PDA

View Full Version : Nick Drake

Matt White
03-07-2013, 02:56 PM
I've been listening to 'ol Nick lately...never gave him much thought before...good stuff!

DLR Bridge
03-07-2013, 03:00 PM
He was phenomenal. The Pink Moon album is genius.

Zing!
03-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Yes! Love Nick Drake! "Pink Moon" is one of my favorite albums ever. Bryter Layter and Five Leaves Left are great too. Fabulous stuff for when you want to mellooooow oooooout...

binnie
03-07-2013, 03:50 PM
In my last two years at school, one of my best friends got into Nick Drake in a big way. It was his gateway into the whole folk scene, which he is now pretty immersed in.

Strange thing is, even though Drake was the polar opposite of what I loved at the time - you'll all be surprised to learn that it was the most extreme metal I could find :D - I totally got it. The feel of it, the emotional intensity, translated across.

I can say that working in a record shop for the best part of a decade, the coolest cats I met where all Nick Drake fans to a number.......he's like a marker for people who really know music.

DLR Bridge
03-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Read two books on him. His story would make for a great independent movie. Especially the recording of Pink Moon and the manner in which he handed off the master reels to the label.

VHscraps
03-07-2013, 04:11 PM
There is zero footage of Drake, only a few pics. Look out for the documentary 'A Skin Too Few: The Days of Nick Drake', it might be on youtube.

Matt White
03-07-2013, 10:44 PM
And...it is!!!

So sad...Mental Illness SUCKS!!!

katina
03-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the spanish subtitles, I was watching it in english :doh:

VHscraps
03-08-2013, 05:53 AM
There was a tour that went round Britain a couple of years ago under the banner 'The Songs of Nick Drake'. The BBC filmed one of the concerts in London. Here is a interesting take on 'Time Has Told Me' by Krystle Warren - never heard of her before or since, but a helluva voice and a great version of this great tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzkzQ8J_dyg

The whole thing is on youtube ...

VHscraps
03-08-2013, 06:01 AM
Pink Moon (Teddy Thompson and Krystle Warren) from the same show ... audio and video is slightly out of sync

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L3PzTlSDUw

DLR Bridge
03-08-2013, 06:29 AM
Cool stuff Scraps. I usually get a little worried when he's covered by others. I only want his versions in my head.

I would love to hear versions of the songs from the first to albums remixed in the vain of Pink Moon. The string orchestration on both is gorgeous and lush, but also over powering and if Pink Moon didn't prove that less is more sometimes, than nothing can.

Matt White
04-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Been busy figuring out some of his tunes out on geetar.....

I see part of his problem now....a BUNCH of odd tunnings.....he had to retune his guitar after almost every number!!!

Fleshed out "Northern Sky", "Pink Moon", & "Hazy Jane"......LARVE "Rider on the Wheel"

DLR Bridge
04-18-2013, 07:10 PM
All great (grate?) tunes. Try Free Ride. Mean riffed tune from Pink Moon.

Zing!
04-18-2013, 11:14 PM
One of the many things I love about Nick Drake is his bizarre tunings.