PDA

View Full Version : Meteor Hits Russia

Seshmeister
02-15-2013, 05:28 AM
When this video first came in I thought it was fake - wow...

Morte video at link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116

Meteor fall 'injures hundreds' in central Russia

A meteor crashing in the Urals of central Russia has reportedly injured at least 400 people, as the shockwave blew out windows and rocked buildings.

Most of those hurt suffered minor cuts and bruises but some received head injuries, Russian media report.

A fireball was seen streaking through the sky above the city of Yekaterinburg, followed by loud bangs.

The meteor is believed to have landed in a lake near Chebarkul, a town in the neighbouring Chelyabinsk region.

Much of the impact was felt in the city of Chelyabinsk, some 200km (125 miles) south of Yekaterinburg.

"We saw a big burst of light, then went outside to see what it was and we heard a really loud thundering sound," Chelyabinsk resident Sergey Hametov told AP news agency by phone.

Officials say a large meteor partially burned up in the lower atmosphere, resulting in fragments falling earthwards.

Thousands of rescue workers have been dispatched to the area to provide help to the injured, the emergencies ministry said.

The Chelyabinsk region, about 1,500km (930 miles) east of Moscow, is home to many factories, a nuclear power plant and the Mayak atomic waste storage and treatment centre.

A loud noise, resembling an explosion, resounded through Chelyabinsk at around 09:20 (05:20 GMT).

"There was panic," Mr Hametov said.

"People had no idea what was happening. Everyone was going around to people's houses to check if they were okay."

Andrei, another local resident who did not give his second name, told Reuters he had been standing at a bus stop, seeing off his girlfriend.

"Then there was a flash and I saw a trail of smoke across the sky and felt a shockwave that smashed windows," he said.

Shockwaves were felt in a 19-storey building in the city centre, another witness said.

A roof at a zinc factory in Chelyabinsk also collapsed; however, it appears nobody was hurt in that incident.

In Yekaterinburg, 36-year-old resident Viktor Prokofiev was driving to work when he witnessed the event.

"It was quite dark, but it suddenly became as bright as if it was day," he was quoted by Reuters as saying.

"I felt like I was blinded by headlights."

Debris also reportedly fell on the west Siberian region of Tyumen.

The governor of Chelyabinsk region, Mikhail Yurevich, reported that the meteor had landed in a lake 1km outside Chebarkul, which has a population of 46,000.

Chelyabinsk city authorities said an initial blast had been heard at an altitude of 10,000m (32,800ft), suggesting it occurred when the meteor entered Earth's atmosphere, Reuters reports.

Such meteor strikes are rare but one is thought to have devastated an area of more than 2,000 sq km (1,250m) in Siberia in 1908.

That event smashed windows as far as 200 km (125 miles) from the point of impact.

Scientists have played down suggestions that there is any link between the event in the Urals and 2012 DA14, an asteroid expected to race past the Earth on Friday at a distance of just 27,700km (17,200mi) - the closest ever predicted for an object of that size.

Prof Alan Fitzsimmons, of the Astrophysics Research Centre at Queen's University Belfast, said there was "almost definitely" no connection.

"One reason is that 2012 DA14 is approaching Earth from the south, and this object hit in the northern hemisphere," he told BBC News.

"This is literally a cosmic coincidence, although a spectacular one."

DLR Bridge
02-15-2013, 05:34 AM
Only thing missing was someone the car yelling "HOLY SHIT!!!" in Russian.

fryingdutchman
02-15-2013, 05:36 AM
That is fucking CRAZY!!

Dashcams have become the big source of some amazing fucking videos....and that meteor is intense!!

Funny that for how fast that thing must have been going it sure appeared to be in slow motion. I guess it was a size/distance thing...

fryingdutchman
02-15-2013, 05:37 AM
only thing missing was someone the car yelling "holy shit!!!" in russian.

bwahahahahahaha!!!!

Seshmeister
02-15-2013, 05:39 AM

Seshmeister
02-15-2013, 05:40 AM
Why is it so many Russians seem to have dashcams, is it something to do with car insurance?

Seshmeister
02-15-2013, 05:42 AM
It will probably turn out that it was just the size of a bowling ball or something.

The energy of these things because of their velocity is scary.

Zing!
02-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Amazing story story of a rare occurrence. Not so amazing to see the headlines of human idiocy that trumped it on Yahoo! news.

Nickdfresh
02-15-2013, 08:34 AM
About 500 injuries are reported thus far. This is scary shit, man. The big one is passing close by tonight...

DLR Bridge
02-15-2013, 08:53 AM
The big one is passing close by tonight...

Supposed to be the size of an Olympic swimming pool, they say. I wonder how big this one was. Those vapor trails were insane.

Coyote
02-15-2013, 08:55 AM
About 500 injuries are reported thus far. This is scary shit, man. The big one is passing close by tonight...

...and I hope it hits Justin Bieber in the noggin...

Nitro Express
02-15-2013, 11:52 AM

The poor people probably thought World War III had started and nukes were coming in.

Nitro Express
02-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Why is it so many Russians seem to have dashcams, is it something to do with car insurance?

Yes it is. They have problems in Russia with people slamming on their brakes and making the car behind them crash into them. Most cars have a camera to prevent insurance fraud. Which is good because there are some funny ass Russian car accident videos on YouTube as the result. Very entertaining.

Diamondjimi
02-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Total damage:50,000,000 Rubles ($400 usd)

Hardrock69
02-15-2013, 03:53 PM
http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/02/15/amazing-video-massive-meteor-strikes-in-russias-ural-mountains-injuring-more-than-500-people/

IF you should ever see a meteorite come down......meaning...in your immediate area....and it does not destroy you, lol, pick that sucker up when it cools off and take it home. They are worth more than platinum. Collectors pay BIG bucks for these things.

Zing!
02-15-2013, 04:52 PM
You can bet the Ruskie army had that impact zone cordoned off in minutes looking for any debris.

Nickdfresh
02-15-2013, 05:12 PM
You can bet the Ruskie army had that impact zone cordoned off in minutes looking for any debris.

They were desperately trying to stop the undead from rising from their graves...

Zing!
02-15-2013, 05:15 PM
The could just call Bruce Willis. Isn't he kicking ass in Russia right now?

BITEYOASS
02-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Proof that God hates shitty Russian techno-pop. Unfortunately he was too drunk to hit the target. :bigwink:

Kristy
02-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Damn. Shame that didn't happen here where all the poor, uneducated and welfare mongers are. Are you reading this, Smellvis?

Fairwrning
02-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Insane...that was way too close..

Kristy
02-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Eh, wasn't close enough.

The world needs a serious depopulation program.

And soon.

Kristy
02-15-2013, 06:26 PM
This is so cool!

Nyungki nyunkh rutov blah bah blah...BOOM!

Hey! What's the betting that Jones and his paranoid ilk will be saying in the next few days this is all one big "psy op" operation and that this meteor "really didn't happen"?

Seshmeister
02-15-2013, 06:37 PM
The could just call Bruce Willis. Isn't he kicking ass in Russia right now?

Well he's not kicking ass in the cinema...

VHscraps
02-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Related!! A compilation of Russian dashcam clips. Awesome stuff.

Watch out for the truck spilling cattle across the road ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/feb/15/russian-roads-dash-cams-video (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/feb/15/russian-roads-dash-cams-video)

VHscraps
02-15-2013, 06:50 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/feb/15/russian-roads-dash-cams-video (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/feb/15/russian-roads-dash-cams-video)

I love the sound of that woman's yelp when the plane goes over ...

Fairwrning
02-15-2013, 06:57 PM
I didnt even see the plane til it was gone...damn...and that guy at 1:18 was skilled and lucky as hell..between the bus and car head-on..wow

VHscraps
02-15-2013, 07:06 PM
The crash at 40 secs - two guys in the white car that gets turned around, just casually walk away! Maybe it's a stolen car, and they're thinking - okay, time to GTF.

Seshmeister
02-15-2013, 07:13 PM
It will probably turn out that it was just the size of a bowling ball or something.

The energy of these things because of their velocity is scary.

OK I was talking shit.

The Russian meteor -- estimated to be just 10 tons and about 15 meters or 49 feet wide -- entered the Earth's atmosphere at a hypersonic speed of at least 33,000 mph and shattered about 18-32 miles above the ground. It released the energy of several kilotons above the Chelyabinsk region.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/02/15/russian-meteorite-why-didnt-scientists-see-it-coming/#ixzz2L13hd9C5

Still when you imagine something the size of a football pitch wiping out 800 square miles, or something the size of a small town which would look like a grain of sand hitting a football wiping out most of life it's a bit mad.

Of course the irony is that without shit like that none of us would be alive....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/404393_10151446891690155_114489734_n.jpg

Nickdfresh
02-15-2013, 07:48 PM
OK I was talking shit.

Still when you imagine something the size of a football pitch wiping out 800 square miles, or something the size of a small town which would look like a grain of sand hitting a football wiping out most of life it's a bit mad.

Of course the irony is that without shit like that none of us would be alive....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/404393_10151446891690155_114489734_n.jpg

The asteroid that passed us closely today is about the size of an American football field and wouldn't be an "extinction event" if it hit. A similar sized asteroid has left a mile wide crater in the American Southwest, but was made mostly of iron so it was a tad more powerful...

ashstralia
02-15-2013, 08:36 PM
we're due for another tunguska sized event... that hitting a major city would be interesting.

Nitro Express
02-16-2013, 12:31 AM

Watching Russian dash cam videos on YouTube is one of my guilty pleasures. God some of them have made me laugh so hard.

Nitro Express
02-16-2013, 12:36 AM
I love the sound of that woman's yelp when the plane goes over ...

That was good. Anything can happen on a Russian road. Here's a plane landing on one. LOL!

Seshmeister
02-16-2013, 07:02 AM
we're due for another tunguska sized event... that hitting a major city would be interesting.

It would only have to come within 30 miles of a city to wreck it.

Statistically the chances are it would hit somewhere where it wouldn't matter like the sea or the middle of Australia... :)

Seshmeister
02-16-2013, 07:07 AM
People focus on meteors but there is all sorts of shit out there that could wipe us out.

For example at any point we could get hit by a gamma ray burst and we would be completely fucked. These things go at the speed of light so there is nothing at all that we could do. There could have been a 5 second one given off 100 million years ago that is going to hit us tomorrow...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_ray_bursts#Rates_and_potential_effects_on_li fe_on_Earth

That's why I never pay my parking fines on time...

ashstralia
02-16-2013, 07:09 AM
ya wanna fight me, dickhead? ay?

hnnnhhhnhhnnnnhhhnnhnnn...

vandeleur
02-16-2013, 07:12 AM
What a bastard , night shift weekend and now I have the kids and the apocalypse to keep me awake.
Tough break :D

ashstralia
02-16-2013, 07:15 AM
haha just ozzie jokin there sesh..

umm, what if eta carinae goes supernova? betelgeuse is a candidate too, as you know, but much farther out. time=distance. a strange concept indeed.

Carloscda
02-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Now they are saying that Sonic Boom was the equivalent of 20 Hiroshima bombs!

Imagine this happening in NY, DC, Chi, Philly, LA

Hardrock69
02-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Well he's not kicking ass in the cinema...

Yeah he is....25 million on opening weekend....though I thought the movie was pretty lame....I went to see it just to waste some time and see the usual big fiery explosions, machine gun fire and chase scenes....couple of plot twists towards the end....but nothing amazing.

My faves out of the series are the first and the third one....., where John McClane is forced to walk through Harlem with a sandwich board was hilarious....Samuel L made that movie great....

Willis needs to hang it up now.

Seshmeister
02-18-2013, 03:51 AM
I'm surprised anyone is going to this crap, Willis looked pretty shame faced about it when he was over to promote it.

The last two are actually managing to make the early ones worse by stinking so much...

Nitro Express
02-18-2013, 04:02 AM
People focus on meteors but there is all sorts of shit out there that could wipe us out.

For example at any point we could get hit by a gamma ray burst and we would be completely fucked. These things go at the speed of light so there is nothing at all that we could do. There could have been a 5 second one given off 100 million years ago that is going to hit us tomorrow...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_ray_bursts#Rates_and_potential_effects_on_li fe_on_Earth

That's why I never pay my parking fines on time...

Destruction is a good thing. I'm glad something killed off the dinosaurs. Could you imagine the daily stress level of having to live on a planet full of giant lizards? It's nice not having to worry about the T Rex or the raptors getting us on the way to the grocery store.

ashstralia
02-18-2013, 04:14 AM
Destruction is a good thing. I'm glad something killed off the dinosaurs. Could you imagine the daily stress level of having to live on a planet full of giant lizards?

we got some giant lizards, and so do those there southern folk of yours.

Hardrock69
02-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Destruction is a good thing. I'm glad something killed off the dinosaurs. Could you imagine the daily stress level of having to live on a planet full of giant lizards? It's nice not having to worry about the T Rex or the raptors getting us on the way to the grocery store.

Yet that is what Christians believe the world was like 6,000 years ago.

Hardrock69
02-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Why everyone in Russia has dash cams

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/02/russian-dash-cams/

How is it possible that a dozen different motorists around the Russian city of Chelyabinsk were able to capture video of a massive meteor flying through the sky? Because almost everyone in Russia has a dash-mounted video camera in their car.

The sheer size of the country, combined with lax — and often corrupt — law enforcement, and a legal system that rarely favors first-hand accounts of traffic collisions has made dash cams all but a requirement for motorists.

“You can get into your car without your pants on, but never get into a car without a dash cam,” Aleksei Dozorov, a motorists’ rights activist in Russia told Radio Free Europe last year.

Do a search for “Russia dash cam crash” in YouTube — or even better, Yandex.ru, the county’s equivalent of Google — and you’ll find thousands of videos showing massive crashes, close calls and attempts at insurance fraud by both other drivers and pedestrians. And Russian drivers are accident prone. With 35,972 road deaths in 2007 (the latest stats available from the World Health Organization), Russia averages 25.2 traffic fatalities per 100,000 people. The U.S., by comparison, had 13.9 road deaths per 100,000 people in the same year, despite having six times more cars.

A combination of inexpensive cameras, flash memory and regulations passed by the Interior Ministry in 2009 that removed any legal hurdles for in-dash cameras has made it easy and cheap for drivers to install the equipment.

And it’s turned into an online phenomenon.

YouTube content policing means some of the most disturbing videos get pulled from U.S. video sites almost immediately, but as Marina Galperina reported at Animal New York last year, sites like the Ru CHP LiveJournal community are filled with disturbing videos of profanity-laden fist-fights, massive crashes and gruesome deaths, all captured on camera and shared for the world to see.

But then there are times like today, when dash cams catch a once-in-a-lifetime meteor falling from the sky, from every possible angle — something that couldn’t have happened just a few years ago.

Hardrock69
02-18-2013, 02:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEb7oqzaKhw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And also:

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/15/guerilla_surveillance_camera_destruction_hits_the_ u_s/

Guerrilla Surveillance Camera Destruction Hits The U.S.

February 16, 2013

It started in Berlin: Anarchists, donning black bloc attire, hit the streets at night in pairs, small groups or alone to smash and dismantle the CCTV surveillance cameras adorning the city streets.

They posted videos and photos of their exploits online and called the guerrilla project Camover. The German collective gave a playful interview to Vice U.K. in which they explained that they are “a diverse group of people: Shoplifters eluding capitalism who don’t want to be monitored, passengers who don’t want to followed step by step and anarchists fighting everything that wants to control us.” Vice noted that the Berlin-based anarchists then laid down the gauntlet:

Camover have also recently announced a competition encouraging others to get involved. All you have to do to enter is think of a name that begins with the words “Brigade…” or “Command…” and that ends with the name of a historical personality, recruit a mob and smash up cameras. Then you send pictures and video evidence to their website, and they declare the winning footage.

The anti-surveillance project quickly spread throughout Germany, to Finland, Greece and hit the U.S. West Coast this month. A group identifying itself as “the Barefoot Bandit Brigade” released a statement claiming to have “removed and destroyed 17 security cameras throughout the Puget Sound region,” with ostensible photo evidence published alongside. “This act is concrete sabotage against the system of surveillance and control,” wrote the group’s statement, adding that the Camover contribution was also intended in solidarity with anarchists in the Pacific Northwest currently in federal custody without charges for refusing to cooperate with a federal grand jury.

When asked by Vice “aren’t you just wasting taxpayers’ money, since the government will inevitably re-install any CCTV you take out?” Camover’s originators responded, “Isn’t the government just going to waste taxpayers’ money when they replace the cameras that we are inevitably going to take down again?” It’s a direct approach to fight the creepy surveillance state, to say the least.

Hardrock69
02-18-2013, 07:46 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/imrrph.jpg

Zing!
02-22-2013, 10:49 PM

Dude, you just blew my mind. That puts things in perspective. Why sweat the small stuff when, with one near miss of a football field sized asteroid, a huge ass T-Rex could be bearing down on you on your way to KFC. That's chicken soup for the soul baby.

Hardrock69
02-23-2013, 05:04 AM
A pro photographer was out in the stix shooting landscapes when it hit. He took a bunch of photos right as it was going overhead:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2282330/I-thought-nuclear-bomb-exploding-Photographers-breathtaking-pictures-Russian-meteorite-feared-live-through.html

http://i46.tinypic.com/zlueev.jpg

ashstralia
02-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Dude, you just blew my mind. That puts things in perspective. Why sweat the small stuff when, with one near miss of a football field sized asteroid, a huge ass T-Rex could be bearing down on you on your way to KFC. That's chicken soup for the soul baby.

mate, those T-Rex's had huge big brains... they'd OWN the KFC. :)

Coyote
02-23-2013, 08:17 AM
mate, those T-Rex's had huge big brains... they'd OWN the KFC. :)

Dude... WE would be the main ingridient... :biggrin:

At any rate...
That thing was very bright for a meteor.
That thing (apparently) made a 50ft radius perfectly round hole.

I ask thee: Was it REALLY a meteor?

Or was it aliens?

ashstralia
02-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Dude... WE would be the main ingridient... :biggrin:

At any rate...
That thing was very bright for a meteor.
That thing (apparently) made a 50ft radius perfectly round hole.

I ask thee: Was it REALLY a meteor?

Or was it aliens?

mate, i was riffing on what if dinosaurs and humans co-exist? turns out, we do. not the really big ones obv; luckily!

the alien thang? love it. just chuck an unexpected rock or snowball every x years.

on a serious note, i hope i'm alive on that momentous day in history when it happens...The front page of every news outlet everywhere. "Alien Civilisation Contacts Earth, Actually Do Come In Peace". 'Religion Redundant'.

Coyote
02-23-2013, 11:27 AM
mate, i was riffing on what if dinosaurs and humans co-exist? turns out, we do. not the really big ones obv; luckily!

Well, shit. So much for posting while hung over... :biggrin:

the alien thang? love it. just chuck an unexpected rock or snowball every x years.

on a serious note, i hope i'm alive on that momentous day in history when it happens...The front page of every news outlet everywhere. "Alien Civilisation Contacts Earth, Actually Do Come In Peace". 'Religion Redundant'.

Here's to hoping.

vandeleur
02-23-2013, 12:34 PM
If aliens are watching they would see all the war and hunger and terrible injustice in the world or worse read the which does Kirsty hate thread and realise we are fucking all crazy bat shit :biggrin: