PDA

View Full Version : Those Goddamnable Fucks "One MisDirection" Are Here in Gnashville....

Hardrock69
06-19-2013, 11:14 PM
The only reason I am noting this is that it is on the 10 o'clock news. Buncha teenage gurls squealing like Elbow about those premanufactured units performing at Bridgestone Arena tonight.

How much cash did these kids' parents throw into the kitty to pay off the record labels to create this unoriginal bunch of squeaky-clean losers who are going to be in rehab before they even turn 21?

SilvioDante
06-20-2013, 06:02 AM
My daughter was there...... :)

Anyway, I think teen girls NEED crap like this at some point of their lives. Read the lyrics to their first single "That's What Makes You Beautiful". For a song aimed at that demo, it is pure brilliance!

Good news for me, she is outgrowing them. Her tastes are changing.

fraroc
06-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Fuck the fact that awesome new rock bands like Airborne and The Treatment are reduced to playing in tiny community theatres while these fucks get to sell out Madison Square Garden and fucking Michigan Stadium for multiple nights in a row.

One of the things I truly hate about today's music is that people who go to their concerts aren't getting their money's worth. All of these boy bands and rapper's shows are them lip synching to music that they most likley did not write and to go backstage and meet someone that may be good looking but did absolutley NOTHING musically is an absolute fucking rip off and I don't care how much shit I get for saying this.

SilvioDante
06-20-2013, 05:41 PM
This kind of crap music is as old as pop music its self. Fabian, Elvis, Bobby Sherman, Leif Garrett, David AND Shaun Cassidy, Debbie Gibson, heck, even The Beatles were a teen idol band. Unlike the others, The Beatles actually had talent.

If we killed all the teen idols now, the music industry will still be corrupt. They know that the main music consumer is the teenage girl. Its a fact. You market to who is spending the money. The way it is, the way it will always be.....

(Doesn't mean I agree, just the facts)

FORD
06-20-2013, 06:16 PM
This kind of crap music is as old as pop music its self. Fabian, Elvis, Bobby Sherman, Leif Garrett, David AND Shaun Cassidy, Debbie Gibson,

Well, yes and no......

Yes, all of the previous bubblegum mindless cookie cutter acts came and went. But the difference is.... they WENT.

Generally because they filled a void in the music industry when everything with talent disappeared by one means or another.... Like in 1960, when Elvis was in the Army, Buddy Holly was dead, Jerry Lee Lewis was disgraced by marrying his own 13 year old cousin, Chuck Berry was in jail, and Little Richard became a minister and claimed rock n roll made him "a drug crazed homosexual".

That's when Fabian, Ricky Nelson, and others of the first bubblegum wave took over, and these corporate puppets ruled the charts until the Beach Boys, the Beatles, and Bob Dylan took over, paving the way for others who actually wrote songs and played instruments.

Similar thing in the era of Leif Garrett and Shaun Cassidy. They appealed to my sister and others of her age group at the same time that many of their older siblings (not me) were listening to disco - which was just as corporatized and void of actual musical talent, but not geared towards 10- 12 year old girls, so faster than you could say "Da Doo Run Run", Keith Partridge's little brother stepped up. And then in short order - THANK GOD - there came Van Halen and punk rock to remind everybody that you could write songs, play instruments, and do so under an average of 8 minutes a song, which is where the early 70s bands went wrong (see the Yes album "Tales of Topagraphic Oceans", for example).

New Kids On The Block - Even though Poison, Slaughter, and the rest of the whiny transvestite cheese ballad bands had this territory well covered in the late 80's, there's always that segment of the population who would have prevented their kids from listenign to that shit - as bland as it was - just because those prefabricated pretty boys had long hair. So a pedophile manager from Boston steps up with five little non musicians and teaches them to dance. Thankfully, all of the above drowned in a coffee fueled psunami from the Pacific Northwest.

So far, so good, right....

Unfortunately, right around the mid-90s, things changed and not for the better. Due to unprecedented corporate consolidation in both the radio and recording industries, the money hungry cocksuckers who churn out these mindless Ken & Barbie "singers" no longer have any motivation to limit them to a 18-24 month shelf life and then be done with them. Titney Spears and Justin Timberlake should have been long forgotten by the turn of the millenium, just like their bubblegum predecessors were. Incredibly (and disgustingly) enough, it's some 15 years later, and they are still around. Meanwhile bands who actually write songs and play instruments are getting harder and harder to find on the radio, unless it's a classic rock station. MTV??? Yeah, right. Even VH1, which came into being because MTV got tired of playing music is now just as bad. Oh sure, there's VH1 "Classic" if you're one of those people who doesn't mind paying $150/month to watch TV (whatever happened to McCain's "a la carte" Senate bill anyway??) and even that is essentially "classic rock radio" with pictures. If you're a new band that is composed of actual musicians good luck getting airplay.

And there's the difference. These little "One Direction" turds should be a flash in the pan, but more likely than not, one of them will be on Saturday Night Live at least once a year, and evetually we will be expected to believe that another one can convincingly play a tough detective on some TV cop show. (Naturally he'll be the one in the group with the arrest record)

Coyote
06-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Seems like the only way to go (as far as new bands/artists) is the independent route.

Setup a little label and release material through that. Look at Macklemore, he's indie, his single "Thrift shop" busted into the Billboard 200 and his album was downloaded some 80,000 times on iTunes in its first week. (over 500,000 so far...)

Who needs a major label these days?

cadaverdog
06-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Our parents thought the same thing about our music. Our kids will feel the same about their kids music.

Jack68
06-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Impossibe to get a ticket for my daughter(yeah right)here in ny without paying through the ole Ahole.

Kristy
06-20-2013, 07:28 PM
That's when Fabian, Ricky Nelson, and others of the first bubblegum wave took over, and these corporate puppets ruled the charts until the Beach Boys, the Beatles, and Bob Dylan took over, paving the way for others who actually wrote songs and played instruments.

I'm not so sure of that. Bubblegum was more of a late 60's to early 70's phenomenon first spawned by the likes of The Archies and that music was really a diabetic reaction to a lot of what Phil Spector was producing at the time. Teen idol acts like Fabian, Ricky Nelson, Dion, even the Everly Brothers did at times share a common denominator in that they penned the majority of their songs and that they could actually sing. I always thought Ricky Nelson had a beautiful voice. There will always be teen pop idol overnight acts the only diffy being they don't need talent as they do what the creators of South Park once said, "They make girls vaginas tingle." And that's really the secret of their success so to say.

FORD
06-20-2013, 08:04 PM
I'm not so sure of that. Bubblegum was more of a late 60's to early 70's phenomenon first spawned by the likes of The Archies and that music was really a diabetic reaction to a lot of what Phil Spector was producing at the time. Teen idol acts like Fabian, Ricky Nelson, Dion, even the Everly Brothers did at times share a common denominator in that they penned the majority of their songs and that they could actually sing. I always thought Ricky Nelson had a beautiful voice. There will always be teen pop idol overnight acts the only diffy being they don't need talent as they do what the creators of South Park once said, "They make girls vaginas tingle." And that's really the secret of their success so to say.

Admittedly, I use "bubblegum" as a generic term for any prefabricated, corporate controlled pretty face with little or no actual talen musical act, though the term itself was specifically coined for the late 60's/early 70's Buddha Records/Kasenetz & Katz and their assorted stables (as well as Don Kirshner's cartoon acts, once he lost control of the Monkees)

As far as Ricky Nelson goes, basically you have a kid who accidentally became a TV star, just because his parents had a TV show, and unlike Lucy & Desi, Ozzy and Harriet didn't see any reason to hire fake kids for the camera and actually used their own. Then apparently Ozzy (or whomever) decided it would be a good idea to cash in on this whole "rock n roll" thing, which was just taking off at the time, and so Ricky became a singer. They also backed him up with some top notch musicians like James Burton, so that didn't hurt either.

Of course Ricky is an example of someone who broke out of the bubblegum thing and made legitimate music. He's not alone in that one. The Monkees arguably did it, beginning with their third album. Sweet certainly did so... compare their early singles to "Desolation Boulevard" and it sounds like a completely different band. Which it was, because Brian Connolly sang on those singles, but he was backed up by studio musicians. (though the band did play on the B-sides, which explains why they were usually better songs)

Kristy
06-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Yeah, Kasenetz & Katz were really the ones responsible for a lot of that garbage. But I think bubblegum was more a marketing tool then that of image. Songs like 'Travelin' Man', 'Poor Little Fool', 'Lonesome Town', 'Believe What You Say' were wonderful tunes sung by Nelson and done in the day before studio gimmicky and Auto Tune. Teen idol or not, the man did have talent. Bubblegum to me is like Tommy Roe's 'Dizzy.' Incidentally, in a interview I read Joey Ramone said his biggest influences was Spector and bubblegum music as did Lou Reed.

FORD
06-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Yeah, Joey's Phil Spector idolization was pretty well known. Unfortunately it also manifested itself in an album called "End of the Century". And while Joey was obviously present on the entire album, the actual contributions of DeeDee, Johnny, and Marky are open to question. And by that, I mean THEY were the ones who questioned it!

Have to admit I like the demo versions on the remastered CD better than the "Spectorized" versions....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chZQgrs2NFY

FORD
06-20-2013, 08:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx4DZoalzUY

FORD
06-20-2013, 08:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA9BRCAPgzY

Kristy
06-20-2013, 11:42 PM
A lot of people claimed that record was the death of punk rock.

cadaverdog
06-21-2013, 07:16 AM
As far as Ricky Nelson goes, basically you have a kid who accidentally became a TV star, just because his parents had a TV show, and unlike Lucy & Desi, Ozzy and Harriet didn't see any reason to hire fake kids for the camera and actually used their own. Then apparently Ozzy (or whomever) decided it would be a good idea to cash in on this whole "rock n roll" thing, which was just taking off at the time, and so Ricky became a singer.

Not exactly. The Nelsons had a radio show and made a movie called "Here comes the Nelsons" before they even had a TV show. Ricky wanted to cut a record to impress a friend and Ozzy got him a record deal before he ever sang on Ozzy and Harriet. Ozzy used the show to promote Ricky's career that's why he started singing on the show. He hired Burton for his band because he was tired of the older jazz musicians he had been working with before. They just weren't into rock and roll so Ricky got some guys who were.

Hardrock69
06-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Great that your daughter got to go, Silvio.

As long as she outgrows it, that is cool.

I bet she was thrilled.

I have a friend who went to see New Kids On The Block a few days ago and she was totally freaking out, as she bought the VIP package and got to meet them.

Everyone gots their own taste in music, lol.

SilvioDante
06-21-2013, 03:40 PM
She did go see the Mighty Van Halen with me last year, so I'm trying to raise her right. She had a blast at VH also!

Like I said, she is starting to outgrow that stuff. Moving on to that acoustic, whinny Ed Sheeran crap. Going to see him at the Hard Rock in 2 weeks.

It's all phases I tell her. Right now, she just digs going to concerts. Thats cool by me.

sonrisa salvaje
06-21-2013, 03:56 PM
I am in the same boat with my daughter. One D is in Birmingham tonight and she has not let me hear the end of it. I told here there was no way i was going to spend 300-400 a ticket (only price you can get in the lower bowl). I paid about that amount -600.00 total - for 2 tickets for her and a friend to see Justin Bieber back in January. That still hurts.
Would your or my parents have paid 600 for us to see a concert when we were kids? Hell no.

Hardrock69
06-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Hell no. Especially since when I was a kid, concert tickets were like...4 dollars to see the top bands.....but then, gas was only 25 cents a gallon....so the bands had much lower overhead....

Matter of fact, my parents would not have paid for a ticket for me. As it was, they didn't. I had to buy tickets with my own hard-earnded coin.

SilvioDante
06-22-2013, 07:15 AM
Would your or my parents have paid 600 for us to see a concert when we were kids? Hell no.

Uhhh. no.

All her money. Her tix were like $100 for lower level. The meet & greet was like $300-400. A friend of her's did do that and 2 of the boys kissed her on the cheek. Sounds like a prostitution ring to me.

Every now and then, when I am cranky, I tell my kids the story of how the first VH concert I went to cost $14.50, service fees included. I had to mow 3 lawns for the money.

They look at me like I'm some old man that is complaining the candy bars use to only cost a nickle....

twonabomber
06-22-2013, 07:40 AM
My 11 yo niece has seen Taylor Swift twice. Real bad seats the first time, pretty good ones this time. Probably not $600 worth between the two though. She wants to learn how to play the guitar, so I'm thinking I'll nudge her toward the Runaways instead of Swift. She's been to see Miley Cyrus too, but I'm pretty sure she's grown out of that.

My sister in law is into country and does the meet and greets. I goof on my brother about what it costs and he says that's not his money spent on that, she's got her little babysitting thing going that covers that crap.

envy_me
06-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Damn, 600??? Although, I could pay that for Van Halen show. But that would have to include a meet and greet.
And Dave better fuck me for that amount. Understudy in form of Wolf isn't acceptable :D