PDA

View Full Version : What was the first guitar solo you could play

vandeleur
06-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Was listening to the radio earlier and a song came on that reminded me of the first solo I learnt.

When I was young I had loads of guitar lessons and one of the first Solo's I had to learn was

Alone by Heart .

I heard it today its still a canny little solo to start with and doesnt sound to bad even now.

Nitro Express
06-08-2013, 11:49 PM
My first real quality electric guitar was a Mephis copy of a Les Paul. I played it through a silver faced Fender Champ. It actually was a great sounding rig and had some balls for what it was. The first guitar solo I got down was Ace Frehley's solo from KISS' Love Em Leave Em. I had that whole song nailed right down to the toggle switch effect with the two pickups.

ashstralia
06-09-2013, 01:05 AM
aah yes! 'she' by KI⚡⚡...

hondo2 lp junior copy, coronet 10w amp + fuzzbox.

'watchin you' was the first riff i learned by ear. some badass sounds comin outta the ash garage in 1979...:D

Nitro Express
06-09-2013, 01:56 AM
I didn't have a fuzz box at first. I used to dime the Fender Champ and then stick it under my bed and stuff some pillows around it to muffle the volume. I never blew it up doing that either. LOL!

ashstralia
06-09-2013, 05:43 AM
me too, nitro. i bought the fuzzbox later from a dude at school. $20 in those days was probably 10% of the avg wage. wish i kept it.

the first time i got that beautiful feedback that melts into vibrating strings, or vice versa, i was hooked.

Nitro Express
06-09-2013, 05:57 AM
me too, nitro. i bought the fuzzbox later from a dude at school. $20 in those days was probably 10% of the avg wage. wish i kept it.

the first time i got that beautiful feedback that melts into vibrating strings, or vice versa, i was hooked.

I can remember musical equipment being really expensive. A run of the mill BOSS pedal was around $80 in 1980 dollars. Amps were always expensive and so were the guitars. There were just music stores and pawn shops. Frankly the prices have pretty much remained the same but the dollar was worth more in 1980 and you had less of them to spend on stuff.

Also the quality control was hit and miss.

ashstralia
06-09-2013, 06:56 AM
my main guitar is a roadstar 2 from 1986. unbelievable quality control.

Coyote
06-09-2013, 07:02 AM
These...

Matt White
06-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Very 1st solo? Sumthin I STILL enjoy playing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8EwHnCDJljo

I played it on my 1st guitar!

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/931/sg1m.jpg

twonabomber
06-09-2013, 09:23 AM
I haven't learned any solos. Too much work.

I just like to chug around on rhythm. I call it slop rhythm.

I guess I can play the beginning of the solo on Rock Of Ages.

jhale667
06-09-2013, 02:01 PM
First solo I ever learned was "Runnin' with the Devil". I too had a Fender (Vibra)Champ as a kid. Great little amps, wish I still had it.

Nitro Express
06-09-2013, 03:21 PM
my main guitar is a roadstar 2 from 1986. unbelievable quality control.

I had one as well. Mine had a flamed maple top, a maple neck with a skunk stripe, one pickup, and a whammy bar. The bridge was built like a tank. It was a chunk of metal. the only thing is I dropped my pitch pipe out of my mouth and it hit the top of the guitar and the clear coat cracked like a car windshield does when something hits it. That body had a lot of clear coat on it that's for sure.

envy_me
06-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Bed of roses. I was maybe around 12 and don't remember it anymore.

ELVIS
06-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Mine was Fleetwood mac - The Chain...

Sensible Shoes
06-09-2013, 07:38 PM
CCR's Green River and/or Long Cool Woman

Hardrock69
06-09-2013, 08:35 PM
I would have to say something off of Kiss Alive!

I got my first electric guitar Dec. 4, 1976, and by the time I joined the army 6 months later, I could decently play the solo from 100,000 Years, as well as some other bits and pieces from Alive!. And also the solo from Detroit Rock City.

Terry
06-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Iron Man, by Sabbath.

The whole song was pretty basic. In fact, a lot of the rock tunes I wanted to learn when I first started to play were off the Paranoid album. I learned all the non-solo parts of Paranoid and War Pigs, but Iron Man was the first tune where I was able to learn all the riffs AND the solos and play them all note-for-note and play them well.

I never really got into copying too many solos note-for-note, though. I'd learn the main riffs, verse and chorus parts the way they were recorded and I liked to learn bits and pieces of various solos (like, memorable parts or intro/outro) but I always liked winging the solos.

VAiN
06-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Within my first year of playing, when I was about 15, I got the book to VHI.. the first thing i learned was the RWTD solo... that book was like a goldmine!

ashstralia
06-09-2013, 11:21 PM
The bridge was built like a tank. It was a chunk of metal.

the original edge bridges are awesome.10094

Nitro Express
06-10-2013, 04:01 AM
The guy who inspired me to play guitar was not EVH, nor was it Jimmy Page or Jimmy Hendrix. It was Ace Frehley. To this day I listen to the man's licks and I go, yeah, they were tasty. The man was a true rock star in every sense of the word and you had to love that laugh of his.

Nitro Express
06-10-2013, 05:32 AM
I think this was the second solo I got down. Still a good song.

VHscraps
06-10-2013, 06:14 AM
First I really thought I nailed, but probably was nowhere near close, was 'Rockin' at Midnight' by The Honeydrippers - who remembers that?! Great solo by Jeff Beck.

The first 'solo' I could actually play for sure and on the money was '316' by EVH.

I could never really play, though.

vandeleur
06-10-2013, 07:02 AM
On reflection the two prohibitive factors in me learning solo's or learning them late in guitar playing were:

A. Talent or lack of :D

B. Attention span .

C. Er What was I talking about .

I was a walking radio station , I could play every riff every catchy bit of any song but that was it , am not even sure I could play a full song before I joined a band.
I just wanted to play the hook or the intro , which ever bit caught mine or more importantly my potential audience's attention.
I just wanted to show off to my mates .
Plus I was into punk in my formative years and I didnt hear a lot of solo's played except the variety that copied the vocal melody. Obviously when I look back now there were loads.

VHscraps
06-10-2013, 08:04 AM
On reflection the two prohibitive factors in me learning solo's or learning them late in guitar playing were:

A. Talent or lack of :D

B. Attention span .

C. Er What was I talking about .

That was pretty much it for me. I had some mates who started at the same time and were advancing quicker, and realised there were way too many good players out there to think that I could make it as a musician.

Seshmeister
06-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Was listening to the radio earlier and a song came on that reminded me of the first solo I learnt.

When I was young I had loads of guitar lessons and one of the first Solo's I had to learn was

Alone by Heart .

I heard it today its still a canny little solo to start with and doesnt sound to bad even now.

'Alone'?

Sounds like a mackem quilt has got a hold of your password... :)

vandeleur
06-10-2013, 09:16 AM
Yeah , it was a test from my guitar teacher . He had me playing loads of more melodic stuff .
It taught me a valuable lesson , the one with the pretty face is usually the fat one :biggrin:

Green Manalishi
06-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Don't laugh....O-kay , go ahead...the first solo I could play was.....get this...." Wipe Out " by the Surfari's when I was about 11 . I had a big old fat bodied electric by KAY guitars . It was a large and bulky hollow body but...it was electric . My instructor - Kelly Haefner and I worked on this for I don't know how long but , yes , I proudly nailed it .