PDA

View Full Version : Prince on Jimmy Fallon...

twonabomber
03-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Damn!

He must be channeling his inner Kravitz.

vandeleur
03-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Regardless of your opinion of the baggage as a musician Prince is fucking awsome .

Green Manalishi
03-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Prince is an awesome musical genius . I have a substantial stack of Prince CD's . I luv that new tune " Screwdriver " The official video is pretty damn cool , too ! I would pay top dollar to see Prince live .

FORD
03-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Kinda surprised he brought the Afro back. Hasn't had that since his first album way back in 1978.

jhale667
03-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Kinda surprised he brought the Afro back. Hasn't had that since his first album way back in 1978.

I like the smaller, heavier band approach, too...

Hardrock69
03-02-2013, 06:42 PM
I do as well. And I like the fact he employs women for his band. Not enough of that these days.

Headly1984
03-02-2013, 06:54 PM
If ya dig chicks that rock - not to preach to the choir - but Jack White used 2 bands on his last outings and on SNL

1 all female, 1 male

JW is a freak of nature - like EVH & Hendrix, - He knows his instrument unconsciously..

Coyote
03-02-2013, 07:12 PM
I do as well. And I like the fact he employs women for his band. Not enough of that these days.

What's really impressive is his vocals. A guy that far in his career, and he still gets the falsetto going? Kudos to you, sir...

And that ain't no inner Kravitz he's channeling, IMO. Kravitz channels Prince...

Headly1984
03-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Good to hear him play guitar - he has/was supposed to have been the next Hendrix for yrs now

Seshmeister
03-02-2013, 07:41 PM
I think he's a much better guitarist now than he was 20 years ago.

I also think he is completely nuts but there is nothing wrong with that in a rock star... :)

jhale667
03-02-2013, 07:46 PM
What's really impressive is his vocals. A guy that far in his career, and he still gets the falsetto going? Kudos to you, sir...

And that ain't no inner Kravitz he's channeling, IMO. Kravitz channels Prince...

THANK you! Did Kravitz' career start in 1977? Please.

FORD
03-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Actually, when I first heard Lenny Kravitz on the radio (Let Love Rule), my first thought was "it sounds like Prince joined the Beatles".

So it's pretty obvious who influenced whom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcU57tAKzng

FORD
03-02-2013, 07:53 PM
I think he's a much better guitarist now than he was 20 years ago.

I also think he is completely nuts but there is nothing wrong with that in a rock star... :)

Unless he starts handing out copies of "The Watchtower" at his concerts.......

twonabomber
03-02-2013, 07:59 PM

THANK you! Did Kravitz' career start in 1977? Please.

I meant the 'fro, you twerps! :D

Coyote
03-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Actually, when I first heard Lenny Kravitz on the radio (Let Love Rule), my first thought was "it sounds like Prince joined the Beatles".

So it's pretty obvious who influenced whom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcU57tAKzng

Especially on tracks like "Black Velveteen".

jhale667
03-02-2013, 09:28 PM
I meant the 'fro, you twerps! :D

:lmao:

Nickdfresh
03-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Who's the chick band?

And I think there was a bit of genius to The Doors doing "The Reading Rainbow" theme...

twonabomber
03-03-2013, 11:59 AM
I like the smaller, heavier band approach, too...

I am curious to see how the older hits sound with this new band...or if he even plays them at all.

Bambi is an older song, I'm trying to think of some of the other heavy guitar stuff they could bring back.

The one Prince show I saw (maybe the NewPowerSoul tour) had Najee on the sax, and it was WAY too much Najee. I imagined it was what a Kenny G show would be like.

The new band:

Donna Gratis: guitar
Hannah Ford: drummer
Ida Nielson: bass

There's speculation that this is another incarnation of the New Power Trio, instead of the New Power Generation. New Power Trio is featured in some of the aftershows, i think the one Sesh saw was a NPT show.

ELVIS
03-03-2013, 01:45 PM
And I like the fact he employs women for his band. Not enough of that these days.

Oh bullshit...

VAiN
03-03-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm one of the people who don't get Prince. Catchy tunes and all - but a genius? The next Hendrix? Come on now... I just don't see or hear it.

Nitro Express
03-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm one of the people who don't get Prince. Catchy tunes and all - but a genius? The next Hendrix? Come on now... I just don't see or hear it.

It's one thing to have a good band but how do you get people to notice that? Image. Prince is a master at getting attention with image. You have to have something different going. The brilliance of Prince was he was a good mix between substance and shock value. As he's aged he's dialed down the shock, continues to make good music but has a little something there for you. Actually having the girls playing in his band makes him seem younger and more relevant. Prince was always image smart. He knows how to milk it.

VAiN
03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
I'll definitely give you that - he's good with marketing. He created a brand that's sort of mysterious.. He shows up every now & then, kills it and goes home. I guess that adds to it. I thought his Super Bowl performance a few years back was one of the better ones in a long time.

Hardrock69
03-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Well leave it to the Purple Tool to amaze everyone, then demonstrate what a fucking asshole he is:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/195134/prince-smashed-someone-elses-1961-epiphone-on-fallon/

Prince smashed someone else’s 1961 Epiphone on ‘Fallon’
By Alex Moore 2 days ago

Prince absolutely killed it on “Jimmy Fallon” Friday night, playing his new tune “Screwdriver” and the classic “Bambi.”

After Unleashing a blistering solo on Bambi he did a guitar virtuoso’s version of dropping the mic before walking off stage, throwing his guitar up into the air and letting it crash to the ground. Just one problem: the axe wasn’t his. The Gear Page points out the guitar was a gorgeous 1961 Epiphone Crestwood that belongs to Captian Kirk Douglas of Fallon’s house band The Roots. Apparently when Prince arrived for rehearsal he admired the guitar and asked to borrow it for the performance. Douglas agreed, and then Prince wrecked it at the end of “Bambi.” Douglas tweeted out this picture with the caption “Purple Pain”:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2gxiqhl.jpg

And then tweeted:

Kirk Douglas @CaptainKDouglas

Maybe it's because I'm a dad but I think framing the guitar is a little like rewarding bad behavior.

The worst part? Douglas apparently asked Prince to sign it for him, and Prince said no.

jhale667
03-05-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm a fan, but I will say this... he'd be in a purple body cast if he'd done that shit to my guitar... :mad:

jhale667
03-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Small bright side I guess..

@captainkdouglas We'll help fixer up. Was awesome & frightening at the same time! #ItsPrince - @epiphone @jimmyfallon— Gibson90210 (@Gibson90210) March 4, 2013

Still pretty F*ed up of the purple one... :rolleyes: Totally ruined the performance (which up until that point I thought was awesome) for me, knowing that he'd ended it on such a note of epic douchebaggery. If you wanna pull a Paul Stanley and buy a "beater" to smash at the gig that's one thing, but to "Hey, can I borrow your guitar?" like the dude was gonna turn PRINCE down, it'd be an honor - and then pull THAT on the dude... :wow2:

Matt White
03-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Small bright side I guess..

@captainkdouglas We'll help fixer up. Was awesome & frightening at the same time! #ItsPrince - @epiphone @jimmyfallon— Gibson90210 (@Gibson90210) March 4, 2013

Still pretty F*ed up of the purple one... :rolleyes: Totally ruined the performance (which up until that point I thought was awesome) for me, knowing that he'd ended it on such a note of epic douchebaggery. If you wanna pull a Paul Stanley and buy a "beater" to smash at the gig that's one thing, but to "Hey, can I borrow your guitar?" like the dude was gonna turn PRINCE down, it'd be an honor - and then pull THAT on the dude... :wow2:

I'm with J.....I'd have punted that Purple Midget like a football!

Seshmeister
03-05-2013, 08:11 PM
I wondered when I saw that as I've seen him throw his guitar pretty spectacularly to roadies recently.

I think he lost contact with reality quite a long time ago, fuck knows what goes through his self obsessed brain at this point.

Seshmeister
03-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Anyone know what a guitar like that is worth?

To be honest I didn't know you got Epiphones that old.

jhale667
03-05-2013, 08:30 PM
I wondered when I saw that as I've seen him throw his guitar pretty spectacularly to roadies recently.

Tom Kieffer and his tech had it down to an art back in the day, where they'd each simultaneously throw the other the guitars during a switch - Kieffer never left the stage, the tech never left the pit - just (vintage!) guitars flying through the air past each other. Saw an interview where he was asked "Do accidents ever happen?" 'Oh, YEAH...' But again, those were HIS guitars, HIS choice...

I think he lost contact with reality quite a long time ago, fuck knows what goes through his self obsessed brain at this point.

Sure seems like it, because otherwise how wouldn't it occur to you that might be... ever-so slightly dickish?

Not sure how much a vintage Epi goes for... but even if it wasn't vintage... DICK move on Prince's part...

Seshmeister
03-05-2013, 08:31 PM
I've posted this before but if you are curious about getting an insight into the crazy world of Prince I recommend the 40 minute chat Kevin Smith made about his experiences working with him on YouTube in 4 parts.

It was also kind of odd that Prince decided to try and charge people to view the video of his new single on the internet?

He's threatened before to stop releasing music at all because he feels he isn't getting paid properly for it. How can he not understand that if you make a few hundred grand a night on tour it's ok to view the album as a promotional item in the exact same way that conversely in the 1980s you would make nothing touring but use that to promote your album sales.

Another money obsessed religionist, it's ironic how often these things seem to go together...

78/84 guy
03-05-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm a fan, but I will say this... he'd be in a purple body cast if he'd done that shit to my guitar... :mad:

The guy is a no talent fucking asshole. Case closed !!! I would have taken what was left of my guitar and knocked the little faggot upside his head. What is sad is the guy from the Roots kissing his ass saying it is no big deal. What an ass kisser. Fucking pathetic !

FORD
03-06-2013, 01:17 AM
Another money obsessed religionist, it's ironic how often these things seem to go together...

Actually, it kinda makes sense for a Jehova's Witness to be obsessed with money.....

They believe that only 144,000 people, out of everyone who has ever lived, will make it to Heaven. The rest of the good people will be resurrected here on Earth. And Prince, being quite the "sinner" in his younger years, probably has zero chance of being among the 144,000. So in his thinking, he needs to make not only enough money for this life, but enough to stash away for when he's resurrected here on earth. I'm sure he's confident that Jehova won't let him forget his Swiss bank account numbers.

Nitro Express
03-06-2013, 01:25 AM
Having grown up in a religion that believed we were "The Chosen People" there is a motivator to be better than everyone else. It's a religious duty to do so. The Jews have a similar mindset. Money is viewed as security and it's also viewed as being a reward for living the word of God. Religious leaders are not stupid. They want their subjects to be money earners because that means bigger church donations and a richer church. If you do follow the church teachings and church leaders advice you tend to make more money and not only that you are participating in a system that opens up all sorts of business contacts and opportunities. For some, paying that 10% tithing helps them make money actually and that is how the system works. Some people like participating in such systems. Not everyone is miserable and wants to leave.

Nitro Express
03-06-2013, 01:41 AM
Actually, it kinda makes sense for a Jehova's Witness to be obsessed with money.....

They believe that only 144,000 people, out of everyone who has ever lived, will make it to Heaven. The rest of the good people will be resurrected here on Earth. And Prince, being quite the "sinner" in his younger years, probably has zero chance of being among the 144,000. So in his thinking, he needs to make not only enough money for this life, but enough to stash away for when he's resurrected here on earth. I'm sure he's confident that Jehova won't let him forget his Swiss bank account numbers.

Actually some people embrace a religion because it's something to toss their guilt onto so they don't have do deal with it. I just got done reading about Heidi Fleiss and she did admit Prince came to one of her parties which basically was an orgy. I doubt Prince is the good church boy but the church thing gives him a sense of stability. You have to understand even in a demanding church like Jahova's Witness' celebrities and wealthy members get special treatment. Heck, Howard Hughe's widow Terry Moore still claims to be an active Mormon and she probably hasn't been to church in years. She also holds the record for being the oldest woman to pose in Playboy. A nice lady but flaky. Prince is flaky. They seem to embrace the religious thing.

ashstralia
03-06-2013, 03:54 AM
anyone considered the possibility of a set up?

maybe the dude didn't want the guitar any more. i've seen enough wrecks that aren't worth it, salvageable parts though.

more kudos if it has some celebrity connection. (auction the thing for charity?)

the show wins, the generous guitar gifter wins, poonce wins, gibson wins, we're all discussing it; great promo!!!

Nitro Express
03-06-2013, 05:21 AM
anyone considered the possibility of a set up?

maybe the dude didn't want the guitar any more. i've seen enough wrecks that aren't worth it, salvageable parts though.

more kudos if it has some celebrity connection. (auction the thing for charity?)

the show wins, the generous guitar gifter wins, poonce wins, gibson wins, we're all discussing it; great promo!!!

Maybe Prince was so high on himself he felt he was doing the guy a favor by busting his guitar on stage. LOL! Wow man! My guitar got busted up by Prince. Put it in a frame and hang it on the wall.

Seshmeister
03-06-2013, 06:19 AM

I dunno I think someone with an stratospheric ego the size of Prince's will be very confident of making the 144 000.

How the bozo's who knock my door with this plainly ridiculous superstition have any confidence in making the cut I don't know... :)

Nitro Express
03-06-2013, 07:20 AM
It's just another wacky cult. If they don't rape the children or kill people who cares, let them waste their lives.

Seshmeister
03-06-2013, 07:34 AM
It's important to disrespect and mock their beliefs though.

Over here we frequently have to take JW parents to court so that their children may receive life saving surgery because their wacky religion prohibits blood transfusion.

Angel
03-06-2013, 07:50 AM
The guy is a no talent fucking asshole. Case closed !!! I would have taken what was left of my guitar and knocked the little faggot upside his head. What is sad is the guy from the Roots kissing his ass saying it is no big deal. What an ass kisser. Fucking pathetic !

Really....no talent? He may be an asshole, but he's a talented one.

As for the "faggot" remark...you sound like a gay basher. Do you hang outside gay bars and beat up the men coming out by chance?

jhale667
03-06-2013, 08:25 AM
The guy is a no talent fucking asshole.

He's definitely an asshole, but his talent is undeniable...

Matt White
03-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Really....no talent? He may be an asshole, but he's a talented one.

As for the "faggot" remark...you sound like a gay basher. Do you hang outside gay bars and beat up the men coming out by chance?

PRINCE has more "talent" in his little toe than 95% of people in the music biz have in their bodies.....and that guy has tapped more fine women than anybodies business.............

still, he's "as crazy as a shit-house rat®!!!"

Seshmeister
03-06-2013, 08:43 AM
All the more impressive when you take into account that back in the day even in his high heels Prince would be gazing into Ronnie James Dio's navel.

78/84 guy
03-07-2013, 05:53 PM

I can't help that people have horrid taste in music ! He rips off his guitar licks from Hendrix to write shitty songs. I live in MN. and know people (many) that have had to deal with this guy personally and profesionally that all tell horror stories of what a prick he is. People like U2 also, and good for them. But I would rather watch my car fucking rust !

Seshmeister
03-07-2013, 06:05 PM
In that Kevin Smith video I posted he tells how Prince called his PA at 2 am out of the blue demanding that someone deliver a camel to Paisley Park immediately.

If that story was about a young drunk Roth or Ozzy it's really funny.

When it's about a sober religious nut in his 50s who will sack you if you don't manage to explain how it's impossible to his satisfaction suddenly it's not pleasant.

Green Manalishi
03-07-2013, 06:29 PM

That's pretty much it right there . Glaringly ASSHOLE move by the Purple One despite his talent . This move alone has dropped my respect for Prince a few notches . Very un-professional . What a waste of a perfectly sound guitar .

twonabomber
03-16-2013, 05:19 PM
I won't claim this is genius, or virtuosic. But it's fuckin' cool!

Nitro Express
03-16-2013, 06:11 PM
I'll definitely give you that - he's good with marketing. He created a brand that's sort of mysterious.. He shows up every now & then, kills it and goes home. I guess that adds to it. I thought his Super Bowl performance a few years back was one of the better ones in a long time.

It's almost like Disney video marketing. They release it and then keep it off the market for a few years to keep it special and rare. Prince does the same. He pulls out before people go oh shit not Prince again. I'm so tired of this fuck. He will roll out again in a few years with something new but with the elements there that made people like Prince in the beginning.

Coyote
03-16-2013, 08:30 PM
In that Kevin Smith video I posted he tells how Prince called his PA at 2 am out of the blue demanding that someone deliver a camel to Paisley Park immediately.

If that story was about a young drunk Roth or Ozzy it's really funny.

When it's about a sober religious nut in his 50s who will sack you if you don't manage to explain how it's impossible to his satisfaction suddenly it's not pleasant.

I thought it was a giraffe...

Zing!
03-16-2013, 08:52 PM

As in a pack of smokes or the ungulate?

Nitro Express
03-17-2013, 01:18 AM
I somehow feel people who criticize people like Prince would be just as bad if not worse if they found themselves in his shoes. I don't think most people would handle fame or fortune very well. Most people couldn't handle a fast super car if they had one. It's kind of the same deal.