PDA

View Full Version : This IS Relevant: Iron Maiden Releasing Part 3 Of Their DVD History Series

Hardrock69
02-12-2013, 08:56 PM
WHY CAN'T ED DO THIS???????

WTF!!!!

Old topic, sure :deadhorse: but goddammit! I see stuff like this and it pisses me off!!!! :mad:

While naturally I am so glad of this, being a Maiden fan, I am FUCKING FURIOUS that Ed cannot get off his fucking ass and do something similar for all the fans of the Mighty Van Halen!!!

:mad:

Ford? Sesh? Feel free to move this to the Music forum eventually. I just wanted to post this in Main to being with to demonstrate once again how a band properly treats it's fans, and how Ed Van Halen is fucking up!

http://i49.tinypic.com/qohe2s.jpg

EMI are proud to announce the highly anticipated release of the Double Disc DVD MAIDEN ENGLAND ‘88 on 25 March. Now available for the very first time on DVD, this live show was filmed across two sold-out nights at Birmingham N.E.C Arena, UK in November 1988 during the band’s “Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son World Tour”. Disc one contains the concert which has been specially upgraded and extended from the existing 1989 longform VHS release and now includes three previously unreleased encores: Running Free, Run To The Hills and Sanctuary thereby completing the full concert with a total running time of 110 minutes . Maiden’s own Film Producer and Director Andy Matthews went back to the 1988 edit and painstakingly remastered each shot digitally; colour correcting and grading to give the image the best possible look from that time. As well as the VHS stereo sound track by Martin Birch, the band’s producer between 1981 and 1993, the DVD also includes a brand new 5.1 audio surround mix by Maiden’s current producer Kevin Shirley. The concert was meticulously directed and edited by bass player and founder member Steve Harris, so as to capture the performance from a fans-eye view of the stage, focusing fully on the music, the elaborate stage production and the lighting. Add into the mix an electrifying set list and of course Eddie, and Maiden England now offers a snapshot of a bygone era in which the band, as they continue to do today, devote their all in delivering the ultimate live experience for their fans.

Disc two is an extensive bonus disc featuring an exclusive documentary charting Part 3 in the History of Iron Maiden. This 40-minute film comprises recent interviews with the five band members and manager, Rod Smallwood. Picking up the story in the aftermath of the ‘84/85 World Slavery tour, this interesting and insightful documentary sees the band speak candidly about their memories of an exciting and occasionally turbulent period from which would emerge the albums Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. As the Eighties began to draw to a close, so did another chapter in Maiden’s compelling history.

Other special extras on the bonus disc include Twelve Wasted Years. First released as a longform VHS in 1987 and available for the first time on DVD, this documentary runs for 90 minutes and includes archive interviews and dynamic live footage from the band’s beginnings in the now legendary Ruskin Arms pub, via London’s Marquee club and three World Tours. Five promo videos for the singles from the aforementioned albums are also featured and have been carefully restored and improved upon from the original films using the very latest software with the audio remastered in digital stereo.

Manager Rod Smallwood comments “We've been busy upgrading this concert footage for a long time, with our in-house Film Producer and Director Andy Matthews working tirelessly to weave his magic yet again!. The 1989 VHS video has been largely unavailable for many years and we know how eagerly our fans have been awaiting the new version so we wanted to give it the best possible treatment. The current Maiden England World Tour which continues later this year revisits much of the set list and production from the initial 1989 VHS release so it will be interesting to compare just how much has changed in terms of our 2013 live show production, especially with all the advances in modern technology and the improvements we've been able to make to the set”.

The Maiden England ‘88 concert soundtrack will also be made available on 2CD album, Limited Edition double vinyl picture disc and Digital Download formats. The audio had previously only ever been available before on CD as part of EMI’s 1994 Sound And Vision Series packaged alongside the VHS, but with two tracks fewer than the video contained. Can I Play With Madness and Hallowed Be Thy Name were not featured as there was no space on the 1CD disc. Now with the three encores also included the double disc offers a total of 5 tracks previously unavailable on CD making this the first full and complete audio recording release of this historic tour.

DISC ONE – MAIDEN ENGLAND ’88
Set List –
Moonchild
The Evil That Men Do
The Prisoner
Still Life
Die With Your Boots On
Infinite Dreams
Killers
Can I Play With Madness
Heaven Can Wait
Wasted Years
The Clairvoyant
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
The Number Of The Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Run To The Hills*
Running Free*
Sanctuary*

*previously unreleased.

DISC TWO – THE HISTORY OF IRON MAIDEN PART 3
The History Of Iron Maiden - Part 3
12 Wasted Years
Wasted Years promo video
Stranger In A Strange Land promo video
Can I Play With Madness promo video
The Evil That Men Do promo video
The Clairvoyant promo video

vandeleur
02-13-2013, 02:04 AM
Yip gonna have me some of that

ashstralia
02-13-2013, 04:12 AM
yeah, fuck yeah.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-13-2013, 09:07 AM
I agree with the sentiment HR, but I think the valid point is how many DVD-worthy pro-shot videos of Roth/VH are around ??

Oakland '81 is, of course, the mystery....

Largo '82

US Festival '83

ANY of the 1984 tour ??

chefcraig
02-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Semi-surreal moment while watching CBS' coverage of the Pebble Beach Pro/Am golf tournament this past Sunday: Analyst Nick Faldo giving a shout-out to his friend Maiden drummer Nicko McBrain, who was up for a Grammy in the Best Hard Rock / Metal Performance category. And yes, the Grammy telecast would take place on the same network, later in the evening.

sonrisa salvaje
02-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Funny you should mention that. I was watching it too and heard Faldo say that. I never thought i would hear Iron Maiden mentioned in a golf telecast. Props to Sir Nick for the shout out.

Hardrock69
02-13-2013, 03:53 PM
True the number of shows that are pro-shot is a mystery.

But even if there are only bits and pieces.....it would be nice to have professionally remastered stuff in our collections direct from the master source.....

We DO know that US Fest DOES exist. Though seriously...the most recent release of the bootleg is so good that even an official release would not be much of an improvement.....

Glitter Tot
02-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Seems like the documentaries get lighter with each subsequent release of this series. Still, been looking forward to this for a while.

rockhead
02-20-2013, 01:08 AM
So fucking looking forward to this!!!!! Not a prisoner , im a free man!!!!!!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
02-20-2013, 09:44 AM
We DO know that US Fest DOES exist. Though seriously...the most recent release of the bootleg is so good that even an official release would not be much of an improvement.....

But see, there's the problem...

WE think the US Festival is great, but at the very least EVH thinks it was a lousy show because everyone was so hammered....

Hardrock69
02-20-2013, 06:09 PM
And, thusly, Ed disregards what the fans want, in favor of what HE wants.

One thing is true though.....from what I have noticed watching bootleg DVDs.....you can document the music, and the visual, but video cannot document the vibe. The VIBE of actually BEING THERE. KNOWING that the MIGHTY VAN HALEN had descended from Mt. Olympus unto your town, if only for a night.

Such vibes do not exist anymore. At least, they RARELY exist at concerts anymore.

Some bands have been able to knock it out of the park yet again. For instance, Heaven & Hell at Radio City Music Hall in 2007. That was ELECTRIC!

But you cannot explain in mere words, or even with video/audio what it was actually LIKE to see CVH in concert in 1981 or thereabouts.

Ed needs to release this stuff at the very least because it is Rock And Roll History.

dave_is_vh
02-22-2013, 01:38 AM
There are also multiple pro shot Diver Down tour full concert videos from South America. Caracas, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo and perhaps others.

Come on Ed give us a break.

Girth
02-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Could you or someone else on this board put me on the right track for this newest US Festival bootleg? I would need to buy it since I have no other bootlegs to provide, but just want to make sure I am getting the one that is considered the best quality. Is there a certain seller on ebay I should be looking for, etc.?

Thanks in advance...

True the number of shows that are pro-shot is a mystery.

But even if there are only bits and pieces.....it would be nice to have professionally remastered stuff in our collections direct from the master source.....

Whorehey
03-27-2013, 09:03 PM
This DVD kicks ass.

Hardrock69
03-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Holy shit! I forgot about it!

I know what I am buying tomorrow! :-D

Whorehey
03-28-2013, 07:17 PM
This DVD still kicks ass. Dave Murray...what happened to you? Janick Gers killed this band for me.

Mr. Vengeance
03-29-2013, 12:11 AM
I've never understood the lack of pro shot stuff from the 1984 tour. The age of video had exploded, and everyone was making videos.

The best I have is the show from Montreal which you can find all over the net now. Just some dude with a camcorder. I love it because it was my first concert and I love to revisit being at that show.

ashstralia
03-29-2013, 05:56 AM
This DVD still kicks ass. Dave Murray...what happened to you? Janick Gers killed this band for me.

he's been a good faithful soldier. his solos provide a handy piss break.

tojoro
03-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Another fine gift to the fans from Eddie and the boys! The transfer on the video looks great and the sound is pretty crackin' as well.
The inclusion of 12 Wasted Years is a nice bonus, though I'm not surprised, as the previous two entries were packed as well.
The pairing of Smallwood and Maiden has paid off in so many ways...we're fortunate Steve and Ron had the foresight to take the money they were making, even in the early days, and utilize it to film a show from each tour professionally.
Somewhere On Tour being the exception, and it's absence is explained within the doc, I'm not about to quibble about what's lacking here, as there really isn't very much.
Iron Maiden has done a fine job not only giving the fans what they want, but also in preserving their legacy and maintaining their credibility.
With the passing of Clive Burr recently, this release was a nice farewell to the man, what with all of the live footage of him found within the 12WY portion.

~T.

Hardrock69
03-30-2013, 11:53 AM
So far all I have had time for was to watch the 40 minute long NEW documentary......I saw some of the NEC footage during that show. Wow. I cannot wait to watch this.

Maiden is first class all the way.

Said it before and I will play this record again for the 100th time: Ed Van Halen needs to pay some attention to Iron Maiden's business practices regarding their fans.

I love what they do, how they do it, and their fans are ultra-loyal as a result.

78/84 guy
03-30-2013, 12:09 PM
There are also multiple pro shot Diver Down tour full concert videos from South America. Caracas, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo and perhaps others.

Come on Ed give us a break.

Yep. And I'm sure the band gave permission to film for t.v. so that tells me they own the film.

78/84 guy
03-30-2013, 12:12 PM
I've never understood the lack of pro shot stuff from the 1984 tour. The age of video had exploded, and everyone was making videos.

The best I have is the show from Montreal which you can find all over the net now. Just some dude with a camcorder. I love it because it was my first concert and I love to revisit being at that show.

There is a half show from Vegas floating around. But that's all I know of. Besides some on c.d. None of them sound very good.

Mr. Vengeance
03-30-2013, 12:15 PM
say what you will about KISS and their money making machine, but they do also give the fans what they want. They may give it to them 500 times, but they get it. KISS documented a ton of their stuff and made a lot available in the KISSology DVDs. Books, CDs, etc. Lot's of it proshot obviously, but it's all there.

Rolling Stones- same thing.

VH really did a shitty job of documenting their history.

78/84 guy
03-30-2013, 12:19 PM
But see, there's the problem...

WE think the US Festival is great, but at the very least EVH thinks it was a lousy show because everyone was so hammered....

I don't think we will ever see this one. Because it is sloppy. I think Dave resang his stuff for the 3 or 4 songs that ended up on M.T.V. And it wasn't much better. I have those on the end of my U.S. Fest. boot. I love it but the Brazil shows are way tighter. And I don't remember any video cut outs on them like U.S. Fest or Largo have. If there is a full 81 show from Oakland that's all I need. Ed's a ass for sitting on this stuff !

Nitro Express
03-30-2013, 12:28 PM
say what you will about KISS and their money making machine, but they do also give the fans what they want. They may give it to them 500 times, but they get it. KISS documented a ton of their stuff and made a lot available in the KISSology DVDs. Books, CDs, etc. Lot's of it proshot obviously, but it's all there.

Rolling Stones- same thing.

VH really did a shitty job of documenting their history.

A successful band is not a band. It's an organization. The band is the most visible part. KISS has always been a well ran organization and it has always been shamefully commercial. It was always about some solid songs, putting everything into a huge show, and trying to make as much money possible off of it. The fans love it!

I wish Van Halen had more of the KISS attitude. I never felt KISS ever blew their fans off or didn't give them what they wanted. It's a top notch band in my book and frankly if more bands had the KISS work ethic, business sense, and attitude they would be better bands and the fans would be happier. The fans are begging Van Halen to take their money. Please! Come here and take our money! We want to see you guys. Even with that shitty tour with Sam, the fans forgave and came to see Dave.

78/84 guy
03-30-2013, 12:37 PM
I fucking swear Ed sat on the Dave shit when Sam was in the band & refuses to release anything with Mike on it because he is out. Its complete bullshit ! I wonder if it was his idea to airbrush Mike from the artwork on HIS website ? Wouldn't put it past him. Hey man my kid has always been a part of this band ! Then give us a 07/08 show where Dave was sounding good. I think Ed said in an interview that he would be willing to release one. But he also said just not right away. ?????? Why not ?????

ashstralia
03-30-2013, 12:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoiHX9azZeQ

VHscraps
03-30-2013, 12:56 PM
I just happened to be on thedoors.com (https://thedoors.com/home) yesterday and was thinking, jeez - cool looking site. These guys know how to milk their fans / give their fans what they want (delete as appropriate!).

The official live boot series, The Bright Midnight Archives (https://thedoors.com/legacy/dates/Bright-Midnight-Archives) just keeps the shows coming - deluxe packages; double vinyl sets of live shows and studio outtakes.

If you look at the credits at the bottom of their page, they emply a company called 'Idea Den' to keep them out there - what they are about is maintaining brands. And, let's face it, that's how they should be thinking of the legacy. Without sites like this, vhnd, and the vhlinks, there is an exceptionally slim 'digital footprint' (to use the jargon).

How long were The Doors active before Morrison died? Five years or so. If VH had a leader with some brains, they'd looking at that website as a key example of how to curate your legacy.

78/84 guy
03-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Well they do have a leader again. but I think he would get vetoed anyway ! Lol. Ed just doesn't give a shit about his fans.