PDA

View Full Version : Debating on whether or not to get SiriusXM.

BITEYOASS
03-18-2013, 12:53 AM
I just want to get the music subscription after playing all of those genre stations in my new car. Don't really give a shit about the comedy or talk stations. Plus, the local stations here in Montgomery blow donkey dick when it comes to playing rock music. Especially when the only rock station in town is run by the fuckin' program manager, who is a total tool/douchebag.

What's really winning me over to SiriusXM is when the "Hair Nation" station was playing Diamond Dave's "Shy Boy". Fuckin' Awesome!

BITEYOASS
03-18-2013, 01:16 AM
Of course I've also read review about SiriusXM subscriptions being a ripoff and that cancelling a subscription is akin to pulling teeth.

Nitro Express
03-18-2013, 01:28 AM
I love satellite radio. It's all I listen to in the car. It's worth the money if you spend a lot of time in your car.

ashstralia
03-18-2013, 01:39 AM
dunno if this is applicable for you guys... i'll assume it would work. there's an app called 'tune in radio' for your smartphone, you can access thousands of stations through it.

we have a law here where you must use a hands free device while driving, so i play all my music on the iphone through the car stereo anyway.

the only thing is you have to have an active net connection.

Romeo Delight
03-18-2013, 01:59 AM
I find the sonic quality or bandwidth of sat radio to be lacking.

For talk radio it is ok, but if I am listening to music on it I keep thinking about how much better even an mp3 sounds.

If it was 10 bucks a month maybe...

FORD
03-18-2013, 02:44 AM
dunno if this is applicable for you guys... i'll assume it would work. there's an app called 'tune in radio' for your smartphone, you can access thousands of stations through it.

we have a law here where you must use a hands free device while driving, so i play all my music on the iphone through the car stereo anyway.

the only thing is you have to have an active net connection.

Yeah, we have Tune In Radio (http://tunein.com/) here. I don't have a smart phone yet, so I'm listening to it on a regular old computer rather than a mobile device, but it's a great thing to have.

Especially the Progressive Voices channel (http://tunein.com/radio/Progressive-Voices-s189055/).

It's getting easier to connect mobile devices to your vehicles all the time though, and some of the new cars are going to have built in internet radio, and not even bother with the old Am/Fm thing anymore.

As for satellite radio, I've still got my XM and Sirius receivers collecting dust, but I haven't felt the need to subscribe to either one recently. I suspect once you can get net radio in your car (and already in your home, there's not going to be much of a demand for the whole satellite thing.

Nitro Express
03-18-2013, 04:12 AM
I have a smart phone but I find myself taking my older phone a lot of times because it's smaller and lighter. The one thing I don't like about smart phones is they are bulkier and heavier. I rarely use all the shit on them anyways. I'm not really a gizmo person.

Unless you need it now for your job or school it's always beneficial to hold off and wait. The new model or new technology is better. Electronics has to be the most wasteful thing you can spend your money on. The depreciation is a killer. If you can buy it, it's already obsolete.

sadaist
03-18-2013, 04:51 AM
I just want regular radio that does a DVR/Tivo type jump back 6 seconds. - for when I think...what the fuck did they just say?

ELVIS
03-18-2013, 06:47 AM
I just want regular radio that does a DVR/Tivo type jump back 6 seconds. - for when I think...what the fuck did they just say?

My Sony MiniDisc car stereo does that...

twonabomber
03-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Of course I've also read review about SiriusXM subscriptions being a ripoff and that cancelling a subscription is akin to pulling teeth.

Either buy Sirius gift cards or don't set the renewal to automatically hit your credit card. The card I had mine on expired, and didn't auto-renew my sub. No messy phone call needed. I set it back up online, and it had an option for one time only payment instead of auto renew. I did call to cancel my second radio and they didn't put up too much of a fight about it. It was close to 2 am, maybe they have the "I don't give a shit" crew working that late. Still get renewal emails about it though.

I have a sub for the cars (swap the brain between vehicles) and the online sub. Probably listen to it in the house more than I watch TV, or I take the netbook out to the garage and stream it through there.

It's nice while traveling across the state or up into Canada, no more looking for a new station every hour or so.

sadaist
03-18-2013, 01:02 PM
My Sony MiniDisc car stereo does that...

Gonna have to check in to that. Drives me crazy when I hear something and it isn't clear or I only catch a piece and I wish I could rewind 6 seconds.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-18-2013, 01:07 PM
I take a lot of medium-ranged trips, like 150-200 miles, so I love it....

I usually switch between the rock channels and the uncensored comedy channel, and maybe one of the MLB/NFL channels if it's that season as well...

Northern Girl
03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
The music stations left me bored, but I did like the comedy channels.

Not in the car that much, so didn't keep it past the trial period.