PDA

View Full Version : New Alice in Chains "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here"

jhale667
06-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Downloaded this the day it came out (physical disc showed up a couple of days ago) and it's really growing on me. Killer riffs, odd, "buggy" sounding harmonies throughout, and of course dinosaur sounds on the title track. IMO they're two-for-two on post-Layne Stayley releases. I liked "Black Gives Way to Blue" but I think I like this one better. Standout tracks so far are "Hollow", "Stone" "Phantom Limb" and "Hung on a Hook".

http://youtu.be/9KmYFY5oOvM

:guitar:

Whorehey
06-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Got this spooled up with the new Megadeth and
Satriani for a road trip in the morning.

binnie
06-05-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm digging it. I actually prefer 'Black Gives Way To Blue' because it's more 'Alice' (introspective/ emotional), but this new is very, very good too.....

TFM_Dale
06-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Downloaded this the day it came out (physical disc showed up a couple of days ago) and it's really growing on me. Killer riffs, odd, "buggy" sounding harmonies throughout, and of course dinosaur sounds on the title track. IMO they're two-for-two on post-Layne Stayley releases. I liked "Black Gives Way to Blue" but I think I like this one better. Standout tracks so far are "Hollow", "Stone" "Phantom Limb" and "Hung on a Hook".

http://youtu.be/9KmYFY5oOvM

:guitar:

I waited awhile to buy the first album after Layne but they are pretty damned good still. The new singer has pulled off a pretty dificult thing and while he will never be Layne it does work for AIC, downloaded the new album yesterday and I am digging it, hats off to AIC for doing what I thought wasnt possible.

TFM_Dale
06-05-2013, 03:57 PM
That said thank God for the Foo Fighters, I cant imagine Nirvana trying to replace Cobain and Dave Grohl deserves a killer band to play in. I know alot of the folks here hate Nirvana but I was in high school when I heard Bleach and when Nevermind came out it was all over, I was hooked and listen to all their albums to this day.

jhale667
06-05-2013, 03:59 PM
I kind of have a vested interest in wanting them to succeed because Mike Inez is a friend and former co-worker, but I too thought Layne was irreplaceable. Duvall does a good job, though - and I like the direction they're going in.

binnie
06-05-2013, 03:59 PM
'In Utero' has always been my favourite Nirvana album. To these ears it is infinitely superior to 'Nevermind'

TFM_Dale
06-05-2013, 04:02 PM
'In Utero' has always been my favourite Nirvana album. To these ears it is infinitely superior to 'Nevermind'

100% agree, I have a soft spot for the Unplugged album/DVD also, they really kicked some ass on it in my opinion.

FORD
06-05-2013, 04:04 PM
I still like "Bleach" better myself.

Recorded with a budget of $600, and sounds fucking great.

DLR Bridge
06-05-2013, 04:07 PM

Nevermind would have been better had it been recorded that way, but as we know, a certain degree of corporate furniture polish comes part in parcel with the record deal.

jhale667
06-05-2013, 04:46 PM
"Who requested the truckload of studio gloss?" ;)

binnie
06-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Nevermind would have been better had it been recorded that way, but as we know, a certain degree of corporate furniture polish comes part in parcel with the record deal.

I think that once you get past the singles on 'Nevermind' there is quite a bit of filler. The sheer power of 'Bleach' meant that you could look past the cracks.....

ODShowtime
06-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Yeah I'm lovin this record right now. The first 2 songs are excellent and then there's a few more good ones. Like Dirt, some of the album tracks are very strong. Phantom Limb is just brutal.

It's a fuckin great record.

binnie
06-06-2013, 04:13 AM
Phantom Limb is a killer title....

ELVIS
06-06-2013, 04:25 AM

I like 'em all...

Almost everything Cobain did was somewhat interesting even though he was a pretty crappy guitar player...

:elvis:

ODShowtime
06-06-2013, 06:44 AM
So I'm gonna say it because it's bullshit. This record is loud as SHIT and the only vinyl is a $60 picture disc that also sounds like shit.

Hey Jerry, I got $30 for ya for a real vinyl pressing. Waiting...

Come take my money music industry. I want to pay you for your work unlike most of the lazy thieving scum in this country.

jhale667
06-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Phantom Limb is a killer title....

It's a killer riff, and the lyrics are kinda bleak, too... It was already a favorite, but it's really growing on me. "Hung on a Hook" is pretty fucking brilliant, too IMO... basically from the standpoint of a mirror watching the decline of its owner... "Look at the thing that's become what I see..." . "Choke" is cool too. Lots of great tunes on this.

Karma86
06-12-2013, 01:10 PM
this song kicks ass!!! I liked it the first time I heard it! I was never a real big Chains fan when they first came out. As the years past they grew on me. I have great respect for these guys and really have grown to like them!

DLR Bridge
06-12-2013, 01:29 PM
I'm looking forward to picking this CD up at some point, but after listening to all of the minute long samples on I-Tunes, it sounds like there are a lot of similar sounding songs. Seems like the majority of the tunes have Jerry and William doing the same vocal harmony with one another throughout the record. Classic AIC mixed it up a bit more. Wasn't as formulaic. You had Layne doubling his own voice, Jerry taking lead, the two of them harmonizing, etc. My nit-picking may be premature, but that's how it sounds to me so far. A lot like Jerry's Degradation Trip CD.

jhale667
06-13-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm looking forward to picking this CD up at some point, but after listening to all of the minute long samples on I-Tunes, it sounds like there are a lot of similar sounding songs. Seems like the majority of the tunes have Jerry and William doing the same vocal harmony with one another throughout the record. Classic AIC mixed it up a bit more. Wasn't as formulaic. You had Layne doubling his own voice, Jerry taking lead, the two of them harmonizing, etc. My nit-picking may be premature, but that's how it sounds to me so far. A lot like Jerry's Degradation Trip CD.

I think it's kind of impossible for any post-Layne version of AIC not to sound like Jerry solo stuff in a way, but I think you may be underestimating it...the harmonies on the title track and "Hung on a Hook" are especially impressive. I think "Voices" and the RIFF to "Pretty Done" sound like Jerry solo stuff now that you mention it, but still works, "Pretty Done" has weird nearly classic AIC-"bug" harmonies, and is really growing on me too. In his own way William's getting as tight with Jerry vocally as Layne was with him, but nothing's every gonna sound like Layne (Sorry, Sully Erna :hee:) Check it out, download was 10 bucks on Amazon and you get a disc too... :baaa:

DLR Bridge
06-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Good to know! Muchas thanksias!

Satan
06-14-2013, 12:02 AM
Well, you have to love the album title in either case.... http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

jhale667
06-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Well, you have to love the album title in either case.... http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

C'mon, I'm sure someone will say you had a hand in the lyrics to that track...

Come to me I'll fill the hole

Why would I be Lying

End fan, all planned out

Offering a wonderful

Peace of mind worth buying

Bow down last round up

I am wise and you don't know

A cloud is my home

Only some get in

Got a 'maginary friend

The devil put dinosaurs here

Jesus don't like a queer

No problem with faith just fear

Promise those who've gone before

Waitin' on you flyin'

Leading receiving us

I'm as flawed as any man

Look at me I'm smiling

Drink me, eat me up

A cloud is my home

Only some get in

Got a 'maginary friend

Jesus don't like a queer

No problem with faith just fear

A cloud is my home

Only some get in

Got a 'maginary friend

Jesus don't like a queer

No problem with faith

Fear

Liar

Satan
06-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Actually it was Layne. He wrote out the lyrics and told me to email them to Jerry.

jhale667
06-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Actually it was Layne. He wrote out the lyrics and told me to email them to Jerry.

One of the funniest moments between songs on the "Tripod" album - right before "God Am", if you listen closely at the start, Layne takes a :bong: rip and says "Sure, god's all-powerful. But does he have lips?" and you hear someone else go "Whoa!" right before the riff comes in...:biggrin:

It was the "How proud are you bein' able to gather faith from fable" line that landed him there, huh? ;)

damngoodtimes
06-18-2013, 02:10 PM
I've been spinning this one non-stop since it came out. Pretty stellar record.

I think on both this disc and the last one, they've intentionally done a lot of the Jerry and Will lead harmonies for a very simple reason: as long as Jerry's in there, it passes the "sounds like Alice" test. Although, I think this is largely picking nits; these two records are realistically as good as we could rightly expect without Layne.

My favorites: Hollow, Stone, Scalpel, Voices. The outro on "Breath on a Window" doesn't exactly fit the rest of the song, but has massive rock radio hit written all over it: "I'd let you go, but you're always in the way. I'm the damage done, your scar of yesterday."

Golden AWe
06-22-2013, 06:07 PM
A song not mentioned yet is my fav at the moment..."Low Ceiling". The lyrics have someting familiar and bit cliche (did I write that properly), but the song is fresh and man...the solo
s got soul. Actually the whole album has soul. Somehow cursed and dark...not heroine dark as Layne's singings, but like a solar eclipse!

This somehow is like a mirror/photo negative image of "traditional american rock" and I love it...looking at the world through sunglasses. Everything is going to hell, but we have time to cruise around.

sadaist
06-26-2013, 10:22 AM
pssst....

this song still kicks my ass every time.