PDA

View Full Version : Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me / Official Trailer

DLR Bridge
06-11-2013, 11:01 PM
This looks pretty kick ass...

http://youtu.be/ftnY_xx_5Zc

chefcraig
06-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Thank you, thank you, and thank you for turning me onto this film. Words can not express...

When Alex Chilton passed in 2010, it broke my heart. As did Chris Bell's untimely death in a car wreck at the tender age of 27.

These guys were the real deal. In fact, when Chilton died, I'm pretty certain Lounge and me spent the evening posting video clips about the guy.

I don't wish to do that again, as it all really hits far to close to home. Yet I will be seeking out the DVD of this film.

DLR Bridge
06-11-2013, 11:31 PM
I only had just taken an interest in them less than a year before Alex died, when there was talks of them getting things going again. After years of hearing other people do their songs, I was finally drawn in. Then, I picked up a magazine that shared the shitty news. That seems to happen too damn often.

Kristy
06-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Seemed to be welcomed with open arms at SXSW. What I like about this is that they are actually using Big Star's own music and not this shitty replica-ish knock off shit although...rumor has it much has been "mixed." Whatever the fuck that means. An when the rest of you cretins get a job do go for the 'Keep An Eye On The Sky' box set. Granted, there is some fluff there but in all it's well worth the money.

chefcraig
06-11-2013, 11:36 PM
I only had just taken an interest in them less than a year before Alex died, when there was talks of them getting things going again. After years of hearing other people do their songs, I was finally drawn in. Then, I picked up a magazine that shared the shitty news. That seems to happen too damn often.

Go over to Youtube, and punch in Big Star at the search engine. You'll really dig the results, brother.

Kristy
06-11-2013, 11:56 PM

When I first heard them I must admit I didn't like them. I can remember buying the Ryko offering 'Third/Sister Lovers' in the used bin while back in college. I gave it a whrill and apart from their cover of The Kinks ''Til The End Of The Day' I didn't really care for it. Then...some time later I rediscovered Big Star and WOW! Chilton deserved a lot more credit for not just a musician with one unique voice but a visionary genius.

chefcraig
06-12-2013, 01:45 AM
I'm sorry, yet people need to hear this. It's called "13."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pte3Jg-2Ax4

VHscraps
06-12-2013, 06:06 AM
I've had a Big Star Best Of CD for about 30 years, but have never actually checked out all the albums - they were always big in Glasgow, Scotland. Well, they were a big influence on local "jangly guitar" bands, some of whom - like Teenage Fanclub - were pretty good.

Glad you posted this now - going to check out more of this stuff.

DLR Bridge
06-12-2013, 06:23 AM

Elliott Smith did a beautiful version of this tune. As was Jeff Buckley's version of Kangaroo.

SilvioDante
06-12-2013, 07:17 AM

This to me, might be the greatest love song written in the "rock" era. The lyrics are just so perfectly naive. Just that first line, "Let me walk you home from school". And the music, simple, but the layered guitars fill your ears with sound. I just can't say enough about this song. It is the song that turned me on to Big Star.

My wife bought me a Martin for Christmas last year and the first song I sat down to learn was "Thirteen".

Kristy
03-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Bought the DVD on Monday and did not get around to seeing until last night. Have to say it's a bit of a disappointment. The historical documentation of Big Star is quite well researched and it does give some rather interesting insight...but... it how the producers here seem to play Chilton against Bell here. Alex Chilton may have been a hardcore alcoholic during and in the aftermath of Big Star's demise but he was-never a misunderstood, sad, brooding genius. In other words, Chilton was way more than Big Star and Chris Bell's "emotional problems" was not the reason for their breakup.

I also could have done without a whole god damn chapter being devoted to (producer) Jim Dickenson. True, Dickenson did cut his teeth and made his Memphis reputation from Big Star there was no need for his batshit crazy wife to go on and on and on about him. Now, I'm not demeaning Dickenson here. He did made records that sounded way-the-fuck-better than that cloying limey cocksucker ever did. Dickerson did produce Green On Red's 1989's Here Come The Snakes which is still one the best records about pain and loss (something Dickerson seemed to thrive upon when recording people - especially when working with Chilton) and the bitterness of surviving without love. Plus, he did made Chuck Prophet a much better guitar player. Isn't that right, Chuck..?

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/11/21/55/2431808/5/628x471.jpg
"God damn right as always, Kristy!"

Where was I..? Oh yeah, there is a lot of filler on this documentary. The only worthwhile commentary is from drummer Jody Stephens who says that Big Star were not as "Godalfuckingmighty" as people portray them to be. "We were just a band from Memphis," he says. The Chris Bell finding Jesus shit I could have down without, Chilton's stint with The Cramps could have been better told and even the reformed Big Star should have had more attention. So there is the could of, would, of should of's.

Some of the better was little mention of R.E.M. and Paul Westerburg but that little cocksucker from Hot Chip!? What in the fuck is he doing here? Watch it for yourselves so-called Big Star fans. It will thoroughly depress the shit out of you.

DLR Bridge
05-21-2014, 12:29 PM
I agree with much of your post, Kristy. What I did find fascinating was the utter clusterfuck on the end of the distributors (on more than one occasion!) that really seemed to fuck with this bands spirits and drive. The woulda coulda shoulda factor was strong within this band of great musicians with fragile egos.

One quote by a critic early in the show has resonated with me since watching this on Netflix a few months ago. "Sometimes, lack of success forces you deeper within yourself." Ain't that the fuckin' truth. (Insert failed musician jab here)

SilvioDante
07-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Finally got around to watching this. While it's not perfect, to a guy that came late to the Big Star game, I did take a lot away from it. I do agree with you Kristy, there is much of this that is unnecessary but it didn't ruin it for me. I am a rock doc junkie though. Probably could have stopped after the Radio City parts.

I would, in the end, recommend this and if it turns one person on the the Big Star "sound" then it was worth it.

Kristy
07-09-2014, 02:29 PM
The Chris Bell whining could have been avoided.

DLR Bridge
07-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Once Chilton hit that Panther Burns phase, he probably should have had himself committed.