PDA

View Full Version : Hilary Hahn

Kristy
06-14-2013, 08:01 PM
As you may not know or ever care, I have been in a stalking/faux-lesbian obsession relationship with Hilary for what, 9 years now. Maybe it's her sapphire icy blue eyes. Who can say?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CI-VmqRqvbU/Tl77zyWn1cI/AAAAAAAAKW4/p9Q4Xrfj17I/s1600/Hilary%2BHahn_gal.jpg

Ever since her Edward Elgar violin concerto Op. 61 in B Minor this women has captured my soul. Of course she stole it for good when she teamed up with the Asian chick for those Mozart violin and piano sonatas in F minor. No one fucking "rawks" Mozart like Hilary. Now...I'm not to sure what to make of her. Hauschka? Yeah, okay he's talented but he's also so god damn boring and pretentious. 'Small Pieces' was wEiRd -like Kraftwerk on classical acid. And maybe Hahn is bored. After all when you "nail" all 24 of Paganini's Caprices what else is there in life to do? Hahn and Hauschka just don't pair off. The album borders into the Twilight Zone of null. It's like they're trying to go all Brian Eno 'Lux' here (which was fucking brilliant by the way) but neither of them knows the territory so they choose not to explore it beyond their own comfort zone bounds. Eh, fuck me. I can't stop listening to it.

Anonymous
06-14-2013, 08:29 PM
I'd pay good money for the privilege of seeing you, huh... "handle" that icy eyed girl.

Where's the music?

Cheers! :beers:

Kristy
06-14-2013, 08:47 PM
"Improvisation..." Did you hear that? Fucking Hahn. You think by now she would have a clue as to what improvisation is. Of course improvisation is rather difficult when there are only two musicians in the room feeding off of each other's energy, virtuousness and experience. Hahn let me down.

Now, if you want to know what improvisation is, I highly recommend this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-K5xGjLR8Rmw/UWg8KrG8F4I/AAAAAAAAR5o/kEOmnEzZ8HI/s1600/hagar-s-song-b-iext20904756.jpg

No one in the history of jazz has a more distinctive alto tone than Lloyd - well, maybe Paul Desmond. Here we also have two musicians both highly talented but unlike Hahn they not afraid to venture out and go against the grain. Here you have a fine example of the old teaching the young and the young willing to learn. Something Hauschka completely fails to do with Hahn. Lloyd is a dying breed of outstanding American musicianship - like Hahn. I'm sure if Hahn heard this record she wouldn't understand it much less grasp the reasons as to why. Stick to Mozart sonatas, Hahn. Let the big boys play.

Nitro Express
06-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Whatever floats your boat. If you actually have to think about whether it's good or not then it's not that great. It's magic when it simply floors you and you have no idea why it just does.

Kristy
06-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Displacement factor usually floats my boat.

Satan
06-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Hagar's song??

I'm hesitant to listen to anything with a title like that! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d070.gif

Kristy
06-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Hagar in this case refers to Lloyd great, great grandmother who was a slave.