PDA

View Full Version : Mustang 3.7 V6 in the 12's!!

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 12:01 AM
:elvis:

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 12:07 AM

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 12:09 AM
That's some killer performance from a normally aspirated V6 in such a big car...

American cars kick ass...

:rockit:

Dan
05-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Golden In A Holden.:D

Nitro Express
05-06-2013, 02:35 AM
That's some killer performance from a normally aspirated V6 in such a big car...

American cars kick ass...

The new fuel injected V6's have as much horsepower and torque as the old small block V8's with carburetors. I know a car dealer and he has the hardest time moving half ton pickups with a V6. They have all the torque and horsepower of a pre-fuel injection V8 but truck guys want a big engine. That's why the Dodge V10 gimmick was successful.

Another way you get performance is to cut the weight. It's thrust to weight so you don't need the big engine if you are light.

twonabomber
05-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Hard to cut weight when cars have to meet side impact standards and have front and rear crush zones. All the little bullshit gadgets add weight, too. Moving to aluminum will cut weight but add cost.

I thought Ford was going to have a hard time selling the Ecoboost trucks to traditional truck buyers who prefer V8's but supposedly they are selling well.

Von Halen
05-06-2013, 10:34 AM
The Ecoboost is great in theory, but they are having major issues with it. They will get it worked out. Also, it's getting nowhere near the MPG they claim.

The Ram will be the first half ton pickup with Diesel power later this year.

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 11:26 AM
The worst thing about the Ecoboost is the name...

But turbo engines are not maintenence free like modern NA engines virtually are...

Turbo motors are the thing right now because they make tons of power and sip gas, but that comes at a price...

I've changed turbos on a couple late model Beetles recently, so I'm ready for the turbo failures that are sure to come when people refuse to maintain their car properly...

twonabomber
05-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Supercharge is mo betta than turbocharge. :D

Mine is fast enough to get me into trouble. That works for me.

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 11:31 AM
The impressive thing about the 3.7 is it's not turbo or supercharged...

But a Supercharger really makes the Mustang V6 badass, as seen below...

Von Halen
05-06-2013, 11:33 AM

But turbo engines are not maintenence free like modern NA engines virtually are...

Turbo motors are the thing right now because they make tons of power and sip gas, but that comes at a price...

I've changed turbos on a couple late model Beetles recently, so I'm ready for the turbo failures that are sure to come when people refuse to maintain their car properly...

I agree, but the Ecoboost issues are happening to low mileage engines.

Von Halen
05-06-2013, 11:35 AM
The impressive thing about the 3.7 is it's not turbo or supercharged...

But a Supercharger really makes the Mustang V6 badass, as seen below...

Badass, but if I were to buy a Shelby, I'm buying the 662 HP V8!

twonabomber
05-06-2013, 11:39 AM
No shit.

The only non-V8 Shelby I'd buy would be one of the old turbo Dodges. Saw a CSX in the car corral at the Auburn auction a few years ago...pops talked me out of it.

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I agree, but the Ecoboost issues are happening to low mileage engines.

Good, I'll fix it...

But yeah, they're having all kinds of problems from software to who know's what...

I haven't had to delve into it, yet...

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Hey, Chrysler seems to have their new V6 cylinder head problems figured out...

BTW, I'm a Mopar guy posting FORD threads for those who don't know...

And I don't currently own any Mopars...:(

Von Halen
05-06-2013, 11:43 AM
No shit.

The only non-V8 Shelby I'd buy would be one of the old turbo Dodges. Saw a CSX in the car corral at the Auburn auction a few years ago...pops talked me out of it.

See, if you had let me know you were in town, I'd have talked you into it! Fucker!

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 11:44 AM
And the only car I'm waiting to get is a used 6 speed 392 Challenger...

Preferably the Yellow Jacket but I'll settle for less...

Von Halen
05-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Hey, Chrysler seems to have their new V6 cylinder head problems figured out...

BTW, I'm a Mopar guy posting FORD threads for those who don't know...

And I don't currently own any Mopars...:(

Same here.

But really I'm an AMERICAN car guy. Except for that hideous "new" Camaro.

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Here's me soon...

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/accessories/images/2012-Dodge-Challenger-SRT8-392-Yellow-Jacket-Rear.jpg

:killer:

ELVIS
Ugly ass tires on that thing...

twonabomber
See, if you had let me know you were in town, I'd have talked you into it! Fucker!

LOL before we went I thought it was Auburn up there, but it was Auburn, Indiana.

Didn't do NAIAS this year, dad's not up to walking for three hours any more.

twonabomber
05-06-2013, 11:49 AM
And the only car I'm waiting to get is a used 6 speed 392 Challenger...

Preferably the Yellow Jacket but I'll settle for less...

Had my SRT-6 in for the BAS/ESP light a couple weeks ago. They are remodeling the dealership into the new CDJR "Alpha" model, so everything is outside. They had two 392 Challengers back to back...a white one for $50k and a black one for $51k. Ouch.

Now they're making SRT "core" models, with the big motor but less of the luxury stuff inside. Should be closer to $40k.

cadaverdog
05-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Tires or rims? I'm not a big fan of these huge rims with rubber band tires that cost an arm and a leg. I like the old school rims like Cragars and Rallys.

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Did I say tires or rims ??

And they're not that expensive...

PETE'S BROTHER
05-06-2013, 11:56 AM

wheels too ;)

twonabomber
05-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Did I say tires or rims ??

And they're not that expensive...

Mine are. Looking at over $800 for the rear alone if I went with OEM replacement Pilot Sport PS2. Pilot Super Sports are a little less expensive, may try those this time around.

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Had my SRT-6 in for the BAS/ESP light a couple weeks ago.

Now they're making SRT "core" models, with the big motor but less of the luxury stuff inside. Should be closer to $40k.

That's what the Yellow Jacket is supposed to be...

I'm still interested in an SRT6 also or even a regular Crossfire...

They're dirt cheap and super nice, probably the best used deal out there...

But I really want a V8 and used GTO's with aluminum LS1 power and a 6 speed can be had for Crossfire money, so...

Some Mopar guy I am...

But those LS motors are nothing but badass...

:biggrin:

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 12:04 PM
My Denali XL has a LQ4 6.0 and all I did was add a complete Airraid intake system and it really woke up...

And it gets 20 mpg if you keep your foot out of it...

Tons of power for a nearly 6000lb 4X4 SUV and pulls the shit out of my fully loaded 5000lb travel trailer...

twonabomber
05-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Dad leased a Crossfire Limited convertible after I bought the SRT from him. Not a bad car either, but obviously not as fast.

There's another SRT-6 in town, close to where I grew up. Graphite grey. My brother had told me he'd seen it last year, I saw it the other day while I was at the bank in mine.

Local Kia dealer has sent me two letters offering to buy mine for $12.5k but I think I could get closer to $15k for it. For a car that stickered at $48 large that's not bad. I decided to keep it, with only 2,000 made I have a feeling I'd regret letting it go.

Speaking of turbo Dodges...helped my brother take the head off his IROC Daytona the other day. He's trying to get it done and back to the track for a few runs.

I run this intake on my SRT

http://needswings.com/NeedsWings-SRT6-Crossfire-Cold-Air-Intake-System.aspx

Thought about getting pulleys but I don't know if I want to risk it.

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Those old dodge turbo motors are bad ass...

:biggrin:

twonabomber
05-06-2013, 12:14 PM
He sold his turbo Voyager earlier this year. The IROC is a '92 with the optional 2.5l "High Torque" turbo. Less than 230 of those made, engine parts made of unobtanium.

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 12:29 PM
wheels too ;)

They grew on me...

These look better...

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/73209071.jpg

Von Halen
05-06-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm not a big fan of these huge rims with rubber band tires that cost an arm and a leg. I like the old school rims like Cragars and Rallys.

Same here. Those low profile tires ride like shit too.

VAiN
05-06-2013, 02:11 PM
The V6's are impressive when you consider how terrible they were a few short years ago, that's for sure.
Ford really nailed it with the new 5.0.. I LOVE my 2012 5.0.. Silky smooth and pulls to the 7k redline. I love having 400+ hp and a 6-speed. I've owned it for almost a year and still smile every time I see it. I'm curious to see what the 2015 body change will be like.

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 07:09 PM
I think it might be a two seater...

qikgts
05-06-2013, 09:34 PM
That's haulin' the mail for a 6 pot! Direct injection is verrrrrrryyyyy nice technology...

Nitro Express
05-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Here's me soon...

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/accessories/images/2012-Dodge-Challenger-SRT8-392-Yellow-Jacket-Rear.jpg

:killer:

I like how they did a new spin on the classic styling. Cars need to become fun again.

Nitro Express
05-06-2013, 09:47 PM

What goes on the turbos? Bearings or does the heat eat em up?

Nitro Express
05-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Same here. Those low profile tires ride like shit too.

Unless you are corning hard all the time who needs them?

twonabomber
05-06-2013, 10:10 PM
What goes on the turbos? Bearings or does the heat eat em up?

I know older turbos had lubrication issues, like spinning down dry after the engine was shut off. Not sure if that's still the case.

VAiN
05-06-2013, 10:13 PM
I think it might be a two seater...

I'd be Ok with that... it's basically a 2-seater with room for a grocery bag behind the seat now..

VAiN
05-06-2013, 10:24 PM

Wow, I couldn't view this on my phone... that's an impressive video. I remember trying to break into the 12's with a 5-speed 94 pushrod 5.0 Mustang GT with the Ford GT40 intake, aluminum heads, Steeda 18 cam, roller rockers, full exhaust, Mickey Thompson slicks & 3.73's! Amazing how far it's all come!

Von Halen
05-06-2013, 10:50 PM
I know older turbos had lubrication issues, like spinning down dry after the engine was shut off. Not sure if that's still the case.

That problem has been resolved for the most part.

Nickdfresh
05-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Fuck, I just want a Fiesta or Focus ST...

conmee
05-06-2013, 11:28 PM
NDF-

Where is your signature clip from? I get a boner every time I read one of your posts and it's freaking me out....

I hope the seats in the Focus ST are better than the rental I had in Houston.... walking with a fucking cane by the end of my trip... glad to be back in the Benz...

That is all.

Icon©®™

ELVIS
05-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Wow, I couldn't view this on my phone...

I know you love Mustangs...

Is that bad or what ??

Nickdfresh
05-06-2013, 11:33 PM
That problem has been resolved for the most part.

I believe the Fords have an additional oil cooling system so you don't necessarily need to use a synthetic oil in their turbos. I would/will anyways because it's just stupid not too. I use syn in my truck because Ford basically back-spec'd it for all practical purposes (in colder weather)...

Nickdfresh
05-06-2013, 11:39 PM
NDF-

Where is your signature clip from? I get a boner every time I read one of your posts and it's freaking me out....

It is quite stunning. I'll try to find where I got it from, but the actress cumming her brains out is simply beautiful. I've seen her in several movies. I'll try to get her name...

I hope the seats in the Focus ST are better than the rental I had in Houston.... walking with a fucking cane by the end of my trip... glad to be back in the Benz...

That is all.

Icon©®™

I think they're going to be very stiff neoprene (or whatever) racing/ seats, so probably even worse.... :)

I sort of like to be beaten up, or down, while driving because I'm pretty psychotic at it...

ELVIS
05-07-2013, 12:03 AM
I believe the Fords have an additional oil cooling system so you don't necessarily need to use a synthetic oil in their turbos.

That don't mean shit...

I've seen clogged turbo oil lines and you're asking for trouble if you don't use the best synthetic oil you can afford and change it often...

The sludge can occur even with synthetics but not nearly as fast...

VAiN
05-07-2013, 01:09 AM
I know you love Mustangs...

Is that bad or what ??

That's no joke.. Cool shit for sure. Makes me want to go do burnouts in the parking lot.

ELVIS
05-07-2013, 09:58 AM
I like how it sounds at the far end of the track...

That little motor is humming...

ELVIS
05-07-2013, 10:03 AM
How 'bout a V6 Mopar ??

ELVIS
05-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Some local Cajuns in a V10 Drag Pack Challenger...

qikgts
05-08-2013, 07:48 PM
How 'bout a V6 Mopar ??

Challenger got down there good. That GTO is missing something though, it needs the "driver mod"...

qikgts
05-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Some local Cajuns in a V10 Drag Pack Challenger...

Watched the clip a few times but it sounded like there was 'Glide in there... Just me?