PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella-Gate: More Republican Hypocrisy

Va Beach VH Fan
05-18-2013, 11:10 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-puts-marines-on-umbrella-duty-irking-conservatives/2013/05/17/cad75a5a-bf0f-11e2-97d4-a479289a31f9_story.html

Obama puts Marines on umbrella duty, irking conservatives

By Rachel Weiner, Published: May 17

Slogging through a drizzly Rose Garden news conference Thursday with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, President Obama took a break to ask for some rain protection.

“I am going to go ahead and ask folks, why don’t we get a couple of Marines — they’re going to look good next to us — just because I’ve got a change of suits but I don’t know about our prime minister,” he said as two Marines appeared at the lecterns with umbrellas. “There we go. That’s good.” He gestured to the soggy press corps, adding, “You guys I’m sorry about.”

It was a lighthearted moment in the midst of a grim few days for the White House. But in a week of Benghazi e-mails, Justice Department subpoenas and Internal Revenue Service targeting, some of the administration’s critics saw another example of overreach.

“Obama breaches Marine umbrella protocol,” read the headline on one conservative blog.

Per Marine Corps uniform regulations, the men are not allowed to carry or use umbrellas while in uniform. Female Marines can carry “an all-black, plain standard, or collapsible umbrella at their option during inclement weather” but not with combat uniforms.

All of which means that when Marines stand sentry outside the White House, they often get wet.

“Marines are always out getting rained on. That’s sort of what we do,” said Capt. Eric Flanagan, a Marines spokesman. A request from the president to a Marine who serves at the White House, however, would be an “extenuating circumstance,” he said.

Flanagan also pointed to Title 10 of the U.S. Code, which states that members of the Marine Corps shall “perform such other duties as the President may direct.”

In this case, Obama had clearly directed the Marines to be ready with umbrellas if necessary.

The same umbrella rules hold true for the Army; in the Navy and Air Force, all service members can carry an umbrella when not in field uniform.

Neither Flanagan nor an Army spokesman could explain the reasoning behind the gender divide. An attempt to change the policy in the 1990s failed, with some suggesting that there was something effeminate about umbrellas.

“They seem to be very nervous what constitutes unmanly behavior,” said Cynthia Enloe, a professor at Clark University who researched military uniform codes in the book “Maneuvers: The International Politics of Militarizing Women’s Lives.”

Seeing a trained Marine holding the president’s umbrella just rubs some observers the wrong way.

“Obama expects our troops to hold damn umbrellas rather than go inside: It’s disrespectful, inconsiderate, classless,” tweeted Lou Dobbs.

“Mr. President, when it rains it pours, but most Americans hold their own umbrellas,” former Alaska governor Sarah Palin addedon Facebook.

Of course, Palin has been known to employ her own umbrella-holders, as have several other presidents — including Ronald Reagan.

The conservative Move America Forward PAC likened the umbrella-holding to what conservatives view as Obama’s weak response to September’s attack in Benghazi, Libya. A fundraising e-mail from the group read, “Rain: ‘Hold My Umbrella.’ Benghazi: ‘Stand Down.’ ”

Perhaps Obama could have turned to a member of the Secret Service instead. Are they allowed to carry umbrellas?

“This falls under our methods and means information, which we don’t discuss,” Secret Service spokesman Edwin M. Donovan said.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Um, oops....

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/ferr3816/umbrella_zpsd2dfa420.jpg (http://s85.photobucket.com/user/ferr3816/media/umbrella_zpsd2dfa420.jpg.html)

Hardrock69
05-18-2013, 11:35 PM
The fucking Republicans are so grasping at straws they have to go after Obama about something idiotic like this?

Christ....I would be ashamed to call myself a Republican....

Nitro Express
05-19-2013, 12:21 AM
The US president is the commander and chief. Hell. He could have a service man caddy for him at the golf course if he wanted.

ELVIS
05-19-2013, 06:14 AM
Either way, this is a non-issue...

sadaist
05-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Um, oops....

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/ferr3816/umbrella_zpsd2dfa420.jpg (http://s85.photobucket.com/user/ferr3816/media/umbrella_zpsd2dfa420.jpg.html)

The difference is Reagans umbrella isn't held by someone in uniform.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-19-2013, 06:22 PM
The difference is Reagans umbrella isn't held by someone in uniform.

Yeah, THAT's the difference.....

ELVIS
05-19-2013, 08:17 PM
I see a President, a CIA chief and his son and the ultimate con-man...

FORD
05-20-2013, 12:20 AM
I see a President, a CIA chief and his son and the ultimate con-man...

That's kind of a harsh thing to say about Reagan. I honestly don't think he had the mental capacity to con anybody.

ELVIS
05-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Yeah...

Nitro Express
05-20-2013, 02:10 AM
Next President Obama will make a Navy Seal dive into a water hazard to retrieve a golf ball.

Nitro Express
05-20-2013, 02:19 AM
People just figured a soap salesman would clean up Washington.

Nickdfresh
05-20-2013, 07:05 AM
That's kind of a harsh thing to say about Reagan. I honestly don't think he had the mental capacity to con anybody.

Then maybe he conned you? ;)

I like the new av BTW...