PDA

View Full Version : David Lee Roth - Hina

WARF
02-25-2013, 04:00 PM
This has always been my favorite song on , "Skyscraper".

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kVExaTQEkqw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kVExaTQEkqw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Cato
02-25-2013, 04:33 PM
love this song too.

didn't you start the same thread a few years ago?

WARF
02-25-2013, 05:26 PM
love this song too.

didn't you start the same thread a few years ago?

I don't remember.

Skyscraper was one of Dave's weaker efforts IMO...

But this song has so much atmosphere.

I'm not saying I don't like skyscraper, but it was pale in comparison to EEAS.

Cato
02-25-2013, 05:51 PM
I agree WARF.

to me, Skyscraper is like a "corporate rock" album.
but if "Stand Up" was not on there, I might've had a different impression.

WARF
02-25-2013, 05:55 PM
I agree WARF.

to me, Skyscraper is like a "corporate rock" album.
but if "Stand Up" was not on there, I might've had a different impression.

It took many years for me to like, "Stand Up". That song always represented to me the beginning of Roth's declining solo career. It was just a bad choice for the 2nd single of Skyscraper. I would have went with either Hina or Damn Good.

Zing!
02-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Its been said countless times in countless other threads, but strip the entire thing down and release it as a digital album. Sales at the Army alone would probably cover the cost of remastering. Just don't let Vai anywhere near the project...

Zing!
02-25-2013, 06:01 PM
It took many years for me to like, "Stand Up". That song always represented to me the beginning of Roth's declining solo career. It was just a bad choice for the 2nd single of Skyscraper. I would have went with either Hina or Damn Good.

Stand Up is a clear case of the video being worse than the song (although not by much). It doesn't pass the kid test - meaning that's the point on the Cato DVD in which my kids get bored and walk away. A truly lousy vid, it was nice to see DLR redeem himself with ALAE.

WARF
02-25-2013, 06:06 PM
The song "Just like Paradise" was originally supposed to be used for the sitcom "Beverly Hills 90210" but it was rejected by Roth's management I don't think that was a smart move. If high school kids who watched that show religiously throughout the early 90's were introduced to Roth's music, maybe it would have carried over into the popularity of "A little Ain't Enough".

Speaking of ALAE, Bob Rock aka the band killer may have also cursed David Lee Roth. It seems like every band he works with begins the decline of their careers. It's almost similar to the curse of Madonna's kiss.

WARF
02-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Stand Up is a clear case of the video being worse than the song (although not by much). It doesn't pass the kid test - meaning that's the point on the Cato DVD in which my kids get bored and walk away. A truly lousy vid, it was nice to see DLR redeem himself with ALAE.

I disagree with you ZING! , I think the video was the only redeeming aspect of the song. It's definitely not Roth's best videos, but it has a campy cheesy 80's vibe to it, and the chicks in the video are worthy of a full erection in WARF's boxers. I like the video. Let's not forget about Vai in the trenchcoat with his triple neck heart guitar (or was that Just Like Paradise video?) regardless that was the epitome of cool.

78/84 guy
02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
I don't remember.

Skyscraper was one of Dave's weaker efforts IMO...

But this song has so much atmosphere.

I'm not saying I don't like skyscraper, but it was pale in comparison to EEAS.

Album was a little soft. And after Eat Em' I didn't get all of it. It's still a good album. Hina is a great song.

Zing!
02-25-2013, 06:28 PM
I like the video. Let's not forget about Vai in the trenchcoat with his triple neck heart guitar (or was that Just Like Paradise video?) regardless that was the epitome of cool.

Cooler than Haggar's red jumpsuit in their Nanananana video, yes. But the epitome of cool? Not in the 1988 that I remember (or any other decade before or since). If that was cool to you then I need to see snapshots of your late 80's wardrobe attire. Dave AND Vai looked like douches in that video. I thought it then and I still think it now. Love Dave, but he struck out on that video.

Cato
02-25-2013, 06:35 PM

haha. I'll omit that song when I recreate the DVD in the future!

btw is yours "Napalm Up Yo' Ass" or "Blast From Pasadena"?

WARF
02-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Cooler than Haggar's red jumpsuit in their Nanananana video, yes. But the epitome of cool? Not in the 1988 that I remember (or any other decade before or since). If that was cool to you then I need to see snapshots of your late 80's wardrobe attire. Dave AND Vai looked like douches in that video. I thought it then and I still think it now. Love Dave, but he struck out on that video.

Sammy Hagar has turned into a clone of Jeff Bridges in "The Big Lebowski".

http://static.igossip.com/photos_2012/207/sammy-hagar-totally-looks-like-jeff-bridges.jpg

As far as my wardrobe back in 1988, I was just a long haired metal head back then. I had Slayer "South of Heaven" and Metallica "And Justice for all.." both on cassette on my walkman playing back and forth constantly.... I was the kid calling Adam Curry 10 times a day on DIAL-MTV trying to get the Metallica "One" video as the top video of the day.

Zing!
02-25-2013, 06:41 PM
btw is yours "Napalm Up Yo' Ass" or "Blast From Pasadena"?

Uhhh... I dunno? DonnieP?

P.S. You gotta leave it on there Cato-San. There are more than a few D-Ro videos I don't jive to, but we must celebrate the man's entire catalog, turkeys and all. If nothing else it helps expose Army members with fetishes for sailor suits, designer cowboy boots, and close-cropped bangs.

Zing!
02-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Sammy Hagar has turned into a clone of Jeff Bridges in "The Big Lebowski".

http://static.igossip.com/photos_2012/207/sammy-hagar-totally-looks-like-jeff-bridges.jpg

Dude - I JUST watched that movie this weekend and I swear to god I thought the same thing. Weirdness! I was considering being The Dude this Halloween, but now I'm worried people might ask me: "Are you Sammy Haggar?"

lesfunk
02-25-2013, 06:48 PM
nowhere near as likable though

DONNIEP
02-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Zing has the Blast From Pasadena - I've sent copies of that all over the world thanks to Cato!

Cato
02-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Zing has the Blast From Pasadena - I've sent copies of that all over the world thanks to Cato!

thank you too! feel free to do the same for other Roth Army donors!

WARF
02-25-2013, 07:03 PM

Do I even have that one? I got some many damn DVD's I am only maybe 1/3 way through them.

DONNIEP
02-25-2013, 07:40 PM
WARF - you got it too! It's a killer DVD. Cato was cool enough to send it to me and I wanted to spread it around.

WARF
02-25-2013, 07:43 PM
WARF - you got it too! It's a killer DVD. Cato was cool enough to send it to me and I wanted to spread it around.

I'm gonna watch right now. Thanks again bro!

Zing!
02-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Dave and Pete A. were batting a thousand until Stand Up (or maybe Angelus wasn't involved with that production and that's why the video stinks). Any idea who directed Dave's videos after Just Like Paradise (which I think was directed by B-movie champ Renny Harlin).

WARF
02-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Dave and Pete A. were batting a thousand until Stand Up (or maybe Angelus wasn't involved with that production and that's why the video stinks). Any idea who directed Dave's videos after Just Like Paradise (which I think was directed by B-movie champ Renny Harlin).

I don't see a problem with the official video for Stand Up, even though the song is kinda shitty. I think Roth looks cool in his white rocker suit. I can do without the pompadour though!

DONNIEP
02-25-2013, 08:03 PM

I wish I had the Pete and Dave interview where they're in the swimming pool and Pete is in full Picasso outfit.

Zing!
02-25-2013, 09:05 PM
I got a buddy that has the David Lee Roth Videos on VHS. That has some interviews at Irv's (?) with some hotties between the vids, but can't remember if Pete made an appearance on that. Is that circulating on DVD? If not, I'll borrow it and get it transferred to share.

WARF
02-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Here you go Zing!

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zXKp4lsgYY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zXKp4lsgYY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Roth on!!!

Zing!
02-25-2013, 09:15 PM
I don't see a problem with the official video for Stand Up, even though the song is kinda shitty. I think Roth looks cool in his white rocker suit. I can do without the pompadour though!

Other than Dave dressing like a poof, I think what bugs me the most about the Stand Up video is the set design. It's bare bones, but doesn't have the stripped down awesomeness of Jump. After the over the top zaniness of the CFTH vids and EEAS vids, Stand Up is embarrassingly lame in comparison. Fake Skyscrapers on wheels and some piped in fog just doesn't cut it. It's like WB had a deadline so Dave shot the video in a day with no script. I remember thinking when it premiered that Vai must be embarrassed by the song and/or video since the only thing you can see of him is his nose, mouth, and fingers.

WARF
02-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Other than Dave dressing like a poof, I think what bugs me the most about the Stand Up video is the set design. It's bare bones, but doesn't have the stripped down awesomeness of Jump. After the over the top zaniness of the CFTH vids and EEAS vids, Stand Up is embarrassingly lame in comparison. Fake Skyscrapers on wheels and some piped in fog just doesn't cut it. It's like WB had a deadline so Dave shot the video in a day with no script. I remember thinking when it premiered that Vai must be embarrassed by the song and/or video since the only thing you can see of him is his nose, mouth, and fingers.

Stand Up Vs. Tattoo

Which video is better? ;)

Zing!
02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Stand Up Vs. Tattoo

Which video is better? ;)

Well, that's comparing rotten apples with rotten oranges, but I'd give the nod to Tattoo by a hair. At least I can watch Tattoo once in awhile. Like I said - DLR found his mojo again with the ALAE video, and even Sensible Shoes was kind of avant garde in an early 90's kind of way. He was hit and miss after that (didn't care for She's My Machine, but thought Night Life was fantastic, etc.) But anyway - back on topic. Love Hina - one of my faves from that album, but I agree with what someone said above - when Skyscraper first came out I really wanted it to blow OU812 out of the water - but it was kind of...WTF? I didn't really like either album at the time - and don't own either album now, or any other Van Haggar album for the record.

Skyscraper is the only DLR disk I don't have on cd. When my first copy got too scratched to play I simply never had the desire to replace it. Other than Knucklebones, Hina, and Damn Good, it just doesn't do anything for me.

WARF
02-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Well, that's comparing rotten apples with rotten oranges, but I'd give the nod to Tattoo by a hair. At least I can watch Tattoo once in awhile. Like I said - DLR found his mojo again with the ALAE video, and even Sensible Shoes was kind of avant garde in an early 90's kind of way. He was hit and miss after that (didn't care for She's My Machine, but thought Night Life was fantastic, etc.) But anyway - back on topic. Love Hina - one of my faves from that album, but I agree with what someone said above - when Skyscraper first came out I really wanted it to blow OU812 out of the water - but it was kind of...WTF? I didn't really like either album at the time - and don't own either album now, or any other Van Haggar album for the record.

Skyscraper is the only DLR disk I don't have on cd. When my first copy got too scratched to play I simply never had the desire to replace it. Other than Knucklebones, Hina, and Damn Good, it just doesn't do anything for me.

I didn't like his choices for singles or either the video for "Sensible Shoes" or "Tell The Truth" very boring videos.... and he was trying to be a mature artist on TELL THE TRUTH... the kicks in the video go against the music. lol

They should have did videos in color for DROP IN THE BUCKET and It's Showtime! I bet the album would have sold alot more copies!

DONNIEP
02-25-2013, 09:49 PM
I got a buddy that has the David Lee Roth Videos on VHS. That has some interviews at Irv's (?) with some hotties between the vids, but can't remember if Pete made an appearance on that. Is that circulating on DVD? If not, I'll borrow it and get it transferred to share.

I've seen the interview at Irv's. they did the photo shoot there that day too. I want that on DVD so bad. If you get a chance to get a copy I'm looking for one :)

Cato
02-25-2013, 11:04 PM
ok let me talk about "Blast From Pasadena".

it's a DVD I created last year just for donors of this site(I'm a mod of the donors forum).
you have to be a donor to get it, and you must not copy it for un-donors. it's available only among the Roth Army donors.

it has all of Dave's music videos and most of them are hi-quality. those are copies of the broadcast master reel(don't ask how I got them).

I created a similar DVD called "Napalm Up Yo' Ass" 8 years ago. "Blast" is an upgread/update version of it.

there are some differences between those two.

the quality of "Blast" is a bit better than "Napalm" and menu is cooler.

I added some tracks newly(Tattoo, She's The Woman, Ice Cream Man)

there's no TV station logo on screen(Napalm has it on Shoo Bop)

Napalm has a lot of milli second gaps on audio track but Blast doesn't have them. sound is just clear....

I think there are more differences but can't remember.

again, it's the one just for donors. if you want it, donate to this site. then someone will send you a copy.
this DVD would be worth more than 10 US dollars if you like to watch Dave's videos.

Track List

VH
1. You Really Got Me
2. Runnin' With The Devil
3. Jamie's Cryin'
4. Dance The Night Away
5. You're No Good
6. Bottms Up
7. Hear About It Later
8. So This Is Love
9. Unchained
10. (Oh)Pretty Woman
11. LA Is My Lady(Intro)
12. Jump
13. Panama
14. Hot For Teacher
15. Tattoo
16. She's The Woman

DLR Solo
17. California Girls
18. Just A Gigolo(I Ain't Got Nobody)
19. Yankee Rose
20. Goin' Crazy!
21. Loco Del Calor!
22. That's Life
23. Just Like Paradise
24. Stand Up
25. A Lil Ain't Enough
26. Sensible Shoes
27. Tell The Truth
28. She's My Machine
29. Night Life
30. Ice Cream Man('95)
31. Shoo Bop

Running Time : 126 minutes

Northern Girl
02-25-2013, 11:12 PM
I created a similar DVD called "Napalm Up Yo' Ass" 8 years ago.

Napalm was great! That was 8 years ago? Wow!

Zing!
02-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Cato - have you ever tracked down the medically themed vid for Loss of Control - or is the quality for that one too lousy to include on yours? I used to have that on a =VH= video compilation back in the VHS days. Dave acts like it's the first time he's ever been in front of the camera - or is completely coked to the gills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXqoVBTiO58

WARF
02-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Cato - have you ever tracked down the medically themed vid for Loss of Control - or is the quality for that one too lousy to include on yours? I used to have that on a =VH= video compilation back in the VHS days. Dave acts like it's the first time he's ever been in front of the camera - or is completely coked to the gills.

Is there is a better version that this? I never even knew about this video before I saw it on youtube a few years ago.

Cato
02-26-2013, 06:05 PM

I put just official stuff on Blast. it's an unofficial official music video collection of DLR.
the Loss Of Control vid is not official. that's why I didn't put it on Blast.