PDA

View Full Version : New Deep Purple album

Mr. Vengeance
05-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Well..just picked up the new album, "Now What?" and the title is kind of apt...the album as a whole leaves you wondering from track to track, "Now what the fuck is THIS?" And that's not to say this is a bad album. It's listenable. It likely is one of those albums that grows on you. But wow....weird. Don Airey is all over the board with the keyboards. At times they sound as if they're becoming a mix of Styx and Emerson Lake and Palmer. Airey is so loud that Steve Morse is buried in the mix. I know that a lot of the Purple sound was John Lord (who the album is dedicated to) but this is pretty over the top. Several songs have long, elaborate Airey intros.

Anyway...like I say, it's listenable. They're pros.

Here's one clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxPhHRDJ4TM

ELVIS
05-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Sounds like Tom Petty with someone else singing...

Satan
05-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Sounds like Tom Petty with someone else singing...

Unholy shit, it really does! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

chefcraig
05-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Weird, talk about a time warp. Release this sometime in the early days of MTV along with a cheesy car chase video, and it would be yet another Golden Earring tune. Not that it would be a bad thing.

Cato
05-02-2013, 07:12 PM
wow. boring as hell! someone tell them to step down ASAP!

Hardrock69
05-02-2013, 07:52 PM
They are becoming a bunch of old slow fuckers.

That rocks about as much as a deflated helium balloon. :mad:

ELVIS
05-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Wow...

Look at this teaser...:biggrin:

Hardrock69
05-02-2013, 08:02 PM
I will say this: At least Steve Morse found a band to play with that are on his level. Worked out great for him.....he's the longest serving guitarist in that band now...damn that sounded like yes from the 90125-era.

ELVIS
05-02-2013, 08:03 PM
It's really not too bad...

I'm glad you can't really hear Steve Morse...

Mr. Vengeance
05-02-2013, 08:05 PM
I will say this- the album is not just paint by the numbers Purple. I'm on my second listen...we'll see if it's an album that grows on you.

Mr. Vengeance
05-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Something a little more uptempo. Not the worst thing I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sAe7XW9WGE

Satan
05-02-2013, 08:24 PM
...damn that sounded like yes from the 90125-era.

Yeah it did. Maybe their whole purpose on this album was to sound like every other band of 60 somethings EXCEPT Deep Purple?

ELVIS
05-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Something a little more uptempo. Not the worst thing I've ever heard.

He sounds like an 80 year old Bugs Bunny on parts of that song...:biggrin:

Not bad though...

Jérôme Frenchise
05-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Damn... This has nothing to do with DP...

They'd hit that bottom already with the "Bananas" album - I remember one of my best pals who plays bass in my band
had me listen to "Bananas" during a house party at my home years ago, and he would go nuts because of my skipping
tracks after less than 10 seconds saying "baah". Two weeks later he told me I'd been right, the record sucked - and he's
a HUGE Purple fan, saw them somthing like 20 times, digs Steve Morse too, interviewed them like 3 or 4 times, even got
them play "Mary Long" for him in Zurich... Morse seems to be the coolest guy you can meet in rock industry btw.

I saw them in Nyons near Geneva, right on the lakeside in 2010. Jon Lord wasn't there anymore, but the other keyboardist
kicked ass with Steve Morse. Ian Gillan was in a bad shape, he struggled hard to reach the high notes and would sometimes
sing bits like an old grandma. But we would sing the tunes ourselves. Roger Glover (above all) and Ian Paice really delivered.

My fave Deep Purple albums are the classics, "In Rock", "Fireball", "Machine Head", "Made in Japan" and "Who do we think we are".

I really discovered them when I was 1' with "Perfect Strangers" (1984) which I still listen and I still think it kicks ass -
even "House of Blue Light" (1986), which is less of a success, has its moments, and still makes it, unlike what they've been releasing
ver the past two decades.

Jérôme Frenchise
05-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Too bad I didn't find any other song, but this one will do. :)

ELVIS
05-03-2013, 07:16 AM
I always thought Steve Morse was a bad fit for Deep Purple...

He's a yawn fest...

He'd probably be a good teacher...

:elvis:

Jérôme Frenchise
05-03-2013, 08:27 AM
You're a bit severe here ELVIS...

His solo efforts are quite worth it IMO.

Jack68
05-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Did Jeff Lynne produce this by also Wilburizing Ian Paices drum sound?I see what you mean E.

Anonymous
05-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Mr. Vengeance nailed it. It's perfectly listenable.

They're pros goin' through the motions, makin' music without inspiration.

It'll always sound good enough to listen to, but... yeah.

Cheers! :bottle:

Green Manalishi
05-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Deep Purple without Blackmore is pointless . Deep Purple without Blackmore and Jon Lord is like a lion without the fangs and claws . Large , noisy , and....harmless .
I saw classic Deep Purple in '85 and '87 . They kicked almighty ass . A true hard rock behemoth .
Saw them about 10 years ago with Don Airey and Steve Morse headlining a show with Scorpions and DIO . Not even comparable, not to mention Scorpions and ( especially ) DIO kicked their asses .

ELVIS
05-03-2013, 04:43 PM
And they've been the same ever since...

binnie
05-03-2013, 05:49 PM
At least they're not doing it by the motions - they're trying to be creative.

But, yes, this sounds like what it is: a bunch of guys in their 60s trying to rock. Enjoy it for what it is, not what it can't be.....

ELVIS
05-03-2013, 11:12 PM
I kinda like it...

I bought their other new album a few years ago and it sounds a little less like the traveling Wilburys but overall the same...

78/84 guy
05-04-2013, 05:27 PM
You're a bit severe here ELVIS...

His solo efforts are quite worth it IMO.

Yep love his solo stuff. He doesn't fit in this band though. He can play the old stuff good, ( I went to see them once about 10 years ago they were awesome) but what he brings isn't the Purple sound. Bolin was more like Blackmore, and as much as I like Come Taste The Band it should have been the first Whitesnake album. These guy's should go away like Skynyrd.

Terry
05-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Damn... This has nothing to do with DP...

They'd hit that bottom already with the "Bananas" album - I remember one of my best pals who plays bass in my band
had me listen to "Bananas" during a house party at my home years ago, and he would go nuts because of my skipping
tracks after less than 10 seconds saying "baah". Two weeks later he told me I'd been right, the record sucked - and he's
a HUGE Purple fan, saw them somthing like 20 times, digs Steve Morse too, interviewed them like 3 or 4 times, even got
them play "Mary Long" for him in Zurich... Morse seems to be the coolest guy you can meet in rock industry btw.

I saw them in Nyons near Geneva, right on the lakeside in 2010. Jon Lord wasn't there anymore, but the other keyboardist
kicked ass with Steve Morse. Ian Gillan was in a bad shape, he struggled hard to reach the high notes and would sometimes
sing bits like an old grandma. But we would sing the tunes ourselves. Roger Glover (above all) and Ian Paice really delivered.

My fave Deep Purple albums are the classics, "In Rock", "Fireball", "Machine Head", "Made in Japan" and "Who do we think we are".

I really discovered them when I was 1' with "Perfect Strangers" (1984) which I still listen and I still think it kicks ass -
even "House of Blue Light" (1986), which is less of a success, has its moments, and still makes it, unlike what they've been releasing
ver the past two decades.

I'd have to agree, overall.

Really, the only stuff they made worth a damn were the MK2 lineup recordings with Gillan in the 1970s, the first MK3 lineup album Burn, and the first two MK2 1980s reunion albums. And when I say "worth a damn" I'm saying that along the lines of that stuff being among my personal favorites of ANY rock band of ANY era (although maybe to a slightly lesser extent regarding House Of Blue Light).

Even the last MK2 lineup album with, Gillan, The Battle Rages On, was nothing to write home about, and Gillan's voice has been pretty much shot for years. I honestly can't remember the last time the band even toured the States.

Jérôme Frenchise
05-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks, Terry! I agree with you about "The Battle Rages on", that was disappointing from their part.
I must listen to "Burn", which I've always let aside because it wasn't recorded by "Make II", and then maybe to "Come taste the band", just out of curiosity because some will be positive about Tommy Bolin's short time in DP.

Here's another tune from the gig I attended near Geneva in June 2010. Old stuff sounded pretty good, but man how boring the recent tunes were...

"Highway Star"

Matt White
05-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Listening to MADE IN JAPAN this morning..........they were ON FIRE

Jérôme Frenchise
05-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Listening to MADE IN JAPAN this morning..........they were ON FIRE

I agree, Matt: last time I listened to it they were on fire too! :biggrin:

binnie
05-05-2013, 11:07 AM
I'd have to agree, overall.

Really, the only stuff they made worth a damn were the MK2 lineup recordings with Gillan in the 1970s, the first MK3 lineup album Burn, and the first two MK2 1980s reunion albums. And when I say "worth a damn" I'm saying that along the lines of that stuff being among my personal favorites of ANY rock band of ANY era (although maybe to a slightly lesser extent regarding House Of Blue Light).

Even the last MK2 lineup album with, Gillan, The Battle Rages On, was nothing to write home about, and Gillan's voice has been pretty much shot for years. I honestly can't remember the last time the band even toured the States.

I'd agree with most of this, but I think that 'Come Taste The Band' is a very, very good record. Not the fire 'n' brimstone rock of before, but still very worthwhile.

sonrisa salvaje
05-05-2013, 08:05 PM
I kinda like it...

I bought their other new album a few years ago and it sounds a little less like the traveling Wilburys but overall the same...

Rapture of the Deep? I think that was what it was called. I bought some kind of 2 disc set of that and wasn't impressed. There was one tune i was into that was slow and haunting but i can't remember the name.

Terry
05-05-2013, 09:06 PM
I'd agree with most of this, but I think that 'Come Taste The Band' is a very, very good record. Not the fire 'n' brimstone rock of before, but still very worthwhile.

Come Taste The Band really is quite a good record. Solid 70s rock. Not exceptional, but good.

The problem I have with it is, to me, by this point it was really Deep Purple in name only. Judged strictly on the merits of the music and the tunes, CTTB is fine for what it is. However, it doesn't stack up to DP MK2...or even the first MK3 Burn album. I would say I'd be more likely to listen to CTTB than Stormbringer. CTTB was really where Hughes, Coverdale and Bolin determined the artistic direction of the band, but for me the spirit and elements I liked best about Purple seemed to follow Blackmore over to Rainbow in 1975.

Matt White
05-05-2013, 09:33 PM
I agree, Matt: last time I listened to it they were on fire too! :biggrin:

Have to say Jerry.....DP is highly under-rated in the States.......

I really think MADE IN JAPAN is a missing link between the 60's guitar Trinity & EVH and Rhoads.........

BLACKMORE influenced modern guitar playing far more than he's given credit for....at least on this side of the pond

lesfunk
05-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Of the last three post Blackmore albums, this is the best. if you listen there are a lot of clever bits that come out at you. I notice that Morse tends to start his solos with a Blackmore sounding lick then follows it with a Morse sounding lick. Don Airey tears it up on this album.

Nigel
06-04-2013, 05:38 PM
I will say this- the album is not just paint by the numbers Purple. I'm on my second listen...we'll see if it's an album that grows on you.

Stick with it Mr.Vengeance;these guys are solid and the songs grow on you. It's not Blackmore's band anymore, but Steve
has given them the will to live!

Hardrock69
06-04-2013, 09:46 PM
This is a great performance overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2PbzGbQlQA