PDA

View Full Version : Old voices that don't sound the same

cadaverdog
05-19-2013, 11:11 AM
In another thread I mention I recently heard Elton John and Rush do some live stuff. Not together, separately. Elton and Geddy both sounded odd. What other vocalists have you heard recently that don't sound like the same person?

cadaverdog
05-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Geddy sounded like the singer from The Darkness on that "Time Machine" special. Elton sounded like Lou Grant might if he was a singer.

DLR Bridge
05-19-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm still pondering. This is actually harder than I thought it would be.

FORD
05-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Keef Richards seems like the obvious choice.....

The minute he got off the white horse, his singing voice dropped about 2 octaves.... and then the booze and cigs dropped it a couple more over the next few years.

Hell, here's an example of his voice changing on one goddamned song.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRadeWUqrLs

... this was the original unreleased recording from the Some Girls sessions, with Keith fresh outta rehab. Compare it with the vocal overdub on the Tattoo You album released 3 years later.

DLR Bridge
05-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Bowie's voice dropped a few octaves over the decades.

sadaist
05-19-2013, 03:40 PM
James Hetfield toured on the Justice tour for like 2 years. Somewhere in the middle of that he took vocal lessons & got serious about his voice. I remember seeing a show at the beginning & end of that tour and the difference in his voice was amazing. Unfortunately he kept at it and his voice is totally different than it was for the first 4 1/2 albums.

fraroc
05-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Obviously Paul Stanley. I mean, his voice is not as jaw-droppingly bad as KISS fans (or haters) say it is, but there really is no denying that his voice has aged a lot and went through a lot of abuse through the 1970s and the 1980s, especially in the Lick It Up to Carnival Of Souls when he was using his voice to the fullest extent. Since 2009, there has been dates where Paul sounds very good, and dates where his voice outright sounds bad. I don't think that it's a callus or a cyst or anything. I just think that this man needs GIVE HIS VOICE A REST. If they had really called it quits in 2001, and reunited in 2009 for Sonic Boom, Paul's voice would have sounded much better than it does now.

The vocals on Monster sound like Paul in the 70s, but drastically aged. A lot more roughness.

Matt White
05-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Robert Planet................

EVERYBODIES voice "changes"...hell, even SINATRA couldn't hit the high notes in his elder years.....it gets everybody

Mr. Vengeance
05-19-2013, 06:53 PM
C'mon folks...Bob Dylan.

He's still great though.

Mr. Vengeance
05-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Rod Stewart's voice is a shadow of what it once was, as well.

And he's still great too.

FORD
05-19-2013, 11:01 PM
C'mon folks...Bob Dylan.

He's still great though.

I love Bob, but I have to admit I really had to struggle to get through his Christmas album. And it wasn't because it was a Christmas album. Obviously, he's loved more for writing his songs than singing them, but god damn he sounded awful on that record :(

DLR Bridge
05-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Yeah, Bob pretty much sounds like a completely different person than back in the day. Everyone else mentioned grew a deeper voice, but they all still sound like the same person.

78/84 guy
05-20-2013, 07:17 AM
The guy from REO. His voice is terrible now. Roger Daltry also. Dave. His voice changed after A Lil Ain't Enough. Lots of them sound different/bad. But its what they do, so I don't think it will stop them.

Dave's Bitch
05-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Biff Byford. Although he has got better with age

Young Biff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE7Zp8w2T2A

Dave's Bitch
05-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Old Biff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXmTLVqIWrk

twonabomber
05-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Rod Stewart's voice is a shadow of what it once was, as well.

And he's still great too.

Singing great, but writing crap. And that's if he isn't doing another covers album.

TFM_Dale
05-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Paul McCartney but still better then the majority of the talentless hacks that make up "popular" rock today.

cadaverdog
05-20-2013, 10:00 AM
The guy from REO. His voice is terrible now. Roger Daltry also. Dave. His voice changed after A Lil Ain't Enough. Lots of them sound different/bad. But its what they do, so I don't think it will stop them.
Daltry's voice sounds a bit raspier and deeper but he still sounds like the same singer to me. "Good Looking Boy" sounded like classic Who to me.

DLR Bridge
05-20-2013, 10:02 AM
I don't think Paul sounds different than he once did though. That song he did with Grohl could've passed for a grungy Wings reject from 37 years ago. His pipes have held up well. His face is aging like an old lady, though.

cadaverdog
05-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Paul McCartney but still better then the majority of the talentless hacks that make up "popular" rock today.
I'm not a big Beatles fan. I think Lennon and McCartney were talented song writers. And they were decent musicians as well. Maybe they just got too much exposure. Something about them doesn't get it for me. I like a few of their songs but I just don't like them. George and Ringo were much more likable. The Lennon vs McCartney thing made them look like hired hands in the band.

cadaverdog
05-20-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't think Paul sounds different than he once did though. That song he did with Grohl could've passed for a grungy Wings reject from 37 years ago. His pipes have held up well. His facing is aging like an old lady, though.
I saw a picture of Steven Tyler at Sturgis a few years ago and he looked exactly like an old woman with the helmut he was wearing. An old woman in curlers.

TFM_Dale
05-20-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't think Paul sounds different than he once did though. That song he did with Grohl could've passed for a grungy Wings reject from 37 years ago. His pipes have held up well. His facing is aging like an old lady, though.

I by no means am saying he has fallen off the cliff or anything, just notice some changes in how some of his live stuff sounds, Lord knows it could be in my head lol

DLR Bridge
05-20-2013, 10:21 AM
I by no means am saying he has fallen off the cliff or anything...

I know, I'm just thinking in terms of the opening post to the thread regarding someone's voice changing to the point of not even sounding like the same person anymore.

TFM_Dale
05-20-2013, 10:27 AM

The singer for REO is just brutal anymore, yikes.

cadaverdog
05-20-2013, 10:33 AM
I know, I'm just thinking in terms of the opening post to the thread regarding someone's voice changing to the point of not even sounding like the same person anymore.
You can still hear some of the person but you might think it was a bad impersonation maybe.

Angel
05-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Dan McCafferty from Nazareth is another one who has lost his pipes...

ODShowtime
05-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Robert Planet................

EVERYBODIES voice "changes"...hell, even SINATRA couldn't hit the high notes in his elder years.....it gets everybody

1972 was a cruel winter

Mr. Vengeance
05-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Ian Gillan can't come close to the high notes anymore.

Terry
05-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Singing great, but writing crap. And that's if he isn't doing another covers album.

I dunno about that. Saw a clip of him doing Young Turks in 2010 with Stevie Nicks, and the song had to be tuned down nearly a whole step from the original recording to accomodate Stewart...and even THEN he sounded dull and lifeless...

And he hasn't really put out much of anything worthwhile since the mid-1980s far as original material goes.

Kristy
05-20-2013, 08:57 PM
John Hiatt
Tom Petty
Steve Winwood
Paul "pissy pants" McCartney
Mark Knopfler
Sheryl "ass lick" Crow
Neil Young

Dull.

I'm bored.

VetteLS5
05-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Holy freakin' moly.... it's back!

binnie
05-21-2013, 03:02 PM
James Hetfield toured on the Justice tour for like 2 years. Somewhere in the middle of that he took vocal lessons & got serious about his voice. I remember seeing a show at the beginning & end of that tour and the difference in his voice was amazing. Unfortunately he kept at it and his voice is totally different than it was for the first 4 1/2 albums.

Hetfield fucked his voice on that tour. The problems re-occured during the 'Black' record, when he started taking singing seriously - I think it was about preservation rather than a desire to change style.

binnie
05-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Steven Tyler's voice ain't what it used to be (but it's still good).

Josh Todd (Buckcherry) - starting to write tunes in a lower key.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Geoff Tate: every time he opens his mouth now he sounds like a pussy.....

Never was
05-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Steve Perry of Journey plain and simple can not sing anymore. He hides from the public to cover the fact he has ZERO voice left. I personally am glad cause if any human deserved to have what he loves taken away its that dude.

Anonymous
05-21-2013, 03:25 PM
John Hiatt
Tom Petty
Steve Winwood
Paul "pissy pants" McCartney
Mark Knopfler
Sheryl "ass lick" Crow
Neil Young

Dull.

I'm bored.

Sheryl Crow is into rimming??? AWESOME! Where did you hear that?

Cheers! :beers:

Anonymous
05-21-2013, 03:29 PM
I know you uncultured swines have no idea who I'm talking about, but Andi Deris doesn't sound the same... he sounds MUCH better now than he ever did.

Which is proof that if you keep trying to improve yourself, not only will you not lose what you have, you'll get BETTER, even if you're old.

Bruce Dickinson has completely different techniques these days... he sounds MUCH different than he did in "The Number of the Beast", but he's still of of the best out there.

Cheers! :beers:

TFM_Dale
05-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Steven Tyler's voice ain't what it used to be (but it's still good).

Josh Todd (Buckcherry) - starting to write tunes in a lower key.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Geoff Tate: every time he opens his mouth now he sounds like a pussy.....

Years ago Mick and I went to see Queensryche because we both liked them (Mick more then me) and Type O Negative opened. Type O rocked it, even Mick enjoyed it (even though he would never admit it) and then Queensryche came out. The vocals were cranked so loud it drowned out the band. Tate sounded like absolute shit, we bailed after 4 songs. Major bummer but at least Type O rocked.

binnie
05-21-2013, 03:40 PM
I was actually making a joke about Tate crying all of the time, but I'm sure his voice ain't what it once was.

(sidenote: who is Mick)?

TFM_Dale
05-21-2013, 03:44 PM
I was actually making a joke about Tate crying all of the time, but I'm sure his voice ain't what it once was.

(sidenote: who is Mick)?

Mick was/is Alinchainz, I forget that is what you guys knew him as.

binnie
05-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Mick was/is Alinchainz, I forget that is what you guys knew him as.

Alinchainz is a legend - apologies, I should have made the connection.

TFM_Dale
05-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Alinchainz is a legend - apologies, I should have made the connection.

No problem man, my bad, just habit.

Zing!
05-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Going to see Sir Paul in July, hope his pipes hold out until then.