PDA

View Full Version : ZZ Top At Bonnaroo.....

Hardrock69
06-16-2013, 12:09 PM
It is Bonnaroo weekend here in Middle TN.....last night ZZ Top headlined......was streamed live at www.bonnaroo.com (you can go check it out now to see what is happening).

My best friend in Nashville directed the live video shoot.

So....was watching these three cats lay down the law and came to a few further conclusions in my life-long examination (from near and far) of all things Top.....

Of late I have complained that the band no longer tears peoples' heads off the way they did when they wuz youngsters.

And I recognize that is perfectly acceptable in the realms of logic.....

But what occurred to me last night was a realization of what one of the main reasons they are still around, and still popular.....

Like most bands who have been around over 40 years.....most fans wanna hear the big hits that made them famous back in the day, and not so much their current output.

We have seen this, we know it is just part of the human condition.

What sets apart ZZ Top from everyone else is that are just so fucking unique as an entity.

Sure they had their hits, they have been touring a LOT over the years, and are still here.

You cannot say anything other than Billy Gibbons is good as a guitarist. But it is just that he is so much better at being Billy Gibbons than anyone else on the planet. He no be shredmen, he no be stage runner, he no be fire-breathing fire guitar fire fire FIRE FIRE! man....

He be Billy Gibbons.....

Frank Beard.....I wonder....how good he is as a drummer....I mean, I will say this....he has always had good meter, real solid....actually has the drum style favored in Nashville....very minimalist...just the bare essentials.....so.....is a he a virtuoso jazz drummer in his spare time? Or does he spend his days not even thinking about drums, but showing up and playing the gig and then off to the races?

One of their strong points is that they do not play a lot of fast stuff. The way they would put it, just a slow cruise in a 50s Cadillac.....

Though I much prefer fast, fire-breathing ass-kicking fucking METAL music, I like ZZ Top, and always have.

Dusty Hill.....again, does not appear onstage to have any real fire-level chops (more like flambe), but that is not what ZZ Top is all about anyway.....the entire band, all three people, leave enough space in their music to drive a starship through.....Frank provides a framework, Dusty adds his 2 centavos, then Billy adds his, then any vocali-zay-shuns get laid down over the top to provide the songs literary tag lines.

They write good solid radio friendly music, from decades of writing and performing.....they are on a level that is uniquely their own.

The whole visual aspect with the beards.....I mean, they had that by 1980...before MTV even arrived.

But the moniker "Little Ol' Band From Texas" is the best possible description of these three cretins that could be imagined.

As a band they are decidedly unique....even "charming" in some aspects (hey, they are far from "menacing", lol). And therein lies their appeal to the public.

They are great in that a) the music speaks for itself, b)they look unique, c)they do not make the headlines at all for the most part. There is no fucking scandal, no tabloid juicy gossip...about the only thing radical that happened in their entire career OUTSIDE of their career has been when Dusty was messing with a Derringer and accidentally shot himself, lol. d)They are the sole three original members. There have been no replacements (though they have used other drummers on certain albums once in a great while), nobody has died (helping them to achieve non-scandal status), and their have been no public mention of any disputes, squabbles, arguments...no rubbish about "musical differences".

In fact, they have done what every band on earth aspires to do. Make videos with cool guitars, hot rods and hot chicks, sell millions of records and play for billions of adoring people, have a good reputation both within the business and out in the public arena, they are not assholes, and they have stuck together like glue for over 40 years.

Too bad all bands can't do that.

So last night I just had further confirmation that their uniqueness has contributed to their popularity. That's all.

Lastly, you wanna see the show?

It is here, in it's entirety...

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/34425241

Karma86
06-27-2013, 08:01 AM
Yea so true! Any popular band out there is going to experience that.

We cant deny that we want to hear the old stuff,the stuff that made them popular.
I to this day would rather buy the full on CD/Album. Listen to the new stuff as much as the old. At a show I like to hear the new more. The airplay is worse we still hear the old stuff.

We go to there shows to see and hear there new stuff and add the older popular music just to go back in time a bit too.
ZZtop has been an ICON of the late 70s and 80s yeah there elimantor album made them the ultimate ICON with there SHARP DRESSED MAN video on MTV but I like ther older stuff more Newer stuff is good too!

FORD
06-27-2013, 12:08 PM
http://groundctrl.s3.amazonaws.com/clients/zztoplive/media/14/11/images/assets/medium.WGljwAAC8jiZVQnm0PvDFvU_3jenRXsNc5xDJ_M17Zw .jpg

Available now - ZZ TOP: THE COMPLETE STUDIO ALBUMS (1970-1990) boxed set. Celebrate the Texas trio's music legacy with this 10-CD collection, spanning 100 tracks – including their hit albums like RIO GRANDE MUD, EL LOCO, and ELIMINATOR.

Each album is presented in a wallet sleeve with faithfully reproduced original artwork. And for the first time on CD, get the original 1970's mixes for ZZ TOPS' FIRST ALBUM, and other long-requested original mixes.

The bad news - apparently there's no "new" bonus material here, just the albums.

The good news - as previously mentioned, these are the original mixes of the albums, and not the Six Pack alterations.

The best news - Amazon's selling it for $40 (http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Studio-Albums-1970-1990/dp/B00CQGU9GG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1368472308&sr=8-3&keywords=zz+top+studio+albums). Presumably a good price elsewhere too. This is probably the best value for a box set since Garth Brooks repackaged his first 6 albums in the late 90s.

Hardrock69
06-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Interesting.

Yeah, I noticed on the "fucked with" version of La Grange how there was a reverb on the drums that did not exist on the original.

Good thing they are using the original mixes.

I watched a large portion of the Bonnaroo performance again last night, and with repeated viewings, I have become more impressed......sure they are not as energetic as they once were, but for a 3-piece band, they have a really solid and full sound. Listening to Dusty Hill playing bass while Billy goes off on a solo.....sure he is playing absolutely basic stuff....but it is exactly what is required to make the songs work. This show is going into my permanent collection.

VHscraps
06-28-2013, 03:54 AM
http://groundctrl.s3.amazonaws.com/clients/zztoplive/media/14/11/images/assets/medium.WGljwAAC8jiZVQnm0PvDFvU_3jenRXsNc5xDJ_M17Zw .jpg

The bad news - apparently there's no "new" bonus material here, just the albums.

The good news - as previously mentioned, these are the original mixes of the albums, and not the Six Pack alterations.

The best news - Amazon's selling it for $40 (http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Studio-Albums-1970-1990/dp/B00CQGU9GG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1368472308&sr=8-3&keywords=zz+top+studio+albums). Presumably a good price elsewhere too. This is probably the best value for a box set since Garth Brooks repackaged his first 6 albums in the late 90s.

It's the exact same as the recent VH six pack box, right down to the cover design.

Jérôme Frenchise
06-28-2013, 04:11 AM
I got the "Rio Grande Mud" original mix reissue - my fave Top. Sounds perfect.

Cheers to Hardrock for this very well put exposé - the main thing is let's not expect from any artist/band to be the same
as they used to be and deliver just as much as they used to... which is hard not to do.
ZZ Top got old well. I don't care much about their post-1983 discography, but any time I happen to hear it I listen.

Props to the Top!

FORD
06-28-2013, 12:20 PM
It's the exact same as the recent VH six pack box, right down to the cover design.

Didn't even consider that, because last I heard, Warners had supposedly pulled the plug on the VH box. Guess they changed their minds?

Upon further investigation, there's also an Eagles box set in similar format. Which will no doubt piss off all the Eagles fans who might have paid a ridiculous price for a box set just a few years ago that had the same albums (also with no bonus material) for a price well over $100. And I might end up pissed off myself, if they release the Black Sabbath catalog in this format, considering I paid the ransom for that box.

The fact remains though, at least in the case of ZZ Top, that the original mixes of the first 5 albums were long overdue. It was a dumb idea to alter them in the first place, just to make them appeal to the trendies who only became ZZ Top fans in the era of synth drums and MTV videos with cars and hot chicks

Hardrock69
06-28-2013, 11:28 PM
I got the remastered Fandango a couple of years ago. That is my favorite album of theirs. Sounds great!

And that was a valid point...they have aged well.

78/84 guy
07-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Deguello is a fucking classic !