PDA

View Full Version : slayer guitarist dies

PETE'S BROTHER
05-02-2013, 06:42 PM
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1560534/slayer-guitarist-jeff-hanneman-dead-at-49

ELVIS
05-02-2013, 06:44 PM
That's fucked up...

http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/promo_650/public/media/jeff-hanneman-obit-650-430.jpg

:(

Satan
05-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Oh.... so that's what all that noise was coming from the waiting room. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

ELVIS
05-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Slayer guitarist and founding member Jeff Hanneman died earlier today of liver failure. He was 49.

"Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home," the band's longtime publicist said in a statement. "Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure."

Hanneman co-founded the thrash metal greats with Kerry King in 1981; their breakthrough came in 1986 with the brutalist album "Reign in Blood." Hanneman wrote or co-wrote the set's standout tracks, "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood."

PETE'S BROTHER
05-02-2013, 06:45 PM
have fun down there

PETE'S BROTHER
05-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Oh.... so that's what all that noise was coming from the waiting room. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

will you send us sound clips of him and dimebag rippin' it up?

ELVIS
05-02-2013, 06:52 PM
:rockit:

SNIPER
05-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Fuck! Now they will never have a good album.

ELVIS
05-02-2013, 07:00 PM
http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2013/05/hanneman.jpg

:elvis:

ELVIS
05-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Yesterday, thrash metal gods Slayer posted an open letter to fans regarding the ill health of guitarist Jeff Hanneman, who suffered a spider bite last year that eventually left him in a medically induced coma, from which he was slowly recovering. Sadly, today, Hanneman passed away at age 49 of liver failure. The band’s publicist issued the following statement:

Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. He was 49. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

It’s no exaggeration to say that Slayer are one of the most important bands in the history of metal if not American rock music, period. They were also one of the few metal bands to remain vital well into middle age. The loss of Hanneman is a significant one. Just terrible, sad news. RIP.

:elvis:

Hardrock69
05-02-2013, 07:24 PM
I can't believe it. This is so....I dunno...sad day. :(

katina
05-02-2013, 11:32 PM

R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman :(

Hell Awaits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7S6skPZU7Y

sadaist
05-02-2013, 11:42 PM
I can't believe it. This is so....I dunno...sad day. :(

Saw this while at work & wanted to get here as soon as I could to commiserate with my friends & fellow fans.

Rest in peace Jeff. Can't thank you enough for the songs. Most aggressive music I've ever heard & was perfect when I was in a pissed mood or wanted to kick someones ass.

One great memory I have of Jeff was back in the 80's when they opened for Judas Priest. A time when Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc fans in high school were all about looking the part. Yet I would still wear my beach clothes & surf t-shirts. Jeff was wearing a long sleeve Local Motion surf shop t-shirt on stage. HAHA! Validation!! If the heaviest MoFo of all time can wear it then so can I. I remember it to this day. Will never forget.

See you south of heaven bro! I'll bring some ice cold Heineken's for ya!!

(still my all time favorite T-shirt logo)

http://easternlines.com/media/wysiwyg/Logos/Logo_2.jpg

WARF
05-02-2013, 11:42 PM
R.I.P. Jeff Henneman

I shall play slayer all night in your honor! :(

sadaist
05-02-2013, 11:46 PM
R.I.P. Jeff Henneman

I shall play slayer all night in your honor! :(

FUCK YEAH!

SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!

binnie
05-03-2013, 04:12 AM
I was genuinely upset when I heard about this.

RIP Jeff. 49 is way too young to go.

Seshmeister
05-03-2013, 04:34 AM
It's like something from House

In a fall 2011 interview with U.K.'s Classic Rock magazine, Hanneman said that was kicking back in a hot tub with a couple of beers when noticed a spider bite him on the arm.

"Didn't even feel it," he said. "But an hour later, I knew that I was ill." On his way to the hospital, "I could see the flesh corrupting," he recalled. "The arm was real hot. I got to the emergency room, and thank god the nurse knew straight away what it was. By chance, although it's pretty rare, she had seen a case a little while before. At that point, I was an hour away from death."

Although the spider bite itself was not serious, it had caused bacterial infection in the deeper layers of the skin and tissues of the arm.

"Unbelievably, the doctor was a Slayer fan," said Hanneman, "First thing he said to me was: "First I am going to save your life. Then I am going to save your arm. Then I am going to save your career.'"

Hanneman underwent emergency surgery to remove the dead and dying tissue. The doctor was able to save the muscles and the tendons, but the guitarist had a large open wound on his arm. He spent the next two months in hospital, having extensive skin grafts and heavy doses of antibiotics to suppress the infection.

"I had to learn to walk again," Hanneman said: "I hadn't stood up for a month, apart from anything else. The skin grafts were very painful and all the muscles and tendons in the arm where very weak. That was OK, though. I count myself lucky that the nurse and doctor knew right away what had happened to me, because things could have been a whole lot worse."

Seshmeister
05-03-2013, 04:45 AM

Seshmeister
05-03-2013, 04:48 AM
Yuk...

philouze
05-03-2013, 04:49 AM
Thanks Sesh.. Now I'm hungry..

Seshmeister
05-03-2013, 05:05 AM
When you read more (unlike most of the journalists today) although it's widely reported as being caused by a spider bite it probably wasn't.

The Brown Recluse doesn't live in California, hardly ever bites and if it does usually you don't get the flesh eating bug.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse_spider

Probably he was misdiagnosed and the necrosis came from something else.

Either way he's been really really unlucky.

flappo
05-03-2013, 05:11 AM
i guess he thought he had a chance at being spiderman

Jérôme Frenchise
05-03-2013, 05:20 AM
He and Slayer came with something kickass and new, pioneers unlike most bands who are more or less followers.

I listened to Seasons in the Abyss three weeks ago, for the first time in seven years, a coincidence.

R.I.P.

;(

philouze
05-03-2013, 05:29 AM
I listened to Seasons in the Abyss three weeks ago, for the first time in seven years, a coincidence.

Great record. Probably my favorite of theirs. I'm not a Slayer fan, but you HAVE to admit they were the Kings of Thrash. And I sincerely don't know if they are gonna go on without him.

Diamondjimi
05-03-2013, 07:19 AM
What a shame. Jeff was the riff master of the group.
A total loss for Metal. He was probably drinking himself into oblivion in his down time.
That might explain King's lack of interest on discussing Jeff's return to the band , in recent interviews...

R.I.P.

ELVIS
05-03-2013, 08:17 AM

That's the understatement of a lifetime...

ELVIS
05-03-2013, 08:20 AM
That's fucked up...

http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/promo_650/public/media/jeff-hanneman-obit-650-430.jpg

Hmmm...

His left arm is covered and it looks like a dialysis graft or some sort of IV port in his right arm...

I'll bet there's some pain in those riffs...

RIP

WARF
05-03-2013, 08:30 AM
FUCK YEAH!

SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is horrific news!

How many of you people in 1986 had a copy of "Reign In Blood" and "Master of Puppets"?

It's what got me started into listening to Metal....

What a sad loss.... and over a fucking spider bite nonetheless....

sadaist
05-03-2013, 12:06 PM
This is horrific news!

How many of you people in 1986 had a copy of "Reign In Blood" and "Master of Puppets"?

Yep. The main 4 rotation for HEAVY was

Reign In Blood
Master Of Puppets
Peace Sells...
Among The Living

Wow! What a great time to be that perfect high school age and have those tapes blasting every morning before school.

binnie
05-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Been cranking Slayer all day - the memories that go with the music is just overwhelming. And Jeff is not only an underrated songwriter/riff writer, he was the main creative force in one of the most important metal bands of all time (easily top 5, right?)

Slayer should call it a day now, I think. It would be hard to watch a wounded version continue - a bit like watching a shot former ATG fighter continue well passed his prime......

Green Manalishi
05-03-2013, 04:14 PM
SLAYER kicked a gargantuan amount of ass . Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King were truly under-rated as a guitar duo outside of Metal . I appreciate the straight up fact that they were/are admittedly HUGE Judas Priest fans and were directly inspired by Glen Tipton and K.K. Downing . The only cover they ever recorded was the early Priest classic " Dissident Aggressor " ...and a mighty fine job they did !
I first saw SLAYER with Overkill in a small roller rink called Skate Palace in '86 or '87 on the Reign In Blood tour . It was fucking fierce !
R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman - Thanx for the sonic waves.

binnie
05-03-2013, 06:21 PM
What a riff!

FORD
05-04-2013, 01:49 AM
Hmmm...

His left arm is covered and it looks like a dialysis graft or some sort of IV port in his right arm...

I'll bet there's some pain in those riffs...

RIP

What's up with his arm there is that the spider bite left him with a bad case of flesh eating bacteria, and he apparently had to go through several surgeries as a result. He actually was in danger of losing the arm at one point.

It may have cost him more than an arm though. Toxic shock syndrome is often a by-product of flesh eating bacteria, and that in turn might have been what killed his liver.

Obviously when a rock star drops dead of liver disease, the easy guess is that it was drugs & alcohol that did it. But in this case it might well have been the end result of the spider incident.

Makes me feel a little less guilty about killing two of the little 8 legged bastards today. Fuckers are everywhere around here. Probably not the lethal kind, but when I'm finding bug bites on myself, they need to die anyway.

Nitro Express
05-04-2013, 02:02 AM
I got bit by a hobo spider. I used an old family remedy on the bite and it worked. You get a good grade of cigarette tobacco. I used Camels. You get the tobacco wet and soggy and apply it to the bite area and hold it on with a Band Aid or tape. Leave it on overnight. In the morning it will look like a big zit. The tobacco pulls the venom to a head. You lance it with a needle and squeeze all the junk out until it bleeds. Let it bleed to flush it out. Then I used a product called Iodex. It's iodine suspended in a petroleum jelly base. Plain iodine may work. Leave that on for a day. Then alternate the tobacco and iodine each day. It takes awhile but the bite will heal up and mine didn't leave a scar.

Watch for the infection spreading. If it is, you better have a doctor look at it. I know someone else who got bit by a hobo spider and what the doctor used didn't work and they had to keep trying different things. She ended up paying over $1,000 to have it treated. A pack of camels is about $5 and a bottle of Iodex is $15.

This also works on bee stings and other insect bites.

Nitro Express
05-04-2013, 02:08 AM
I was re-stacking firewood and it was full of brown recluses. If you see a brown spider with a fiddle shaped marking on it's back, it's a recluse. The bite is nasty.

I can remember sleeping at my mom's aunt's house in Arizona. She didn't have air conditioning so at night all the windows and doors were open. I'm sleeping on the living room couch and I could hear something hitting the screen door. I went to see what it was and the porch light was on and it attracted all sorts of bugs. On the porch were a bunch of tarantulas and they were jumping up to snag the bugs on the screen door and hitting it and making the noise. Man. I couldn't sleep after seeing what was out there. After that I was looking everywhere for those damn tarantulas. I didn't know those bastards could jump.

FORD
05-04-2013, 02:29 AM
I got bit by a hobo spider. I used an old family remedy on the bite and it worked. You get a good grade of cigarette tobacco. I used Camels. You get the tobacco wet and soggy and apply it to the bite area and hold it on with a Band Aid or tape. Leave it on overnight. In the morning it will look like a big zit. The tobacco pulls the venom to a head. You lance it with a needle and squeeze all the junk out until it bleeds. Let it bleed to flush it out. Then I used a product called Iodex. It's iodine suspended in a petroleum jelly base. Plain iodine may work. Leave that on for a day. Then alternate the tobacco and iodine each day. It takes awhile but the bite will heal up and mine didn't leave a scar.

Watch for the infection spreading. If it is, you better have a doctor look at it. I know someone else who got bit by a hobo spider and what the doctor used didn't work and they had to keep trying different things. She ended up paying over $1,000 to have it treated. A pack of camels is about $5 and a bottle of Iodex is $15.

This also works on bee stings and other insect bites.

I have heard of this, and though I've never smoked the shit, I probably still have some tobacco around here along with some other herbals used in Native American ceremonies.

My only hesitancy about putting tobacco on an open wound would be all the toxic/radioactive shit that they spray the plants with as their growing (which are probably causing more lung cancer in the tobacco addicts than the burning leaves themselves are) Definitely would try to track down some organic tobacco if I were going to use it for that purpose.

It's probably also not a coincidence that nicotine is used as an insecticide.

Matt White
05-04-2013, 04:54 PM
RIP Jeff

"Liver failure" at 49?!? Sounds like decades of alcohol abuse to me............sad non the less

sadaist
05-05-2013, 11:05 PM
This is a really neat little interview with Jeff. A few creepy parts about death & how long the band will continue. But you can tell this guy is really just a fun normal guy who would be drinking beers at the weekly kitchen table poker game with buddies. Sad.

ELVIS
05-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Seems like a funny normal guy...:(

Seshmeister
05-06-2013, 10:16 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/428448_10151609746255560_1994443622_n.jpg

binnie
05-06-2013, 11:31 AM
I really, really hope they don't picket his funeral.

Scum.

jhale667
05-06-2013, 11:33 AM
I really, really hope they don't picket his funeral.

Scum.

You KNOW they're going to..

sadaist
05-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Seems like a funny normal guy...:(

Totally. This is really the first time I have seen any type of interview with him. He always looked scary & tough in photos but that was just part of the Slayer act. Seems like a nice guy and what a crummy way to go. I do know he wrote some of the most awesome heavy riffs of all time. I never really liked Slayer solos but the rhythm was unreal.

Green Manalishi
05-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Let the Slaying begin . Those fuckers are not true Christians by any definition . They are a twisted hate group sadly cloaking themselves in Christianity . I knew something was really wrong with these cretins when they started picketing military funerals .

PETE'S BROTHER
05-06-2013, 05:46 PM

:thumb:

Hardrock69
05-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Hell we have had way too many discussions about how the WBC are not Christians and what assholes they are.

I will pass this time.

ELVIS
05-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Those fuckers are not true Christians by any definition .

Some of the 'tards around here don't understand that...

Satan
05-07-2013, 02:07 AM
*I'm* more of a Christian than any member of the Phelps KKKult.http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

Seshmeister
05-07-2013, 01:04 PM

Angel
05-07-2013, 03:48 PM
*I'm* more of a Christian than any member of the Phelps KKKult.http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

Hell, Sesh is more Christian than them!

jhale667
05-07-2013, 07:27 PM
When you read more (unlike most of the journalists today) although it's widely reported as being caused by a spider bite it probably wasn't.

The Brown Recluse doesn't live in California, hardly ever bites and if it does usually you don't get the flesh eating bug.

They're not indigenous, but they are here in rare cases... a former co-worker's wife lost a fingertip to one.

I'd never seen an interview with him before, but seems like he was a really cool dude. Never was a huge Slayer fan, but you can't say they didn't help define a genre... totally sucks. R.I.P.

jhale667
05-07-2013, 07:34 PM
His peers paying tribute...

ELVIS
05-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Never was a huge Slayer fan

Sucks to be you...

jhale667
05-07-2013, 09:14 PM
:rolleyes: Whatever, dude.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb4kw9OAun1qlu8tno1_500.png

ELVIS
05-08-2013, 09:11 AM
let's try to convert jfail...

:rockit:

ELVIS
05-08-2013, 09:15 AM
:killer:

jhale667
05-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Love how I come in here and say something nice about the guy, post a tribute vid, too....and ELBOW still can't resist the urge to talk smack. What a sad little man - unlike Jeff Hanneman.

:rolleyes:

ELVIS
05-08-2013, 11:05 AM
That's not smack...

Slayer's just not your speed...

You're more of a Silent Lucidity type of guy...:biggrin:

jhale667
05-08-2013, 11:09 AM
"My speed"? Fuck off. No, I'm more of an EVH/Rhoads/Lynch/Sykes/Moore/Yngwie kinda guy... you wouldn't understand.... fact remains I said nice things about the guy, and you couldn't help but be a douche - as usual...

Von Halen
05-08-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm more of an EVH/Rhoads/Lynch/Sykes/Moore/Yngwie kinda guy...

You had me. Until you mentioned the last one!

jhale667
05-08-2013, 11:19 AM
You had me. Until you mentioned the last one!

LMAO... :lmao: I think he, while not nearly as revolutionary as Hendrix (whom I forgot to throw in there) EVH or Rhoads, he did kinda advance the genre of shred guitar when he first appeared on the scene, y'know?

Von Halen
05-08-2013, 11:28 AM
LMAO... :lmao: I think he, while not nearly as revolutionary as Hendrix (whom I forgot to throw in there) EVH or Rhoads, he did kinda advance the genre of shred guitar when he first appeared on the scene, y'know?

He advanced my hatred for a lot of flash with little substance.

jhale667
05-08-2013, 11:38 AM

True. It was already getting to that point in the 80s with everyone jumping on the hammer-on/dive-bomb bandwagon after EVH, then after Yngwie suddenly there were a million lame shredder dudes on Shrapnel records and everywhere else.... which kinda diminished the success of the Tony MacAplines and whoevers of the world that were actually good too...

The guitarists in Slayer were always more about the riffs than leads, which is awesome.... as they say, even the BEST lead guitarist is only playing lead 20% of the song...

:guitar:

binnie
05-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ace diamond
05-08-2013, 05:37 PM
The Brown Recluse doesn't live in California

wikipedia.......what a reliable source.......:pinocchio:
Brown Recluse Spiders do live in southern California.
I have encountered many of them over the years. Especially in Yucaipa.

ace diamond
05-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly how I feel!

Guitar Shark
05-08-2013, 05:38 PM

I've heard that they are especially attracted to people with one testicle.

ace diamond
05-08-2013, 05:41 PM
This is horrific news!

I still have my original vinyl of REIGN IN BLOOD that I got in 1986 when it came out.

ELVIS
05-08-2013, 05:43 PM
"My speed"? Fuck off. No, I'm more of an EVH/Rhoads/Lynch/Sykes/Moore/Yngwie kinda guy... you wouldn't understand.... fact remains I said nice things about the guy, and you couldn't help but be a douche - as usual...

Oh, I understand...

But I really don't hear any of those guys in the sound clips you've posted...

What I hear in your playing is more of a cross between Zakk Wylde and Vernon Reid...

And maybe some Sykes...

ace diamond
05-08-2013, 05:49 PM
I've heard that they are especially attracted to people with one testicle.
that's funny shite........

conmee
05-08-2013, 05:50 PM

Von,

I think many things in this world simply advance your hatred, period. Ha! But yeah, fuck Yngwie, the Kenny G of shred...

That is all.

Icon©®™

Seshmeister
05-08-2013, 05:54 PM

No you haven't.

http://spiders.ucr.edu/myth.html

Did you not post that you are clinically blind?

conmee
05-08-2013, 05:56 PM

Sesh,

Considering some of the seriously disgusting and sick shit I've witnessed and, well, performed, in a fucking hot tub - with whores mainly - any type of open sore or spider bite is just asking for an infection of some sort....

Wait, was this a private residence? Then nevermind...

That is all.

Icon©®™

Anonymous
05-08-2013, 05:57 PM
So much hatred for the Yngmaster... Yngwmaster? Malmstmaster... oh, fuck it.

Why is that? Dude's a guitar player AND a frontman. A one man show, top notch entertainer, the only one I'd pay to see "wanking" on stage, all the others bore me to death & they're only interesting for guitar geeks, not your average, slightly normal person.

Regarding Jeff, why him & not Kerry King? Life sucks, Slayer rules, Kerry King swallows.

Cheers! :beers:

Seshmeister
05-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Sesh,

Considering some of the seriously disgusting and sick shit I've witnessed and, well, performed, in a fucking hot tub - with whores mainly - any type of open sore or spider bite is just asking for an infection of some sort....

Wait, was this a private residence? Then nevermind...

That is all.

Icon©®™

LOL!

Yeah there can't be many things less hygienic.

I definitely can't prove it wasn't a spider all I'm saying is that the science shows it is to be very unlikely to the level that if it had been a plot on House they would have got complaints. :)

ace diamond
05-08-2013, 06:06 PM
No you haven't.

http://spiders.ucr.edu/myth.html

this house was built in 1952. there are hundreds of brown recluse spiders in the garage. very few black widow spiders. tons of brown recluse spiders.

ace diamond
05-08-2013, 06:07 PM
I have personally caught several.

Guitar Shark
05-08-2013, 06:10 PM

Technically, I think what he said is that while sitting in his teepee with a friend, his friend posted it for him, while he dictated the words. He may also have been fishing for his dinner in a nearby stream at the time.

Anonymous
05-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Yes, the elusive salad fish.

FUCK YOU, KERRY KING!

Matt White
05-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Saw SLAYER with ANTHRAX & MEGADETH.......BRUTAL

ELVIS
05-08-2013, 06:47 PM
I saw them with System of a Down at the New Orleans House of Blues...

Awesome show...

:killer:

ace diamond
05-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Yes, the elusive salad fish.

FUCK YOU, KERRY KING!

check your sock drawer.......YOU'VE BEEN FISHED!
JUICE FUCKING KRELL!

FORD
05-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Sock drawer?

You been hanging with C-dog again, Ace?

Crusing Applebees and fornicating with fabric. :sockfucker:

Diamondjimi
05-09-2013, 07:35 PM
http://www.nme.com/news/slayer/70129

Let there be blood!

Diamondjimi
05-09-2013, 09:59 PM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=189736

ashstralia
05-09-2013, 10:10 PM
sucks... i lost a mate a few weeks ago who drank himself to death at 57.

i read somewhere here sesh had exactly the same tragedy with a much younger mate... just sad.

Hardrock69
05-09-2013, 11:31 PM
http://www.metalinsider.net/metal-on-metal/jeff-hannemans-official-cause-of-death-revealed-slayer-issue-statement

Jeff Hanneman’s Official Cause Of Death Revealed, Slayer Issue Statement

As the metal world continues to grieve the loss of Jeff Hanneman, an official cause of death has been released. It’s been confirmed that though the guitarist had been sidelined for over two years due to a Necrotizing fasciitis infection cause by a spider bite, Hanneman reportedly died from alcohol related cirrhosis.

Some began to speculate that Hanneman had been on a transplant list at the time of his passing. However, Slayer’s official statement claims that neither Hanneman nor those close to him were aware of the true extent of his liver condition until the last days of his life. Hanneman had apparently even been showing signs of improvements and was supposedly excited to start work on a new Slayer record.

In the wake of this news, Kerry King and Tom Araya shared a few of their favorite memories of their fallen bandmate in an official statement (just a few hours after confirming plans to move forward with their European tour). Here’s what the two had to share:

KERRY: “I had so many great times with Jeff… in the early days when we were out on the road, he and I were the night owls, we would stay up all night on the bus, just hanging out, talking, watching movies… World War II movies, horror movies, we watched Full Metal Jacket so many times, we could practically recite all of the dialogue.”

TOM: “When we first formed Slayer, we used to rehearse all the time, religiously, 24/7. Jeff and I spent a lot of time hanging out together, he lived in my father’s garage which was also our rehearsal space. When he got his own apartment, he had an 8-track and I would go there to record songs I’d written, not Slayer songs, other stuff I’d written. At a certain point, you still have the band but you start your own lives outside of the band, so that 24/7 falls to the side, you don’t spend as much time together as you once did. I miss those early days.”

KERRY: “He was a gigantic World War II buff, his father served in that war, so when Slayer played Russia for the first time – I think it was 1998 – Jeff and I went to one of Moscow’s military museums. I’ll never forget him walking around that place, looking at all of the tanks, weapons and other exhibits. He was like a kid on Christmas morning. But that was Jeff’s thing, he knew so much about WW II history, he could have taught it in school.”

TOM: “We were in New York recording South of Heaven. Jeff and I were at the hotel and we had to get to the studio – I think it was called Chung King, a real rundown place. So we left the hotel and decided to walk, but then it started raining. We walked maybe five blocks, and it was raining so hard, we were totally soaked, so we decided to get a cab. Here we are, two dudes with long hair and leather jackets, absolutely soaked, thumbing to the studio. No one would stop. We had to walk the entire way.”

TOM: “Jeff was a lifeline of Slayer, he wrote so many of the songs that the band will always be known for. He had a good heart, he was a good guy.”

Noticeably absent from the above statement is estranged drummer Dave Lombardo. Shortly after news of Hanneman’s death was confirmed, though, Lombardo tweeted “I’m deeply saddened shocked and speechless. It’s difficult for me to write my feelings at this moment. My heart goes out to #KathyHanneman.”

Slayer’s official statement also confirmed plans for a celebration of Hanneman’s life to take place sometime later this month with his friends and family. More information about said celebration will be revealed soon, but it will be open to the public. While we know Slayer will return to the road this summer for a European tour, it remains unclear as to what this means Slayer’s long-awaited new album, or long term plans for that matter. However, it’s only been a week since Hanneman’s death, and it’s safe to say that Slayer (even Lombardo) are still in a state of shock.

binnie
05-10-2013, 04:03 AM
Sad way to go............

sadaist
05-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Been thinking about Jeff the last day or 2 a lot.

Venomous spider bite

Flesh eating bacteria / Necrotic flesh

Liver damage by years of massive alcohol consumption

Dude went out in pure Slayer style, that's for sure. Lars Ulrich will probably die by a $1.5 million dollar painting falling on him while he sips his morning tea in his tennis shorts.

RIP Jeff.

FORD
05-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Like I said before, liver death by "lifestyle" was the easy guess. But I still believe that the toxins in his body from the spider, all the hospital time & related pharmaceuticals etc likely played a role.

Though arguably that role might have effected him less without the self-inflicted damage. Never been a Slayer fan, but it's still sad to go out like that.

ELVIS
05-11-2013, 08:38 PM
The liver failure was probably due to the antibiotics they were pumping into him...

The life of drinking and living on the road didn't help...

sadaist
05-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Yeah. I'd bet the farm that the medicines & all the crap he went through recently played a big part. Surprised with all the hospitalization that they never did a liver panel blood test. They must have. How do they miss something like this? Or do you think he & the guys from Slayer had known about this for some time?

ace diamond
05-24-2013, 06:32 PM
for the record:
no, I did not go to the memorial. I stayed home, partied hard, blasted tons of 80's SLAYER,
and FUCK THE NEIGHBORS!

binnie
05-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Thankfully, reports suggest that Westboro 'Church' didn't show up either.....

ace diamond
05-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Thankfully, reports suggest that Westboro 'Church' didn't show up either.....
DAMN......WOULD HAVE BEEN THE DEATH OF THEM IF THEY HAD.........
:metalbang:

Anonymous
05-25-2013, 06:09 PM
for the record:
no, I did not go to the memorial. I stayed home, partied hard, blasted tons of 80's SLAYER,
and FUCK THE NEIGHBORS!

Grate.

Now isn't it better to stay home & make a complete mockery of the music we both love in PRIVATE?

Did you wear your devil mask?

ace diamond
05-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Grate.

Now isn't it better to stay home & make a complete mockery of the music we both love in PRIVATE?

Did you wear your devil mask?

2 things.
1. that mask is long gone. has been for years.
2. I actually respect jeff and Slayer enough to give the band and jeff's folks their space and privacy.
I remembered Jeff in traditional manner..........I got fucked up and blasted FUCKING SSSLLLAAAYYYEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Problem?

ace diamond
05-25-2013, 06:23 PM
No Mockery intended. wasn't intended at Dio's memorial either. If WBC had actually had the gall to show up at jeff's service, I would have ben there with a flat of eggs.......and my slingshot........

Anonymous
05-25-2013, 06:23 PM
2 things.
1. that mask is long gone. has been for years.
2. I actually respect jeff and Slayer enough to give the band and jeff's folks their space and privacy.
I remembered Jeff in traditional manner..........I got fucked up and blasted FUCKING SSSLLLAAAYYYEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Problem?

None at all, I was actually complimenting you for the good taste you displayed this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_zsJ8KPP0

Anonymous
05-25-2013, 06:24 PM
No Mockery intended. wasn't intended at Dio's memorial either. If WBC had actually had the gall to show up at jeff's service, I would have ben there with a flat of eggs.......and my slingshot........

That, I'd applaud. Even in the devil mask.

ESPECIALLY in the devil mask.

ThrillsNSpills
05-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Like I said before, liver death by "lifestyle" was the easy guess. But I still believe that the toxins in his body from the spider,

No doubt, but consider the horror of bacteria eating the surrounding area of the spider bite and not stopping. Talk about a maddening situation. I saw something on Animal Planet about it .

ace diamond
05-25-2013, 06:27 PM
That, I'd applaud. Even in the devil mask.

ESPECIALLY in the devil mask.

I'll have to get another devil mask and a greyhound ticket to a certain town in Kansas......and a video camera to record it all......I'd love to egg that cunt Phelps right in her eyes!

ace diamond
05-25-2013, 06:31 PM
None at all, I was actually complimenting you for the good taste you displayed this time.
Cheers!:beers8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yew9L0Xjm_g