PDA

View Full Version : Why are Atheists so angry?

jhale667
06-01-2013, 03:32 PM
This is long, but a great speech from start to finish, and the speaker takes on ALL religions, so no one should feel singled out. Even if I were still a believer this makes you think. No belief system should be immune to criticism.

http://youtu.be/GUI_ML1qkQE

Unchainme
06-02-2013, 12:43 AM
hmmmm...

Before I start, let it be clear that I do believe in Jesus Christ as my personal savior, and consider myself a Christian. To also add an asterisks to that, I am not a new earth creationist, I do accept Evolution as a scientific theory, I am pro-gay marriage, and I'm not a huge fan of abortion, but I think it should be up to the mother. I can't quite explain my faith via scientific means because it's really not a scientific concept. I did have a personal experience, and something I don't feel comfortable sharing with others.

Getting my own personal potential bias out the way, I shall move on to the topic.

I think a better way to define some of the more recent Atheists is not so much "Angry", as more so "Evangelical". Much like in the every faith there are people who seem to go a bit overboard and somewhat "Militant" as it were, Atheists as a belief system are not alone.

I think a few problems I've run in to with "Evangelical Atheists" is the inability to accept that not everything is black/white within religion. There is quite a bit of grey, much like in life. I've also ran into a few that clearly, clearly aren't theology majors and seem to have made the decision to become atheists because they went to a terrible (read: southern baptist) church growing up.

For example, I'll toss out "The Amazing Atheist", who I will often stand by when he's criticizing psuedo christian groups protesting against gay rights, etc.

In an interview with Shirley Phelps of Westboro Baptist, he continually agreed with her and insisted that she and the churh had perhaps the most "accurate" and "correct" interpretation of the bible. He then flipped off the camera, and then went off on a very ignorant about it, insisting that most modern Christians "pick and choose" along with "Adding their own beliefs in there as well".

To say as such without having no sort of theological background is well...stupid. Most of Shirley's arguments seem to stem from a very narrow minded view of the bible that mainly focuses on the Old Testament. This ignores the fact of the "New Covent" that pretty much goes "oh hey..that period of terrible shit that occurred back a long time a go? Ignore that, we cool".

He also seems to ignore, that yes, over a thousand years words may have changed in meaning, and there is quite a bit in disagreement as to what was mean't in some passages. It's going to happen because the book is again...old. Christ, people confused "Homosexual" with "Pedophile" in the 1950's for christ sake!

This all being said, do I have a problem with any atheists I come in contact with? No absolutely not. We may differ in beliefs, but I still see you as a fellow human being who's trying to find out what this world ultimately means. I don't have a problem with Atheism being in the arena of ideas, so long as I'm still allowed to believe in what I believe in. I don't have a problem with the "Imagine no religion.."" billboards, so long as you don't get offended about a christmas tree in public square. Also, I think we can both agree that religion has no place within science class, but something as silly as quoting a bible verse in class (so as long as it's not used to harm another student) shouldn't be grounds for suspension.

Just be chill. Life if short. We only get so many years on this planet, let's spend them not being angry with each other or fighting over small things.

jhale667
06-02-2013, 02:33 AM
Did you listen to any of it? Just curious.

BITEYOASS
06-02-2013, 03:52 AM
For example, I'll toss out "The Amazing Atheist", who I will often stand by when he's criticizing psuedo christian groups protesting against gay rights, etc.

OMG! LOL Did you just mention "The Amazing Atheist," the e-begging, money-whore clown who leaked out two sex-tapes of himself? He's not exactly a reliable representation of the atheist community. I'm not an atheist myself, but having him represent atheism is like having Jimmy Swaggart as pope.

Luckily I never watched any of "The Amazing Atheist" sex tapes (Which would make me want to stab my eyes with darts.), but here are some links to a few reaction videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6986i_Tg9YI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO60WMK0juY

FORD
06-02-2013, 04:17 AM
Well, I watched the whole thing, and while I actually agree with much of what she says, I don't think it justifies anger at all people of faith overall.

The problem isn't religion in and of itself, it's fundamentalism, with the emphasis on mental. And yeah, it does apply to some fundagelical atheists as well. And most people in fundagelical religions haven't even read their damn holy books, they just listen to what their so-called holy man tells them, and more often than not, that holy man is working on his own agenda, and not the teachings of JC, Mohammed, Moses, or whomever.

If you want to be an "angry atheist", or an "angry believer", or even an agnostic who doesn't know if you're angry or not, don't make blanket statements like "All religions suck" (yeah I love the Dead Kennedys, but Jello was overgeneralizing there). Maybe it's better to call out the fucking fundagelical idiots to their face when they're making a mockery of the religion they claim to believe in (but are obviously failing miserably at practicing)

jhale667
06-02-2013, 05:29 AM
I think her main point beyond no religion can justify genital mutilation, murder, war, etc. was

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/Ifyourfaith_zps45988ecb.png (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/jhale667/media/Ifyourfaith_zps45988ecb.png.html)

ashstralia
06-02-2013, 06:44 AM
here's the ash scenario;

the observable universe contains billions of galaxies, each containing billions of stars.
thinking we are alone?
statistically impossible.

vandeleur
06-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Tim minchin on miracles and feet :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1-_PeExMs

Seshmeister
06-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Frederick Douglass told in his Narrative how his condition as a slave became worse when his master underwent a religious conversion that allowed him to justify slavery as the punishment of the children of Ham. Mark Twain described his mother as a genuinely good person, whose soft heart pitied even Satan, but who had no doubt about the legitimacy of slavery, because in years of living in antebellum Missouri she had never heard any sermon opposing slavery, but only countless sermons preaching that slavery was God's will.

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Seshmeister
06-02-2013, 07:53 AM
here's the ash scenario;

the observable universe contains billions of galaxies, each containing billions of stars.
thinking we are alone?
statistically impossible.

And as I said before, that's a hell of a lot of Jesuses... :)

If the good news of the zombie situation in Palestine had traveled at the speed of light from Earth then it isn't even a thousandth of the way to Andromeda yet never mind the other billion billion galaxies that are further away.

But how could superstitious iron age goat herders know that...?

ashstralia
06-02-2013, 08:23 AM
the speed of light is a man made concept. ;)

Matt White
06-02-2013, 08:27 AM
the speed of light is a man made concept. ;)

So is TIME...................

ashstralia
06-02-2013, 08:43 AM
very true, matt. but we've had 10,000 years of conditioning on that one. 24/365 and all that.

isn't it a billion to one shot how the apparent discs of the sun and moon could be almost exactly the same size during a total solar eclipse?

and ancient dudes predicted eclipses. props ancient dudes using science.

envy_me
06-02-2013, 08:55 AM
If you're dying of AIDS cause you believe that Jesus cries every time you use condom, well maybe the nature is doing its job with the natural selection.

binnie
06-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Why are atheists so angry?

I can only assume that most of them have met Elvis.........

ashstralia
06-02-2013, 09:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWVshkVF0SY

envy_me
06-02-2013, 09:24 AM
I understand her, and agree with a lot of it. I think on the other hand that she is a bit naive in her approach. Like anger about pope protecting the pedophiles. On that level in catholic church it's waaay beyond religion. It's about money, power etc.

I am in a different situation cause religion doesn't dominate my country in a way it does in the USA, so it's not in my face and I am not affected by religion in every day life.

Also, you need to know who you are dealing with. And effectivly ignore morons and not waste your time on them. If you're dying of aids cause you believe jesus is crying if you use condom, I'd just say "good for you, you made jesus smile, bye" and not have any further discussion, cause what's the point.

Every religious person is different from one another and has different motives with their religion. Just like atheists are. I have met many FANTASTIC activly religious people. Some of the best people I have met are 7th day adventists, on an individual level of course.

I am not atheist, I am not religious, I just don't know. I have read a lot about theories of a 4th spacial dimension, and it is supposed to be so easy to understand cause it's just logics but at the same time impossible to grasp for us as humans. Reading about 4th dimension made me realize that we as humans don't know ANYTHING. We are extremely limited.

ashstralia
06-02-2013, 09:44 AM
from a purely scientific pov they do the numbers.
that's how science works, a measurable repetition.

Coyote
06-02-2013, 09:50 AM
So is TIME...................

The Time being a Prince-invention...

Matt White
06-02-2013, 10:31 AM
the time being a prince-invention...

word!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TaoJZ0wADIQ

ELVIS
06-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Steven Weinberg

Am I supposed to be impressed ??

ELVIS

Seshmeister
06-02-2013, 02:35 PM
By a Nobel prize winning physicist rather than a failed dentist or a paranoid shock jock?

My posts aren't for you, your mind is closed. You decide and then look for evidence.

envy_me
06-04-2013, 06:57 AM
:lmao: Look at this moron. LOVE the American flag in the background.
His gesticulation is exactly like Gordon Ramseys :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7QXhGLZW00

Seshmeister
06-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Not really his fault he's been indoctrinated from childhood.

The argument he's picked saying that communists killed even more people than Hitler because they didn't fear eternal damnation in hell has a few flaws in it. :)

jhale667
06-04-2013, 08:23 AM
:doh: That's some powerful stupid.

envy_me
06-04-2013, 09:50 AM
But look at his movements in the beginning, doesn't he had exactly the same gestures as Gordon Ramsey.

ELVIS
06-04-2013, 10:01 AM
By a Nobel prize winning physicist rather than a failed dentist or a paranoid shock jock?

Nobel prize ??

Wow, I'm impressed...

You know, Obomba has one of those...

Who gives a fuck ??

So someone is Elitist enough to get an establishment award...

Big fucking deal...

It's your mind Sesh that's not only closed, but impaired...

The reason I seek out "alternatives" to the main stream bullshit is because my mind is open and NOT impaired...

:elvis:

Kristy
06-04-2013, 12:18 PM
You prefer they firebomb your churches like whacky "believers" so enjoy with abortion clinics?

Seshmeister
06-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Nobel prize ??

Wow, I'm impressed...

Who gives a fuck ??

Big fucking deal...

The reason I seek out "alternatives" to the main stream bullshit is because my mind is open and NOT impaired...

It's funny when people substitute use the word elitist when they actually mean more qualified or intelligent than they are. :)

I heard one of your lot recently use the word 'rational' as an insult.

jhale667
06-04-2013, 12:53 PM
It's those damn rational and critical thinkers! Evil! :biggrin:

Seshmeister
06-04-2013, 01:19 PM
With their facts and knowledge.

What you do is just make shit up since everything in the media is a lie.

The funniest thing is that most of Alex Jones sources are... the mainstream media.

He's not out there investigating shit, he just sits there making stupid leaps of faith devoid of evidence.

We have closed minds because we listen and read hundreds of sources paying attention to how well qualified or likely their information is, ELVIS is open minded because he waits to see what Alex Jones tells him. :D

ELVIS
06-05-2013, 08:58 AM
It's funny when people substitute use the word elitist when they actually mean more qualified or intelligent than they are. :)

Dude, you're obviously sold out to the system...

I'd get some of my eggs out of that basket if I were you...

envy_me
06-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Nobel prize ??

Wow, I'm impressed...

Who gives a fuck ??

Big fucking deal...

I just wanna point out and make clear that Obamas Nobel prize was given by Norwegians. Norway decides on the peace prize NOT Swedes.
They have made pretty bad decisions with that peace prize the last few years that swedes were considering to take it over.

ELVIS
06-06-2013, 04:13 PM
It's meaningless anyway...

envy_me
06-06-2013, 04:15 PM
It's meaningless anyway...

I actually agree. I LOVE Doris Lessing for basicly giving them the finger when they gave her one :biggrin: GOD, I LOVE Doris Lessing!!!!

ELVIS
06-06-2013, 04:23 PM

envy_me
06-06-2013, 04:27 PM

She's such a badass :D She also said that it's a prize they are giving to each other, petting each other on the back in between them, or something like that, I can't recall exactly, it was long ago. Made me laugh :biggrin:

She deserves every prize there is though. She is beyond amazing.

ELVIS
06-06-2013, 04:32 PM
She also said that it's a prize they are giving to each other, petting each other on the back in between them, or something like that, I can't recall exactly, it was long ago. Made me laugh :biggrin:

That's exactly right...

It's elitist snobs sucking each other's dick while the sheep stand in awe...

Fuck the whole lot of 'em...

envy_me
06-06-2013, 04:49 PM
That's exactly right...

It's elitist snobs sucking each other's dick while the sheep stand in awe...

Fuck the whole lot of 'em...

I love her.
I am actually afraid to read her books. I have read a small outtake, maybe one third of a page and it still haunts me and makes me cry when I think about it. I couldn't take one whole book by her.