PDA

View Full Version : Is The U.S. Air Force Going To The Birds?

Nickdfresh
05-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 04:09 PM EDT
17 incompetent Air Force officers stripped of missile launching powers
Commander cites "rot" in the ranks after poor review of skills
By Natasha Lennard

http://media.salon.com/2013/05/shutterstock_116276581.jpg
Topics: U.S. Air Force, nuclear missiles, officers, 91st missile wing, News
17 incompetent Air Force officers stripped of missile launching powers (Credit: Shutterstock/Ken Sato)

Seventeen officers in the Air Force have been stripped of the authority to control nuclear missiles after what the AP called Wednesday a “string of unpublicized failings, including a remarkably dim review of their unit’s launch skills.” The commander in charge of the 91st Missile Wing said that there was “rot” in the ranks after the offers performed abysmally during reviews on their launch operations skills, for which the unit was given a “D” grade.

Via the AP:

The tip-off to trouble was a March inspection of the 91st Missile Wing at Minot Air Force Base, N.D., which earned the equivalent of a “D’’ grade when tested on its mastery of Minuteman III missile launch operations. In other areas, the officers tested much better, but the group’s overall fitness was deemed so tenuous that senior officers at Minot decided, after probing further, that an immediate crackdown was called for.

The Air Force publicly called the inspection a “success.”

But in April it quietly removed 17 officers at Minot from the highly sensitive duty of standing 24-hour watch over the Air Force’s most powerful nuclear missiles, the intercontinental ballistic missiles that can strike targets across the globe. Inside each underground launch control capsule, two officers stand “alert” at all times, ready to launch an ICBM upon presidential order…

The 17 cases mark the Air Force’s most extensive sidelining ever of launch crew members, according to Lt. Col. Angie Blair, a spokeswoman for Air Force Global Strike Command, which oversees the missile units as well as nuclear-capable bombers. The wing has 150 officers assigned to missile launch control duty.

… In response to AP inquiries, the Air Force said the lapses never put the security of the nuclear force at risk. It said the officers who lost their certification to operate ICBMs are now getting more training with the expectation that they will return to normal duty within about two months. The missiles remain on their normal war footing, officials said.

Natasha Lennard is an assistant news editor at Salon, covering non-electoral politics, general news and rabble-rousing. Follow her on Twitter @natashalennard, email nlennard@salon.com.

Salon.com (http://www.salon.com/2013/05/08/air_force_strips_17_officers_of_missile_launching_ powers/)

BITEYOASS
05-11-2013, 10:10 PM
A lot of the Air Force consists of religious nutjobs. Incompetent officers, who cares! As long as they convince their Talibangelical COs that they believe in JAYZUS, they'll keep their jobs.

vandeleur
05-12-2013, 01:14 AM
Maybe Soviets have been using fluoridation of United States' water supplies to pollute their "precious bodily fluids" :biggrin:

SunisinuS
05-13-2013, 02:38 AM
Maybe we should transfer them to Kim Jun Bird Kill.

Seshmeister
05-13-2013, 04:32 AM
A lot of the Air Force consists of religious nutjobs. Incompetent officers, who cares! As long as they convince their Talibangelical COs that they believe in JAYZUS, they'll keep their jobs.

It's a very worrying development where you give people who are hardcore believers in end times and a supernatural immortality, the ability to end the world.

Jesus Christ
05-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Just for the record, I never asked My followers to hedge their bets that I would return in time for them to trash this world and get away with it.

Those who abuse Our Creation, claiming it's OK because they hath a "Get out of Hell Free Card" are not My true Disciples.

Sarge
05-15-2013, 10:34 AM

I have several relatives that are Air Force officers, including one in missiles and silo's. I have no clue what you are talking about.
I am not sure what you are basing this on, but I haven't encountered that.
The majority of our medical centers are tri-service and I have worked with Air Force people and never got the feeling of them being religious nutjobs.
Plus, my son is in the Air Force. lol.

I will say over the last 5 years most of the females I have saw were... fat. Their physical training requirements are not as strict.

Breasts,

Va Beach VH Fan
05-15-2013, 10:48 AM
I will say over the last 5 years most of the females I have saw were... fat. Their physical training requirements are not as strict.

Breasts,

Really, Air Force females?

Well that has certainly changed then. It was common knowledge back in the day that the Air Force easily had the best looking women....

Va Beach VH Fan
05-15-2013, 10:53 AM
A lot of this also goes back to the scenario created in the WarGames movie, where the officers in the silos wouldn't turn the key to launch the missiles during a drill (which they didn't know was a drill).....

I know the article is specifically talking about incompetence, but all of those duties are vital....

Sarge
05-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Really, Air Force females?

Well that has certainly changed then. It was common knowledge back in the day that the Air Force easily had the best looking women....

Maybe my standards are too high?

jhale667
05-15-2013, 11:11 AM
My best friend recently retired from the USAF... wouldn't really call him a "religious nutjob"...

FORD
05-15-2013, 03:05 PM
From what I've heard, the "religious nutjob" stuff has been in more recent years, and it's because fundagelicals have taken over the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, just as they have taken over that whole town.