PDA

View Full Version : Vikings

ZahZoo
02-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Looking forward to this new series on History Channel this Sunday...

ZahZoo
02-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Some more sneak peek...

Coyote
02-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Looks interesting...

Northern Girl
02-28-2013, 09:24 PM
If only they could get a quarterback! :biggrin:

Nitro Express
03-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Having a norwegian grandfather and an Icelandic grandmother and being dragged to numerous Icelandic and Norske festivals I can testify that viking food sucks.
One of the best No Reservations ever. I love seeing Anthony suffer.

ZahZoo
03-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Another sneak...

Hardrock69
03-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Come on....make if fucking authentic and speak in the Old Tongue with English subtitles.....the cable channels are searching for ways to create more sword and sandal shit and so are grasping at the next type of storyline......Romans are old hat.....time for VIKINGS.....so when are they going to create a series about the Goths? Or Genghis Khan?

There are only so many epic tales of brave warriors with swords they can draw on.....they are running out of material.....

ZahZoo
03-03-2013, 11:41 AM
That's ok if you don't like swords and sandal shows... just tune into Lifetime for women network like you usually do...

sadaist
03-03-2013, 12:42 PM
If only they could get a quarterback! :biggrin:

LOL. I see what you did there.

Headly1984
03-03-2013, 01:07 PM
I was looking forward to this until it seemed it was a drama and not an informative history show

a drama-tory show ? doh!

FORD
03-03-2013, 04:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uX9EHiE5kY

High Life Man
03-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Took a walking tour in Dublin last year and in one area of the city, there was a viking village (I think there was some controversy because they wanted to build city hall on it).

Anyway, they had a bunch of us lay down on a re-creation of their "house". Our heads and legs stuck past where the walls would have been - apparently, Vikings were quite small.

Wonder if that will be addressed.

chefcraig
03-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Man, what a TV night! At 8PM (all times EST) you have the return of the obviously fake but entertaining Amish Mafia on Discovery, Walking Dead at 9PM on AMC, Bar Rescue at 10PM on SPIKE, then (thankfully) a rerun of the Vikings premiere on HISTORY at 11PM.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/7_17_4-1.gif

Nitro Express
03-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Took a walking tour in Dublin last year and in one area of the city, there was a viking village (I think there was some controversy because they wanted to build city hall on it).

Anyway, they had a bunch of us lay down on a re-creation of their "house". Our heads and legs stuck past where the walls would have been - apparently, Vikings were quite small.

You can go to the tower of London and look at the armor collection there. The suits of armor are tiny. People were just smaller in the old times because their diets were poor. Life expectancy was short. They still were a bunch of greedy fuckwits just like we are today.

Nitro Express
03-03-2013, 06:52 PM

Are the pubs in Dublin really as good as they are rumored to be?

Hardrock69
03-03-2013, 07:28 PM
See for yourself. Live look at the outside of a pub in Dublin. Make sure your audio is on, and you can hear the drunks as they laugh and scream as they walk around. You can also zoom in and pan around:

http://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

Hardrock69
03-03-2013, 07:45 PM
That's ok if you don't like swords and sandal shows... just tune into Lifetime for women network like you usually do...

Not into women's programming. This Vikings show looks cool, and looks like it will be very well done, but if I wanna watch fictitious stuff about Vikings, I will watch "The Vikings" with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis. I would think this is going to be on the level of the Spartacus series on Showtime. Meaning they will try to be historically accurate and all that.

High Life Man
03-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Are the pubs in Dublin really as good as they are rumored to be?

Temple Bar is pretty touristy, but has a couple of cool joints. We had the most fun when we moved away from that area. Good beer and met some really cool people.

Hardrock69
03-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Heck, it was the same way when I visited London in 1989. I was not paying attention as to what was "touristy" or not....just went into whatever pub I wanted.....with the permission of the girlfriend I had at the time, lol.

I am hoping that someday I can go over there for another visit.

Nitro Express
03-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Temple Bar is pretty touristy, but has a couple of cool joints. We had the most fun when we moved away from that area. Good beer and met some really cool people.

I'm still trying to forgive the Irish for sending Bono over here.:biggrin:

Nitro Express
03-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Not into women's programming. This Vikings show looks cool, and looks like it will be very well done, but if I wanna watch fictitious stuff about Vikings, I will watch "The Vikings" with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis. I would think this is going to be on the level of the Spartacus series on Showtime. Meaning they will try to be historically accurate and all that.

They always make the viking axe heads wrong in movies and shows. They were symmetrical. They always drop the lower edge down too much to make them look cool but they used that lower edge to pull their opponents shields away and hook onto armor and body parts. I don't know if they threw their axes but I have a couple viking ax copies and they throw pretty good. Also the head design works good for chopping wood.

clarathecarrot
03-04-2013, 10:44 AM
They always make the viking axe heads wrong in movies and shows. They were symmetrical. They always drop the lower edge down too much to make them look cool but they used that lower edge to pull their opponents shields away and hook onto armor and body parts. I don't know if they threw their axes but I have a couple viking ax copies and they throw pretty good. Also the head design works good for chopping wood.

I found this old picture of my laying waste to a couple of, Viking Frost Giants.

A more acurate axe is pictured.

The axe is a great tool for taking everything from a non-beliver.

However the wieght if not wielded properly can send you to Valhalla instead of honoring it, with the vanquished.

I watched some of that show it is based on historical viking archeological findings such as a candle holder on a table and different set pieces and such but the show is a series or mimi series docudrama..seems ok.

It may not be as good as this one though(mythology)...Assante was awesome don't miss this if it airs again good couple hours of show here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odyssey_(TV_miniseries)

ZahZoo
03-05-2013, 09:10 AM
First episode was ok as a setup... not too much drama... not too much violence. Seemed like they crammed in a lot for an hour.

Green Manalishi
03-05-2013, 01:17 PM
I thought it was highly entertaining . I don't know how historically accurate it is , I'm no expert . It sure is intriguing though . Wish I could go back to that time period and take a peek . Seems like the producers , cast , and crew went to great lengths to be as accurate as possible . Hopefully they are not taking liberties with historical facts just to jazz it up . I wouldn't want to refer to the History Channel as the History Revisionist channel . I plan to watch the entire series .

Zing!
03-05-2013, 02:31 PM
I thought it was highly entertaining . I don't know how historically accurate it is , I'm no expert . It sure is intriguing though . Wish I could go back to that time period and take a peek . Seems like the producers , cast , and crew went to great lengths to be as accurate as possible . Hopefully they are not taking liberties with historical facts just to jazz it up . I wouldn't want to refer to the History Channel as the History Revisionist channel . I plan to watch the entire series .

You mean the "Our Version of History" Channel?

ZahZoo
03-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Episode 2 is better than the debut episode... raping, pillaging, etc...

It's available at history.com already...

Mushroom
04-07-2013, 09:03 PM
My favorite new show! Ragnar's wife is hot!

ELVIS
04-07-2013, 09:11 PM
:rockit: