PDA

View Full Version : The Queen Thread

Nickdfresh
05-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Is Freddie Mercury the best pure rock vocalist ever? I think so. There's not an actual Queen thread here I can find, so let's post some stuff from Montreal 1981, and wish Van Halen would release some proshot from that year:

Click on the Vid or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwlqHUIF5uA&list=PL3D665061FC208A5F to get the full song list...

Nickdfresh
05-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Actually, besides Freddie, they were all great musicians and Brian May is a brilliant guitarist. The best version of "Love of My Life" I've heard:

ELVIS
05-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Queen were good and Freddie could sing just fine, but their great songs are few in my opinion, and their hits have really been run into the ground...

I'd say they're overrated...

For the best pure rock vocalist award, I'd have to go with Dio...

:elvis:

Nickdfresh
05-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Queen were good and Freddie could sing just fine, but their great songs are few in my opinion, and their hits have really been run into the ground ...

I don't disagree they had some difficulties writing new material, but I think they hit a wall at just the wrong time and concentrated on touring South America where they were huge rather than trying to cater to the switching tastes of Europe and North America. Then Freddie got sick just as they were sort of reborn after Live Aid in 1985. If he hadn't gotten the HIV, I think they might have reinvented themselves a bit in the late 1980s...

envy_me
05-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Freddie IS the best vocalist in rock. He and Dave are the best frontmen in music.

ELVIS
05-18-2013, 12:19 PM
If he hadn't gotten the HIV, I think they might have reinvented themselves a bit in the late 1980s...

Probably not in a good way...

ELVIS
05-18-2013, 12:22 PM
This is the Queen era I like...

:killer:

Coyote
05-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Allegedly, the only band to actually take Live Aid seriously (practice-wise)

ELVIS
05-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Is Dave Roth reading this ??

Coyote
05-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Rough sound...

Coyote
05-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Is Freddie Mercury the best pure rock vocalist ever? I think so.

And here's the proof:

78/84 guy
05-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Probably not in a good way...

The keyboards ruined them ! They got soft ! Sound like any other band we know ? I have a live Queen cd from 79 that is really good. Live Killer, I think it's called. Not great sound but a good show. That Montreal dvd is Queen at their best.

Jack68
05-18-2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZpEekF1OlI

I think he is the greatest frontman of all time,he could do it all.

FORD
05-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Queen still turned in some amazing live gigs in the early to mid-80s, before Freddie's health made it impossible to continue. But as far as their records go, give me the 70s stuff. Yeah, there were moments of greatness here and there, but as far as an album you can put on and play all the way through, I'll stick with "The Crown Jewels".

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4767/kowerek1pg3.jpg

Nitro Express
05-18-2013, 03:24 PM
The keyboards ruined them ! They got soft ! Sound like any other band we know ? I have a live Queen cd from 79 that is really good. Live Killer, I think it's called. Not great sound but a good show. That Montreal dvd is Queen at their best.

Lives Killers. I still have the LP of it. Agreed. Queen was the best in the 70's.

FORD
05-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Pat Robertson might have called Freddie a "godless Sodomite", but he wrote one of the greatest "Christian rock" songs ever........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmUm2iBHkgI

twonabomber
05-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Allegedly, the only band to actually take Live Aid seriously (practice-wise)

Queen KILLED it that day.

There were some standout performances that day...I really liked U2's Bad, and Bowie's Heroes...but Queen had the best overall set.

I was sitting out at the pool listening on my boombox, and would run in the house to change tapes on the ol' Betamax. Watched most of the show later, while Queen was good on the radio the video showed the work they put into the set.

DLR Bridge
05-18-2013, 06:11 PM
I love all eras of Queen. This song has such a bitch ass groove. The casual Queen fan of the time probably hated it, but to me, this buries Dust.

http://youtu.be/YWraQkaUCDM

twonabomber
05-18-2013, 07:25 PM
The Game was one of the first records I bought. Liked Don't Try Suicide, too.

DLR Bridge
05-18-2013, 07:30 PM
"Nobody gives a daaaaamn." Play The Game is a great song, too!

Coyote
05-18-2013, 07:57 PM
As far as "Hot Space" goes...

It has some good stuff on it. And I'll go as far as putting up one of the "dance" tracks against pretty much any contemporary poptrack.
(especially the ones featuring that Pitbull character)

Yes, even this one.

Or this:

Although, some tracks are vastly improved via mashups:

DLR Bridge
05-18-2013, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=Coyote;1774369]As far as "Hot Space" goes...

It has some good stuff on it. QUOTE]

Shit Yeah....

http://youtu.be/iFF8Mm2aQxc

I remember reading an interview with Nuno where he said Hot Space was his favorite Queen album. He appreciated how Brian May remained relatively minimalist for such an amazing guitarist. I'm paraphrasing (cuz I'm drunk) but he said something to the effect that 'the silence on that album speaks volumes.'

Coyote
05-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Let's go vocals only for a while...

And, of course...

Nitro Express
05-19-2013, 12:49 AM
I first saw this wasted out of my mind. LOL! I was going "What the hell?"

Jack68
05-19-2013, 08:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfsN1xGdzBM

Innuendo is a great song.Some great songs on that album also.

Nickdfresh
05-19-2013, 10:13 AM
This one drastically increases my cardio rate at the gym when it pops on the iPud...

flappo
05-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Queen were good and Freddie could sing just fine, but their great songs are few in my opinion, and their hits have really been run into the ground...

lol , stop trolling

that's why queen had three greatest hits albums and dio had err.. none ?

the first greatest hits is still the top amount of weeks in the charts for any album in the uk - beating even the beatles

live aid - stole the show vs led zep reformed , u2 & the who - overrated ??

flappo
05-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Freddie IS the best vocalist in rock. He and Dave are the best frontmen in music.

agree 100%

keep this up and i may take you off my ignore list j/k

flappo
05-19-2013, 10:38 AM
some stuff you may not have heard from the miracle ( 1989 ) arguably their best album of the 80's imo

yngwie malmsteen raved over it !!!! ( elvis will appreciate that i'm sure )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rOYToPfWPA

flappo
05-19-2013, 10:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Sb7RMyEDM

amazing video this one - music's grate too

flappo
05-19-2013, 10:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pm4fQRl72k

cadaverdog
05-19-2013, 10:46 AM

I'll go with Rob Halford. I heard some recent Priest in concert stuff and his voice is as strong as ever. Diamonds and Rust!!

Nickdfresh
05-19-2013, 10:54 AM
I'll go with Rob Halford. I heard some recent Priest in concert stuff and his voice is as strong as ever. Diamonds and Rust!!

Nah, Rob couldn't quite bring it live like Freddie could. Jesus, I think he actually sings better live than he did on the albums a lot of time because his voice sounds better a bit unpolished. Roger Taylor was no slouch either in the backing vocals dept...

cadaverdog
05-19-2013, 11:00 AM

I had a couple Queen albums in the seventies. Three actually, Night, Day, and News of the World. Each had good songs but they had some less than stellar, odd songs too. News was probably their most radio friendly album. Almost every song got lots of airplay. But the other two are much better. My fave tune would be "Tie Your Mother Down". Surprised it hasn't been mentioned. I like the Fast version of "We Will Rock You" too.

cadaverdog
05-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Nah, Rob couldn't quite bring it live like Freddie could. Jesus, I think he actually sings better live than he did on the albums a lot of time because his voice sounds better a bit unpolished. Roger Taylor was no slouch either in the backing vocals dept...
Freddie had major talent, no doubt. I wonder if he could still sing if he was still alive. I heard Elton John and Rush do some live stuff on tv recently. Elton and Geddy have lost their voices.

78/84 guy
05-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Queen still turned in some amazing live gigs in the early to mid-80s, before Freddie's health made it impossible to continue. But as far as their records go, give me the 70s stuff. Yeah, there were moments of greatness here and there, but as far as an album you can put on and play all the way through, I'll stick with "The Crown Jewels".

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4767/kowerek1pg3.jpg

It's all you need. They were turning into a ballad pop band the last few years.

78/84 guy
05-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Freddie had major talent, no doubt. I wonder if he could still sing if he was still alive. I heard Elton John and Rush do some live stuff on tv recently. Elton and Geddy have lost their voices.

Getty lost his years ago. Rush should do a tour of just the instrumental stuff. Maybe throw in Tom Sawyer & a few more popular vocal songs. That I would go see ! Otherwise I am done with them live.

Angel
05-19-2013, 11:59 AM
keep this up and i may take you off my ignore list j/k

Good thing j/k. Thought you were turning into a masochist. ;)

envy_me
05-19-2013, 12:42 PM
This thread sucks when surfing from the phone. My internet has been down for 2 days, it feels like I'm STILL living in Eastern Europe :biggrin:
I hope I'll see all the vids and post some of my own tomorrow.

flappo
05-19-2013, 02:32 PM
personally i can't wait

by own , i presume you mean 'tits out sunbathing'

:D

envy_me
05-19-2013, 04:05 PM
I thought this was the gap week :D

conmee
05-19-2013, 04:17 PM
lol , stop trolling

that's why queen had three greatest hits albums and dio had err.. none ?

the first greatest hits is still the top amount of weeks in the charts for any album in the uk - beating even the beatles

live aid - stole the show vs led zep reformed , u2 & the who - overrated ??

Actually, Dio does have a greatest hits album... The Very Beast Of Dio... And last year The Very Beast Of Dio Vol 2 was released.

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

flappo
05-19-2013, 04:25 PM
i'm sure they've all had much more impact on the world than bohemian rhapsody

not

envy_me
05-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Dio might be technically good but so is Freddie. Plus that Freddies singing is more tasteful. That combo makes him the best.
Not to mention that he is superior frontman to all others. Only competition he has is by DLR.

envy_me
05-19-2013, 04:31 PM
i'm sure they've all had much more impact on the world than bohemian rhapsody

not

Exactly. Queen was so innovative. I mean these guys weren't the typical rockers. They were pretty much academics, which brings everything they made to a new level.