27:33 Tell Me
32:26 All Join Our Hands
36:24 Wait
40:24 When The Children Cry
44:10 All You Need Is Rock & Roll
50:05 Lady Of The Valley.

Seshmeister
07-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Some brilliant solos on this - the one on 'Don't Give Up' is genius.

saint
07-08-2013, 09:12 PM
He´s phenomenal! They could have been great if it weren’t for Mike Tramp and hiss sissy lyrics and crappy melodies that made the records sound kind of lame. I assume it’s his fault anyway :)

DLR Bridge
07-08-2013, 09:12 PM
I actually still have my videotape of this from recording it off of MTV. Now, if I could just find a working VCR. I don't think they even sell them anymore.

DLR Bridge
07-08-2013, 09:19 PM
He´s phenomenal! They could have been great if it weren’t for Mike Tramp and hiss sissy lyrics and crappy melodies that made the records sound kind of lame. I assume it’s his fault anyway :)

Wait was fantastic! They were take it for what it is lyrics. Nothing too cerebral. Chicks dug it. Was he really on the wrong track? They bloomed as everything was getting sleezier. Big Game was oK. Mane Attraction was a catastrophe. Fight To Survive and Pride kick arse.

78/84 guy
07-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Good band. Singer not so much. I loved Pride when it came out. Great guitar parts on it. Vito was a great player. He just disappeared !

DLR Bridge
07-08-2013, 09:25 PM
I thought Mike Tramp's voice had character. He was more interesting to listen to than Sammy Hagar and Vito provided a VH fix. Right down to the solos he boosted directly from Live Without A Net. :biggrin:

Matt White
07-08-2013, 09:57 PM
THey had a couple hits.....always liked the RADAR LOVE cover....killer solo

They just seemed silly after GRUNGE broke........dumb lyrics, bad production, Big hair & spandex.................

most of the stuff for that era doesn't hold up & hasn't aged well.............killer guitar....other than the tone is brutal by todays standards

saint
07-08-2013, 10:01 PM
I loved Vito, but I always thought that his guitar playing was far superior to Mike’s melodies, some songs really deserved better. Guitar wise Pride is one of the best albums ever. :clap: I think Vito would have been a good choice for substituting Jason in 91, then his riffs would have had some cool melodies and stellar lyrics. Mike to me really represents a lot of the bad things with hairmetal. :)

DLR Bridge
07-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Bad hair metal was constantly about getting laid. None of those shit bands like Britney Focks had a song like Little Fighter in their bag. Love that tune.

Seshmeister
07-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Wait was fantastic! They were take it for what it is lyrics. Nothing too cerebral. Chicks dug it. Was he really on the wrong track? They bloomed as everything was getting sleezier. Big Game was oK. Mane Attraction was a catastrophe. Fight To Survive and Pride kick arse.

I don't think Tramp was a rock fan, he was in a boy band before he emigrated to the US and even now he is doing acoustic versions of these songs.

My theory to what went wrong(apart from grunge) was that when that horrific monstrosity 'When the children cry' went to #1, it gave Tramp the argument no doubt backed by the record company, that this was the direction the band should go in. This led to to their lightweight later albums.

That was my theory. I asked James Lomenzo if there was any truth to that and he confirmed I was correct. Or at least that's my memory of the conversation, I had been drinking all day... :)

Matt White
07-08-2013, 10:15 PM
I loved Vito, but I always thought that his guitar playing was far superior to Mike’s melodies, some songs really deserved better. Guitar wise Pride is one of the best albums ever. :clap: I think Vito would have been a good choice for substituting Jason in 91, then his riffs would have had some cool melodies and stellar lyrics. Mike to me really represents a lot of the bad things with hairmetal. :)

I feel the same way aboot DOKKEN................cool guitar, but the lyrics are just laughable

Matt White
07-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Bad hair metal was constantly about getting laid. None of those shit bands like Britney Focks had a song like Little Fighter in their bag. Love that tune.

That's the 1st tune I looked for on that vid....too bad its not on there

Seshmeister
07-08-2013, 10:26 PM
One of the best guitar solos ever...

DLR Bridge
07-08-2013, 10:30 PM
I don't think Tramp was a rock fan, he was in a boy band before he emigrated to the US and even now he is doing acoustic versions of these songs.

My theory to what went wrong(apart from grunge) was that when that horrific monstrosity 'When the children cry' went to #1, it gave Tramp the argument no doubt backed by the record company, that this was the direction the band should go in. This led to to their lightweight later albums.

I didn't know that about the boy band gig. Now, I s'pose his Dave story in the first Zloz book makes a bit more sense.

Regarding the schmaltz, I can take a song or two per album by just about anyone, but once you start cutting 75% ballads, we gots a problem.

Matt White
07-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Learned this one right out of the gate back in the day....still play along to it quite often..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f4wCkkMVpzk

Seshmeister
07-08-2013, 10:42 PM
I didn't know that about the boy band gig. Now, I s'pose his Dave story in the first Zloz book makes a bit more sense.

Regarding the schmaltz, I can take a song or two per album by just about anyone, but once you start cutting 75% ballads, we gots a problem.

I think his first band were quite big in Denmark and they had a hit with this in Germany apparently.

FORD
07-08-2013, 10:47 PM
One of the few late 80s "hair bands" I had any use for at all.

Tramp was a cheeseball, but aside from that, they probably were closer to Van Halen than Van Hagar was at the time. And even despite the frontman, obviously a better band than the Poison/Slaughter/Transvestite Hair Ballad brigade.

FORD
07-08-2013, 10:49 PM
I think his first band were quite big in Denmark and they had a hit with this in Germany apparently.

Good God.... who cloned the Gay City Rollers and bleached their hair?? :headlights:

Seshmeister
07-08-2013, 11:01 PM
There was some connection, they shared a manager or something.

mh5150
07-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Loved the late 80's .. So many great shows ... Growing up just 6 blocks from the famous Hammerjacks in Baltimore. We were there 5 nights a week.
The coke was good too... ;)

Von Halen
07-09-2013, 08:43 AM
The record companies were demanding the "Power Ballads" (which I like in small doses) and that is what became the downfall of the "hair bands". Well, that and grunge. There was so much pressure to have a hit power ballad, that most of the records seemed to lean in that direction. The record companies forgot why they signed these bands in the first place. They would sign them because they were kicking ass, and then they'd throw their two cents in and fuck them up.

Radar Love is a tremendous cover. I'd rather listen to it, than the original. Every time I hear it, I text James and tell him! He said they had a ton of fun making that video, but it was a long day! Fuck that Lambo, love the GT350!

The internal issues in the band weren't the fault of the singer. Nor the guitar player. Nor the bass player...

Anonymous
07-09-2013, 09:02 AM
The record companies were demanding the "Power Ballads" (which I like in small doses) and that is what became the downfall of the "hair bands". Well, that and grunge. There was so much pressure to have a hit power ballad, that most of the records seemed to lean in that direction. The record companies forgot why they signed these bands in the first place. They would sign them because they were kicking ass, and then they'd throw their two cents in and fuck them up.

Radar Love is a tremendous cover. I'd rather listen to it, than the original. Every time I hear it, I text James and tell him! He said they had a ton of fun making that video, but it was a long day! Fuck that Lambo, love the GT350!

The internal issues in the band weren't the fault of the singer. Nor the guitar player. Nor the bass player...

Wait, I got this one.

Was it the drummer?

Cheers! :beers:

DLR Bridge
07-09-2013, 09:03 AM

Ah HAH!! So it was the drummer with the Kenny G curls all along. I suspected as much. :biggrin:

sonrisa salvaje
07-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Lady of the Valley was always my personal favorite. Cool to see them end with that song in this show.
Saw them a couple of times in 88 opening for AC/DC on the Blow Up Your Video tour. Kind of strange since they don't really go together.

DLR Bridge
07-09-2013, 11:09 AM
I saw them at a tiny club in Mass. (think it was The Chance?) in '87 or '88. They ripped it up good. Then, saw them on the Big Game tour between Vixen (uhg) and Ozzy. Not a big stage act. At all.

Seshmeister
07-09-2013, 11:17 AM
There are some bands that seem to just fall at that very final hurdle for various reasons, other similar ones from that era I can think of are TNT and Enuff Z'Nuff.

Seshmeister
07-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Prepare to hum this for the rest of the day...

I had forgotten just how pretty that drummer was. There comes a point where it just becomes transvestism... :)

Seshmeister
07-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Always a problem when your singer has better hair than any of the models... :)

Zing!
07-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Saw WL in '88 opening for Kiss on their Crazy Nights tour. They blew Kiss off the stage and many bailed for the exits when Gene and co. hit the stage. I immediately went out and bought Pride and Fight To Survive the next day. I thought Big Game was a great follow-up and even dug Mane Attraction. One of the very few hair metal bands I actually gave two shats about - mostly because of VB's stellar playing.

DLR Bridge
07-09-2013, 11:34 AM
There are some bands that seem to just fall at that very final hurdle for various reasons, other similar ones from that era I can think of are TNT and Enuff Z'Nuff.

My freshman year of college, all I listened to was White Lion, TNT, Tesla, DLR etc... Everyone else was listening to the Dead or Bob Dylan. Boooorrriiinnggg.

Von Halen
07-09-2013, 11:38 AM
I had forgotten just how pretty that drummer was. There comes a point where it just becomes transvestism... :)

What a fag!

DLR Bridge
07-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Always a problem when your singer has better hair than any of the models... :)

Tony Harnell was a bit too high range for my taste. I think Miles Kennedy sounds like him, but in a range more acceptable to the ear.

Ronni LeTekro had some tasty riffs, too.

hambon4lif
07-09-2013, 11:43 AM
The record companies were demanding the "Power Ballads" (which I like in small doses) and that is what became the downfall of the "hair bands". Well, that and grunge. There was so much pressure to have a hit power ballad, that most of the records seemed to lean in that direction. The record companies forgot why they signed these bands in the first place. They would sign them because they were kicking ass, and then they'd throw their two cents in and fuck them up. There were a few exceptions to the rule. Some of them were actually o.k.

Kix did one that was decent (Don't Close Your Eyes). Skid Row did a handful of ballads that were fuckin' heavy as far as ballads go. (18 & Life, Quicksand Jesus, In A Darkened Room, Wasted Time).

It was those sappy Tawny Kitaen-inspired Whitesnake bullshit ballads that had to go. They're enough to make a maggot puke!
If you're pussy-whupped enough to listen to that kind of shit, you might as well listen to Van Hagar....

DLR Bridge
07-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Last Train by Cinderella was pretty cool.

DLR Bridge
07-09-2013, 11:59 AM
I thought Big Game was a great follow-up and even dug Mane Attraction.

Problem with Mane for me was not only the ballad heaviness of it, but they remade their own Broken Heart and did a horrible job. Then, they close the CD with a harder tune and Tramp growls, "am I evil? Yes I am!" hmmmm. I dunno about that one.

saint
07-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Enuff Z'Nuff i just loved there first two albums, then I just lost interest… Not your typical hair band more glam if anything, seems to me the drummer was in the wrong band, just to pretty ;)

saint
07-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Speaking of hair bands that just didn’t reach all the way, here´s a cliché-infested piece that has it all, big hair, big guitars gorgeous women, fires, I love it :)

DLR Bridge
07-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Enuff Z'Nuff i just loved there first two albums, then I just lost interest…

Same here, however, I saw their 7th or 8th cd, Paraphernalia, in a bargain bin and had to check it out. Donnie and Chip were the only original members, but it was a pretty solid effort. I heard Jake E. Lee recorded with them a few years back. I'd like to hear that.

Von Halen
07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Imagine being in an arena or stadium, and the whole fucking place singing in unison.

You can call them cheesy, or whatever, but to experience that is fuckin' cool. Let's you know just how powerful the music can really be.

DLR Bridge
07-09-2013, 12:18 PM
If I'm not mistaken, XYZ, Firehouse and Slaughter were all the same band. :biggrin:

sadaist
07-09-2013, 12:36 PM
If I'm not mistaken, XYZ, Firehouse and Slaughter were all the same band. :biggrin:

As were Cinderella & Britny Fox. (Fox was managed by the singer from Cinderella too. All they did was make a fucking clone thinking their success would apply. Forgetting that they were cloning a lame band to begin with)

http://www.blareshare.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/cinderella.jpeg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_x3GC6KcXt4k/SwL0JkQ2nOI/AAAAAAAAAhU/sARdVMMbgvY/s1600/Britny_Fox_-_Britny_Fox-front+self+titled+album.jpg

Fags

DLR Bridge
07-09-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm digging Tom Keifer's new tune. Kinda like a more upbeat Black Crowes tune. Don't know what took that guy so long to shit or get off the pot. I'd check him out if he comes around.

Zing!
07-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Problem with Mane for me was not only the ballad heaviness of it, but they remade their own Broken Heart and did a horrible job. Then, they close the CD with a harder tune and Tramp growls, "am I evil? Yes I am!" hmmmm. I dunno about that one.

Yeah, can't argue with that. The rehash of Broken Heart was terrible - they got it right the first time; its rawness was what made it great, and Tramp doing his weird melodies ruined the second attempt. I also had to chuckle at the evil line. WL where about as evil as Poison.

saint
07-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Really only heard Long way to Love with Britney, that’s OK I loved Cinderella though

sonrisa salvaje
07-09-2013, 04:42 PM
As were Cinderella & Britny Fox. (Fox was managed by the singer from Cinderella too. All they did was make a fucking clone thinking their success would apply. Forgetting that they were cloning a lame band to begin with)

http://www.blareshare.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/cinderella.jpeg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_x3GC6KcXt4k/SwL0JkQ2nOI/AAAAAAAAAhU/sARdVMMbgvY/s1600/Britny_Fox_-_Britny_Fox-front+self+titled+album.jpg

Fags

If i am not mistaken, 2 of the members of Britney Fox were original members of Cinderella who left the band prior to Cinderella's success. I believe that is what Tom said on That Metal Show the other night.

Thinking back on it i also saw White Lion open for Aerosmith while they were on the Perm Vacation tour. It is funny how that works. At different points in time, no matter what act i went to see, they had either Cinderella or White Lion opening. By the way, If there is anyone that didn't hear Cinderella's last studio record Still Climbing i would recommend it.

Whorehey
07-09-2013, 07:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rhHVBdPzTE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Fucking Brutal!!! Cuts off in the middle of this guy
just butchering one of my fave Bratta solos.

Hardrock69
07-09-2013, 08:01 PM
I knew I had seen WL somewhere but could not remember....then sonrisa salvaje mentioned they opened for AC/DC.....I saw that tour. They played Wichita, KS July 31, 1988. Vito had a really similar sound to Ed....hell, they are a Van Halen CLONE, but needless to say, so slick...hell that video sounds as if the vocals were done in the studio....

They are all great musicians....but their music was not exactly "timeless". Of course they dated themselves instantly (what?) with the big hair thang, but oh well. They did make it to playing arenas....and that is some measure of success, though some bands like G-Force, and Screams, who opened for Van Halen during the early 80s....ugh....they were just the monkey act shoved out there to annoy the crowd and get them pumped for VH. At least WL had the goods.

Though I can only handle a few songs before I begin to fill somewhat....ill-mannered....:hee:

katina
07-09-2013, 08:40 PM
One of the best guitar solos ever...

In memory of "Rainbow Warrior"

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/about/history/the-bombing-of-the-rainbow-war/

10 July 1985. The Greenpeace ship the Rainbow Warrior is moored in Auckland, New Zealand – ready to confront French nuclear testing in the Moruroa Atoll.

It’s close to midnight. The captain, Pete Willcox, and many other crew members are already asleep. A few others, including the photographer Fernando Pereira, are still chatting around the mess-room table, sharing between them the last two bottles of beer.

Suddenly, the lights go out. There’s the sharp crack of breaking glass. Then, a sudden roar of water. The crew’s first thought: We’ve been hit, possibly by a tug.

Then, there’s a second explosion.

Those already on deck scramble up the ladder or leap to safety on the wharf. Within minutes, they see the ship’s steel masts tilt towards them…

The tragic death of a crew member
“I stood there looking at the boat with all of these bubbles coming out of it,” captain Pete Willcox would later recall. “That’s when Davey [Edwards] said Fernando is down there. I remember arguing with him, saying no, Fernando has gone to town, that’s what he always did. No he said. Fernando is down there.”

The Portugal-born Greenpeace photographer Fernando Pereira had joined the crew of the Rainbow Warrior to document the French nuclear testing and bring his photographs to the world.

He was caught in a rush of water that night, and drowned. He had just celebrated his 35th birthday.

A state-sanctioned bombing – shrewdly planned and executed
The Rainbow Warrior wasn’t hit by a tug, of course. In an attempt to “neutralise” the ship ahead of its planned protest, French secret service agents in diving gear had attached two packets of plastic-wrapped explosives to it, one by the propeller, one to the outer wall of the engine room.

Initially, the French government denied all knowledge of the operation, but it became soon obvious that they were involved. Eventually, prime minister Laurent Fabius appeared on television and told a shocked public: “Agents of the DGSE (Secret Service) sank this boat. They acted on orders.”

First they denied, then they disappeared
Only two agents ever stood trial. Dominique Prieur and Alain Mafart, who had posed as Swiss tourists, pleaded guilty to charges of manslaughter and wilful damage, attracting sentences of 10 and 7 years. A UN negotiated settlement meant that they were transferred to Hao atoll, a French military base in French Polynesia.

They were both released within less than two years.

The spy who infiltrated the Greenpeace New Zealand office ahead of the bombing, Christine Cabon, evaded arrest in Israel. She hasn’t been seen since. The whereabouts of the combat frogman with the alias Jean-Michel Berthelot – one of the two divers believed to have planted the bombs – are unknown.

Most of those involved in what happened that night in an Auckland harbour have simply disappeared.

You can’t sink a Rainbow
The Rainbow Warrior was named after a North American Cree Indian prophecy: “When the world is sick and dying, the people will rise up like Warriors of the Rainbow…”

On its bow she proudly carried a dove of peace carrying an olive branch – never leaving any doubt about her non-violent mission. All around her hull, there were the striking colours of the rainbow.

After the bombing, the ship was given a resting place at Matauri Bay, in New Zealand’s Cavalli Islands, where it has become a living reef, attracting marine life and recreational divers.

Greenpeace replaced her with a new vessel, and for 22 years, the second Rainbow Warrior has campaigned for a green and peaceful future. In 2011 the new Rainbow Warrior, the world's first purpose-built environmental campaigning ship, readied herself to carry on the original Rainbow Warrior’s spirit. It’s a spirit that will always live on.

binnie
07-16-2013, 06:41 AM
If you really want a laugh, you should all check out Mike Tramps' 'grunge' band from the mid-90s - Freak Of Nature.

Horrid.

clarathecarrot
07-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Yeah those enuff Z nuff chicks are hot!!

Who cares what the drummer does with his look, look, see that look, was getting more women back then.

I always put this band way over the top of most of the other bands that shopped at the stage gear store after DLR went thru and got the good stuff..lol...

Top shelf vocals are always good. Great singer.

(If you can take your eyes off the lead singer ass ( you homos) at 2:00 there is some fine tits by the american flag, god bless america)

Mr. Vengeance
07-16-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm digging Tom Keifer's new tune. Kinda like a more upbeat Black Crowes tune. Don't know what took that guy so long to shit or get off the pot. I'd check him out if he comes around.

His new album is quite good. I believe that one delay in putting out an album was that for a while he was suffering from some kind of vocal chord paralysis.

bru87tr
02-28-2015, 09:20 PM

That was my theory. I asked James Lomenzo if there was any truth to that and he confirmed I was correct. Or at least that's my memory of the conversation, I had been drinking all day... :)

Lights and Thundetr that came later was a pretty kick ass song.

I wish I could get a copy of This Ritz concert. I only have that lame Escape from NY.