PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stone Cover Controversy

LoungeMachine
07-18-2013, 01:17 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2013/07/17/cvs-refuses-to-sell-rolling-stone-magazine-that-features-the-boston-bomber/

CVS And Walgreens Refuse To Sell Rolling Stone Magazine That Features The Boston Bomber

Perhaps hoping to repeat its 1970 cover story on Charles Manson, which won a National Magazine Award, Rolling Stone has put a picture of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the Boston bomber who is still alive and facing trial, on its cover. Tagline: “How A Popular BPOP +5.4%, Promising Student Was Failed by His Family, Fell Into Radical Islam, and Became a Monster.” Read the full story here.

The decision is drawing criticism in part because of Rolling Stone’s decision to use a photo, posted on social media by Tsarnaev and previously used on the front page of the New York Times, that makes him look a bit like a Jim-Morrison-esque rock god.

But there’s one place you won’t be able to buy the issue: CVS stores. Because CVS Caremark CVS +0.77%, the $123 billion (sales) drug store and pharmacy benefits management company, has decided that it won’t sell the magazine. The company, based in Woonsocket, R.I., gave its New England roots in a statement issued on Facebook FB -1.71%, where it has been ‘liked’ 32,000 times and shared more than 13,000.

CVS/pharmacy has decided not to sell the current issue of Rolling Stone featuring a cover photo of the Boston Marathon bombing suspect. As a company with deep roots in New England and a strong presence in Boston, we believe this is the right decision out of respect for the victims of the attack and their loved ones.

A spokesman declined to make CVS executives available to comment. Rolling Stone issued the following statement:

Our hearts go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, and our thoughts are always with them and their families. The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone’s long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day. The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens. –THE EDITORS

Update: Walgreen’s tweeted that it won’t sell the magazine either.

ROLLING STONE'S RESPONSE VIA TWITTER

Deleted tweet from Rolling Stone editor:

‘I guess we should have drawn a dick on Dzhokhar’s face’;

:gulp:

Discuss

LoungeMachine
07-18-2013, 01:19 PM
‘I guess we should have drawn a dick on Dzhokhar’s face’;

Mystery solved...... FLAPPO is actually the editor of Rolling Stone ;)

jhale667
07-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Mystery solved...... FLAPPO is actually the editor of Rolling Stone ;)

:lmao:

Love that they're calling for a boycott... hell, I've been boycotting them since that douche David Fricke claimed Kurt Cobain was a better guitarist than EVH and Randy Rhoads.

LoungeMachine
07-18-2013, 01:35 PM
I actually like RS for the articles [stop laughing]

Matt Taibbi's exposes on everything from the military, to banking fraud, to congress are great reads.

As for the cover, they've never really had any kind of inner filter when it comes to putting SHIT on the cover.

But they're getting exactly what they KNEW they'd get with this cover...."controversy"

Cha-Ching

chefcraig
07-18-2013, 01:48 PM
I actually like RS for the articles [stop laughing]

Matt Taibbi's exposes on everything from the military, to banking fraud, to congress are great reads.

As for the cover, they've never really had any kind of inner filter when it comes to putting SHIT on the cover.

But they're getting exactly what they KNEW they'd get with this cover...."controversy"

Cha-Ching

Well, it's a simple choice: Either come up with a dubious "100 Best of Whatever" issue, project a "Who is Hot/Next Big Thing" sampler, or go hard core into areas that are admittedly rough waters, pretty much without a rudder. The leak in the tank being that RS' semi-responsible reasoning committee died with Hunter S. Thompson and P.J. O'Rourke discovering he didn't need to achieve minimum wage working for the rag sheet. At this point, the half-wits still hanging around don't even bother scanning for typos, let alone properly consolidated facts. And remember, this is a socially-conscious magazine that only "discovered" the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman incident nearly a year and 4 months after it happened, yet treated it as breaking news.

A news-hungry nation idly awaits any updates on the arrival of the Hindenburg...

envy_me
07-18-2013, 01:50 PM
I don't mind an article about him as a pure documentation. But maybe they should have used a less glamorous picture that doesn't make him look like some sort of star.
And what's up with "failed by his family"? It gives even more of a feeling that they want to sell this issue to teenage girls who are probably sending letters to the prison as we speak.

envy_me
07-18-2013, 01:52 PM
This would be a much better picture. God, he's ugly.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7yP2ZmPAFss/UXFJk6WBnmI/AAAAAAAACZk/8tbM-La79Cg/s640/Johar+Tcarnaev2.jpg

FORD
07-18-2013, 01:54 PM
I canceled my Rolling Stone subscription in the 1990s when they put N'Suck on the cover. That offended me far more than this did.

But yes, some of their articles are still very worthy.

jhale667
07-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Taibbi's articles are indeed great... hmm... wait, which RA poster was it that had issues with him?

ThrillsNSpills
07-18-2013, 03:21 PM

Love that they're calling for a boycott... hell, I've been boycotting them since that douche David Fricke claimed Kurt Cobain was a better guitarist than EVH and Randy Rhoads.

WoW. That is dazzlingly ridiculous

jhale667
07-18-2013, 03:34 PM
WoW. That is dazzlingly ridiculous

They did it in the Top100 guitarists list, AND I seem to recall that fuck said something to the same effect in an MTV interview, which caused even Kurt Loder to look at him like "Dafuq did you just say?"

Zing!
07-18-2013, 03:39 PM
I canceled my Rolling Stone subscription in the 1990s when they put N'Suck on the cover. That offended me far more than this did.

I canceled mine after this.

http://www.barewalls.com/i/c/377851_Van-Halen.jpg

FORD
07-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Taibbi's articles are indeed great... hmm... wait, which RA poster was it that had issues with him?

I think it was Jagerracist?

chefcraig
07-18-2013, 03:51 PM

Not so sure about that, nor the racist implication. Jag was always cool with me. Your mileage might vary. :yo:

FORD
07-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Well, he called himself the "Roth Army Racist". I didn't make it up.

In fairness though, in the 2012 Repuke primaries, I think he hated Romney more than he did Herman Cain. :biggrin:

DLR Bridge
07-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Then perhaps the BBB who is MIA.

FORD
07-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Then perhaps the BBB whose MIA.

That's also possible.... but then he thinks Mann Coulter and Matt Drudge are "journalists". :puke:

ThrillsNSpills
07-18-2013, 04:46 PM

Cha-Ching

That's the name of the game right there.

Problem is that people seemingly think this guy on the cover is being promoted in some sort of bizarre way. They don't stop to think they're just drawing more attention to RS in doing so.

Kristy
07-18-2013, 04:46 PM
RollingStone was always a shit read. Even when they took pot shots on the political landscape they resorted to be more controversial than factual - really since the days when that FAT fuck Weiner fired Hunter Thompson (over the phone, no less). This cover doesn't bother me and you can make for somewhat founded arguments that this gives an asshole like this fame but I highly doubt it. Seeing covers with that mindless cunt Katy Perry is what I find to be more offensive with her faux lesbian and recruit your children for pro-war videos. Plus, let's not forget this rag is owned by Viacom who just another soulless corporate media-grubbing outlet like Fox News.

sadaist
07-18-2013, 04:49 PM
crap...link didn't work

Kristy
07-18-2013, 04:51 PM
crap...link didn't work

That's because you are a hippie.

jhale667
07-18-2013, 10:21 PM

Bingo!

FORD
07-18-2013, 10:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPsUugSzksk

private parts
07-19-2013, 10:15 AM

Did he really?

TFM_Dale
07-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Until this happened I had forgotten all about Rolling Stone, no reason to change anything now. Desperate act of a magazine going under. Internet has made newspapers and magazines obsolete.

Nickdfresh
07-20-2013, 12:30 PM
I canceled mine after this.

http://www.barewalls.com/i/c/377851_Van-Halen.jpg

They should have put a picture Sammy Hagar next to him, he ruins everything and no one would ever confuse that cover with "sheik" "rockstar" "Morrison-like-sexy"...