positively dreadful he was with The Who.

jhale667
02-14-2013, 08:05 PM

Entwistle was a regular at the Rainbow Bar & Grill... not at all pretentious in any way (despite the fact he was a GOD on the bass), very funny, cool dude. R.I.P.

Pretty mundane at first, but forward to 1:57 and he starts KILLING...

:guitar:

chefcraig
02-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Is that guy from FREE still on the keys?!? ;)

Apparently not, as according to his website, he's now entertaining offers for session work. :confused13:

LINK (http://www.rabbitwho.com/)

jhale667
02-14-2013, 08:10 PM
:killer:

chefcraig
02-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Interesting show review, posted at Rabbit Bundrick's site: LINK (http://www.rabbitwho.com/blog/the-who-is-it-theatre-or-rock-n-roll-a-hardcore-fans-view-of-the-who-in-2013-the-oakland-show/)

THE WHO – IS IT THEATER ‘OR’ ROCK ‘n ROLL…….A HARDCORE FAN’S VIEW OF THE WHO IN 2013 THE OAKLAND SHOW

If this is too long for you to read in its entirety, the show was okay. Great sound and visuals, but staged, rehearsed, no spark, the keyboards sucked. Someone should slap the music director. John Corey needs to take a nap. Details to follow!

What I saw and heard was a group of musicians going through the paces of a long piece of work. The only person on the stage who appeared to be having any fun at all, and putting much into it was Pete Townsend. Daltry went through the motions – but if you look at videos and stills from prior shows, it appeared staged. There is a point during Bell Boy when he turns and watches the video of Keith Moon singing it, and even the hand gestures were basically the same as the show I saw. It didn’t detract from the performance, but the only spontaneity seen on the stage was Pete’s. Anyone who hadn’t seen prior performances would have been amazed. The audio was great. The lighting, stage and visual performance was superb. But, if you saw the 1996 Quadrophenia show, or the 2000 or 2002 shows, this was lackluster. I saw the 2006 Endless Wire show in about the worst place on Earth – Seattle, Washington, and even though the sound was not good, and most people in the Pacific NorthWest are bi-polar, it was better than this. The spark was missing on Friday. In all fairness to Seattle, I did get sober there. However, I think Seattle itself was part of why I drank to excess. When I got sober, I got license plate holders made that said, “Washington – The Bi-Polar State.” Finally, I just left. They may have kicked me out.

I was horribly disappointed by the keyboards. In the few weeks leading up to the show I’d been listening to the recordings from the Shoreline Amphitheater show from 2000, and I listen for the keys. I love “Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere,” from Townsend saying, “This is so fucking stupid,” to the end, but what really sets shows like that apart from what I saw and heard on Friday is the musicianship and the keyboards. I love those recordings. I can hear your piano work, and out of the blue, in the song come these odd funky little synth and organ riffs which are really reminiscent of Won’t Get Fooled Again. It’s just really good. You are a very good, single keyboard player. On Friday, they had 3 passable ones, one of whom had little business being on the stage – and that, unfortunately, is the musical director. Frank Simes had no business being there. Loren Gold was the same as he was in Daltry’s band for Tommy. He may be a great player, but I didn’t see or hear it. He used a Yamaha S90. He had 2 synths or workstations. One, I’m pretty sure was an Access Virus TI2. The other might have been a Kronos, but I couldn’t really tell, and I was unsure what was sequenced and what wasn’t, and what virtual instruments he had. And then there’s John Corey. I thought he was going to drop dead. I was expecting to see Chris Stainton, and I looked at this bloated, white haired guy who spent a fair amount of his time standing up, wiping his face with a towel and then sitting down again and I thought, “What the fuck is this?” The guy had a massive gut. I caught myself thinking, “Is this Santa or Dr. John?” Then I thought, “It must be Santa as Dr. John is very close to being a god.” The piano parts I heard were passable, non-descript, rehearsed – what I’d expect to see and hear from “any” decent group, but not The Who – or any group which would call themselves The Who. I could have carried it off by myself, much better. You did many, many times. What made Tommy a disappointment for me in 2011 made Quadrophenia a disappointment for me on Friday. Except for Pete’s pieces there was absolutely nothing which didn’t appear unscripted. For 5:15, while the clip of John Entwistle played, and Starkey drummed along, Pino left the stage, and then returned at the end to finish up the song. It was great to see and hear the tribute to the greatest rock bass player who ever lived, but to me it was an incredible disservice to one of the greatest living rock bass players around. I would have much rather seen and heard something from Pino than re-watching Entwistle, as good as he was. Again – too rehearsed and staged for my taste. The piano intro to Love Reign O’er me, into the strings, which always gets me emotional, I simply found strange. There was enough of the original to make it recognizable, but Corey threw in these odd pauses, as if waiting for someone to throw him a dog treat, and then added a suspended chord at the end, resolving it to the tonic before Gold brought the strings in, and I just thought, the only thing cheesier would have been if he finished with an “amen,” chord change. And Daltry just could not carry off the vocal for it. He tried, and did an okay job, but there was just no hitting it at the end.

The six hits, following Quadrophenia were okay. Again, Pete’s guitar was the star. Nothing else seemed fresh. As many times as I saw you with The Who – 8 times, playing the same pieces (Except for Endless Wire), there was always something which set the pieces and the shows apart. There was some spark, some excitement, fun. The band may not have been having a good time, but they certainly appeared to. And, I still just do not understand why the end with “Tea and Theater?” It just lends more to the whole “staged” feel, with Roger and his cup of tea. But, lots of people seem to love that. I’m just not one of them. I’m a Who fan. I saw Muse on Monday, and that was lights, bells, whistles, you name it, along with the talent, charisma, etc. In other words, the spark was there.

I’m sure that many, many people left on Friday night astounded at how good the show was, and it was good, but I’m unsure of what I saw. It came across more as a stage musical than a rock concert, and I’m not sure why, but I’d like to punch Frank Simes. He reminded me a little of Neil Sedaka, and I don’t want to punch him. Maybe it was the stupid hat he was wearing. I think that if you had been there, even if there were other keyboard players and YOU had been the director, you could have breathed some life into it, polished it up, made it shine a little. The opening band, Vintage Trouble, was about the best opening band I’ve ever seen. They had the place dancing. They didn’t have a keyboard player, though, so although they sounded great and had incredible stage presence – as you and I both know – any band without a keyboard player sucks.

wolfsbane
02-15-2013, 09:23 AM
The Who is over.

They have made so many bad choices since 1982. It was the schizophrenic behavior of Mr Townshend that ruined everything. He hated the Who. He thought that the music and what it stood for was beneath him. He could not wait to get away from the whole thing. Although he idolizes Mick Jagger, he never understood that you don't bite the hand that feeds you. He killed the Who brand in 1983 and never let it be revived until he was broke in 1995. He did not record new Who music from 1982- endless wire.

Townshend and Daltrey replaced Moon and Entwistle with yes-men who do not challenge the band or the music. Be careful of what you wish for Mr Townshend, you may get it. And now you have.

RIP the who.

Nickdfresh
02-15-2013, 11:04 AM
The Who are over (or should be), but it has little to do with Townsend other than he and his compatriot are too old to effectively project the music without at least Entwistle and a good drummer filling in for the dearly departed. Half the band is dead and other other half are suffering old age and attrition from years of abusing their vocal chords, appendages, and various controlled chemical substances...

Kristy
02-15-2013, 01:07 PM
The Who is over.

They have made so many bad choices since 1982. It was the schizophrenic behavior of Mr Townshend that ruined everything. He hated the Who. He thought that the music and what it stood for was beneath him.

Pete Townshend is a walking contradiction. There was a great Rolling Stone article a few years back (when Rolling Stone actually did journalism) where Townshend was quoted over 15 times since the death of Moon to Entwhistle that "this was the end for The Who" and that "the future of The Who looks bleak" and "The Who will never tour again." I don't believe he was broke in 1995 as much as he could revitalize the name The Who for Broadway productions which, let's face it, is far better than being a book editor and critic of the works T.S. Eliot; his solo outings did not fair much better.

What was Townshend was doing right was making millions off the Broadway plays of both Tommy and Quadrophenia but to keep that going had to reintroduce The Who to a younger audience which is why the dismal Endless Wire was ever recorded which he knew was going to be a bigger pile of garbage than Psychoderlict. It was Daltry and Entwhislte who were broke - neither one of them receiving much in the way of royalty checks due to the fact 98% of all Who songs were penned in Townshend's name. I can remember being young and in high school seeing Dalty on the History Channel doing a 'Louis & Clarke Back On The Trail' whatever remake.

Jack68
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend were never broke..not even close. Daltrey and Townshend and downsized their lifesyle during the 90-96 period.Entwistle was bailed out twice by Townshend by agreeing to tour.Moon dies..the rest of the band wants to continue,Kenney Jones gets the gig.the 79-80 shows were much better than moons last 2 tours.Zak Starkey a yes man.....not sure what that means .Reunited with the who on ice tour in 89 in which they made a shitload of money.I totally agree with the missed oppurtunities of making new music but what can you do?I dont know how much Townshend hated the who as much as the pressure.He should of died a bunch of times and he knew staying on the road or under contract with the who was probably not the healthiest.

ELVIS
02-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Maybe not financially broke...

78/84 guy
02-15-2013, 11:37 PM
I thought the same thing. I don't think they are completely washed up and usless by any means....but the music is starting to sound a little powerless....lacking that ballsy bass. Entwistle was/is vastly underrated.

He was the backbone of that band ! Live for sure. Big chops and tone. The New York thing was their last stand. At least on film.

78/84 guy
02-15-2013, 11:50 PM
All they are doing is a Page/Plant tour but their own names together can't sell tickets like Jim & Rob's did, so they still call it The Who. I don't mind Zak. Great player. But no John makes it sound thin. So bring in the 8 piece band to cover it up. Well they are trying anyway. I would go see them if it wasn't an arm & a leg for a ticket. Even with Rogers vocal limitations these day's.

Nitro Express
02-15-2013, 11:56 PM
To be honest, when Pete got caught with the kiddie porn it bothered me. I don't buy his excuse of doing research. Clearly he probably was an abused child himself and that's probably why he seems ready to snap just under the surface. The Who was a band of misfits with Moon being the biggest one. They made some great songs and were great live but not really a band I like to look into the details on because there seems to be a lot of skeletons there. For me it's just the music and that's it. I actually could care less about that band.

Terry
02-17-2013, 07:50 PM
It seemed for a few years there (1999-2002) that the sonic emphasis had shifted back to the traditional Who 4 piece, with Townshend, Starkey and Entwistle churning out some good stuff live...good enough to mask Daltrey's fading vocal abilities.

But yeah...when you need 6 other musicians up there to pull it off...it's kinda like the 1989 show I saw, where there were just too many fucking people onstage to the point where the original spirit and sound of the band was just lost in excessive instrumental augmentation.

Jack68
02-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Saw em last night with the old man. Good show.....age is definitely catching up with them, but still better than anything that was at the grammys.

Im gonna check out the show they are doing @ the theater @ msg with Elvis costello next thursday.Probably just a condensed quadrophenia and the hits encore but im hoping for just a few of the basics,substitute,cant explain shit like that.

Jack68
02-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Daltrey as Scrooge was the last time i was there also..what year was that?Concerning the quad show it wouldnt of killed them to rehearse afew rarities like you said and mix them in with the CSI encore.Dump tea and theater for the love of god and play fucking magic bus,naked eye or something.End with boris the spider the place would go apeshit.

Jack68
02-22-2013, 09:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_7GaoSXqw8

Yeah the who on ice tour was overblown but they played a lot of different stuff on that tour.Why they never played join together again is beyond me.my wife always rocks.

Jack68
02-26-2013, 02:29 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/flashback-the-who-strip-down-at-their-1999-comeback-show-20130226

Mushroom
02-26-2013, 09:48 PM
I saw the 1989 show in Jack Murphy Stadium, CA and they showed they still owned the stage! These two old geezers are not Fuddy Dudds, they're still rocking! albeit they are boring nowadays. A Fuddy Dudd is a fucking party pooper, jeeze Kristy.

The WHO would not be half the legend they are now without John "Boris the Spider" Entwistle.