PDA

View Full Version : Perseverance pays off!!!

Angel
05-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Some of you may recall your starving student days. Well...

My car has needed some work that I couldn't afford on my limited income so I decided I would just have to drive it till it died, and hope like hell it lasted till I was done my degree in Dec 14. No such luck...a week ago it gave up the ghost. :(

Call mom for the rescue. Yup, she'll give me a grand for down payment and co-sign loan. But...because of my student loans, my income to debt ratio is so high that even with a co-signer, prime lender s won't touch me, meaning ridiculously high interest. Back to the drawing board.

Ever tried to find a half decent car for $1000? Not an easy task but can be done. For an entire week I did nothing but search. Forget eating, homework and housework...find transportation!

On Thursday, I was getting close to the point of desperation....then at 2pm a new ad was posted.

1990 Toyota Camry. 231k km on car, 15k on the V6 rebuilt engine. Fyi, those engines DO NOT DIE if properly maintained. New exhaust system, good tires and brakes. Minimal rust for it's age.(e.g. it has less rust per capita than I do grey hair.) Bonus: brand new top of the line studded winter tires included.

Who cares if the power door locks and sunroof don't work? I found a decent car for $1000. Talked him down from $1500.

Oh, and those power locks and sunroof? They work now!!! :)

clarathecarrot
05-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Awesome!

Keep your nose to the grindstone as they say and you will find things going your way.

Anonymous
05-25-2013, 05:52 PM
That's a good deal, anyway you slice it.

A car for a 1000 bucks? Congrats.

Cheers! :beers:

TFM_Dale
05-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Kick ass, good job!

jhale667
05-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Good job. And hopefully being it's a Toyota it won't cost you 10x that to keep on the road.

Sensible Shoes
05-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Kudos for negotiating the guy down! I wish I had the balls to do that stuff. Sounds like a good ride.

Angel
05-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Good job. And hopefully being it's a Toyota it won't cost you 10x that to keep on the road.

Needs an alignment, that's about all. And yeah, parts are much cheaper than my old high performance engine...and she's old enough I can do a lot myself. :)

Sent from my LG-V905R using Tapatalk 2

Angel
05-25-2013, 10:03 PM
I forgot to mention she flies! Turn on the overdrive and ect and vhoom....

I just need to find ADKOT on cassette, lmao. No CD player...I'm going to vintage vinyl next day off.