PDA

View Full Version : 25 disturbing facts about psych drugs, soldiers and suicides

ELVIS
03-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Mike Adams

Natural News (http://www.naturalnews.com/039473_psychiatric_drugs_soldiers_suicides.html)

We are living in an age of upside-downs, where right is wrong, fiction is truth and war is peace. Those who fight the wars are subjected to their own house of mirrors via pharmaceutical “treatments.” Instead of providing U.S. soldiers and veterans with actual health care, the government throws pills at them and calls it “therapy.”

Stimulants, antidepressants, anti-psychotics, sedatives and pain meds are the new “fuel” for America’s front-line forces. While the idea of sending medicated soldiers into battle was unthinkable just three decades ago, today it’s the status quo. And the cost in human lives has never been more tragic.

Here are 25 disturbing facts about psych drugs, soldiers and suicides. They are disturbing because everybody seems to be pretending there is no link between psychiatric drugs and soldier suicides. So soldiers and veterans keep dying while the Pentagon (and the VA) keep pretending they don’t know why. (Sources are listed at the bottom of this article.)

1) 33% of the U.S. Army is on prescription medications, and nearly a quarter of those are on psychotropic drugs

2) In 2010, the Pentagon spent $280 million on psychiatric drugs. That number has since risen.

3) There are now over 8,000 suicides each year by U.S. soldiers and veterans; that’s over 22 a day

4) 33% of those suicides are attributed to medication side effects

5) That means medications are killing more U.S. soldiers and veterans than Al-Qaeda

6) 500% more soldiers abuse prescription drugs than illegal street drugs

7) Under the Obama administration, the number of veterans waiting for VA care has risen from 11,000 in 2009 to 245,000 today

8) More active duty soldiers die from suicide than from combat: 349 dead last year

9) The number of prescriptions for Ritalin and Adderall written for active-duty soldiers has increased 1,000% in the last five years

10) For every active-duty service member who dies in battle, 25 veterans die by suicide

11) Only 1 percent of Americans have served in the Middle East, but veterans of combat there make up 20% of all suicides in the United States

12) The suicide rate of active-duty soldiers in the Civil War was only 9 – 15 per 100,000 soldiers. The suicide rate of active-duty U.S. soldiers in the Middle East is 23 per 100,000. And casualty rates were far higher in the Civil War, meaning the Civil War was more psychologically traumatic.

13) In the Korean War, the suicide rate among active-duty military soldiers was only 11 per 100,000

14) To date, the Pentagon has spent more than a billion dollars on psychiatric drugs, making it one of the largest customers of Big Pharma

15) In 2010, over 213,000 active-duty military personnel were taking medications considered “high risk” by the Pentagon

16) In the years since the Iraq War began, twice as many soldiers of the Texas Army National Guard have died of suicide than in combat

17) Defense Secretary Leon Panetta calls military suicides an “epidemic”

18) Of all the branches of the military, the Army has the highest number of suicides each year, almost 400% more than the Marines

19) Most active-duty soldiers who take psychiatric medications consume a combination of three to five prescriptions

20) The use of prescription medications by active-duty soldiers is largely unregulated. Soldiers are given a bottle of meds and sent into combat. If they run out of meds, they are given a refill, no questions asked.

21) The mainstream media says the answer to lowering suicides of veterans is to take away their guns so that they cannot shoot themselves. This is the logical equivalent to trying to fix your car’s engine by removing the “check engine” light.

22) The Pentagon is initiating new research (in 2013) to try to figure out why psychiatric medications cause soldiers to commit suicide. The research involves tracking brain activity by attaching electrodes to the skull.

23) One-third of military suicides are committed by soldiers who have never seen combat

24) In the last year, the military wrote over 54,000 prescriptions for Seroquel to soldiers, and all those prescriptions were “off label,” meaning the intended use has never been approved by the FDA as safe or effective.

25) Dr. Bart Billings, a retired Army Colonel and former military psychologist, refers to psychiatric drugs as a “chemical lobotomy” for soldiers.

:elvis:

Nickdfresh
03-14-2013, 11:01 AM
So if they weren't on "drugs" soldiers wouldn't be committing suicide? How many suicides does antidepressants prevent? The suicide rate is higher because of PTSD, which has little to do with drugs of any kind and more to do with the constant deployments and redeployments to combat zones. The high suicide rate and problems caused by PTSD are caused by the fact we've been at perpetual war for over a decade!

ELVIS
03-14-2013, 11:06 AM
How many suicides does antidepressants prevent?

They're called antidepressants, not antisuicidals...

And the answer is ZERO...

Authors retract paper claiming antidepressants prevent suicide
(http://retractionwatch.wordpress.com/2012/03/19/author-retracts-paper-claiming-antidepressants-prevent-suicide/)

The authors of a study allegedly showing that antidepressants prevent suicide have retracted it over unspecified errors. Here’s the notice:

At the request of the authors and in agreement with the Editor-in-Chief and Wiley-Blackwell, the following article “Antidepressant medication prevents suicide in depression”. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2010;122:454–460 has been retracted. The retraction has been requested and agreed due to unintentional errors in the analysis of the data presented.

The original paper linked “data on the toxicological detection of antidepressants in 18 922 suicides in Sweden 1992–2003″ to “registers of psychiatric hospitalization as well as registers with sociodemographic data.” It found:

The probability for the toxicological detection of an antidepressant was lowest in the non-suicide controls, higher in suicides, and even higher in suicides that had been psychiatric in-patients but excluding those who had been in-patients for the treatment of depression.

Its conclusion was a bit convoluted:

The finding that in-patient care for depression did not increase the probability of the detection of antidepressants in suicides is difficult to explain other than by the assumption that a substantial number of depressed individuals were saved from suicide by postdischarge treatment with antidepressant medication.

The paper has been cited just four times, according to Thomson Scientific’s Web of Knowledge. But we understand that other studies by lead author Goran Isacsson are often used by those who support the idea that antidepressants cut down on suicides, and as evidence that the FDA’s “black box warning” on antidepressants should be rewritten. That warning reads, in part:

Antidepressant medicines may increase suicidal thoughts or actions in some children, teenagers, and young adults when the medicine is first started.

Isacsson and a co-author debated the issue with Melissa Raven and a co-author in the June 2010 issue of the British Journal of Psychiatry. At one point, Raven and Jon Jureidini conclude:

In summary, Isacsson & Rich’s premises are flawed and they have overstated their case with selective citation and biased interpretation of evidence.

We’ve contacted Isacsson as well as the editor of Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica to find out what the “unintentional errors” were, and whether any other papers will be affected, and will update with anything we find out.

Update, 11:45 a.m. Eastern, 3/19/12: Isacsson tells us:

We discovered lately that there was a coding error regarding diagnoses in the database we utilized for the 2010 paper. When corrected, antidepressants were detected in depressed suicides as often as could be expected and not less than expected which was the crucial finding in the paper. This means that no conclusion can be drawn from the study regarding antidepressants’ effects on suicide risk in any direction.

Nitro Express
03-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Reading this shit is depressing.

Nickdfresh
03-14-2013, 04:58 PM
....This means that no conclusion can be drawn from the study regarding antidepressants’ effects on suicide risk in any direction.

So basically, you're using the fact that they actually present good science to support your views largely based on bad or even pseudo science?

Nitro Express
03-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Drugs affect each person differently. I have seen Prozac help people and I've seen it make other people wiggy. I think they push it too much. Look at the numbers of people on it or Zoloft and really, are that many people depressed to the level they need anti-depressant drugs? They probably need a good kick in the ass and a hug.

Seshmeister
03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
What is truly disturbing is that anyone could possibly take seriously anything that fucking quack snake oil moron Mike Adams writes about anything.

Nickdfresh
03-14-2013, 06:18 PM
What is truly disturbing is that anyone could possibly take seriously anything that fucking quack snake oil moron Mike Adams writes about anything.

I need to start Googling these retards Elvis cites in his Scientology-esque war on "Big Pharma"...

http://worldofweirdthings.com/2010/01/25/snake-oil-salesman-steals-deepak-chopras-act/

Seshmeister
03-14-2013, 06:55 PM
I need to start Googling these retards Elvis cites in his Scientology-esque war on "Big Pharma"...

http://worldofweirdthings.com/2010/01/25/snake-oil-salesman-steals-deepak-chopras-act/

Yeah this one is a real fucking bozo.

ELVIS has posted a ridiculous article from him before and I pointed this out but of course ELVIS just chooses to ignore pesky stuff like facts and evidence...

ELVIS
03-14-2013, 07:25 PM

Go take some Big Pharma poison...

Angel
03-14-2013, 07:45 PM

Get counselling

ELVIS
03-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Why, it didn't work for you, did it ??

Nitro Express
03-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Get counselling

Get drunk.

Angel
03-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Why, it didn't work for you, did it ??

Actually, yes it did.

Angel
03-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Get drunk.

I never get drunk anymore. I am about to smoke some weed though. Wanna join me?

FORD
03-14-2013, 08:56 PM
I can say from personal experience that the two most effective anti-depressants are 5-HTP and Vitamin D. I wouldn't touch the pharma poisons for any amount of money.

But to say they are the single cause for a soldier/veteran to snap and kill themselves and/or others, that seems like a ridiculous conclusion to jump to, deliberately ignoring any other factors in that person's life. Not the least of which would be having to see shit that nobody should ever have to see, and see it often, in some cases.

Nickdfresh
03-14-2013, 11:46 PM

Go take some bullshit snake oil from a charlatan cunt...

ELVIS
03-15-2013, 12:26 AM
But to say they are the single cause

No one said that...

But there is a problem...

Zing!
03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
I can say from personal experience that the two most effective anti-depressants are 5-HTP and Vitamin D. I wouldn't touch the pharma poisons for any amount of money..

Up here in the Northstar state it pays to up your dosage of D in the winter months. I guarantee it works on depression and I've found it to be just as useful as C for keeping away the various flu and cold bugs that make the rounds.

Angel
03-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Up here in the Northstar state it pays to up your dosage of D in the winter months. I guarantee it works on depression and I've found it to be just as useful as C for keeping away the various flu and cold bugs that make the rounds.

D has made a HUGE difference for me. My levels were extremely low. A deficiency is less than 50 and mine were at 30. Took a few months to get them up to healthy levels, but now those dark circles under my eyes are almost gone.

I suffered from depression for YEARS, and I'm certain the vitamin D had a lot to do with it.

BITEYOASS
03-15-2013, 11:26 AM
I never get drunk anymore. I am about to smoke some weed though. Wanna join me?

Got space weed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT2-tb5s-Pg

hideyoursheep
03-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Many of these guys are getting misdiagnosed during their "drive-thru" evaluations....that are more than likely "back-door" sponsored by companies like Pfizer.

I can't help thinking that there are vets coming home that needed more help than a prescription alone can give them, and they aren't getting it.

At the same time, there might be some that got the wrong prescription, which could actually trigger a worse reaction.

And then there are those who weren't wired right before enlisting....

Too many variables to accurately stamp everything with PTSD.

ELVIS
03-17-2013, 10:34 AM
I can't help thinking that there are vets coming home that needed more help than a prescription alone can give them, and they aren't getting it.

And they're not going to get unless they get lucky and stumble on a VA Physician that actually has time to care...

The Healthcare system is fucked and it's about to get much worse for everyone...

envy_me
03-17-2013, 11:39 AM
I have no idea if anything in this article is true or who the source is, but let's just for the sake of argument say that it is.

Have they looked at other depressed groups of people and compared their suicide rate compared to veterans. Maybe there are other things that are making veterans suicidal more then an average antidep user.

Also about the claim that more veterans die of suicide then in battle; How long is a person in a battle? Like couple of years? Maybe less. While they have their whole life to be veterans. So let's say 4 years (just guessing on the time here) verses 60-70 years of being a veteran.