PDA

View Full Version : Who's your favourite post-Randy Ozzy guitar player (and why)?

binnie
05-15-2013, 04:17 AM
OK, I know some folks hate polls but I think this one is an interesting one (hopefully you'll agree).

So - who's the man after Randy? Maybe you actually think one of these guys is superior to Randy?

Pinch harmonics away...............

saint
05-15-2013, 05:14 AM
Jake E Lee, That's a lot because I really like those albums best, I can't say that i've been paying a ton of attention to any of them outside Ozzies band. And I know that maybe it's too early to say this, I guess I might have to wait for Jake to die, but I like his playing even better that Randys

Dave's Bitch
05-15-2013, 05:20 AM
I like Jake E. Lee.I like his sound and style.And Badlands have some serious jams :)

78/84 guy
05-15-2013, 07:04 AM
It's kind of like Ed replacing Dave. You hear something but it's not as good. Jake was good. They all are, but Randy was the man. Those are the only Ozzy albums I own.

VAiN
05-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Not really a fan, but little VAiN remembers the Bark at the Moon video with Jake E. Lee.. So that guy is my pick.

DLR Bridge
05-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Man, if Jake had any idea how much love has been sent his way these past few weeks, from a DLR site no less!

He is one respectable underdog I tell ya. I hope we hear more from him in the future.

binnie
05-15-2013, 11:40 AM
It's a landslide thus far.

I figured that there'd be some Zakk fans out there.........maybe even a few Joe Holmes fans to throw a spanner in the works :D

I'll say this: although I don't think he's anywhere near the best player, Gus G played on perhaps the best post-Randy Ozzy record in 'Scream'. That really is a killer record, and perhaps Ozzy's most consistent since 'Bark.....'

jhale667
05-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Jake FTW. I dig Zakk too, not a Gus G fan, but Jake was the one that stepped in to the ginormous shoes (for someone so tiny) that Rhoads left behind. Gillis is cool, but he was always an interim replacement just to finish the DOAM tour and record the SOTD album.

TFM_Dale
05-15-2013, 11:56 AM
I dig Zakk and actually prefer Black Label Society to anything Ozzy has done recently. How do I vote while using tapatalk?

ELVIS
05-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Brad Gillis...any day...

:rockit:

ELVIS
05-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Too bad the guitar is too loud and you can't hear Ozzy in this clip...

:elvis:

sadaist
05-15-2013, 12:06 PM
First Ozzy concert I saw was with Metallica opening. Ultimate Sin tour and Jakes last. But the man was out of this world incredible. Never really got in to any of the others but I'll say Zakk has done a capable job in keeping Ozzys music heavy metal & good. A lot of great songs. But I still pick Jake as my fav.

vandeleur
05-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Am going with Zak ..... Prefer that material

DLR Bridge
05-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Brad Gillis...any day...

Get outta here, really?

I always thought that guy looked like he could be Sammy's twin.

There's a picture of Ozzy and Brad in the new Rolling Stone and under it, it says Ozzy and Randy. Dopes.

DLR Bridge
05-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Zakk is no slouch, but he suffers from JohnSykesitis. That's the act of popping that signature harmonic over and over and over and over and.......

.....over and.......

over....

vandeleur
05-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Yeah he likes to squeal

VHscraps
05-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Tony Iommi.

VHscraps
05-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Let me modify that slightly - I saw Ozz with Brad Gillis in the early 80s. He was the best I saw with Ozz post Randy, and the best, period, aside from Iommi - and I saw the first Ozzy gig with Rhoads in 1980, which was at the famous and now demolished Apollo Theatre in Glasgow, and also Jake E. Lee, later etc. Never saw anyone else play with Ozzy.

ELVIS
05-15-2013, 01:41 PM

I thought we were judging his guitar skills...

DLR Bridge
05-15-2013, 01:45 PM
We are. That was an aside.

VHscraps
05-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Get outta here, really?

There's a picture of Ozzy and Brad in the new Rolling Stone and under it, it says Ozzy and Randy. Dopes.

Brad did look like Sammy - check out the back of Night Ranger's first LP (Hagar is actually thanked on it) - but he was awesome on the Ozzy 'Speak of the Devil' tour. I mean, I'm not a big Night Ranger fan, but that guy could pay and he had his own sound and a was a great stage performer - he projected a visual stage presence that made the show better.

I think I am probably one of the minority - I saw Randy Rhoads in 1980 and he was very very good. Afterwards we all said 'who the hell was that guy, pretty damn good', cuz the first Ozzy album had only been out for a matter of days. But I've gotta say he is also overrated ... as are most dead rock stars.

Matt White
05-15-2013, 03:47 PM
ZACK...followed by JAKE

too bad JAKE was around during the HAIR era.....rotten production & shitty songs......he's the best of the lot, just underused

ZACK made the best of a bad situation & turned things around for OZ.....made him relevant again

conmee
05-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Binnie,

I won't steal your THUNDER©®™ since this question has been asked a zillion times online, and maybe once or twice on this site. Nevertheless, I enjoy the discussion.

Jake is my favorite on many levels: more of a straight-forward metal than the classical-infused Randy, and he certainly doesn't abuse pinch harmonics like Zakk. Jake also saw Ozzy through a very difficult period, first taking over after Randy's death, and basically carrying Ozzy across the musical finish line on Ultimate Sin, where Jake continued writing for the album not knowing how post-Betty Ford Ozzy would take things in a clearer, sober state of mind. Not to mention, BATM is a sentimental favorite from my teen years. Keep in mind I'm not saying Jake is "better" than Randy, only that he's my preferred Ozzy guitarist. I also only consider guys who actually wrote music with/for Ozzy. I like Gus G, he's got a cool personality, but I'm no fan of his sound and from what I understand, Scream was already written more or less and he just came in and played. Still Gus is a cool cat and respectful of the entire Ozzy catalog IMHO.

Jake lives in Vegas and comes out of hiding occasionally. Word has it he's been working on new material and put out a call for a singer back in November, so we may hear from him again.

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

78/84 guy
05-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Brad did look like Sammy - check out the back of Night Ranger's first LP (Hagar is actually thanked on it) - but he was awesome on the Ozzy 'Speak of the Devil' tour. I mean, I'm not a big Night Ranger fan, but that guy could pay and he had his own sound and a was a great stage performer - he projected a visual stage presence that made the show better.

I think I am probably one of the minority - I saw Randy Rhoads in 1980 and he was very very good. Afterwards we all said 'who the hell was that guy, pretty damn good', cuz the first Ozzy album had only been out for a matter of days. But I've gotta say he is also overrated ... as are most dead rock stars.

Overrated ? Hmmm... I hear you but I don't. The guy was playing like that in his early 20's. Never got to see him but if what is on the live albums is close to what he sounded like on a stage I say he had the best live tone ever. It had alot of meat behind it but still smooooth as hell. Never loved his tone on the albums but it was still good. I'm more of a rock guy then metal but he knocked me out when I heard Crazy Train the first time. Zakk is good but enough with the effects dude !

VHscraps
05-15-2013, 07:43 PM
RR may have been a better technician than many other players, better than EVH maybe, and things like his tone on stage might have been great - but I just think that in terms of songs, song construction, and riffs, he wan't really a remarkable player. That mighta been because he was having to flesh out songs that were possibly written mostly by Bob Daisley, and didn't leave a lot of room for him to be that inventive. Who knows? But you listen to those early Quiet Riot albums with Randy and there is nary a memorable moment on either.

The riffing in his Ozzy tunes is just pretty unremarkable to me, and leagues behind EVH at the same time - but, then, I guess you could say that about everyone else at that time.

But, it's still worth doing a listening comparison - leave aside Ed's more well-known guitar pieces. Look up the guitar-only track of 'So This Is Love' on youtube. Listen to EVH play that on one guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=451svA16qUU

It is a composition, a complete piece of music - and DLR's vocal melody comes right out of it. You could equally listen to the guitar-only of 'I'm the One' on youtube as well - and others - and get a good sense of how much hand work there is in EVH's so-called 'rhythm' work (it's often light years beyond mere rhythm), and how utterly ahead of any other rock player he was in terms of building a song from guitar parts.

My guess is that if you strip out the band fom the Randy-era Ozzy tunes it will sound pretty pedestrian. He's just not in the same league as EVH, and I guess that's why I think he is overrated.

If Ed had popped his clogs right after Fair Warning, he - and not Hendrix - would maybe be spoken of as the 'greatest ever'.

big fatty
05-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Yup, Jake E Lee will be back in action soon enough, with his new bands album , Red Dragon Cartel coming out later this year. It features guest vocalists, Robin Zander, Sass Jordon, and possibly Paul DiAnno. He just recently filmed an episode of The Metal Show.

www.JakeELee.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJjjNWrAwbE

I did get to see Jake on the Bark At The Moon tour with Motley Crue opening up, but don't seem to have much memory of that show for some reason, and Ozzy cancelled his Ultimate Sin tour stop with Metallica in my town back in '86.

I was lucky to see Randy though, and remember it well, as I was only twelve, alcohol & drug free at that point. It was July, 15, 1981 and Motorhead opened up. Their stage was exactly like the " No Sleep Til Hammersmith " live album, and they still had Fast Eddie and Philthy Animal Clarke. They were loud as hell and the light show was awesome. The whole concert experience that night was surreal, as I was a clean cut kid amongst a rowdy drugged up biker like audience. Ozzy's entrance was pretty cool, he stood centre stage with his arms held up giving the peace sign, with smoke and bright lights behind him, which looked really cool wearing his white suit with the tassles, then they ripped into " I Don't Know ". The band sounded fantastic, and Randy was spectacular. It was a good year for me, as I also saw my first VH show a couple months before this one.

After Randy passed away, Ozzy's first replacement was Bernie Torme, but he only lasted about a month, and it is hard to find bootlegs of that time period.

Joe Holmes, kinda not as special to my ears, and Zakk is a tad bit annoying to me. Gus was quite impressive, but I'll be glad to see Ozzy again in August with Sabbath.

ELVIS
05-15-2013, 10:31 PM
That clip sucked...

VAiN
05-15-2013, 11:19 PM
How do I vote while using tapatalk?
You have to use your browser.. Tapatalk is great, but lacks a little with polls and embedded video.

sadaist
05-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Tony Iommi.

That was funny scraps. Thanks! Always fun when scanning a thread & a post smacks you with a smile.

GreenBayLA
05-16-2013, 03:36 AM
I voted other: Bernie Torme, simply because Ozzy kicked him in the balls while onstage. Game over. He was 1st guitarist to replace Randy, the ex-Gillan six-slinger was rumored to suffer from stage fright and Brad Gillis was brought in soon after. But Torme can shred, he did a decent solo album with Phil Lewis just prior to him joining LA Guns.

binnie
05-16-2013, 04:24 AM
I'll say this: I've seen Ozzy twice with Zakk and once with Joe Holmes, and I'd take Holmes' performance any day of the week. And I'm a Zakk fan - love BLS and Pride & Glory. I think it's a shame Joe Holmes never got to play on an Ozzy record.....

tojoro
05-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Definitely Jake. In the era of shred, this was a guy getting it done sans whammy bar.
I really like Bark for Bob's third offering of lyrics, writing and performance. Jake did a truly great job in helping create what I felt was a fine follow-up to Diary...it wasn't what we were expecting to get, which was a reputation-cementing album from Randy, but there's nothing that can be done to change that, so instead, the band was faced with recording the album that would make or break Ozzy's career, really, and they delivered.
What a whirlwind for Jake...playing the Hollywood club scene, to playing arenas with one of the bigger hard rock acts of the day, having to come up with some top-notch stuff straight away, then having to accept a buyout over writing credits/royalties, having to perform and travel with a guy who is at the zenith of his cocaine and alcohol consumption, all while having the specter of your predecessor looming over your shoulder, in the crowd and during interviews.
It's been reputed that Ozzy was in Betty Ford during much of Ultimate Sin, which Jake recorded with a completely new band and producer. Daisley was still around for writing/lyrics, at least...but the sound suffered, shitty drums.
Now look back at how the Osbournes value Lee's tenure with them...they frigged with his work on Bark in 2002, when they had Bordin/Trujillo "re-record" Blizzard & Diary, and they act as though Ultimate Sin never happened.
Odd it is still made available on iTunes, though...
As told in Sharpe-Young's Sabbath book, Jake started staying home, as opposed to going to rehersal/writing sessions with Soussan & Castillo, whilst Ozzy & Sharon were on a press tour for the 'Tribute' album. The Osbourne/Lee years had come to a close.
I saw him with Ozzy in '84 w/ Motley and again in '86 with 'tallica and he was great.
I do enjoy Zakk's playing and what he's written during his time with Ozzy, it just isn't as strong as what Jake wrote with Bob on Bark.
To this day, I've yet to see anyone but Jake nail the outro on Bark at the Moon properly!

ELVIS
05-18-2013, 06:12 AM
Because its him...

Lee was fair...

And I would have stayed home 100% of the time rather than work with Costillo and Sousan....

They fucking suck....

And BTW, the tampered with BATM is better than the original...

binnie
05-18-2013, 07:17 AM
You don't rate Randy Castillo as a drummer?

ELVIS
05-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Fuck no, he was a joke, and Sousan was worse...

Terry
05-18-2013, 11:33 AM
I will say Brad Gillis did a helluva job...I mean, really excellent...with his brief stint in Osbourne's band. Both on the Speak of the Devil album covering the Sabbath songs and the Irvine Meadows, NJ 1982 dvd which was a lot of Blizzard/Diary material. And not even in just in terms of the fairly short amount of time he had to learn all that material, either...or the fact that in 1982 there weren't ten billion other guitar players out there who had mastered Randy's licks. It's not really that impressive these days to see some jagoff on youtube nailing Randy's licks, but it was pretty impressive to see Gillis just fucking blazing through that stuff back then.

I liked what Jake E. Lee did on Bark At The Moon. He was a pretty good live player, too. Got to see him play with Ozzy twice as the only times I got to see Ozzy were on the Bark At The Moon and Ultimate Sin Tours. I appeciated the fact that Lee wasn't a Van Halen clone in that he eschewed using a tremolo bar and didn't have both hands on the fretboard during every guitar solo like seemingly countless numbers of players during the mid-1980s. There were far too many other guitarists back then who took those two elements of Van Halen's style and used them as go-to gimmicks, whereas Lee was consciously trying to use different techniques and develop a style of his own. For example, I like Warren DeMartini's playing to a point, but to me he's always been Van Halen-lite. Lee certainly wasn't that. However, I just never cared for the material on the Ultimate Sin album (more than half the reason I went to see the Ultimate Sin show was that Metallica was opening up for Ozzy). Lee was much better off going onto Badlands, as brief as that was, than continuing on with Ozzy.

In terms of studio stuff, I suppose I like Wylde the best. Yes, his pinched harmonic stuff gets irksome, but I do remember listening to Miracle Man on No Rest For The Wicked and being stunned at how great that tune was and thinking that THIS was the type of sound Ozzy should be pursuing, much more so than The Ultimate Sin-type of rock (although I'd probably fault Nevison's production as much as Lee's weak writing for the overall blandness of that album).

ELVIS
05-18-2013, 11:48 AM
I actually like most of the songs on Ultimate Sin...

It's just the lack of a real rhythm section combined with Jake's overly effected tone and Ozzy's uninspired droning that gets me...

ELVIS
05-18-2013, 11:52 AM
BTW, Ultimate Sin is the only song on the album credited to Lee...

ELVIS
05-18-2013, 11:54 AM
I really like this song a lot...

78/84 guy
05-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Scraps you make some good points for sure. And you always do ! But hell the first Van Halen album has more good songs on it than all of Ozzy's solo stuff. To me anyway. So he worked with lesser songs to a degree. And I guess you could argue those were still his licks to build the songs around. But the really good one's worked. Crazy Train, Flying High Again, and a few more. But Dave ( A genius ! ) did way more with Ed's music to create much better overall songs to my ears anyway. Hell Randy took the gig with Ozzy because Quiet Riot was going nowhere. He admitted he never liked Sabbath. He also admitted he ripped off some of Eddie's licks. And he hated doing it. So I would never put him on the Hendrix/ Van Halen level. They truly were guys that advanced guitar playing too a new level. But he was still an amazing player ! Way more than 90% of what followed him ! A few guys were good and had there own style, but the Van Halen clones were everywhere ! I think Randy did the most with the stuff he lifted from Ed. Just like Hendrix did the most with what he lifted from Albert King. And you are right. Ed might be a better player than Hendrix. His playing was/ is truly completely original. It's hard to hear his influences !

conmee
05-18-2013, 02:04 PM
The Ultimate Sin suffered from a number of issues already mentioned, but the production, especially the drums, was the worst, sounds like Castillo is beating a cardboard box, and the cymbals sound flat and don't ring out. Just listen to the title track. With a monster groove you're expecting the drums to kick you in the ass, instead it's thud thud thud tink. Imagine AVH or Tommy Lee type playing and any other producer and the album takes on a completely different and better sound. Also as for Ozzy, this is his first SOBER album ever or since! I'm not making excuses for US, I like most of the songs actually, even if Bob mailed in a lot of the lyrics, and Jake was probably thinking "Well, fuck! This gig is over with Oz in Betty Ford. Ok I'll write some material just in case, but this gig has turned into a drug addled cluster-fuck that makes Stephen Pearcy look like a fucking choirboy!" He said he quit RATT because of Stephen's drinking and drugs and general unpredictability... talk about going from frying pan to the fire with Ozzy... (P.S. I posted a pretty cool Guitar World interview with Jake from 1980s in the Badlands thread).

Anyhow agree with most of the comments, I will say while it was impressive of Brad to fill in the way he did, he was also playing with house money so to speak. He had Night Ranger in his back pocket and knew a record deal would be going down within the year, so he could play loose and free knowing his career wasn't dependent on having to write new material for Ozzy and following Randy's legacy proper. He came in loose, winged it like someone with no pressure and nothing to lose. Kudos to him.

And poor Bernie. He was on such short notice that he was using Randy's fucking pedals on stage and still being booked into hotel rooms under Randy's alias. There's a somewhat heart-wrenching interview he did talking about how dark and depressing those first shows were, everyone himself included on the verge of tears, etc. He definitely gets the Medal of Honor or Purple Heart for his stint.

Last point, look I'm no fan of the production, but you don't go back and re-record the fucking albums, especially BOO and DOAM!!!! I have the 1995 remasters thankfully, so I don't have to listen to what amounts to Sharon going in and fucking changing history because she didn't want to credit the original songwriters?!?! That's just fucking lame. Same reason no songs from US made the greatest hits double album. At minimum Killer of Giants should have made it... Never or Secret Loser wouldn't have been bad choices to include. And I still like Shot In The Dark, sort of Ozzy's "Jump" in that it is somewhat out of character for his genre but Jake's guitar on that song is pretty fucking cool and it's probably the most inspired singing on an otherwise uninspired (and sober!) Ozzy effort.

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

ELVIS
05-19-2013, 06:32 AM
BLizzard and Diary were restored to their original glory and beyond in 2010, BTW...

I have them on vinyl and CD as well as a new Blizzard picture disc vinyl...

conmee
05-19-2013, 02:38 PM
BLizzard and Diary were restored to their original glory and beyond in 2010, BTW...

I have them on vinyl and CD as well as a new Blizzard picture disc vinyl...

Thanks, Elvis. I actually DID NOT know that... Is there any change to writing credits in the liner notes? Are they any different from the 1995 remasters?

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

flappo
05-19-2013, 02:43 PM
i'm old school

jeff beck's last few albums show these younguns what it's all about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDNmFhDLqxI

ELVIS
05-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks, Elvis. I actually DID NOT know that... Is there any change to writing credits in the liner notes? Are they any different from the 1995 remasters?

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

Blizzard and Diary are spot on original right down to the Jet labels and inner sleeves...

The only differences are the additional tracks on Blizzard and the live Rhoads disc that comes with the CD version of Diary...

or you can still find this...

Terry
05-19-2013, 05:00 PM
BTW, Ultimate Sin is the only song on the album credited to Lee...

Now THAT's interesting, because I had been under the impression that Daisley had taken a sabbatical from working with/for Ozzy after BATM and sat The Ultimate Sin out.

I did quite like Killer Of Giants as well.

Terry
05-19-2013, 05:10 PM
The Ultimate Sin suffered from a number of issues already mentioned, but the production, especially the drums, was the worst, sounds like Castillo is beating a cardboard box, and the cymbals sound flat and don't ring out. Just listen to the title track. With a monster groove you're expecting the drums to kick you in the ass, instead it's thud thud thud tink. Imagine AVH or Tommy Lee type playing and any other producer and the album takes on a completely different and better sound. Also as for Ozzy, this is his first SOBER album ever or since! I'm not making excuses for US, I like most of the songs actually, even if Bob mailed in a lot of the lyrics, and Jake was probably thinking "Well, fuck! This gig is over with Oz in Betty Ford. Ok I'll write some material just in case, but this gig has turned into a drug addled cluster-fuck that makes Stephen Pearcy look like a fucking choirboy!" He said he quit RATT because of Stephen's drinking and drugs and general unpredictability... talk about going from frying pan to the fire with Ozzy... (P.S. I posted a pretty cool Guitar World interview with Jake from 1980s in the Badlands thread).

Anyhow agree with most of the comments, I will say while it was impressive of Brad to fill in the way he did, he was also playing with house money so to speak. He had Night Ranger in his back pocket and knew a record deal would be going down within the year, so he could play loose and free knowing his career wasn't dependent on having to write new material for Ozzy and following Randy's legacy proper. He came in loose, winged it like someone with no pressure and nothing to lose. Kudos to him.

And poor Bernie. He was on such short notice that he was using Randy's fucking pedals on stage and still being booked into hotel rooms under Randy's alias. There's a somewhat heart-wrenching interview he did talking about how dark and depressing those first shows were, everyone himself included on the verge of tears, etc. He definitely gets the Medal of Honor or Purple Heart for his stint.

Last point, look I'm no fan of the production, but you don't go back and re-record the fucking albums, especially BOO and DOAM!!!! I have the 1995 remasters thankfully, so I don't have to listen to what amounts to Sharon going in and fucking changing history because she didn't want to credit the original songwriters?!?! That's just fucking lame. Same reason no songs from US made the greatest hits double album. At minimum Killer of Giants should have made it... Never or Secret Loser wouldn't have been bad choices to include. And I still like Shot In The Dark, sort of Ozzy's "Jump" in that it is somewhat out of character for his genre but Jake's guitar on that song is pretty fucking cool and it's probably the most inspired singing on an otherwise uninspired (and sober!) Ozzy effort.

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

Regardless of the circumstances that enabled Gillis to play with Ozzy, or whatever his motivations were, strictly from an instrumental standpoint Gillis fuckin' BLAZED on that tour. While I wasn't thrilled with his career after Ozzy, I'll give credit where credit is due (not to imply you weren't).

Yeah...I'm just still not much of a fan of US, even on strictly a songwriting level...even less so when US is stacked up against or compared to the rest of Ozzy's output from 1980 to 1990. Even when putting the weak production and Ozzy's readily apparent lack of enthusiam evident in his bored singing when recording the vocals to one side. I'll say that Lee certainly gave a game effort in terms of HIS own level of enthusiasm when recording the guitar parts: I couldn't say that Lee phoned in his performances on that album like Ozzy did. However, I could also understand the choice not to include much of that material on any Ozzy Greatest Hits album.

ELVIS
05-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Now THAT's interesting, because I had been under the impression that Daisley had taken a sabbatical from working with/for Ozzy after BATM and sat The Ultimate Sin out.

I did quite like Killer Of Giants as well.

That album would have taken on a whole new life with Daisley and an exciting drummer playing on it...

ELVIS
05-19-2013, 08:13 PM
For the record, Shot in the Dark is quite a few notches above Jump...:biggrin:

Terry
05-19-2013, 09:07 PM
That album would have taken on a whole new life with Daisley and an exciting drummer playing on it...

Castillo wasn't a bad drummer, but I'd agree with conmee that the drums on that album sounded terrible and the actual drum parts were kinda pedestrian...I was actually surprised to hear Daisley had any type of participation on that album, because the songs and the lyrics were kinda bland.

I'd agree that had Daisley actually played on the album (thus increasing his level of activity beyond being once-removed/writing some tunes and leaving everything else to others) and had the drums been engineered properly the results would probably have been much better.

Terry
05-19-2013, 09:09 PM
For the record, Shot in the Dark is quite a few notches above Jump...:biggrin:

But similar in that Shot In The Dark, both musically and in terms of the video image ("Vegas" Ozzy) that made Osbourne more easily digested by a broader fanbase than would have usually listened to him, much like Jump did for Van Halen.

ELVIS
05-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Yeah...

But I don't turn Shot in the Dark off when it comes on the radio...:biggrin:

Seshmeister
05-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Jake was a brilliant live player.

I've posted this here before, solo at 3:10.

It took Zakk Wylde(Jeffrey Phillip Wielandt) about 15 years of playing with Ozzy before he could do the outro solo on Bark At the Moon.

Jake is the best of that lot by a mile although his writing(and solo's) on the Ultimate Sin was disappointing.

ELVIS
05-20-2013, 12:19 PM
He didn't write any o it except Ultimate Sin...

Jake was good but the best of that lot by a mile ??

Nah...

Seshmeister
05-20-2013, 12:25 PM
I don't think I saw much of Joe Holmes with Ozzy but he didn't impress me on the ALAE tour with Roth.

Brad Gillis was good and fun whammy bar stuff but I don't think he was in the same league as Jake.

As for writing in Ozzy there is a huge difference between getting a credit and actually doing it.

A lot of the stuff on the Ultimate Sin is very riffy and sounds like it was written by a guitarist to me.

Plus we all know Ozzy was at his lowest ebb of addictions at that point...

ELVIS
05-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Bob Daisley's comments are the most telling in these matters...

ELVIS
05-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Jake can't touch this...

jhale667
05-20-2013, 01:03 PM
As someone who saw Jake on the SOTD tour... oh yes he can, and did...

binnie
05-20-2013, 02:40 PM
I like Gillis's playing E, and I love the 'Speak...' record. I'm sure he's that distinctive, however - to these ears he was very much of his time where Jake/Zakk were different enough not to be.

Von Halen
05-20-2013, 04:25 PM
I voted for Gillis.

When I first heard the SOTD album, wow. So smooth. Killer tone. Dripping with soul.

I too saw Jake E. Lee on the SOTD tour. A couple of times. Jake was badass to say the least. But to me, he just didn't have the feel that Gillis seemed to be able to grasp.

I disagree with Commie. No pressure? Rhoads had just died. Gillis had massive pressure. It took big balls to step in on short notice for a dead guy that was casting a huge shadow, and he fucking nailed it.

conmee
05-20-2013, 04:55 PM
I voted for Gillis.

When I first heard the SOTD album, wow. So smooth. Killer tone. Dripping with soul.

I too saw Jake E. Lee on the SOTD tour. A couple of times. Jake was badass to say the least. But to me, he just didn't have the feel that Gillis seemed to be able to grasp.

I disagree with Commie. No pressure? Rhoads had just died. Gillis had massive pressure. It took big balls to step in on short notice for a dead guy that was casting a huge shadow, and he fucking nailed it.

Bro, that wasn't pressure. Gillis knew if he sucked or ruled it didn't matter. He already had a fall back plan. And he knew he wasn't going to continue on with Ozzy (Gillis' choice). Plus he came in AFTER Torme and figured he couldn't do any worse. I'm not disrespecting Gillis at all, I think he did a fabulous job, but you're over-emphasizing the pressure aspect. I think part of the reason Gillis sounds as good as he does, is he didn't FEEL any pressure. In fact, I'll let BRAD speak for himself, where he talks about being NERVOUS BECAUSE HE'S LEARNING ALL NEW MATERIAL AND PLAYING IN FRONT OF BIGGER CROWDS... being "scary" to be out in front of large crowds playing new material isn't the same as PRESSURE to follow in Randy's footsteps... not once does he ever mention PRESSURE to follow-up Randy... and I think it's because Brad is supremely confident in his capabilities and had Night Ranger on the back-burner. Compare what Brad says to Torme and Lee interviews where they specifically talk about the "pressure" to follow and play in the shadow of Randy, and I think it's obvious you are wrong again, my friend...

"Brad: When Night Ranger got together in 1980, we put together our demo with like five songs and we were trying to shop this demo and not having much luck. It was very time consuming with people trying to shop our new material. We did not want to play small clubs in the Bay Area. We wanted to hold off and get a record deal and go in big time like gangbusters with a new song on the radio. In that interim, I put together a band, the Alameda All Stars, and we were playing Ozzy tunes. When Randy’s tragic death occurred, two weeks later I got a call to go play with Ozzy and go to New York and finish the tour up. It was very exciting for me but very scary. I had never been in that type of situation where I was being thrown right into a headline situation where I had to learn all this intense material. I camped out in my hotel room for four days with a live cassette that Randy was on and the fifth night I played my first show, my first sold out Ozzy show in Binghamton, New York for like 7,000 people. It was very,very scary for me because I had never played with the band before and the only time I was able to play with the band was at the sound check the day of that first show. So we had gone on stage and it was very scary for me. After a few weeks, I started settling in and getting into the groove. And I remember doing a live broadcast from Memphis, Tennessee, King Biscuit Flower Hour, and our show was broadcast live throughout the US. I actually had a very good show that night, and after that I actually started relaxing in my position with Ozzy. It was a lot of intense touring. We were out for about 11 months total. Towards the end of the Ozzy tour, our bass player decided to leave Ozzy because his new band Quiet Riot had gotten a record deal. Rudy ended up leaving the band and about a month or two later, we got offered a record deal with Night Ranger. Being a side man with Ozzy, I felt in my heart that I would be more comfortable with Night Ranger because these were best friends of mine that I spent a couple years trying to get this project together and I was a full band member and not a side man. So I decided to quit Ozzy in the end and we had just recorded the live record Speak of the Devil with Ozzy with old Black Sabbath material and Night Ranger, we had our record Dawn Patrol finished in the can. When I re-joined Night Ranger, both records, Speak of the Devil from Ozzy and Night Ranger’s Dawn Patrol were released in the same week in early ’83. It was exciting I had two records charting at that time."

That is all.©®™

Icon©®™

conmee
05-20-2013, 05:08 PM
He didn't write any o it except Ultimate Sin...

Jake was good but the best of that lot by a mile ??

Nah...

Elvis,

If you're talking about Jake, he wrote at least half the tunes on BATM and Ultimate Sin (Jake had a dozen or so songs ready for US and he said "about half" made it to the album), Phil wrote Shot In The Dark. Who do you think was doing the writing while Ozzy was in Betty Ford? Also, Daisley begrudgingly wrote lyrics and some minor music for Ultimate Sin. In one of Bob's interviews he talks about "Secret Loser" being a bit sarcastic/ironic lyrics especially with Ozzy singing them. He also wrote the Ultimate Sin lyrics and joked about the fact that you still don't really know what the "ultimate sin" is because he never specified it (unless you go with the first verse "you took advantage of things that I said" being an "ultimate sin")... Of course, Bob became quite bitter in later years, so he talks about most of the lyrics he wrote as being somewhat inane and farcical... I think he'd actually take more pride in his work if Ozzy/Sharon would have given him legitimate writing credits.

I agree, I won't say Jake is better than all the rest "by a mile" but he's still my preferred...

That is all.©®™

Icon©®™

ELVIS
05-20-2013, 08:57 PM

Seshmeister
05-20-2013, 09:01 PM
I maybe overstated the by a mile thing a tad but I'm a big fan of Jake.

SOTD used to be my preferred way of listening to Sabbath songs for many years, I liked Gillis.

ELVIS
05-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Gillis and SOTD are dear to my heart...

To my ears Gillis could do it all...

On SOTD, I hear EVH, Malmsteen (and this is 1982, Pre-Malmsteen even!), Schenker and a host of other influences combined with one of the best musical whammy players ever...

When I was 15 or 16 I could nail quite a bit of SOTD and my playing is influenced to this day by the live spontaneous feel of Gillis' playing on that album...

I love it...

I've always liked Jake's contributions to Ozzy and I appreciate Jake even more now, but to my hears, Bradley is the shit...

:killer:

http://www.vandohalen.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ozzy-Osbourne-Brad-Gillis.jpg

binnie
05-21-2013, 02:59 PM
I really like Gillis, too. It's obvious I'm a Jake fan - I really think Badlands were unlucky.....

But I have to say that as much as I joke about Zakk, he is very dear to me. Although the biker schtick is now very tired, BLS was a breath of fresh air when it came out - big metal and ripping guitar in a world of nu metal cack. I would also say if he'd hired a singer, Pride & Glory could have been a really cool record - that been said, the solo at the end of 'Shine On' still takes the hair off my balls.....

jhale667
05-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Worst post-Randy Ozzy guitarist? Gus G.

binnie
05-21-2013, 03:38 PM

Yeah, although I like his playing in Firewind.

The irony is, however, that Gus may have played on the best post-Randy album, 'Scream'. It's close between that and BATM to my ears....

Zing!
05-21-2013, 03:40 PM

Never heard of him. Is he Ozzy's current hired gun?

binnie
05-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Never heard of him. Is he Ozzy's current hired gun?

Yes.

He is a shredder who made his name in powermetal band Firewind (much of their work is instrumental). He has only made one record with Ozzy ('Scream' - which is bitchin') although I'm not sure how involved he was in the writing. His interpretations of the older material is OK, not great - he copies Zakk copying Randy, if that makes any sense......

jhale667
05-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Yeah, although I like his playing in Firewind.

The irony is, however, that Gus may have played on the best post-Randy album, 'Scream'. It's close between that and BATM to my ears....

Played on it, yeah, but apparently Zakk wrote most of it... rumor is he played most of the rhythms, and they went back and edited some of the harmonic "pings" out of the tracks... and that Gus basically just came in and did solos.

jhale667
05-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Yes.

He is a shredder who made his name in powermetal band Firewind (much of their work is instrumental). He has only made one record with Ozzy ('Scream' - which is bitchin') although I'm not sure how involved he was in the writing. His interpretations of the older material is OK, not great - he copies Zakk copying Randy, if that makes any sense......

YES - and that is what is so frickin' annoying. Dude admits he hadn't even HEARD the Randy versions of the tunes when he got the gig, which is damn near blasphemous IMO.

Von Halen
05-23-2013, 07:09 PM
But I have to say that as much as I joke about Zakk, he is very dear to me. Although the biker schtick is now very tired, BLS was a breath of fresh air when it came out - big metal and ripping guitar in a world of nu metal cack. I would also say if he'd hired a singer, Pride & Glory could have been a really cool record - that been said, the solo at the end of 'Shine On' still takes the hair off my balls.....

Love Zakk! I don't give a fuck who pimps on him for the pinched harmonics! I love that shit!

Book Of Shadows is fucking STELLAR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binnie
05-23-2013, 07:14 PM
I think describing Book Of Shadows as 'stellar' is a bit much. It has moments and, like most of Zakk's work, would have benefitted immensely from his hiring a singer.

The problem Zakk faces is that he's been around too long - not only do you repeat yourself but it becomes impossible to surprise people, and familiarity breeds contempt.

DLR Bridge
05-23-2013, 07:28 PM
...and familiarity breeds contempt.

I've used that expression to describe what's been going on at this site in recent times.

I never really ever gave BLS a chance, but I will say that the riffs to No More Tears and Perry Mason are among my favorites of his. He does NJ proud in the world of geetar. Sambora can suck it. The Skid Row guys are OK.

Von Halen
05-23-2013, 07:32 PM
I think describing Book Of Shadows as 'stellar' is a bit much. It has moments and, like most of Zakk's work, would have benefitted immensely from his hiring a singer.

Bullshit Binnie! Book Of Shadows is pure genius, and an outside singer would have ruined it!

vandeleur
05-23-2013, 07:37 PM
I've used that expression to describe what's been going on at this site in recent times.

I never really ever gave BLS a chance, but I will say that the riffs to No More Tears and Perry Mason are among my favorites of his. He does NJ proud in the world of geetar. Sambora can suck it. The Skid Row guys are OK.

Those two riffs totally rock

binnie
05-23-2013, 07:49 PM

I'd say that Snake Sabo is underrated - there were some killer riffs on those Skid Row records.

Demon Alchohol and Miracle Man would be two other killer Zakk riffs. The first BLS record - 'Sonic Brew' - is very, very cool. 'The Blessed Hellride' is good too.

binnie
05-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Bullshit Binnie! Book Of Shadows is pure genius, and an outside singer would have ruined it!

Yes, a singer with range wold have been a disaster :D

It's a patchy record. To my ears, the best acoustic tune Zakk's done is 'Spoke In The Wheel' from the first BLS record.

DLR Bridge
05-23-2013, 08:02 PM
I'd say that Snake Sabo is underrated - there were some killer riffs on those Skid Row records.

Yeah, too bad he's shacked up with the wrong singer.

In between Bas and Solinger, they did a project called Ozone Monday. Great tunes on there with a much better singer but it fell in between the cracks when the singer quit.

Just like VH, Skid Row can't cut the mustard without their original front man.

binnie
05-24-2013, 04:32 AM
Just like VH, Skid Row can't cut the mustard without their original front man.

I'd agree - they were very close to a reunion last year but Rachel Bolan scuppered it. He hates Baz.

I think that Skid Row just lost their fire after 'Subhuman Race'. Bolan/Sabo were always a cut above their peers in terms of songwriting, but the records they've made with Solinger have been sketchy at best. I've not heard the new EP yet (it's in the mail), but I can't imagine it's great.

If it was done right - and managed right - a Skid Row reunion record/tour would be cool.

ELVIS
05-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Not to me...

Skid Row sucked from day one...

vandeleur
05-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Not a skid row fan , but after the split I seemed to see interviews with Bach and he came across as quite cool . He had that fan enthusiasm thing going on which I thought was good and he ain't a slouch as a singer.
Fuck it I confess as soon as he says he loved dave he became cool in my book .

DLR Bridge
05-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Not to me...

Skid Row sucked from day one...

I don't entirely disagree with that. Don't like the first CD. Only like a song or two on the second one. Third time was the charm for these guys. Subhuman Race was an effort from a band that finally figured themselves out. I recommend checking it out.

I had the opportunity to hang out with Snake and Scotti at Snakes house a couple of times. Two incredibly cool guys.

binnie
05-24-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm surprised that you guys don't like the first two CDs.

The debut was very much of its time, but I'd say it was more consistent and had far stronger hooks that what the other hair metal bands. 'Slave To The Grind' was/is a bitchin' metal record - much heavier, grittier than the first.

Maybe I'm nostalgic, they were one of the first bands to really hook me when I first got into music c.1990.....

ELVIS
05-24-2013, 11:27 AM
I never liked any hair metel...

binnie
05-24-2013, 12:03 PM
I had you pegged as a fan of Stryper :D

ELVIS
05-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Nope, they sucked too...

The following list is ELVIS music:

Van Halen

Ozzy

Hendrix

Malmsteen

SRV

Sabbath

Priest

Maiden

Slayer

Megadeth

Metallica

Alice Cooper

Maiden

Zeppelin

Metal Church

Kiss

Nugent

Beatles

Little Richard

Elvis

AC/DC

Janis Joplin

Skynyrd

Harry James

Rush

ZZ Top

Triumph

Jackson Five

Willie Nelson

Tammy Wynette

Unknown Hinson

Nirvana

Wings

Roy Orbison

Aerosmith

Dio

High On Fire

James Brown

And...

Ummm...

Stevie Wonder

John Denver

Neil Young

And David Lee Roth !!

That's it...

That's about everything I like off the top of my head...;)

ELVIS
05-24-2013, 10:27 PM
Oh, and James Taylor I like...

And Carole King...:biggrin:

ELVIS
05-24-2013, 10:29 PM
And Marty Robbins...

And Merle Haggard...

And Hank Williams...

ELVIS
05-24-2013, 10:33 PM
And Bill Hailey...did I spell that right ??

And Otis Redding...

And Leon Redbone...

And Wasp...

And Cinderella...

And Motley Crue...

But those bands were a few cuts above most hair bands...

But that's the cuntplete list of ELVIS music...

ELVIS
05-24-2013, 10:35 PM
For now...;)

Seshmeister
05-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Those two riffs totally rock

Bob Daisley wrote No More Tears.

Without Bob Daisley Ozzy wouldn't have a solo career because he wouldn't have any songs.

ELVIS
05-25-2013, 10:13 AM
And you'd be saying Jake who ??

binnie
05-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Without Bob Daisley Ozzy wouldn't have a solo career because he wouldn't have any songs.

Bob Daisey wrote the riff and bass line? I thought that was Zakk and Mike Inez, respectively?

Seshmeister
05-25-2013, 05:10 PM
And you'd be saying Jake who ??

Maybe but back when he got the gig with Ozzy he was a well known hot guitarist in LA so he would have ended up with a signed act, maybe Dio?

Seshmeister
05-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Bob Daisey wrote the riff and bass line? I thought that was Zakk and Mike Inez, respectively?

Yeah it's surprising isn't it.

http://www.bobdaisley.com/biography

When 1991 rolled around, Ozzy still had not come up with a permanent bassist. His former Sabbath sidekick Geezer Butler had toured with him on the previous tour, but had not committed to being a full-time member of the band. Once again, Bob Daisley got the call. Once again, he rose to the occasion. The Sony/Epic album No More Tears was released to brisk sales and universal acclaim. Along with Daisley, it featured the same band as on the previous album. Thanks to heavy MTV rotation, the video for "No More Tears" gave Ozzy his greatest exposure yet. This was reflected in platinum sales; album and single alike floated easily into the top 10.

http://www.savatage.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000130.html

The last album Daisley appeared on by Ozzy was No More Tears. In fact, that is Bob playing the opening notes to "No More Tears." Awesome!
- Jeb Wright April 2002

Seshmeister
05-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Jeb: After Ozzy's management treated you poorly, you came back to do Bark At The Moon. Why? Was it hard to do? Did you make any conditions to come back?

Bob: Fucking good question! The conditions I made to come back were to keep my distance. I said, “You just pay me for writing songs and pay me to play on it.” It was difficult. Nobody knew how Ozzy’s career was going to go at that time because Randy was dead. It was going to be a whole different ballgame. I think Jake E. Lee did a good job of filling Randy’s shoes. I think the album turned out very good. I was supposed to get bonuses when the sales reached a half a million and then a million but they fucked me on that. I didn’t get it.

Jeb: Your first gig since rejoining Ozzy was the US Festival. What was that day like?

Bob: It was fucking nerve racking. Out of the blue Ozzy says to me -- he knew I was coming back to write for Bark At The Moon -- and all the sudden Ozzy says, “Oh, we’ve got a big gig coming in a few days and I’ve just punched me bass player in the face.” That was the bass player who used to have a cheese grater on the back of his bass and he used to rub his knuckles on the back of the cheese grater to make them bleed while he played. Anyway, he had gone and Ozzy didn’t have a bass player. He called me in and I hadn’t played those songs since mid 1981 and this was mid 1983. I had two rehearsals to do the whole show, which consisted of the two albums worth of material and all of the Sabbath stuff. We went down to San Bernardino and I was standing on this stage in front of 400,000 people and Don Airey was getting all worried. He said, “Ozzy, this could all go wrong in front of all these people.” The only person to make a mistake that day was Don Airey. There was a magazine in LA called Bam that put a little article in it that said I was the hero of the day because I went back in to the band with only a couple rehearsals and did it note perfect. That was nice.

Jeb: Do you remember hanging with the Scorpions, Van Halen and the others that day? What was the backstage scene like at the Us Festival?

Bob: I remember hanging out a little bit with Van Halen. One of my daughters was a big fan of Van Halen and I got him to sign an autograph for her.

Jeb: Another newcomer you got to hear was Jake E. Lee. What was your impression of him? How did he handle the comparisons to Randy? Do you think they were fair?

Bob: I thought Jake was a great player. Ozzy has had other players who were a bit of a copy of Randy, either image wise or playing wise or “I used to be a pupil of Randy” or whatever. Jake E had his own style and his own sound. He didn’t play like Randy, although he did play the Randy stuff very well. He did an admirable job of filling Randy’s shoes.

Jeb: I interviewed Carmine Appiece and he told me that Sharon fired him because he was doing drum clinics on the road and that he was getting more press than Ozzy. True or just Appice thinking highly of himself?

Bob: I think it is partially true and it is partially Carmine thinking highly of himself. I was on that tour and Carmine used to sneak off and do drum clinics and sometimes come back a bit late for sound checks. Sometimes he would throw extra things into the songs that shouldn’t be there just to show his pupils that he gave free tickets to after doing the clinics. He got a little carried away with himself but it was wrong for Ozzy and Sharon to get rid of him because he had a contract to do that tour. They should have ironed out the problems but what do they do? They get rid of him and bring Tommy Aldridge back and I think it was a mistake. Carmine sued them and he won.

Jeb: Jim Dandy told me that Tommy Aldridge is the best concert drummer money can buy but he said that he is horrible in the studio because he does not know how to tune his drums. What is your reaction to this statement?
Bob: I would not say that Tommy is horrible in the studio. I would say that he does not shine in the studio. Where he does shine is live. He is a very good live drummer. He loses his inhibitions when he is on the stage playing live and I think he gains inhibitions when he is playing live in the studio. That is my analysis of it. He is a great guy and a lovely bloke. We got along great and we had a lot of laughs. He is a great drummer live but I didn’t really like what he did in the studio.

Jeb: Yet another young guitar player came your way in Zakk Wylde. Where did he come from? I read an interview where he said he was Ozzy's drug dealer.

Bob: (Laughing) I don’t know where he came from. Ozzy had Zakk when he called me back to work on the No Rest For The Wicked album. I like Zakk. He is a great player.

Jeb: Is that you on the intro to "No More Tears?" What was that album like to work on?

Bob: Yeah that is me on the whole album. By the way, that is me on the whole Black Sabbath Eternal Idol album. Dave Spitz got a credit saying that he played some of the bass parts but he didn’t do any of it. The same thing happened on No More Tears. Mike Inez got credit as playing some bass on it but he didn’t do any of it. That was a great album to do and I had great fun doing it. I got involved with the lyrics but they didn’t use them. They used my lyrics to inspire other lyrics to be written.

Jeb: I have read where Zakk has said in interviews that he remembers Mike Inez starting that song off in the studio. Now you are telling me that you played it on the record. How can that be?

Bob: Mike was Ozzy's bass player at the time. I got a call from Ozzy and he said he was having problems getting the songs recorded and he asked me to come down and give it a try. I played on the whole album. The songs, including No More Tears, were already written when I got called in. Mike Inez used to come and watch me play in the studio. I found him to be a very friendly guy. I think what Zakk was talking about was playing the song in the studio with Mike Inez. To give credit where credit is due, Mike had the idea of starting the song with the bass and he had an intro that he had written. I changed it around a bit when I came in. On the credits of the album that is why I am credited as the bass player. Mike is credited as having bass inspirations.

Jeb: Let’s talk about some of the songs. “Mama I'm Coming Home”

Bob: I remember I used a fretless bass on that. I enjoyed that one and it was fun to do.

Jeb: “Mr. Tinkertrain”

Bob: That was about a pedophile or something. Fuck knows where that came from.

Jeb: “No More Tears”

Bob: That was a fun one. The middle section John St. Claire wrote. It was kind of like the Beatles and I liked it.

Jeb: This was the last Ozzy album you worked on. Why?

Bob: I was actually asked to come in and work on another one. In 1994 Ozzy got hooked up with Steve Vai. Steve came in and played guitar and co-wrote everything with Ozzy. They were looking for bass players who sounded like me. Steve Vai said, “Ozzy, why don’t just get Bob Daisley to come in?” So they got me in. We started in Steve’s studio in LA and then we went to CBS studios to write and rehearse but it wasn’t really working out between Ozzy and
Steve. Instead of firing him and doing it the right way and saying, “Steve, it is not working out” Sharon came in and said, “Sony has pulled the plug on the project. There is no album to be done.” I thought what a load of bullshit. Deen Castranova said to me, “Oh fuck” and he got all depressed. I said, “Deen, don’t worry. We will hear from them in a couple of days. This is just a ploy to get rid of Steve Vai.” The phone call came a couple of days later and that is when they started talking to Zakk. They kept me hanging around for months as I was supposed to do the album. They changed their mind again and got Geezer Butler in to do it. I thought, “Oh fuck, thanks a lot.” I said, “Hey Sharon, how about a cancellation fee?” I had already had five grand up front and she said, “I will give you another five grand. That is a $10,000 cancellation fee.” They never ever paid me that other five grand, those cocksuckers.

Jeb: Sony/Epic has re-released Diary Of A Madman and Blizzard Of Oz. I have heard that they recorded over your parts and Lee Kerslake's parts. Why?

Bob: It is because we have been suing them for the last four and a half years for royalties that we have not received on Blizzard and Diary. We are also suing them for credits that we didn’t receive on Diary. Now they have gotten so pissed off because we are suing them that they are saying that we are harassing their family. We have had no contact with them. Our lawyers contact their lawyers and that is it. They are going to remove us from the album because of that. It is as simple as that. My reaction is that it is a fucking disgrace. They should not slander the memory of Randy Rhoads by putting his playing with two guys that Randy had no say in because he is dead. They have ruined a product. It is a slander towards the fans that have helped put him there. It is a finger up to them. It is that to us as well but we expect it. To do it to his own fans and his own product that has been consistently selling for 20 years? He is an idiot. Whether Ozzy did it or not I don’t know but he would have had to have given his consent.

Jeb: Is there any legal action that you can take to stop this?

Bob: I don’t really know. We have the lawsuit going on but I can’t really comment on that without talking to the lawyers.

Jeb: Whose fault do you perceive this to be? Ozzy? Sharon? Record Execs? What is their reasoning?

Bob: I really don’t know. I wouldn’t like to comment on that either. Ozzy would have had to give his consent. Whether it is he and Sharon together who knows? If it is more him or more her I don’t know. I can’t understand why the record company would do it. They are fucking mental. The product has been consistently selling for 20 years and they go and change it? That is dumb.

Jeb: Do you have any resentment to Ozzy about this or is this beyond his control?

Bob: It is not totally out of his control. I would imagine that he would have had to go into the studio to redo it.

jhale667
05-25-2013, 05:24 PM

The original idea and bulk of it was written by Mike Inez.

ELVIS
05-25-2013, 05:31 PM
And there was some other guy in the Beatles too...

But looking back, No More Tears is a really good album...

Terry
05-26-2013, 06:28 PM
It had definitely been the case for me over the years that the more I read about how the Sabbath/Ozzy solo albums were actually created in terms of composition and the tremendous amounts of 'assistance' Osbourne received from Butler and Daisley in terms of lyrics, the less impressive Osbourne himself has become...to the point where his presence and vocal style is almost something to be tolerated rather than celebrated: he's not much of singer, never has been, and when I do listen to material he has sung on I'm kind of blocking out his vocals in order to concentrate on the instrumentation.

He's more of a doddering old clown to me these days than anything else, and I can't say that his participation in the latest Black Sabbath reunion is a focal point of anticipation for me - I'm more interested in what Tony, Geezer and the new drummer will be doing than anything else.

ashstralia
05-26-2013, 07:07 PM
fuck terry, could ya nail it down harder? :biggrin:

for mine, the greatest ozzy moment is the song 'no more tears' from the album of the same name.
from the opening bass riff, that fucking thing smokes. apart from that; i find zakk underwhelming.

i'll go with jake.

DLR Bridge
05-26-2013, 07:12 PM
I had no idea how little Ozzy had to do with the lyrics to his own songs until this thread came along. I won't hold that against him too much, cuntsidering Sinatra and Presley barely ever lifted a pen, if at all. I just thought Ozzy had a 70's rock singers angst and depth that he'd have personal ideas to put forth. Like Terry said, the allure to much of his music is the band that carries his ass on their shoulders.

DLR Bridge
05-26-2013, 07:19 PM
...But that's the cuntplete list of ELVIS music...

Can you make me a Wasp/John Denver mix tape? :biggrin:

78/84 guy
05-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Can you make me a Wasp/John Denver mix tape? :biggrin:

Yea Elvis after reading that list you might want too give some of the 80's bands a chance. Some of that stuff is decent. Just because they wore hair spray doesn't me they couldn't write a few good tunes. John Denver ??!! Give me a break ! Go get yourself a few Tesla cds or something.

ELVIS
05-27-2013, 12:46 PM
This is a good song...

jhale667
05-27-2013, 12:47 PM
For the record, Gillis is the original reason I wanted a Mesa-Boogie. His tone on SOTD rules (two MK II C+'s in stereo). It's amazing. But as a player, if you take away the bar (which he is indeed quite inventive with, stole a lot from him, lol) Jake is the best player of the lot besides Randy IMO. Not to take anything away from Zakk either, but Jake is the man post-Randy.

Oh, here's another Randy shot that's surfaced allegedly from the DOAM show I was at:

binnie
05-27-2013, 01:21 PM
And there was some other guy in the Beatles too...

But looking back, No More Tears is a really good album...

I dunno, I think it's a step down from 'No Rest....'.

It felt like a 'hear the hits' record with outside songwriters etc. Almost an 'Ozzy does Aerosmith/ Bon Jovi'.......

Terry
05-27-2013, 04:44 PM
the allure to much of his music is the band that carries his ass on their shoulders.

While I couldn't imagine anyone other than Osbourne singing on all those classic Sabbath albums and the best of Ozzy's solo years, Osbourne was (without a doubt) consistently outshone by those he performed with.

Matt White
05-27-2013, 05:14 PM
OZZY's singing on those first 6 SABBATH recordings are top notch......Ritchie Blackmore said Ozzy might have the "most appealing voice in rock history"....which is an overstatement, but close......OZZY singing SABBATH is PURE MAGIC

ELVIS
05-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Why does Tommy Cleftoes keep reaching up ??

Terry
05-27-2013, 07:21 PM
OZZY's singing on those first 6 SABBATH recordings are top notch......Ritchie Blackmore said Ozzy might have the "most appealing voice in rock history"....which is an overstatement, but close......OZZY singing SABBATH is PURE MAGIC

I'd have to imagine Blackmore was being somewhat sarcastic when he made that remark...

I would say that Ozzy's voice fit well with the material Sabbath was doing, and fit well with the music on his solo albums: it worked, and that's all that matters in the end.

I'd say Ozzy was more of a distinctive singer than a particularly good one, but oftentimes it's the distinctive rock singers that make their mark more so than technically brilliant ones.

chefcraig
05-27-2013, 07:28 PM
http://www.daily-tits.com/
I'd have to imagine Blackmore was being somewhat sarcastic when he made that remark...

Agreed. Around the time of VH's "Right Now" single, Blackmore also said that EVH would be the next Cole Porter.

Terry
05-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Blackmore did once say about Eddie that [Blackmore] admired Eddie's ability to play so much "off the wall" stuff, guitar-wise. This was around 1983/1984 or so.

A few years later, Blackmore noted that Van Halen had been moving away from guitar theatrics and focusing on songs, and that it was the songs that would endure. Blackmore also noted that whatever his feelings of general boredom regarding Smoke On The Water (that it was far from his own personal favorite DP tune and he was bored shitless with playing it live), it was an anthemic tune that resonated with a lot of people...and that artists often don't have any control over what their audiences end up liking.

Matt White
05-27-2013, 10:35 PM

I would say that Ozzy's voice fit well with the material Sabbath was doing, and fit well with the music on his solo albums: it worked, and that's all that matters in the end.

I'd say Ozzy was more of a distinctive singer than a particularly good one, but oftentimes it's the distinctive rock singers that make their mark more so than technically brilliant ones.

Given that he worked with Gillian, I think he was serious.
Ozzy has a very distinct "weirdness" to his vocals...very few people have ever tried to sing like him....he totally fit the "creepy vibe" of those groundbreaking recordings...SABBATH wouldn't have had the same impact without him...which is probably why they put up with him for so long

DLR Bridge
05-27-2013, 11:21 PM
In Rock and Roll, I feel there is a fine line between "distinct weirdness" and sounding like a disgruntled Muppet that lives in a steel garbage can. Both Ozzy and Alice Cooper have the propensity to gravitate towards a voice that best suits their macabre personas. Their better vocal performances, to me atleast, arrive when they drop their dark-character voices.

Terry
05-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Given that he worked with Gillian, I think he was serious.
Ozzy has a very distinct "weirdness" to his vocals...very few people have ever tried to sing like him....he totally fit the "creepy vibe" of those groundbreaking recordings...SABBATH wouldn't have had the same impact without him...which is probably why they put up with him for so long

To his credit, Osbourne doesn't sound like anyone else, nor has he ever sounded like he's tried to copy anyone else...and as I said, I couldn't imagine anyone else other than Ozzy singing that early Sabbath material (when Live Evil came out, hearing Dio singing Paranoid = not so good, and Dio is easily a more accomplished vocalist - even in the condition he's in right now - than Ozzy could ever hope to be). Gillan did a great job on War Pigs and the like live in 1983, but Ozzy's voice is just stamped all over that stuff. It's just that Ozzy has a fairly weak voice without any real range to speak of.

But whatever. Like Ozzy gives two shits about what some blogging jagoff on a Roth internet site thinks when he's about to go out on the road with Sabbath and make a bundle, right?

jhale667
06-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Hmm... looks like Charvel's released a Jake sig/Tribute guitar in Japan.

http://youtu.be/gdcAXTOESbQ

:guitar:

Karma86
06-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Zack would be my vote. I like the guys attitude and he has great skill. I like his sound. Randy was the man though to bad his career was cut short the talent that guy had was one of the best I've ever heard. He could have really gone far.

Seshmeister
06-28-2013, 08:06 AM
To be fair he went far enough that everyone is still talking about him and if you go into a guitar store there is every chance a 16 year old kid will start playing Crazy Train.

Terry
06-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Saw Jake on That Metal Show, and when asked how he felt about not having any songwriting credits on the current Bark At The Moon reissues, Lee said he'd like to be credited on the album because he and Daisley wrote all those tunes. Lee and the rest of the audience had a laugh about Ozzy being the sole writer credited for all the songs on the album, as if Ozzy actually sat down with a guitar, pen and paper and wrote any of the tunes.

jhale667
06-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Saw Jake on That Metal Show, and when asked how he felt about not having any songwriting credits on the current Bark At The Moon reissues, Lee said he'd like to be credited on the album because he and Daisley wrote all those tunes. Lee and the rest of the audience had a laugh about Ozzy being the sole writer credited for all the songs on the album, as if Ozzy actually sat down with a guitar, pen and paper and wrote any of the tunes.

That Metal Show

http://www.vh1.com/video/that-metal-show/full-episodes/jake-e-lee-rick-allen/1709444/playlist.jhtml?xrs=share_copy

Karma86
06-28-2013, 06:33 PM
very true very true!

binnie
02-09-2014, 06:46 AM
Bump!

78/84 guy
02-09-2014, 01:37 PM
To bad Jakes new album is a bore fest ! I liked some of it but I give it a fail overall. Badlands destroys it. Love those 3 albums.

binnie
02-09-2014, 02:18 PM
I'll review the new Jake record at some point.

It's certainly flawed.......

78/84 guy
02-09-2014, 02:30 PM
I was disappointed with it. I thought it would be interesting with the different singers but he just doesn't pull off enough guitar for me. I thought it would be like George Lynchs solo album but it comes up short for me. I expected more form a guy that good who hasn't done shit for years. He said he had a lot of ideas built up but I don't hear them. I liked half of it.

binnie
02-11-2014, 03:27 PM
I think the problem is trying to make parts of it sound contemporary, which was always going to fail.

GreenBayLA
05-16-2014, 06:18 PM
My vote is Bernie Torme cuz Ozzy kicked him in the balls while onstage. Next!

Terry
02-26-2015, 10:27 PM
To bad Jakes new album is a bore fest ! I liked some of it but I give it a fail overall. Badlands destroys it. Love those 3 albums.

Yeah, Lee's new stuff is a bit mundane. I enjoyed what he did on Bark At The Moon. Parts of The Ultimate Sin were okay (I'm really not too fond of that album, truth be told). I liked the first Badlands album. Not quite as much for Voodoo Highway.

Checked out 3 tracks off of Lee's new album, Red Dragon Cartel or whatever the fuck it's called. I think it's called Jake E. Lee's Red Dragon Cartel. It was just underwhelming. Basically, it could have been any anonymous contemporary metal band named Red Dragon Cartel for all the impact the tunes had on me. Like, if titling the band Jake E. Lee's Red Dragon Cartel was supposed to be a calling card or have some drawing power, I can't imagine anybody who had been awaiting Lee's return was particularly bowled over by the new material.

Seshmeister
02-26-2015, 10:41 PM
I bought tickets for their UK tour here last year, $50 or so but they cancelled near to the date. There was an excuse given but it was really due to poor ticket sales only 60 sold at a 500 capacity venue.

It's a shame I would have liked to have seen Jake play live again after all these years.

binnie
02-27-2015, 05:01 AM
Yeah, Lee's new stuff is a bit mundane. I enjoyed what he did on Bark At The Moon. Parts of The Ultimate Sin were okay (I'm really not too fond of that album, truth be told). I liked the first Badlands album. Not quite as much for Voodoo Highway.

Checked out 3 tracks off of Lee's new album, Red Dragon Cartel or whatever the fuck it's called. I think it's called Jake E. Lee's Red Dragon Cartel. It was just underwhelming. Basically, it could have been any anonymous contemporary metal band named Red Dragon Cartel for all the impact the tunes had on me. Like, if titling the band Jake E. Lee's Red Dragon Cartel was supposed to be a calling card or have some drawing power, I can't imagine anybody who had been awaiting Lee's return was particularly bowled over by the new material.

Yeah, it was an underwhelming record. Most guitar-player goes solo records have the problem of being widdle-fests - this one was the opposite: Jake was almost anonymous on it!

ELVIS
02-27-2015, 09:51 AM
It's a shame I would have liked to have seen Jake play live again after all these years.

:afro2:

ELVIS
02-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Hahahaha...

Listen to this shit...

Seshmeister
02-27-2015, 10:53 AM
:afro2:

Jake still using EVH amps I see.

Never a great song that although better without Ozzy singing it live. Ozzy used to struggle horribly with it.

Seshmeister
02-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Hahahaha...

Listen to this shit...

Oof bad day at the office there.

ELVIS
02-27-2015, 11:21 AM
The old bass player really sucked...

The new guy is much better...

redozzman
02-27-2015, 12:23 PM
shitty amp! LOL more so than the playing. Players get lazy playing those highgain amps. makes it to easy to play!

Nitro Express
02-27-2015, 12:31 PM
You listen to some of the old recordings where players are using low gain amps ran up with maybe a distortion or fuzz on the front end and they sound great. I know running those old amps that way was not as reliable as a modern high gain amp but you just can't get the sound in the pre-amp. There's just something going on with those power tubes, the transformers, and the speakers.

I used to play through a silver faced Fender Champ. I think I learned how to use my fingers more playing through something like that more than I would a high gain amp. I wish I still had that old 70's Champ amp but I have a modded Ephipone amp that sounds pretty sweet. I run it pretty hard and then run the output through a Weber power soak. Sometimes I will load the front with an OCD distortion box. It's a pretty sweet sounding rig.

Seshmeister
02-27-2015, 12:38 PM
shitty amp! LOL more so than the playing. Players get lazy playing those highgain amps. makes it to easy to play!

It's not a shitty amp, it's just set to the sound that Jake likes.

His taste in tone has always been a little suspect IMHO...