PDA

View Full Version : Geographically ignorant adulterous hypocrite elected to Congress in South Carolina.

FORD
05-07-2013, 10:15 PM
By Carrie Dann, NBC News

Once the disgraced and tearful figure at the epicenter of an embarrassing scandal, former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford will return to public life as a U.S. congressman.

The Associated Press has projected Sanford to be the winner of Tuesday's special election in South Carolina's 1st Congressional District race.

Sanford, a Republican, defeated Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch after a race that captivated national media attention despite the district's solidly Republican record. The win caps an unlikely ascent to political redemption after Sanford's extramarital affair and subsequent divorce made him fodder for national headlines and late-might comedy sketches.

"The people have spoken, and I respect their decision," Colbert Busch said in brief remarks Tuesday night.

Once described as a possible presidential contender, Sanford left the Governor's Mansion in 2011 humiliated by revelations of his affair with an Argentine woman — now his fiancée.

His campaign to retake the U.S. House seat he held in the 1990s began with a plea for forgiveness during the GOP primary but ended mainly with red-meat critiques of the federal deficit, big government and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.

"I have a question for y'all: How many of you want to change Washington, D.C.?" Sanford said to cheers from supporters, declaring that voters had sent "a message to Washington, D.C., and a messenger to Washington, D.C., on the importance of changing things in that fair city."

Sanford's personal life was in the campaign's spotlight in April, when court documents accusing him of trespassing at his ex-wife's home were made public. He says he entered the house to watch the second half of the Super Bowl with his 14-year-old son, chalking the charges up to a family dispute.

Colbert Busch, a college administrator, benefited from a publicity boost from brother and political comedian Stephen Colbert but proved unable to win in a district that hasn't voted for a Democrat for more than three decades.

Noting that "I had deficiencies that were well chronicled as a candidate," Sanford joked: "Some guy came up to me the other day and said, 'You look a lot like Lazarus.'"

Sanford will now hold the House seat left vacant when Republican Tim Scott, an African American conservative who is a favorite with Tea Party activists, was appointed to replace departing Sen. Jim DeMint in the U.S. Senate.

M. Alex Johnson and Lauren Selsky of NBC News contributed to this report.

FORD
05-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Elliot Spitzer/Anthony Weiner 2016.

Why the fuck not? If Sanford and Diaperhead Vitter can resume their political careers, how about reinstating a couple of guys who at least were worth a shit?

SunisinuS
05-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Sad. But the Sheeple have spoken.

:1014:

Sarge
05-08-2013, 01:58 AM
It's amazing that people have such a short memory. I can't believe this guy is able to make important government decisions when he has a multitude of personal problems.

conmee
05-08-2013, 02:09 AM
He has a lot of nerve talking about "changing Washington D.C...." Fuck it, this country gets the government it deserves... voting in actors, athletes, bodybuilders, wrestlers, thieves, goats, chickens, crack addicts... nothing surprises me anymore.

Icon©®™

jhale667
05-08-2013, 02:19 AM
So much for Rethuglicans and the supposed "moral high ground".

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/mindthegap_zps426bf4aa.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/jhale667/media/mindthegap_zps426bf4aa.jpg.html)

ELVIS
05-08-2013, 09:36 AM
It's amazing that people have such a short memory.

No it isn't...

They're programmed by TV and fed a diet of junk food and garbage...

SunisinuS
05-08-2013, 04:32 PM
It's funny, the people that voted for him are more concerned about telling the rest of us not to have affairs than endorsing their candidate who had one.

It is more important to tell the rest of the 97% that we suck, than acknowledge the sty in their own eye.

:metalbang:

FORD
05-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Sanford's adultery isn't even the worst thing about him. Well, obviously to his wife and kids, it is. But as far as his job as governor is concerned, the worst thing isn't that he was banging some chick, it's that he had to leave the country to do it, hell, leave the continent and didn't tell anybody where he was going (for obvious reasons).

Governors take vacations, but they should be reachable at all times, should there be an emergency. And this is South Carolina, so between all the wackjobs living there and being in the middle of hurricane country, the odds of an emergency are fairly high.

And yet, with all this known about him, he's the best choice for Congress??

This had to be a Diebold job. Even in South Carolina, people couldn't be that clueless.

Guitar Shark
05-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Even in South Carolina, people couldn't be that clueless.

Well, they are.

FORD
05-09-2013, 05:44 PM
The Colbert Report Get More: Colbert Report Full Episodes,Indecision Political Humor,Video Archive

conmee
05-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Sanford's adultery isn't even the worst thing about him. Well, obviously to his wife and kids, it is. But as far as his job as governor is concerned, the worst thing isn't that he was banging some chick, it's that he had to leave the country to do it, hell, leave the continent and didn't tell anybody where he was going (for obvious reasons).

Governors take vacations, but they should be reachable at all times, should there be an emergency. And this is South Carolina, so between all the wackjobs living there and being in the middle of hurricane country, the odds of an emergency are fairly high.

And yet, with all this known about him, he's the best choice for Congress??

This had to be a Diebold job. Even in South Carolina, people couldn't be that clueless.

FORD,

#1 - When I go on vacation, or when I need to lie low with one of my prostitutes, Buenos Aires is a fine town to kick it in, and I always turn off my phone and refuse to read email... I mean, that's Vacation 101, bro!

#2 - I think this is an instance where, YES, the people ARE that clueless. You're giving both Diebold AND the South Carolina electorate WAAAYYYY too much credit. It's time we accept that outside a few key states, this country is full of idiots.

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™