PDA

View Full Version : Pick three new songs for the setlist

loucap81
04-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Pick one from each category that you'd like to hear in the setlist, the next time VH tours. While there are tough calls mine would be Light Up The Sky, "Dirty Movies" and Honeybabysweetiedoll. Not that I'd complain if just about any other song on this list found its way into the setlist in the future.

Category I: Six-pack songs that haven't been performed since 1984 or earlier

Feel Your Love Tonight
On Fire
You're No Good
Light Up The Sky
D.O.A.
Fools
Loss Of Control
Take Your Whiskey Home
In A Simple Rhyme
Sinner's Swing!
Sunday Afternoon In The Park
Where Have All The Good Times Gone!
Secrets
Intruder
Dancing In The Street
Happy Trails
House Of Pain

Category II: Six-pack songs that have never been played, ever

Could This Be Magic?
"Dirty Movies"
Push Comes To Shove
One Foot Out The Door
Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)
Top Jimmy
Drop Dead Legs

Category III: ADKOT songs that haven't been played in current form

You And Your Blues
Bullethead
As Is
Honeybabysweetiedoll
Outta Space
Stay Frosty
Big River
Beats Workin'

vandeleur
04-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Light up the sky .... With actual vocals :D
Drop dead legs
Stay frosty ... Instead of ice cream man

DLR Bridge
04-22-2013, 08:53 PM
DOA
Drop Dead Legs
Big River

Or

Sinner's Swing
One Foot Out The Door
Honeybabysweetiedoll

Or....

vandeleur
04-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Actually cat 1 makes a kicking set :D

Matt White
04-22-2013, 09:03 PM
secrets

so this is love?

take your whiskey home

Never was
04-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Sinner's Swing
Drop Dead Legs
Stay Frosty

Fairwrning
04-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Im not sure the meaning of the categories but Ill play along

On Fire ( First VH song I heard live)
Top Jimmy ( itching for a killer " improv" jam )
Outta Space ( See Above)

katina
04-22-2013, 10:10 PM
On Fire
Drop Dead Legs
Honeybabysweetiedoll

minkahed
04-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Outta Space

VAiN
04-23-2013, 12:04 AM
I want to hear new material, so I'm going with 'HBSD', 'As-Is' and 'Outta Space'.. If they want to dump a few more old tunes, please add 'Bullethead' and 'Stay Frosty'.

hambon4lif
04-23-2013, 12:23 AM
BULLETHEAD- ('cause it would sound fucking awesome live)

D.O.A.- ('cause it's a killer fuckin' song I've been wanting to hear them play live since they got back together)

BIG RIVER- ('cause if what Dave says in recent interviews is true about Van Halen audiences breaking beer sales records at the shows, it would make perfect sense to play a badass drinking anthem like this one)

FORD
04-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Light Up The Sky

Drop Dead Legs

Stay Frosty

sadaist
04-23-2013, 02:14 AM
Happy Trails - end the damn show with this guys. Please!

Drop Dead Legs

Stay Frosty

fryingdutchman
04-23-2013, 06:43 AM
House of Pain

In A Simple Rhyme

Sinner's Swing

ThrillsNSpills
04-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Fools, Drop Dead Legs, As Is.

Tough call though since there's many choices that would work.

Simple Rhyme with the unreleased acoustic intro..... Ow Yeah!

Zing!
04-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Happy Trails - end the damn show with this guys. Please!

Drop Dead Legs

Stay Frosty

What he said.

DLR Bridge
04-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Simple Rhyme with the unreleased acoustic intro..... Ow Yeah!

What the what the?? Haven't heard that.

private parts
04-23-2013, 01:45 PM
What the what the?? Haven't heard that.

My thoughts exactly. Acoustic intro that's never been heard?

ThrillsNSpills
04-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Ever been to Paris?

How do you know it exists?

These are the inherant problems with the human ego.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-23-2013, 02:06 PM
I KNOW YOU PUT A LOT INTO THOSE CATEGORIES, SO HERE GOES....

drop dead legs

drop dead legs

and...

drop dead legs

envy_me
04-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Push comes to shove

Drop dead legs

....and I have to think about the third one, there are just too many.

big fatty
04-23-2013, 02:54 PM
I want to hear an unexpected surprise. Like when they added a few extra jams in '07, like Magic Bus and Crossroads. That is live music right there. Unique to the sprecific show at the time.

Or better Yet. As heard on some of the older bootlegs.

Bright Lights Big City, from the 1980 Invasion Tour.

Lucille, from Providence, R.I., 1981

On Fire, with the extra long introduction, from Greensboro, '81

Romeo Delight, with the jam in the middle, like the Albequerque, N.M., version that was posted on the VHND.

Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers, from South America, '83.

You get the idea. Something different than the same usual routine would be a nice treat once in a while.

I think there was also a '78 bootleg where they played Down In Flames. So if they could do another unrecorded original, that would be just awesome.

No idea why Wolfie requested input for the setlist on Twitter for this show. Maybe Japan will get lucky with some more chestnuts not played live in a while.

1- Light Up The Sky
2- As Is
3 - Stay Frosty
4- Can't Get This Stuff No More
5- Me Wise Magic
4- Dirty Movies
6- California Girls
7- Weekend With The Babysitter
8- Sinners Swing
9- ON FIRE
10- I'm The One

Yup, I suppose I went a little overboard. I guess it's probably too much to ask. Oh well, fuck it. That's only a small fraction of what I really want. Heh, heh.

DLR Bridge
04-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Yup, I suppose I went a little overboard. I guess it's probably too much to ask. Oh well, fuck it. That's only a small fraction of what I really want. Heh, heh.

I'm right there with ya. When I hit the lottery, I'm going to commission Dave, Ed, Mike & Al to play this set in my backyard.

Believe Me
Here's Just What Wanted
We All Had A Real Good Time
Show No Mercy (No More Waiting)
One More Time
Chevrolet
Down In Flames
Babe, Don't Leave Me Alone
Gentlemen Of Leisure
Glitter
The Grind
Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers
Woman In Love
The Shape You're In
Light In The Sky
Eyes Of The Night
Walk Away
The Fool And Me
Get The Show On The Road

Encore:

Superstition
Piece Of Mind
Honolulu Baby
Let Me Swim In Your Ocean

PETE'S BROTHER
04-23-2013, 03:15 PM
i always find it ironic that folks will pine for dave solo tunes, yet never wanna hear hagar shite. you can only have both or none.

binnie
04-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Sinners Swing!
Push Comes To Shove
As Is

FORD
04-23-2013, 03:27 PM
I think we can assume that "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" ain't ever gonna happen without Sobolewski on stage. ZZ Top wrote it as a duet, Dave & Mikey performed it that way. I don't see it happening with either Wolf or Ed doing the second vocal.

If Mike ever did rejoin the band though, it should definitely be part of the set list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRmsuowiVsw

Zing!
04-23-2013, 03:28 PM
I'm right there with ya. When I hit the lottery, I'm going to commission Dave, Ed, Mike & Al to play this set in my backyard.

Believe Me
Here's Just What Wanted
One More Time
Chevrolet
Down In Flames
Gentlemen Of Leisure
Glitter
The Grind
Woman In Love
The Shape You're In
Light In The Sky
Eyes Of The Night
Walk Away
The Fool And Me
Get The Show On The Road

Encore:

Superstition
Piece Of Mind
Honolulu Baby

That would kick all kinds of ass, but DLR would need a Teleprompter for that show!

binnie
04-23-2013, 03:29 PM
I think we can assume that "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" ain't ever gonna happen without Sobolewski on stage. ZZ Top wrote it as a duet, Dave & Mikey performed it that way. I don't see it happening with either Wolf or Ed doing the second vocal.

If Mike ever did rejoin the band though, it should definitely be part of the set list.

True. If Dave was going to sing it with Wolf they'd have to re-name it 'Beer Drinkers and Pie Eaters'.

vandeleur
04-23-2013, 03:31 PM
i always find it ironic that folks will pine for dave solo tunes, yet never wanna hear hagar shite. you can only have both or none.

Think it's cos dave's stuff is good and haggards ......... Er isn't :D

big fatty
04-23-2013, 03:31 PM

" I want my cake, and eat it too. I want pink icing, pre-cut paid for and delivered. I think the world owes me a living and I'm here to collect. " :bigwink:

I would not be opposed to hearing Dave make some of that stuff right. Eddie did some great stuff back then. Dave could make it better. :jammin::theband::jamthis:

PETE'S BROTHER
04-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Think it's cos dave's stuff is good and haggards ......... Er isn't :D

agreed, but i can just picture the fight between the two.

dave: "c'mon, let's play "damn good"

eddie: "then we get to do "why can't this be love"

dave: "yeah....no. fuck it"

vandeleur
04-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Nah it will never happen , fuck I bet ed cringes when Wolfe asks WTF were you thinking dad when you wrote this drivel as he makes another ashtray out of the unsold cd's of balance he has in the garage .

big fatty
04-23-2013, 03:38 PM

Believe Me
Here's Just What Wanted
One More Time
Chevrolet
Down In Flames
Gentlemen Of Leisure
Glitter
The Grind
Woman In Love
The Shape You're In
Light In The Sky
Eyes Of The Night
Walk Away
The Fool And Me
Get The Show On The Road

Encore:

Superstition
Piece Of Mind
Honolulu Baby

Yup, if your gonna dream, you might as well dream big. L.O.L. :metalbang::cool1::843:

But you forgot to add Young & Wild. :devildance:

FORD
04-23-2013, 03:39 PM
The only way I'd be remotely interested in hearing Dave singing "Van Hagar" songs would be if he totally re-wrote them and made them his own.

Should be easy enough on the songs from 5150 - as anything musically decent from that album was probably written with Dave in the first place. Can't really think of anything from OuBlowsGoats2 that is worth redeeming. There's a couple songs from "FUCK" that could be rewritten, maybe. One or two on Balance, maybe?

If they did two of those songs and then balanced it out with two of Dave's solo songs, I could deal with that.

binnie
04-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Nah it will never happen , fuck I bet ed cringes when Wolfe asks WTF were you thinking dad when you wrote this drivel as he makes another ashtray out of the unsold cd's of balance he has in the garage .

You don't Ed's proud of wham-bam Amsterdam? :D

DLR Bridge
04-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Yup, if your gonna dream, you might as well dream big. But you forgot to add Young & Wild. :devildance:

Yeah, and a handful of others. This is my idea of a realistic request. :yo:

envy_me
04-23-2013, 04:48 PM
" I want my cake, and eat it too. I want pink icing, pre-cut paid for and delivered. I think the world owes me a living and I'm here to collect. " :bigwink:

I would not be opposed to hearing Dave make some of that stuff right. Eddie did some great stuff back then. Dave could make it better. :jammin::theband::jamthis:

I couldn't stand to hear Dave sing stuff like "How do I know when it's love, it will last forever, feel together" :puke:

Matt White
04-23-2013, 04:53 PM
I couldn't stand to hear Dave sing stuff like "How do I know when it's love, it will last forever, feel together" :puke:

Don't sweat it toots...........somebody has been smoking some KIND bud if they even entertain the thought of DAVID LEE ROTH singing a Van Haggis song....just ain't gonna happen in this lifetime

Zing!
04-23-2013, 04:59 PM

One of the unsolvable mysteries of the universe: Haggar was allowed to perform One Way To Rock, Eagles Fly (and others? Not sure.) live under the Van Halen name, but we will never hear a DLR solo tune given such treatment. Verily, The Lord works in mysterious ways.

DLR Bridge
04-23-2013, 05:04 PM
You don't think Ed's proud of wham-bam Amsterdam? :D

I remember when Ed voiced his displeasure with the lyrics. Possibly the official beginning of the end of the Van Hagar years. That's actually a great riff that deserved a much better fate along with a good handful of other tunes from those 4 albums.

envy_me
04-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Don't sweat it toots...........somebody has been smoking some KIND bud if they even entertain the thought of DAVID LEE ROTH singing a Van Haggis song....just ain't gonna happen in this lifetime

Yeah, big fatty is definitely on some sort of substance tonight. First this, then promoting Nugent in another thread...
Stick to drugs with positive effects, dude.

Jesus Christ
04-23-2013, 05:05 PM
One of the unsolvable mysteries of the universe: Haggar was allowed to perform One Way To Rock, Eagles Fly (and others? Not sure.) live under the Van Halen name, but we will never hear a DLR solo tune given such treatment. Verily, The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Hey, leave Me out of this! I had nothing to do with it! :jesuslol:

DLR Bridge
04-23-2013, 05:08 PM
I remember when Ed voiced his displeasure with the lyrics. Possibly the official beginning of the end of the Van Hagar years. That's actually a great riff that deserved a much better fate along with a good handful of other tunes from those 4 albums.

I wonder if Dave ever approached Ed with the notion of sliding a solo song in there. Maybe he thinks it's not worth bothering with since there is such a large body of CVH to work with (that they are hopefully relearning based on reading this thread).

Meant to respond to Zing. Not myself. Doh.

Zing!
04-23-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm sure there were a dozen lawyers in a hot tub filled with money that hashed that out for them. Ed's people called Dave's people and said they'd reached a $250,000 solution:

No solo songs.

vaijuju
04-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Cool poll, Lou ! what's about MWS and CGTSNM ? you'd could add them ..

IceCreamBlondie
04-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Here's my three: (with 2 from ADKOT)

1. Stay Frosty: Ditch the time worn Ice Cream Man and the dog video backdrop and put in Stay Frosty and tell us cool stories from back in the day. It would bring the house down!

2. In a Simple Rhyme: Great Harmonies, enough said.

3. As Is: I would love to see Al and Ed peel the paint off the walls with this tune Live.

-----Honorable Mention from Left field: Could this be Magic? I love this old timey tune..... and would love to see Dave sing it live.

Jérôme Frenchise
04-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Take Your Whiskey Home
In A Simple Rhyme
Drop Dead Legs
As Is
Stay Frosty
Beats Workin'

(but I crave for Me Wise Magic too)

Jérôme Frenchise
04-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Damn, I didn't respect the 3-song requirement, here goes again:

1) Take Your Whiskey Home
2) Drop Dead Legs
3) As Is

As Is is a big challenge for Dave especially (the Van Halens rehearsing it last year were awesome), because of the high-speed lyrics.
The same with Stay Frosty, which is lyrically dense as well - not sure they could match the fantastic studio version on stage...

Zing!
04-26-2013, 11:54 AM
1. Stay Frosty: Ditch the time worn Ice Cream Man and the dog video backdrop and put in Stay Frosty and tell us cool stories..,

Would LOVE Dave to start into his Ice Cream Man bit playing the acoustic intro and then have the Van Halens pull the old switcheroo and bust into Stay Frosty, and then segue back into ICM so we're all satisfied.

saint
04-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Drop Dead legs, prob 1 of my favs
You And Your Blues, something new
Secrets, nice and mellow, super groovy

BillikenJohnson
04-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Category I: Six-pack songs that haven't been performed since 1984 or earlier

Take Your Whiskey Home

Category II: Six-pack songs that have never been played, ever

Could This Be Magic?

Category III: ADKOT songs that haven't been played in current form

Stay Frosty
:band:

envy_me
04-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Do you guys think that Dave is able to sing Loss Of Control these days?

ThrillsNSpills
04-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Do you guys think that Dave is able to sing Loss Of Control these days?

I think the high part is Mike so on that basis I'd say yes.

envy_me
04-28-2013, 02:04 PM
I think the high part is Mike so on that basis I'd say yes.

That's not good since Mike isn't in the band anymore.

ThrillsNSpills
04-28-2013, 03:37 PM

Yeah, but there's always this:

DLR Bridge
04-28-2013, 03:53 PM

Even though Mike sings in a notably high register, the high backing vocal in Loss Of Control is a comic falsetto most anyone can do. I'd say big W could pull it off, but not without laughing at himself as he goes.

loucap81
04-28-2013, 08:59 PM
I actually forgot about MWM and CGTSNM. They'd be in the second category.

Would be amazing to hear either of those songs live. Some people hate on them for being too Hagar-ish but I couldn't disagree more...sounded like the magic between Ed and Dave never went anywhere between 1984 and 1996.

ELVIS
04-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Those songs have a much better overall sound than ADKOT...

FORD
04-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Maybe VH should cover one of Elvis' songs on this tour?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap8HohMexUE

IceCreamBlondie
04-30-2013, 01:57 AM
Would LOVE Dave to start into his Ice Cream Man bit playing the acoustic intro and then have the Van Halens pull the old switcheroo and bust into Stay Frosty, and then segue back into ICM so we're all satisfied.

Hey, that's a great idea! Is someone at the VH camp listening?

ELVIS
04-30-2013, 05:28 AM
Yeah right...

Zing!
04-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Elvis disagrees, so it must be a great idea...

ELVIS
04-30-2013, 09:29 AM
can you even read ??

fraroc
04-30-2013, 06:14 PM
I really think that they should consider circulating songs on some dates like they did on the American leg of the ADKOT tour, THAT was a VERY good idea on Eddie's part and It gave a sense of fan-friendliness that I feel that VH has been lacking from 2004-2011.

I would love to see them do Little Dreamer again, It seems like Dave could really pull that one off live, especially on the verses. Hell, I wouldn't mind if he sang it sitting on a barstool in the middle of the stage. I would also love to see them attempt to do Me Wise Magic because that was pretty much THE song that introduced me to Van Halen when I was a little boy. Those soaring harmonies (DO YOU BELIEVEEEEEEE) just bring back so many memories of cloudy summer days hanging outside....Hell, sometimes I even get a bit teary-eyed when I listen to that song because it's so fucking good and it brings back so many memories.

ELVIS
04-30-2013, 08:00 PM
I just hope they get their sea legs and kick some ass...

Enough of this fucking around...

:elvis:

fraroc
05-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I just hope they get their sea legs and kick some ass...

Like they did Down Under a few weeks ago?

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/2/2d/Trollface_HD.png/618px-Trollface_HD.png

DLR Bridge
05-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Maybe VH should cover one of Elvis' songs on this tour?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap8HohMexUE

Wow. Ed shifted gears at the wrong time a few times. Dave even shot a few glances like 'not yet dummy!' There's a better version on the South American Assault boot which I'm guessing is a show that followed this one.

WARF
05-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Three songs I would love to see on the set list....

1) Drop Dead Legs
2) Secrets
3) Dirty Movies

Replace
1) Jump
2) Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
3) Any other overplayed song

DLR Bridge
05-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Here it is. This one rips...

http://youtu.be/r3QUkku-Esk

WARF
05-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Holy Shit, Heartbreak Hotel... I totally forgot about that cover!

loucap81
05-01-2013, 09:41 PM
I kinda think Dave just improvised and decided to start singing that song. I just can't imagine the printed setlist actually said "Heartbreak Hotel" on it. This is why the 1983 South American shows will always be my favorite of any of VH's touring eras.

fryingdutchman
05-03-2013, 06:24 AM
Here it is. This one rips...

http://youtu.be/r3QUkku-Esk

Loved Ed's tone on that.

What was he playing? It just doesn't sound like Frankie or one of this other regulars...although the audio quality may play into that a bit.