PDA

View Full Version : Giving birth

envy_me
02-18-2013, 04:19 AM
Here is a thread for the side discussion from the suicide thread.

Have you given birth? Or your partner? Was it messy? How much did it hurt? Did it wreck your/her vagina? Was it a cesarean? Do you have to wear a tie to the beach? Needles in the spine?

Northern Girl
02-18-2013, 06:57 AM
No kids, no pets, no plants...nothing I have to take care of but myself.

And I haven't done the greatest job of doing that either. LOL. I think I made the right choice.

envy_me
02-18-2013, 09:06 AM
No kids, no pets, no plants...nothing I have to take care of but myself.

And I haven't done the greatest job of doing that either. LOL. I think I made the right choice.

I have always had respect for people with no kids. It just seems like more of a conscious choice. And it takes more to go against all the norms of society and go your own way.

clarathecarrot
02-18-2013, 10:13 AM
I have never had children either however I have been or can be pregnant and or nursing and should consult my physician, before using this weight loss suppliment.

Angel
02-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Here is a thread for the side discussion from the suicide thread.

Have you given birth? Or your partner? Was it messy? How much did it hurt? Did it wreck your/her vagina? Was it a cesarean? Do you have to wear a tie to the beach? Needles in the spine?

Gave birth 29 years ago, greatest experience of my life...the 72 hours of labour were worth it!

Times have changed...they would never allow a woman to go that long here now. Was it messy? Not as much as you would imagine, and you're on such a natural high you don't really notice...or care. Of course, if you get torn, I'm sure it's much worse.

As for wrecking the vagina...Kiegel exercises are a girl's best friend. It was about 4 months before my husband and I could have full intercourse. I did my Kiegels religiously while pregnant and after. As a result, I was tighter than a 14 year old virgin.

Yes, I had a needle...eventually. It's no different than a needle in the arm, and after 60 hours of contractions, was nothing. They stopped the drip a little later than they should have though, which was fine by me...painless delivery.

I assume by a tie you mean what we call a cover up. Nope. Didn't wear a bikini the first summer because of the stretch marks...but they had faded enough by the 2nd summer after he was born that I could go back to a bikini.

Seshmeister
02-18-2013, 11:13 AM
The best bit of advice I could give a prospective father would be to wear a falconry glove at the birth to limit the damage she can do to you.

You can get one on Ebay for about $30.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=falconry+glove&_sacat=159043&_from=R40

Seshmeister
02-18-2013, 11:18 AM
I have always had respect for people with no kids. It just seems like more of a conscious choice. And it takes more to go against all the norms of society and go your own way.

I wouldn't go that far. :)

The pluses to not having kids are the vast amount of money you save and all those thousands of hours of time you will never get back. Freedom to do pretty much anything you want without always having to work around them. Not having to spend your whole life in various levels of worry about their safety/happiness.

The downside is that on the most basic possible level you have failed as an organism. :)

vandeleur
02-18-2013, 11:19 AM
The downside is that on the most basic possible level you have failed as an organism. :)

:lmao: thats funny

PETE'S BROTHER
02-18-2013, 11:40 AM

The pluses to not having kids are the vast amount of money you save and all those thousands of hours of time you will never get back. Freedom to do pretty much anything you want without always having to work around them. Not having to spend your whole life in various levels of worry about their safety/happiness.

great, now i'm a failed organism...

Angel
02-18-2013, 12:15 PM
great, now i'm a failed organism...

Better than being a failed orgasm I suppose. :D

envy_me
02-18-2013, 12:45 PM
If my success as an organism is defined by whether I fucked with or without a condom, then to hell with it :D

Nitro Express
02-18-2013, 12:58 PM
The advantage of having and raising children well is you have someone to take care of you when you get old. I've just seen too many people put off relationships and put off children and they end up old and lonely people.

twonabomber
02-18-2013, 01:20 PM

I dunno.

I don't have kids. I have a nephew and a niece. The way I look at it...the family name will continue on, and my parents have grandchildren. That takes all the pressure off me.

The advantage of having and raising children well is you have someone to take care of you when you get old. I've just seen too many people put off relationships and put off children and they end up old and lonely people.

And that is why I try to be the "cool uncle," hopefully they will help me out later if I need it. :D

ZahZoo
02-18-2013, 01:31 PM

That's a double edged sword... they might help you "when" you get old... hell they also help you in getting old!!

I wouldn't trade having my 5 kids for all the peace and quiet in the universe!!

I'd figure if you don't have kids... you'd be both a failed organism and orgasm... I mean you failed to reproduce or your orgasm failed to reproduce... You're fucked either way!!

Northern Girl
02-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Having kids doesn't guarantee you won't be lonely and that they will be there for you when you are old. I used to work in a nursing home and I saw plenty of things I won't get into...

When I get to the point where I can't take care of myself, I'll enjoy a lethal cocktail and call it quits. That would be my choice whether I have kids or not.

Coyote
02-18-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm in no position to even think about becoming a dad yet...

Haven't lived enough.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Having kids doesn't guarantee you won't be lonely and that they will be there for you when you are old. I used to work in a nursing home and I saw plenty of things I won't get into...

When I get to the point where I can't take care of myself, I'll enjoy a lethal cocktail and call it quits. That would be my choice whether I have kids or not.

dealing with this right now with grampa...

Hardrock69
02-18-2013, 02:35 PM
When I go to the store, and some child is wailing and screaming their fool head off, I laugh. I REALLY laugh.

It's not MY kid.

:lmao:

envy_me
02-18-2013, 02:41 PM
When I go to the store, and some child is wailing and screaming their fool head off, I laugh. I REALLY laugh.

It's not MY kid.

:lmao:

Lol :D Do you have any kids?

DLR Bridge
02-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Did it wreck your/her vagina?

I don't have a vagina and my 2 amazing kids did not "wreck" the vagina they came from.

“Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” - Betty White

Guitar Shark
02-18-2013, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't trade having my 5 kids for all the peace and quiet in the universe!!

This.

My wife and I have only two kids, not five (!!), but they are awesome and enrich my life in so many ways. There was a long time in my life when I hated the idea of being a parent, but now I have a hard time understanding how I ever felt that way.

envy_me
02-18-2013, 03:01 PM
I don't have a vagina and my 2 amazing kids did not "wreck" the vagina they came from.

“Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” - Betty White

Lol, the term "vagina wreckers" came from Nitro, lol.

When I did karate a guy kneed me in the vagina and that hurt like hell. This sentence sounds so wrong, but you get what I want to say.

DLR Bridge
02-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Lol, the term "vagina wreckers" came from Nitro, lol.

I know, saw it in the suicide thread. Those things are like elastic bands. They snap back into shape.

Dave's Bitch
02-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Giving birth is painful as hell but it is true when it is all done and you hold your child for the first time you forget all about it.

vandeleur
02-18-2013, 03:27 PM
They snap back into shape.

Good ..... do I have to wait long . My kids are at school and the echo is driving me crazy :bigwink:

envy_me
02-18-2013, 03:30 PM
I know, saw it in the suicide thread. Those things are like elastic bands. They snap back into shape.

I know. It's not that. One girl from work bursted down there, and they had to use the stitches on her. I don't want any needles there. They have to sedate me at the dentist before the needle. My poor flesh.

vandeleur
02-18-2013, 03:31 PM
If any one ever notices a mrs vandeleur sign on am dead :biggrin:

DLR Bridge
02-18-2013, 03:40 PM
I know. It's not that. One girl from work bursted down there, and they had to use the stitches on her. I don't want any needles there. They have to sedate me at the dentist before the needle. My poor flesh.

My wife had epidurals both times and I think she needed a little snip both times that got stitched up. If I remember correctly, the eppys wore off by the time she needed to be stitched a little and that was more painful than the births. I learned twice how much greater a threshold for pain my wife has than me. I woulda been screaming like a bitch. She's a trooper.

DLR Bridge
02-18-2013, 03:50 PM
OOFA....thank God I'm a man.

We really have it pretty easy when you think about it. Relatively low maintenance equiptment, comparatively speaking and during child birth, all we have to do is cheer them on.

envy_me
02-18-2013, 03:55 PM
We really have it pretty easy when you think about it. Relatively low maintenance equiptment, comparatively speaking and during child birth, all we have to do is cheer them on.

If I was giving birth I'd just want my man to shut up and go away. When I'm in pain I just want everybody to shut the fuck up. No cheering, no talking, just disappear. But I'm fantastic when I feel good :-)

vandeleur
02-18-2013, 04:00 PM
I took my retirement on the front end......

Like how you worded that :D

twonabomber
02-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Maybe I can be like Tony Randall and father a kid when I'm 72...and hopefully die before being a parent gets too difficult.

envy_me
02-18-2013, 04:07 PM
My mom said she had a terrible delivery with my brother. It was her first child. He was a fantastic kid once he was born. When she gave birth to me it was a very easy delivery, but I was a terrible child. I'd never sleep or eat. I'd cry if I saw a stranger. I was just complicated. But it wasn't painful for her giving birth to me.

DLR Bridge
02-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Definitely low maintenance equipment. My girlfriend had a c-section with her daughter....that was before i met her. We have been talking about trying to have a child this year. I will be 40 in July.....hope I still have the energy for a child!!! I took my retirement on the front end......enjoyed my youth as much as humanly possible and then some. Times are a changing though....my god daughter needs a cousin.

You'll find energy that you never knew you had, mostly out of necessity. Don't sweat it. Just be prepared to kiss your money g'bye.

DLR Bridge
02-18-2013, 04:12 PM
My mom said she had a terrible delivery with my brother. It was her first child. He was a fantastic kid once he was born. When she gave birth to me it was a very easy delivery, but I was a terrible child. I'd never sleep or eat. I'd cry if I saw a stranger. I was just complicated. But it wasn't painful for her giving birth to me.

Second one is always smoother sailing.

vandeleur
02-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Yeah , I get a dig if I say the second one was like shelling a pea.

envy_me
02-18-2013, 04:23 PM
You guys should really read Caitlin Morans book How to be a woman. There is a chapter there about how she gave birth to her first child. I knew it was terrible giving birth, but she went through hell!! That poor woman.

vandeleur
02-18-2013, 04:29 PM
You guys should really read Caitlin Morans book How to be a woman. There is a chapter there about how she gave birth to her first child. I knew it was terrible giving birth, but she went through hell!! That poor woman.

Kinda connected .. caitlin moran ...woooof I would :biggrin:

Northern Girl
02-18-2013, 04:47 PM
BTW...I like kids...just wasn't in the cards for me...

The older I got the less I cared. I didn't sow my wild oats when I was young, so the older I got the less I wanted to be tied down.

Nitro Express
02-18-2013, 06:28 PM
I dunno.

I don't have kids. I have a nephew and a niece. The way I look at it...the family name will continue on, and my parents have grandchildren. That takes all the pressure off me.

And that is why I try to be the "cool uncle," hopefully they will help me out later if I need it. :D

Your the guy who doesn't want to own a boat but loves going out on other people's boats. They get stuck with the expense and maintenance and you can show up and do the fun stuff. You can be the cool uncle that takes the kids out for a good time and then send them back to their parents who have to pay the bills and put the time in. LOL!

Nitro Express
02-18-2013, 06:35 PM

High maintenance Envy. You wouldn't eat your greens either. I didn't have the choice of being complicated. I grew up in a dictatorship. You did what mom said or else. She would clobber you. I think my dad was even scared of that woman.

BITEYOASS
02-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Well since other peoples kids drive me up the fuckin' wall, I plan to have zero. Besides, if I had a teen daughter, I'd probably hurt my fist from all her boyfriends that I encounter in my house. Not to mention I would probably act like an Asian parent on steroids when it comes to there homework. In short, I would be a terrible father. :bigwink:

As for growing old, I plan on doing a lot of high-risk activity when I reach 70. So the resting home can kiss my ass!

Dan
02-19-2013, 02:25 AM
No Kids That I Know Of.:hitch:

twonabomber
02-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Your the guy who doesn't want to own a boat but loves going out on other people's boats. They get stuck with the expense and maintenance and you can show up and do the fun stuff. You can be the cool uncle that takes the kids out for a good time and then send them back to their parents who have to pay the bills and put the time in. LOL!

Not true. My brother owns a boat and I couldn't care less if I ever got on it. I'd rather bang around the trails in my Jeeps. Not afraid of the water or anything, but to have to sit there and listen to my SIL and her mother (who are attached at the fucking hips) makes it a bad day on the water.

I DO get the kids all wound up and say "see ya!" or buy them the loud, obnoxious gifts for their birthdays or Christmas. But now they're old enough to pick out and buy what they want so I just give them cash, and they pick out their own annoying stuff and I still get blamed for it.

Nickdfresh
02-19-2013, 08:17 AM
I pretty much fucking hate boating. You get dehydrated and or extremely drunk in the sun while floating around with a bunch of other assholes --not that everyone on a boat is an asshole, but let's face it that there is a rather large macho, asshole-constituency in the boating community...

Northern Girl
02-19-2013, 08:24 AM
I like boating and floating, but hate bloating and emoting.

envy_me
02-19-2013, 09:06 AM
I pretty much fucking hate boating. You get dehydrated and or extremely drunk in the sun while floating around with a bunch of other assholes --not that everyone on a boat is an asshole, but let's face it that there is a rather large macho, asshole-constituency in the boating community...

I hate cruises, cause I feel trapped. It's different in Croatia though. You have your own boat. You can go anywhere you want with it and get off any time you want to. Plus it's Adriatic sea everywhere around you. And this is what Adriatic sea looks like. And also you are rarely with a bunch of assholes, but just with one other person ;-) You'd LOVE it!!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/envy_me_castor/Natur/cro.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/envy_me_castor/Natur/vlp_zpsf9929f58.jpg

DLR Bridge
02-19-2013, 09:21 AM
It's so funny how a thread about giving birth found its way into a cruise discussion.

I'll marry the two together with this: Squeeze out a couple of puppies, then wait about 20 years or so to go on a cruise.

envy_me
02-19-2013, 09:31 AM
High maintenance Envy. You wouldn't eat your greens either. I didn't have the choice of being complicated. I grew up in a dictatorship. You did what mom said or else. She would clobber you. I think my dad was even scared of that woman.

But the sleeping was mostly problem (for others, still a problem for me) when I was a baby. My mom would try and get me to sleep for hours and in best case I'd sleep for 15 minutes and wake up. She'd cry out of frustration. Also I was very difficult, for example they could trick my brother into eating. I'd just close my mouth and refuse to eat. I had really strong will. I could get up and stand on my own when I was 6 months old. Neighbours would come to see it cause nobody believed my parents when they told them. Believe me I was difficult. REALLY difficult.

envy_me
02-19-2013, 09:42 AM
It's so funny how a thread about giving birth found its way into a cruise discussion.

It's like rorschach test but with words....

Nickdfresh
02-19-2013, 10:07 AM
I hate cruises, cause I feel trapped. It's different in Croatia though. You have your own boat. You can go anywhere you want with it and get off any time you want to. Plus it's Adriatic sea everywhere around you. And this is what Adriatic sea looks like. And also you are rarely with a bunch of assholes, but just with one other person ;-) You'd LOVE it!!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/envy_me_castor/Natur/cro.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/envy_me_castor/Natur/vlp_zpsf9929f58.jpg

I was more speaking about the Lake (Erie and Ontario) boating here, which is basically driving your boat around the same places or from bar to bar...

twonabomber
02-19-2013, 10:28 AM
I was more speaking about the Lake (Erie and Ontario) boating here, which is basically driving your boat around the same places or from bar to bar...

Waterfront bars are too far apart on my end of the lake and connecting rivers. Not sure how many are left in the Flats, but from here that's an hour away unless one has a gas hog speedboat. The nephew and niece like to go tubing so yeah they go back and forth, from here to the nuke plant and back a few times.

ZahZoo
02-19-2013, 10:29 AM

I only find that to be true during the World Championship Cardboard Boat races here each year...

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Travel/ht_championship_cardboard_races_100614_ssh.jpg

envy_me
02-19-2013, 10:32 AM

Okay, that sounds NOTHING like boating on Adriatic :-)

envy_me
02-19-2013, 10:32 AM
I only find that to be true during the World Championship Cardboard Boat races here each year...

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Travel/ht_championship_cardboard_races_100614_ssh.jpg

And that definitelly doesn't look anything like boating on Adriatic...

Nitro Express
02-19-2013, 10:35 AM
But the sleeping was mostly problem (for others, still a problem for me) when I was a baby. My mom would try and get me to sleep for hours and in best case I'd sleep for 15 minutes and wake up. She'd cry out of frustration. Also I was very difficult, for example they could trick my brother into eating. I'd just close my mouth and refuse to eat. I had really strong will. I could get up and stand on my own when I was 6 months old. Neighbours would come to see it cause nobody believed my parents when they told them. Believe me I was difficult. REALLY difficult.

I bet you still are.:biggrin:

envy_me
02-19-2013, 10:38 AM
I bet you still are.:biggrin:

LOL :D No comment...

Nitro Express
02-19-2013, 10:39 AM
I had a boat. I don't miss it. The problem with the lakes around here is the weather can change in an instant. You can have nice calm water and then it goes to whitecaps. People get killed every year because of that and some pretty good sized boats have been sunk.

Nitro Express
02-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Assholes in a fast boat equal trouble. The asshole rolled the boat going too fast and at the wrong angle over another boat's wake. Also, notice nobody is wearing a life jacket. Nice going captain.

envy_me
02-19-2013, 10:46 AM
I had a boat. I don't miss it. The problem with the lakes around here is the weather can change in an instant. You can have nice calm water and then it goes to whitecaps. People get killed every year because of that and some pretty good sized boats have been sunk.

Lakes and rivers are a different thing then the ocean. When I was young and living in Belgrade, we often used to take the boat out on Danube (i don't know if you've heard about it but it's a big river in Europe) and also Sava. Those two rivers are coming together in Belgrade. Anyway, the mosquitos, the flies and other insects. It's just different from sea. Very different. I like Adriatic.

twonabomber
02-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Erie is like that.

I live a block from the lake. Weekend mornings I can hear the charter fishing boats throttle up when they get past the no-wake zone, and I can hear them come rushing back in when the sky gets dark and the wind picks up. They're a lot safer once they get inside the breakwall and into the river though.

Nitro Express
02-19-2013, 10:50 AM
What I hate most about boating is the assholes at the boat ramp. I hate people who load the boat on the ramp while there is a big line ready and waiting to launch. Have the boat loaded already. Then they can't back the trailer and they have no idea what they are doing. Oh the fuck ups I've seen. These people keep the prop manufactures in business.

Nothing like dropping the lower in the shallows and then gunning the motor. Sorry. Props can't cut rocks. Not even the stainless steel ones.

Nitro Express
02-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Lakes and rivers are a different thing then the ocean. When I was young and living in Belgrade, we often used to take the boat out on Danube (i don't know if you've heard about it but it's a big river in Europe) and also Sava. Those two rivers are coming together in Belgrade. Anyway, the mosquitos, the flies and other insects. It's just different from sea. Very different. I like Adriatic.

I've been on the ocean a ton. I rode a jet ski from Maui to Lanai and back. It was a bitch getting back due to the angle of the waves. I scuba dive. It all depends on what water you are in. The ocean is plenty dangerous and differs place to place.

Nitro Express
02-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Erie is like that.

I live a block from the lake. Weekend mornings I can hear the charter fishing boats throttle up when they get past the no-wake zone, and I can hear them come rushing back in when the sky gets dark and the wind picks up. They're a lot safer once they get inside the breakwall and into the river though.

Well there are a lot of ship wrecks in the great lakes for a reason.

DLR Bridge
02-19-2013, 11:06 AM
I've been on the ocean a ton. I rode a jet ski from Maui to Lanai and back. It was a bitch getting back due to the angle of the waves. I scuba dive. It all depends on what water you are in. The ocean is plenty dangerous and differs place to place.

I did that same trek by myself on a kayak on our honeymoon. I remember thinking how crazy it would have been if cannibals scarfed me up and left my wife a widow. Shortest marriage eva!

Seshmeister
02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Well since other peoples kids drive me up the fuckin' wall, I plan to have zero.

You can still hate other peoples kids once you have your own... :)

Nitro Express
02-19-2013, 11:24 AM
One reason I like living here is we rarely have relatives and all their annoying kids stop by. We were too close to the in laws in our last location.

envy_me
02-19-2013, 11:30 AM
One reason I like living here is we rarely have relatives and all their annoying kids stop by. We were too close to the in laws in our last location.

Weren't the children the best thing that could happend to a person :D Now you're hiding from relatives kids, LOL :D

My closest relatives (except for my parents and brother) live in London. My dad doesn't have any siblings. I have only two cousins from my moms brother, they live in London. I have met them maybe 2 or 3 times in my life. So, I have been pretty spared from other peoples kids.

twonabomber
02-19-2013, 11:38 AM
I did that same trek by myself on a kayak on our honeymoon. I remember thinking how crazy it would have been if cannibals scarfed me up and left my wife a widow. Shortest marriage eva!

I'm buying a kayak this spring but I'll be sticking to the local rivers.

Nitro Express
02-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Weren't the children the best thing that could happend to a person :D Now you're hiding from relatives kids, LOL :D

My closest relatives (except for my parents and brother) live in London. My dad doesn't have any siblings. I have only two cousins from my moms brother, they live in London. I have met them maybe 2 or 3 times in my life. So, I have been pretty spared from other peoples kids.

Your kids can be wonderful. Sister in law kids, not so much.

Nitro Express
02-19-2013, 11:41 AM

We have some really good white water just south of town. I have a few kayaks and a big raft too. I used to river guide the middle fork of the Salmon river many moons ago.

Seshmeister
02-19-2013, 12:45 PM

They must be devastated.

"Why don't we get to hear Uncle Nitro's big long endless stories about fiscal responsibility any more? We never get to hear how much better everything was when he was young now..."'

DLR Bridge
02-19-2013, 12:52 PM

You'll just have to avoid being eaten alive by midges!

Nickdfresh
02-19-2013, 01:04 PM
They must be devastated.

"Why don't we get to hear Uncle Nitro's big long endless stories about fiscal responsibility any more? We never get to hear how much better everything was when he was young now..."'

And all those awesome relatives that did cool things that we've never met... ;)

ZahZoo
02-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Y'all are starting to sound a little jealous of Uncle Nitro...

Nitro Express
02-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Mutiny on the S.S. Roth. Maybe the rum ration run out. If this website was a woman it would be having PMS.

Sensible Shoes
02-19-2013, 07:15 PM

What is a midge?

PETE'S BROTHER
02-19-2013, 07:17 PM
it's similar in size to a gad fly

DLR Bridge
02-19-2013, 08:33 PM
What is a midge?

A pesky mosquito that is prevalent in the Lake Erie area. Known greatly for their driving the Yankees bat shit crazy during an '07 playoff game against the Cleveland Indians.

twonabomber
02-20-2013, 07:48 AM

There are days I come home from work and my garage door looks like it's covered in stucco...but it's midges. Happens sometimes in the spring and again in the fall. Can't wipe them off something because with a little pressure they crush and smear and make a mess.

Seshmeister
02-20-2013, 08:08 AM
We have the bastard things here too.

Nightmare if you are wearing a kilt...

ELVIS
02-20-2013, 08:47 AM
What is the Kilt's most endearing feature ??

ELVIS
02-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Honestly, even...

DLR Bridge
02-20-2013, 09:16 AM
There are days I come home from work and my garage door looks like it's covered in stucco...but it's midges. Happens sometimes in the spring and again in the fall. Can't wipe them off something because with a little pressure they crush and smear and make a mess.

That sucks. I heard they don't actually bite, but are obviously, an f'ing nuisance. Zat true?

vandeleur
02-20-2013, 09:17 AM
I've wore one there very liberating , in a drafty bollox sort of way . but you gotta have bottle to wear one . Especially if your scared of midges seemingly :D

DLR Bridge
02-20-2013, 09:19 AM

You know, I looked the damn things up, and sure as shit, it said they are a thing in Scotland, too.

ZahZoo
02-20-2013, 09:23 AM

Get ya one of those leaf blowers that you can reverse and attach a collection bag... then just vacuum the beasties up!!

Seshmeister
02-20-2013, 09:40 AM
What is the Kilt's most endearing feature ??

Easy access and girls love them :)

envy_me
02-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Just rub some vinegar or you balls, that should scare off the insects... And everybody else :biggrin:

twonabomber
02-20-2013, 12:37 PM
That sucks. I heard they don't actually bite, but are obviously, an f'ing nuisance. Zat true?

Correct on both counts. Closer to the lake you are, the worse the midges are. They only make it so far inland. And there isn't a loud humming or buzzing sound when they swarm onto a building.

I work about 1 1/2 miles from the lake. A few Octobers ago we got invaded by the little shits and they got into the building and into the product. Most of the material was caught before it shipped but it still meant late orders and overtime to catch up and inspect everything we made. Between the losses, OT, and sealing up the building better we probably spent a million dollars.

Sesh...driving a top and doorless Jeep through a swarm of these things is probably as bad as encountering them while in a kilt. I've pedaled through some swarms too, they don't taste good either.

Sensible Shoes
02-20-2013, 03:15 PM
C'mon, I lived on Lake Erie most of my life and I never heard of a midge. Now we had SANDFLYS - could they be the same thing? They could render your windshield dark in a matter of minutes.

Sensible Shoes
02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Also note this thread has gone from giving birth to irritating bugs. DERAIL without Kristy even.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Also note this thread has gone from giving birth to irritating bugs. DERAIL without Kristy even.

one in the same...

vandeleur
02-20-2013, 03:18 PM
where I go fishing in the spring the place is covered in them , they are fucking horrible . You spend most of the day picking them out ya mouth.

DLR Bridge
02-20-2013, 03:21 PM
C'mon, I lived on Lake Erie most of my life and I never heard of a midge. Now we had SANDFLYS - could they be the same thing? They could render your windshield dark in a matter of minutes.

A Google says whaaaaa??

What Are those Cleveland Bugs?
Question: What Are those Cleveland Bugs?
Answer: Each spring and fall, Cleveland's lakefront communities are invaded by small, harmless, mosquito-like insects called midges. They only stay about five-ten days, but the swarms can be startling to visitors and newcomers.

The small, 1/8 to 1/2" long insects are properly called chironomus plumorsus and commonly, but erroneously, called Canadian soldiers. They spawn in the lake when Lake Erie warms to around 60 degrees and then again in the fall when the lake cools. They have a life span of around five to ten days.

Midges are beneficial as they provide food for a variety of freshwater fish and other aquatic creatures. The little insects also helped the Cleveland Indians to win the 2007 ALCS series when a swarm unnerved Yankees pitcher, Joba Chamberlin.

DLR Bridge
02-20-2013, 03:22 PM

With a brief stint in boating and cruises, mind you.

ZahZoo
02-20-2013, 04:29 PM

Midges are pretty common... looki like this:

http://www.uvm.edu/~chansen/Ohio%20Bird%20Banding%20-%20Spring%20Migration%202008/slides/Midge%20=%20Bird%20Food.jpg

Had something similar called Mayflies in Iowa along the Mississippi... Bit bigger but swarmed seasonally by the millions all the same.

http://www.cirrusimage.com/ephemeroptera/mayfly.JPG

vandeleur
02-20-2013, 04:36 PM
fuck me every thing is bigger in america :biggrin:

Seshmeister
02-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Those here bite lots, because they are so small it's like an itch rather than a sharp pain.

envy_me
02-21-2013, 07:16 AM
We have these terrible things called Crane flies. Luckily I have only seen them while I lived at the west coast of Sweden. I have never seen them at the east coast, even though I have lived in several cities.
They are huge, and it feels like it's a bird and not an insect. They freak me out.

Angel
02-21-2013, 07:54 AM
We have these terrible things called Crane flies. Luckily I have only seen them while I lived at the west coast of Sweden. I have never seen them at the east coast, even though I have lived in several cities.
They are huge, and it feels like it's a bird and not an insect. They freak me out.

I googled them. We call them mosquito hawks here.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-21-2013, 09:44 AM

the skeets in wisconsin have cessna written on the sides

ZahZoo
02-21-2013, 10:06 AM

We call them skeeter eaters here... but they don't eat skeeters...

DLR Bridge
02-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Changing thread title to Birth, Boats & Bugs.

Waitaminute. I don't have any authority.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-21-2013, 10:11 AM
should probly dump this too

Angel
02-21-2013, 10:38 AM
We call them skeeter eaters here... but they don't eat skeeters...

I know, crazy! We also have giant dragonflies. They look like little helicopters, lol.