PDA

View Full Version : Robert Plant

Kristy
06-12-2013, 03:45 PM
So I'm a big, big fan of Patty Griffin and was twee excited when she put out a new record and tour (we'll get to that). Excellent songwriter, singer and general Americana goodness. So I have to admit I was a little put off finding out that ex-Zep fuck monkey Robert Plant was on this recording as well.

http://cdn.americansongwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/PattyGriffin-AmericanKid-pixlr-resized.jpg

But you know what? The Plant-ish contributions are not all that bad! Yes, I said that! Unlike his over-pretentious shit he did with Alison Krauss - and that record bored me to death - Plant doesn't seem all the invasive on the duets with Patty. This could be due to producer Craigg Ross doesn't allow for them to sing like they are a behemoth SUV stuck in the mud like he did with Kraus. Plant takes on more of backseat role here (where he belongs) and accents Patty's voice rather than competing with it. This record flows like honey in cold tea on a hot summers day. Maybe Plant is getting old and yeah, good for him, at least he doing so with grace and character unlike his former joke of bandmates. I look forward to seeing them both July 10th(?) at Red Rocks. It'l be the only concert I can afford all year so it better be a good one. Otherwise, I'll cut what's left of Plant's nuts off.

Von Halen
06-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Wow, that shit SUCKS ass!

Those bitching about the Sabbath album need to give this garbage a listen!

Kristy
06-12-2013, 03:52 PM
You know, you can fucking blow me when hanging from a bridge.

VetteLS5
06-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Wasn't she part of the recent Band of Joy work that Plant put together?

Kristy
06-12-2013, 03:57 PM
You are correct, sir!

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/090623-McMahon-hmed-5a.grid-6x2.jpg

Von Halen
06-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Mods, delete this garbage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frodo
06-12-2013, 10:00 PM
me thinks Robert Plant is tapping that.

Matt White
06-12-2013, 10:06 PM

I think he married her..............

Von Halen
06-12-2013, 10:18 PM

He must like tapping female singers that suck.

Wasn't he tapping the ass of that other broad he made the horrible music with?

Kristy
06-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Wait a minute, Von? Plant sang with your mother?

binnie
06-13-2013, 04:30 AM
Kristy saying something positive about a member of Zeppelin..................?

***looks at the sky and awaits the Four Horesmen***

Von Halen
06-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Wait a minute, Von? Plant sang with your mother?

If he did, it would be better than this garbage you posted.

chefcraig
06-13-2013, 11:04 AM
If he did, it would be better than this garbage you posted.

Oh, come on...it's not nearly as awful as you make it. To me, there is a really cool Gram Parsons/Emmylou Harris vibe to it, which truly comes to form on this track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfR8gaulJ54

Jérôme Frenchise
06-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Robert Plant's solo career is uneven. "Manic Nirvana" and "Fate of Nations" were really good IMO.
"
Walking into Clarksdale" with Jimmy Page came with great moments.

I was lucky to meet Robert Plant in Wales in the summer of 1998. I was trekking here and there and staying in Maccynleth,
a town that is just 5 miles from Bron-Yr-Aur (which I hadn't noticed).
My camera had broken down while climbing Ben Nevis in the Western Highlands the week before, and I was pissed that the day
before I hadn't been able to take pics on top of the horse-shoe shaped mountain (with a "llynn" right in the middle) I'd walked up,
so I was walking to the newsagent's to buy a postcard of it. It was market day, a big one gathering lots of folks.
Suddenly, a few meters from the newsagent's, I heard voices calling behind me, louder and louder. As I was a stranger I didn't pay
attention, but the voices started yelling and I felt a tap on my shoulder. A guy asked me for a lighter (I as smoking a cigarette) and
he said it wasn't for him, but "the man over there". Robert Plant... I was so glad I met him - I told him I was, and added I had "all the
albums" of course. He answered: "You're my buddy", which he could... He asked me where I was from, and he told me "We'll play in
Paris next November". I asked: "You mean with Jimmy?" He nodded. "By the way, if you want to see him, he's in the inn behind you -
I turned round, the inn's name was "the White Lion", their place... I said I didn't want to bother him (which of course I regretted
afterwards).
I had just bought a John Lee Hooker compilation in the market place, and we had a short chat about it.
He asked me if I liked "Walking into Clarksdale", and I said "yes, a lot", but I actually did a few weeks later. At that time I didn't like it much.

That was a ood day. ;)

I had bought Dave's "Crazy from the Heat" at Tower Records in Glasgow, which I read at night after my daytime trekking. In my car I played
DLR Band. Great year, great summer. :)

Von Halen
06-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Oh, come on...it's not nearly as awful as you make it. To me, there is a really cool Gram Parsons/Emmylou Harris vibe to it, which truly comes to form on this track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfR8gaulJ54

Chef, I think you over cooked your brain.

That's 5:25 of my life I can't get back. Fuck you Chef! :mad2:

DLR Bridge
06-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Robert Plant's solo career is uneven.

True enough. I'd say there are probably 20 great songs since 1981. Unfortunately, a whole lotta flab to go along with it. I love the song Little By Little off of Shaken 'n Stirred.

Kristy
06-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Walking into Clarksdale" with Jimmy Page came with great moments.:)

That album was horrendous! Clarksdale was one of those offerings where the intentions were good but the production wasn't. The mix of the recording is more than off - it's beyond terrible almost to the stage of unlistenable. The hiring of Steve Abini is a mystery. Maybe Plant and his butt-fuck buddy thought it wold be a great idea to maintain a relevance in the culture of the 90's but seeing how Plant makes his living being a singer and seeing how Albini detest singers maybe all the dope they took in the 70's was catching up with them. Clarksdale was not only a commercial flop from a production standpoint the songwriting was just as confusing and disjointed. No doubt all you Zeppelin Cretans ate it up just like you did with that Page/Coverdale nonsense or when the Black Crowes were blowing that FAT fuck for gas money. Clarksdale is not even suitable for the used CD bin much less the dumpster it sits in where many copies of that crap ended up.

Kristy
06-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Chef, I think you over cooked your brain.

That's 5:25 of my life I can't get back. Fuck you Chef! :mad2:

We get it, Von. You're obviously gay. Your homoerotic fixation for David Lee Roth is a dead giveaway.

Von Halen
06-13-2013, 01:17 PM
We get it, Von. You're obviously gay. Your homoerotic fixation for David Lee Roth is a dead giveaway.

Fuck. Got me.

Kristy
06-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Fuck. Got me.

Don't worry, little boy. I'm sure a leather bar will show up in your antiquated hick town someday.

Von Halen
06-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Don't worry, little boy. I'm sure a leather bar will show up in your antiquated hick town someday.

Maybe I will open one.

You should come visit me.

LoungeMachine
06-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Maybe I will open one.

Careful.....

It'll get pop geared ;)

Kristy
06-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Maybe I will open one.

Depends. Are you a bear? Bears in leather is an abomination, you know.

Von Halen
06-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Careful.....

It'll get pop geared ;)

Do you think Kristy shaves?

Her moustache, not her cock. I hate a guy with a moustache.

Von Halen
06-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Depends. Are you a bear? Bears in leather is an abomination, you know.

Is that you in your avatar? If it is, show me more.

Come on, let's take this to the ladies forum, and get freaky!

LoungeMachine
06-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Do you think Kristy shaves?

Her moustache, not her cock. I hate a guy with a moustache.

Sitting around stoned all day?

She has plenty of time to Manscape.

:gulp:

ThrillsNSpills
06-13-2013, 01:45 PM
That album was horrendous! Clarksdale was one of those offerings where the intentions were good but the production wasn't. The mix of the recording is more than off - it's beyond terrible almost to the stage of unlistenable. The hiring of Steve Abini is a mystery. Maybe Plant and his butt-fuck buddy thought it wold be a great idea to maintain a relevance in the culture of the 90's but seeing how Plant makes his living being a singer and seeing how Albini detest singers maybe all the dope they took in the 70's was catching up with them. Clarksdale was not only a commercial flop from a production standpoint the songwriting was just as confusing and disjointed. No doubt all you Zeppelin Cretans ate it up just like you did with that Page/Coverdale nonsense or when the Black Crowes were blowing that FAT fuck for gas money. Clarksdale is not even suitable for the used CD bin much less the dumpster it sits in where many copies of that crap ended up.

Why on earth would you listen to CD's of bands that you detest?
You don't have to answer...it's not really important to me what you're thinking, just something for you to think about.

chefcraig
06-13-2013, 01:46 PM

Christ, that album rubs me the wrong way. And just what in the hell is the use of tremolo sounds overlaying the guitars on virtually every track? OK, as an occasional effect, it's wonderful. But to make it the predominate sound all over the place becomes tedious as all hell. To add insult to injury, the actual guitar playing underneath it all isn't exactly what one could call inspired to begin with.

About the only song that holds up is "When the World Was Young," mainly because it doesn't sound like anything else on the record. It is somewhat vital and sounds fresh, as if everyone in the room actually gave a shit about sounding alert, rather than rehashing old concepts. Unfortunately, rehashing old concepts seems to be the general theme of this tired album, which is what the entire Page/Plant Unledded idea originally sprang forth from.

The only thing remotely more cynical was the dire Page/Coverdale project, which fell in upon itself due to a rare sense of taste by the American public, whose general apathy toward the enterprise caused it's entire collapse before a tour could even be arranged. And having the misbegotten mush-head Vince Neil as an opening act couldn't have helped matters.

Kristy
06-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Why on earth would you listen to CD's of bands that you detest?
You don't have to answer...it's not really important to me what you're thinking, just something for you to think about.

I'll listen to just about anything. Once. Give me some credit. I listened to all your failures in life, Thrills.

Von Halen
06-13-2013, 01:51 PM
I'll listen to just about anything.

The first post in this thread is proof enough of that...

Kristy
06-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Christ, that album rubs me the wrong way. And just what in the hell is the use of tremolo sounds overlaying the guitars on virtually every track?

Again, that goes back to the hiring of Steve Albini who only seems to like instrumentation when it's one of two things: loud and obnoxious. Also, for two guys who have been deemed to be geniuses by their fans base Clarksdale lacks having a soul. The whole thing was a muddled mess from beginning to end.

VHscraps
06-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Wasn't she part of the recent Band of Joy work that Plant put together?

The original Band of Joy sounded a mite different ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJsAUczoaM0

sonrisa salvaje
06-13-2013, 06:00 PM
True enough. I'd say there are probably 20 great songs since 1981. Unfortunately, a whole lotta flab to go along with it. I love the song Little By Little off of Shaken 'n Stirred.

That's a killer tune. I always loved Big Log from Principle of Moments. As a matter of fact, i thought that album was pretty solid cover to cover but it appears i am in the minority. Hell, i liked a lot of stuff off of Now and Zen..Lighten Up, Ship of Fools. Where i thought Plant went off the rails, which you can't call it solo, was that Rockin' at Midnight stuff. What was that band called?

sonrisa salvaje
06-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Kristy, i saw something that reminded me of you today. I saw the Heartbreaker tour is going on featuring Heart and Jason Bonham's Led Zep Experience. I had to chuckle thinking of the torture you would be enduring if you had to go.

Terry
06-13-2013, 06:47 PM
I like what Plant has done overall with his solo career; not everything about it was compelling, but truth be told not every single track of Zeppelin's was compelling, either.

Around 1988 or so, I wished Plant would have reformed with Page, Jones and Jason Bonham and did a 'Zep Reunion' tour, but as the years passed I'm actually glad Plant has pretty much resisted that - too many old big name bands get together as it is, and very few of them live up to their own past.

chuckjitsu
06-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Most puzzling to me about Plant is his ambivalence toward his history in Zeppelin. They haven't been a band for 30+ years but he just can't/won't do anything other than one-off shows as Led Zeppelin and to me his reticence goes beyond the standard "not wanting to live in the past" , "tarnish the legacy", "respect for Bonham" type stuff. Over the years, it's always been Percy who has shit canned any full scale reunions/tours/albums. Seems like he's been close to committing a few times over the years but always backs out before fully committing. Nobody is more protective of the Zeppelin legacy than Page. He wouldn't put subpar (by his standards) Zeppelin stuff out there, so if he's was willing to roll and thought they could do it well, i'm not quite sure what Percy's hang-up was/is. His vocals have been, how shall i phrase it...not good...for a while now, so please don't tour or do anything as Zeppelin! (And please stop doing Zeppelin covers in other genres. I don't want or need to hear a countrified version of Black Dog or a polka version of Whole Lotta Love)

Production values aside (which i agree weren't very good), i liked Clarksdale but thought it was a downer of an album. I thought Coverdale/Page had some decent tunes, as did Outrider.

Zing!
06-13-2013, 08:44 PM
That's a killer tune. I always loved Big Log from Principle of Moments. As a matter of fact, i thought that album was pretty solid cover to cover but it appears i am in the minority. Hell, i liked a lot of stuff off of Now and Zen..Lighten Up, Ship of Fools. Where i thought Plant went off the rails, which you can't call it solo, was that Rockin' at Midnight stuff. What was that band called?

The Honeydrippers. A good Plant solo tune that I like is Tie-dye on the Highway.

Matt White
06-13-2013, 08:52 PM
His 1st solo cd PICTUES AT ELEVEN is very good.....from there its gets kinda spotty.....he needs somebody to write the music....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL5092D67DB70ABB5C&feature=player_detailpage&v=I4-nhkqpf8s

DLR Bridge
06-13-2013, 09:00 PM
A good Plant solo tune that I like is Tie-dye on the Highway.
Yeah! That would make my top 20. Had a nice, infectious riff.

DLR Bridge
06-13-2013, 09:08 PM
You gotta admire his following Zeppelin without sounding like Zeppelin at all. So much of the guitar work on those early albums had that plucky, clean channel bridge pick up. He had the great Tony Levin on bass, but bass seemed absent almost everywhere in the mix throughout the '80s. There was also Phil Collins on the kit with his signature fills. A decent enough drummer with absolutely no intention of trying to cop Bonzo. You could say Plant gave a valiant effort to reinventing his career, and for the most part, it worked. Then he vanished for 6 or 7 years.

Kristy
06-13-2013, 10:03 PM
'Sea Of Love' - pure pop cheese. Has a bit of that gay element in it so Von loves this:

Terry
06-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Most puzzling to me about Plant is his ambivalence toward his history in Zeppelin. They haven't been a band for 30+ years but he just can't/won't do anything other than one-off shows as Led Zeppelin and to me his reticence goes beyond the standard "not wanting to live in the past" , "tarnish the legacy", "respect for Bonham" type stuff. Over the years, it's always been Percy who has shit canned any full scale reunions/tours/albums. Seems like he's been close to committing a few times over the years but always backs out before fully committing. Nobody is more protective of the Zeppelin legacy than Page. He wouldn't put subpar (by his standards) Zeppelin stuff out there, so if he's was willing to roll and thought they could do it well, i'm not quite sure what Percy's hang-up was/is. His vocals have been, how shall i phrase it...not good...for a while now, so please don't tour or do anything as Zeppelin! (And please stop doing Zeppelin covers in other genres. I don't want or need to hear a countrified version of Black Dog or a polka version of Whole Lotta Love)

Production values aside (which i agree weren't very good), i liked Clarksdale but thought it was a downer of an album. I thought Coverdale/Page had some decent tunes, as did Outrider.

I think Page, while obviously proud of what Zeppelin was, would jump at a reunion in a heartbeat...regardless of the condition of Plant's vocals.

Plant has said that part of his issue with reforming Zeppelin was control: the longer his solo career went on, the more control he had over it. To reform Zeppelin would mean giving up a degree of that control back to Page. Some of it clearly has to do with the friendship he had with John Bonham that went back to before Zeppelin was even formed, and the sense of loss he had over Bonham's death, something which [Plant] in some ways never got over. Also, Plant has said that one of the aspects he enjoyed about Zeppelin was that stylistically they were never content to just do the same thing over and over again. One of the things Plant mentioned that irks him about a lot of classic rock acts out on the road now is that they seem to him to be like a bunch of cabaret groups, churning out the oldies regardless of ability re: age.

Walking Into Clarksdale wasn't the Second Coming of Zeppelin, but in some ways it was a bit more honest than the Coverdale/Page album, which (although it had some tracks I enjoyed) reeked of some hare-brained scheme on the part of Geffen Records and John Kalodner to approximate Zeppelin, authenticated by Page's presence.

The remaining members of Zep had a couple of shit one-offs since 1980, but also Page and Plant did a fair amount of touring together in the mid-1990s and played capably. The O2 gig was quite good in spots, sort of not so good in others, but overall solid. It'll never be enough for those Zep superfans who want to see the band play no matter the level of ability or advancing age, but whatever. The one thing Zep has going for them is a level of mystique, in that they did their thing for a decade and then stopped. Nothing against The Rolling Stones or The Who, but those bands have kinda hung in there a bit too long. The one thing that can't be said about Zeppelin is that they overstayed their welcome.

Seshmeister
06-13-2013, 10:19 PM
To be fair these bands can't win.

If they keep going everyone says they aren't as good anymore and they owe their fans not to, if they stop then people constantly hassle them saying they owe their fans a reunion.

Satan
06-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Kinda too bad the "XYZ band" fizzled out before it really started. Word here in Hell is that Percy never got along with the Yes guys, so he bailed out early. And Page's smack use fucked up the ability to get much done, so eventually Squire & White found another guitar player named Trevor Rabin and changed the name of the band to Cinema, and then changed it back to "Yes" when they realized they weren't going to sell the damn record without Jon Anderson.

Would have liked to have heard Plant's take on this though.... because Squire really ain't a great singer.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sykd7S4dxEw

Kristy
06-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Age caught up with these boring asscrabs. Just like it did with Van Halen in 2012. The world has changed and the culture has moved on. And I know many of you love living in 1984 as if it never went away but Krist does it make for some of the most boring "reunion music ever. Living life at 65 is vastly different at 25 yet is is Plant who only realizes this. So fucking what if he wants to sing with a Americana act? More power to him! Even Roth tried a embarrassingly bluegrass act for a while did he not?

Kristy
06-13-2013, 10:45 PM
To be fair these bands can't win.

If they keep going everyone says they aren't as good anymore and they owe their fans not to, if they stop then people constantly hassle them saying they owe their fans a reunion.

Bullshit. They have more than enough to retire on. The only people they owe are their debt collectors for rehab clinic treatment.

DLR Bridge
06-13-2013, 11:06 PM
The greater the following, the greater the expectations. The big bands will always have a hard time evolving while attempting to "give the people what they want". Lesser known bands have it easy with producing new material for their cult following.

Kristy, I noticed your Fixx quote in your sig. Are you a fan? I've always thought they were under rated and got swept aside by the U2. They put out a new CD last year that is quite good. I think they're on the every 5 years crawl out of hibernation plan. They can probably take their semi-failed music career another 20 years at that rate. No one will give'em any shit for it, and they'll be able to pay for their utilities. Not a bad deal.

Kristy
06-14-2013, 12:02 AM
My dad used to listen to them. Think it was a month or two ago I saw 'Reach The Beach' "Remastered" so I just had to buy it (along with a Greatest Hits). They sound dated with all that cheesy 80's synth but what isn't these days? Good group, though.

http://funkyimg.com/u2/289/538/Reach_the_Beach.jpg

DLR Bridge
06-14-2013, 12:24 AM
Cy Curnin and Jamie West-Oram. The eighties answer to Mick and Keith! :biggrin:

But seriously, both very creative and over looked.

Kristy
06-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Yeah, they were kind of an intellectual synth pop act.

chuckjitsu
06-14-2013, 01:21 AM
I think Page, while obviously proud of what Zeppelin was, would jump at a reunion in a heartbeat...regardless of the condition of Plant's vocals.

Plant has said that part of his issue with reforming Zeppelin was control: the longer his solo career went on, the more control he had over it. To reform Zeppelin would mean giving up a degree of that control back to Page. Some of it clearly has to do with the friendship he had with John Bonham that went back to before Zeppelin was even formed, and the sense of loss he had over Bonham's death, something which [Plant] in some ways never got over. Also, Plant has said that one of the aspects he enjoyed about Zeppelin was that stylistically they were never content to just do the same thing over and over again. One of the things Plant mentioned that irks him about a lot of classic rock acts out on the road now is that they seem to him to be like a bunch of cabaret groups, churning out the oldies regardless of ability re: age.

Walking Into Clarksdale wasn't the Second Coming of Zeppelin, but in some ways it was a bit more honest than the Coverdale/Page album, which (although it had some tracks I enjoyed) reeked of some hare-brained scheme on the part of Geffen Records and John Kalodner to approximate Zeppelin, authenticated by Page's presence.

The remaining members of Zep had a couple of shit one-offs since 1980, but also Page and Plant did a fair amount of touring together in the mid-1990s and played capably. The O2 gig was quite good in spots, sort of not so good in others, but overall solid. It'll never be enough for those Zep superfans who want to see the band play no matter the level of ability or advancing age, but whatever. The one thing Zep has going for them is a level of mystique, in that they did their thing for a decade and then stopped. Nothing against The Rolling Stones or The Who, but those bands have kinda hung in there a bit too long. The one thing that can't be said about Zeppelin is that they overstayed their welcome.

I get that there's a certain level of Velveeta when it comes to Coverdale, but his album with Page didn't seem contrived to me. I found the mid 90s Unledded stuff pretty uninteresting. Ditch Bob's backing band and the string section and call up Bonham & Jones and do it proper. Oh well.

I respect that they hung it up when they did and haven't really cared about any type of Zeppelin reunion in like 2 decades. The most interesting thing to me has been Plant's weird (for lack of a better term) psychology about Zeppelin. I haven't read every interview the dude's done, but of what i've read, it seems to me like his feelings toward that era are more complicated than what he's talked about. I don't know. Maybe i'm seeing something that isn't there, but i just get the feeling that there's more to the story than Percy is willing to talk about.

ELVIS
06-14-2013, 02:59 AM
WTF is this bullshit, a speaking tour ??

Holy fuck...:rolleyes:

And then then the song starts...

Really ??

:mad2:

Seshmeister
06-14-2013, 05:56 AM
And I know many of you love living in 1984 as if it never went away but Krist does it make for some of the most boring "reunion music ever.

You getting a god complex now? :)

binnie
06-14-2013, 06:03 AM
an intellectual synth pop act.

Who undoubtedly cuddled after......

DLR Bridge
06-14-2013, 06:07 AM
Who undoubtedly cuddled after......

Not sure what that's supposed to mean in this case, but there are many 'compelling riffs' to be found throughout their body of work.

binnie
06-14-2013, 06:15 AM
Not sure what that's supposed to mean in this case, but there are many 'compelling riffs' to be found throughout their body of work.

It means that the term 'intellectual synth pop' sounds like a synonym for 'bed-wetting girly-boys'. :D

Bit of a kiss of death label.

binnie
06-14-2013, 06:16 AM
It should be noted that I quite like The Fixx......

DLR Bridge
06-14-2013, 06:26 AM
I dig.

Kristy
06-14-2013, 10:22 AM
You getting a god complex now? :)

Had it for a while now, actually. Where have you been?

sonrisa salvaje
06-14-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm not trying to derail the topic but i have to chime in on the Fixx. Love that band and Reach the Beach should be in everyone's collection.

Satan
06-14-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't know if it's really fair to call the Fixx a "synth pop" band. True, they came out of that era, but unlike most of those bands, they actually had a guitar player, and from this Devil's recollection (haven't listened to them in years) most of the songs were written around a guitar riff (compelling or otherwise).

So pop, definitely. Synth? certainly not compared to Depeche Mode, Devo, Human League, etc.

You have to respect a band who managed to get a song about nuclear annhilation released as their first single at the height of Reagan/BCE Cold War hysteria.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMNPMjsM_Yo

DLR Bridge
06-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Spot on Devil.

Anonymous
06-14-2013, 04:03 PM
I kinda dug Led Zeppelin until I realized they had stolen all their material.

I won't turn it off or leave the room if it's playing, & I might karaoke Stairway to heaven every now & then, but meh...

Wasn't that interested to begin with. Other bands from that era held/hold my attention much more than they do.

As for what they did after Zeppelin... well, me posting in this thread amounts to how much I give a fuck.

John Paul Jones is a hell of a musician, though. Maybe the only interesting thing about Zep.

Cheers! :beers:

Anonymous
06-14-2013, 04:07 PM
'Sea Of Love' - pure pop cheese. Has a bit of that gay element in it so Von loves this:

Von HAS been very curious about me ever since I came out.

I think it won't be long until I mount that fucker & ride his buggy into the sunset.

envy_me
06-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Von HAS been very curious about me ever since I came out.

I think it won't be long until I mount that fucker & ride his buggy into the sunset.

Do you think he's cute?

Angel
06-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Do you think he's cute?

Doesn't matter. He won't be looking at his face.

Von Halen
06-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Mean people... :D

Terry
06-14-2013, 08:22 PM
I get that there's a certain level of Velveeta when it comes to Coverdale, but his album with Page didn't seem contrived to me. I found the mid 90s Unledded stuff pretty uninteresting. Ditch Bob's backing band and the string section and call up Bonham & Jones and do it proper. Oh well.

I respect that they hung it up when they did and haven't really cared about any type of Zeppelin reunion in like 2 decades. The most interesting thing to me has been Plant's weird (for lack of a better term) psychology about Zeppelin. I haven't read every interview the dude's done, but of what i've read, it seems to me like his feelings toward that era are more complicated than what he's talked about. I don't know. Maybe i'm seeing something that isn't there, but i just get the feeling that there's more to the story than Percy is willing to talk about.

My take on it from what I've read is that Plant just feels the need to try new things and explore different musical avenues, and doesn't particularly feel the need to go out and sing a set full of Zeppelin tunes...basically because he's done that already...and with the Unledded stuff it was important to Plant that the songs be approached with an ear for playing them differently.

He just doesn't have a burning desire to go out and try and recreate Zeppelin as it was, note-for-note. I'm sort of in the same boat as you in that it's literally been twenty years since I had any interest in the band trying to reform, and even if Plant got back together with Page, Jones and Bonham's son now and toured, it wouldn't be something I'd really have strong feelings about seeing. The O2 gig was decent, and what Zeppelin did release when they were active as a band still holds up well enough for me.

78/84 guy
06-16-2013, 12:29 PM
No need for a full Zep reunion at this point. It should have been the Page/ Plant tours. Or after the o2 gig. If they do a few more one off shows that would be cool but at this point to much time has passed. Plant hit home runs with Now & Zen & Manic Nirvana but that was it for me. Good tours for those albums also. Some of Fate Of Nations was good. I don't get this country bluegrass stuff at all. He say's doing Zep again is stupid but will do a bluegrass version of Black Dog !? O.K. Percy. I guess if he is having fun more power too him. I have no interest.

Hardrock69
06-17-2013, 10:04 AM
You know, you can fucking blow me when hanging from a bridge.

So...proof that Krusty is a guy hatebot. I was unaware that hatebots had a gender preference.

Hardrock69
06-17-2013, 10:04 AM
I think he married her..............

He DID marry her.

ThrillsNSpills
06-17-2013, 06:02 PM
I never forgave Robert Plant from not singing Over the Hills and Far Away live it its proper register.

as opposed to

Kristy
06-18-2013, 12:57 AM
Over The Hills & Far Aghey

ELVIS
06-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Is that what your tramp stamp says ??

Jack68
06-19-2013, 08:14 PM
It should be noted that I quite like The Fixx......

Me also.

Hardrock69
06-19-2013, 11:10 PM
I don't. Fuck those motherfuckers.

Kristy
06-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Dude, you have (serious) issues.

DLR Bridge
06-19-2013, 11:31 PM
I don't. Fuck those motherfuckers.

Never knew a U2 fan who liked the Fixx.

Phantoms is a great album. Great album cover, too.

FORD
06-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Never knew a U2 fan who liked the Fixx.

Which is ironic, considering The Fixx arguably copied U2's approach and was trying to appeal to the same audience.

And by that, I don't mean they were directly copying U2's sound (that would be Simple Minds) but in the sense that they wanted to be a guitar based band competing in the synth-pop era, and that they wrote songs about war, politics, and a little bit of spiritual stuff. Which was the very territory that U2 had established themselves in, a couple of years earlier.

I owned more U2 albums than I did Fixx albums, but I liked their early stuff.... right up through "Secret Separation" or whatever that record was called. I think they broke up soon after that.... probably have done reunions, but I haven't really paid a lot of attention to them since the original run.

Kristy
06-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Ever get stoned and look at the cover of 'Reach The Beach'? Freaky
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_LHhNXbPmPY/TeWmkpuz1PI/AAAAAAAAAvE/hYVdBCftIak/s1600/folder.jpg

What the fuck is up with his hand?

Kristy
07-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Okay, I'm not baked right now but later on I will be and as of today (the 2nd of July in the year of our holy LAWD) I picked up in the used bin:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/NRNArt/Fixx--Beautiful-Friction-album-cover.jpg

Sounds like good baking music to me. So they mellowed a bit and Cy does not at all look like a man over 50. The rest of them, however, look like death warmed over.

Von Halen
07-03-2013, 10:49 AM
You listen to some really shitty music.

No wonder you smoke all that dope.

ELVIS
07-03-2013, 11:06 AM
So if Kruss is angry does that mean he's baked or unbaked ??

ELVIS
07-03-2013, 11:07 AM
The Fixx sound as if they are in need of a fix...

That's some pretentious sounding bullshit, eh Von ??

Kristy
07-03-2013, 12:30 PM
You listen to some really shitty music.

No wonder you smoke all that dope.

You know how to make my day, Von.

sadaist
07-03-2013, 12:33 PM

They were really huge momentarily in the 80's. Was it Stand Or Fall? What year was that? And Red Skies is still a fucking incredible song. Holds up to this day.

Von Halen
07-03-2013, 12:39 PM

Good Lord. It almost made me want to get high and suck Kristy's cock!

Kristy
07-03-2013, 12:54 PM
If you could only stop masturbating to Roth.

Von Halen
07-03-2013, 12:57 PM
If you could only stop masturbating to Roth.

Why would I do that?

Kristy
07-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Exactly.

DLR Bridge
07-03-2013, 01:38 PM

That particular tune is a bit of a sleeper, but there are some rockers on that CD as well. That guitarist is high up on my underrated list.

sonrisa salvaje
07-03-2013, 02:14 PM
They were really huge momentarily in the 80's. Was it Stand Or Fall? What year was that? And Red Skies is still a fucking incredible song. Holds up to this day.

Not to mention the hits off of Reach the Beach which were One Thing Leads to Another as well as Saved By Zero. That album cover to cover is great.