PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Dick LOSES IT on the Senate Floor!

FORD
06-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Cheney curses senator over Halliburton criticism

From Steve Turnham
CNN Washington Bureau
Thursday, June 24, 2004 Posted: 6:14 PM EDT (2214 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Typically a break from partisan warfare, this year's Senate class photo turned smiles into snarls as Vice President Dick Cheney reportedly used a profanity toward one senior Democrat, sources said.

Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, who was on the receiving end of Cheney's ire, confirmed that the Vice President used profanity during Tuesday's class photo.

A spokesman for Cheney confirmed there was a "frank exchange of views."

Using profanity on the Senate floor while the Senate is session is against the rules. But the Senate was technically not in session at the time and the normal rules did not apply, a Senate official said.

The story, which was recounted by several sources, goes like this:

Cheney, who as president of the Senate was present for the picture day, turned to Leahy and scolded the senator over his recent criticism of the vice president for Halliburton's alleged war profiteering.

Cheney is the former CEO of Halliburton, and Democrats have suggested that while serving in the Bush administration he helped win lucrative contracts for his former firm, including a no-bid contract to rebuild Iraq.

Cheney's office has said repeatedly that the vice president has no role in government contracting and has severed all financial ties with the Texas-based oil services conglomerate.

Cheney was chief executive officer of Halliburton from 1995 to 2000. He resigned when he became George Bush's running mate.

Responding to Cheney's comment, Leahy reminded him of an earlier statement the vice president had made about him. Cheney then replied with profanity.

Leahy would not comment on the specifics of the story Thursday, but did confirm that Cheney used profanity.

"I think he was just having a bad day," said Leahy, "and I was kind of shocked to hear that kind of language on the floor."

Kevin Kellems, a spokesman for the vice president, said, "That doesn't sound like the kind of language that the vice president would use, but I can confirm that there was a frank exchange of views."

FORD
06-24-2004, 07:05 PM
Now I want to see all the same level of Republican outrage over this that there was over Judas saying that Bush "fucked up" the Iraq war. :D

John Ashcroft
06-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Did I ever express outrage over John "F'ing" Kerry's "slip"? ;)

I could though, seeing as I never utter profanity... They should all follow my example. :D

Sgt Schultz
06-25-2004, 09:00 AM
Leahy deserves to be told to go fuck himself and hopefully that's what Cheney told him.

Peace brothers.

John Ashcroft
06-25-2004, 09:30 AM
I agree. I don't know why he's still in the Senate, after leaking classified info and all. If he were a G.I., he'd have been court martialed and sent to jail.

FORD
06-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Leaking classified info? You mean like Crashcart did with the name of a CIA agent? ;)

John Ashcroft
06-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Nope, not like that at all... I'm talking about real leaks, not imaginary ones. :p

FORD
06-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Nothing imaginary about that one. And Cheney can't claim ignorance of it being illegal either, since he was there when Poppy Bush, veteran of the CIA that he is, made it a crime in the first place.