PDA

View Full Version : Freddy Garcia traded to the White Sox

POJO_Risin
06-28-2004, 01:34 AM
Good pick up for the Sox...makes them tons better...

Olivo's a high price to pay...I don't know anything about Reed and Morse...but it looks like Seattle got some players in this for a rentaplayer...

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox acquired All-Star pitcher Freddy Garcia from the Seattle Mariners on Sunday, bolstering their rotation for the AL Central race.

The White Sox gave up young catcher Miguel Olivo, top prospect Jeremy Reed and minor league infielder Michael Morse in the trade. Chicago also gets catcher Ben Davis and cash from the Mariners.

"It's hard for me to leave," Garcia said. "I do love playing here."

Garcia, who can become a free agent after this season, will pitch for White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, one of his best friends.

"You've got to be a professional. Everybody knows he's my friend, but I want to do business," Garcia said. "I'll go there and pitch the way I can pitch."

Garcia was 4-7 with a 3.20 ERA in 15 starts for last-place Seattle this season. The two-time All-Star is 76-50 in his six-year career with a 3.89 ERA.

"We have an opportunity to challenge for the division in a better way," White Sox general manager Ken Williams said.

The 25-year-old Olivo, who is batting .270, hit his seventh homer of the season off Cubs right-hander Greg Maddux on Sunday. He has good speed and a strong arm.

Olivo was too upset after the game to comment, a team spokesman said.

Freddy Garcia waves to fans after his trade is announced at the Padres-Mariners game.(AP)
"It was one of the hardest conversations I've ever had with a player," Williams said.

Garcia, 27, was one of the top pitchers available on the trade market. The right-hander should help solidify a rotation that already includes Esteban Loaiza, who won 21 games last season, and Mark Buehrle.

"I'm really glad to have him, but we are going to lose one of my favorite players in Olivo," Guillen said. "Hopefully, when Freddy comes to town, he can help us to do what we want to do. We picked up some good players.

"Right now we have a good pitcher who can hopefully help us a lot. There is a lot of pressure on Coop (pitching coach Don Cooper) and myself. We have to win."

The White Sox have struggled with their No. 5 starters all season. Jon Rauch's win over Cleveland last week was their first from that spot after eight losses.

No. 3 starter Scott Schoeneweis is on the disabled list with a sore elbow, and Buehrle has been hit hard in his last two starts.

"It caught me by surprise. I know we've been trying to get another pitcher in here, but I never thought Miguel was going to be the one who's going to go away," White Sox shortstop Jose Valentin said.

"When you try to get something good, you have to pay the price and give something good away, too. It's a good trade for us and we'll see what happens."

After beating the Cubs 9-4 on Sunday, the White Sox were just a game behind the first-place Twins in the AL Central.

Garcia is scheduled to make his first start for Chicago on Wednesday at Minnesota.

"They'll get a good pitcher," Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi said. "Freddy came into spring training very, very focused. He has maintained his focus under a very, very tough situation. There were a lot of rumors. He's dealt with those well."

Without Olivo, the White Sox will use Sandy Alomar Jr., Jamie Burke and Davis behind the plate.

"Ultimately, the decision I had to make was were we better positioned with Freddy Garcia on our roster or Miguel Olivo on our roster, and not just this year but hopefully for future years, as we have every intention of trying to sign Freddy to a long-term deal," Williams said.

"There's no doubt that he was the guy that was the most coveted on the market."

Davis has split time this season between Seattle and Triple-A Tacoma. He appeared in 14 games with the Mariners and batted .091.

Left-handed starter Jamie Moyer could be the next to go for the punchless Mariners, who are 12½ games behind first-place Texas in the AL West.

Seattle didn't want to lose Garcia without getting anything back for him, and was looking for some young talent with offensive potential.

The 23-year-old Reed has eight homers and 37 RBI as an outfielder for Triple-A Charlotte. He was drafted by the White Sox in 2002 and is a career .334 hitter in the minors. Morse was batting .287 at Double-A Birmingham.

"Today we made what we think is a good deal for us," Bavasi said. "The White Sox made a good deal. It puts them ahead in their division, as far as personnel and trying to win that division."

The Yankees had been scouting Garcia for several weeks. The Mariners called New York general manager Brian Cashman on Sunday and said they were prepared to trade Garcia, then called him back and said they had an offer they didn't think could be topped.

"We couldn't match that deal," said Cashman, adding that New York's prospects were not as close to being ready for the major leagues as Chicago's are.

Eyes of the Night
06-28-2004, 01:39 AM
I dig the trade! ...

Garcia isn't all that special really ... his ERA sucks! ...

Dig the youth accuired from da whitesucks ...

:gulp:

redblkwht
06-28-2004, 01:41 AM
NO SHIT, good fro the whitesox.
now they need a reliever as good if not better..
then they will be contenders, not pretenders.

POJO_Risin
06-28-2004, 01:48 AM
Ahh yes...that's right RBW...Takatsu sucks...I forgot...;)

redblkwht
06-28-2004, 02:18 AM
hes as good as batista..a flash in the pan:D

POJO_Risin
06-28-2004, 02:27 AM
Well...you'll have to live with that flash in the pan...cuz they aren't going to deal for a closer as long as Takatsu's lights out...which he's been from day 1...well...day 3 this season...

You don't trade for a closer when you have a guy with an ERA under 1, and a WHIP under 1...crappy delivery and 85 mile fastball or not...

if they'd used him as the closer from the start...they'd be in first by 10 fucking games....

there isn't anyone out there they can get that's any better...and even if he blows up...Marte will slide in and get blown up as well...

BATISTA?

redblkwht
06-28-2004, 02:33 AM
fuck that sox will fold 1st round, id rather see the indians man.....

POJO_Risin
06-28-2004, 02:59 AM
Well...I'm not going to disagree with that....

Eyes of the Night
06-28-2004, 03:07 AM
Go M's!;) ...

Fuck that, for me between the 2 I'd rather see the indians because they have better bats ... at the same time they have the worst bullpen ever ...

:gulp:

POJO_Risin
06-28-2004, 03:10 AM
Yeah...their bullpen is fucking deplorable....they do have some decent arms at AA and AAA...and some expendable minor leaguers that are playing their asses off that won't see the light of day...

Broussard will probably be trade bait...Escobar...

so we'll see if they don't try and snag a closer...but if Jiminez sticks there...and Wickman keeps pitching like a little leaguer...it's going to end up being a long season...

Lou
06-28-2004, 09:04 PM
As a Phillies fan this shit gets me enraged. Because players like Beltran and Garcia can be had if you're willing to take a little bit of a risk and add payroll to go for it all.

Ed Wade, the Phillies GM, is one of the worst GM's out there. He's such friggin' pussy when it comes to in season moves and he gives the fans lip service, always saying that he's content with the team, which is bullshit. We have no CF, starting pitching is thin, and the Phillies will go another year doing absolutely nothing. You'd think they'd learn from what the Marlins did last year, but no. They boil it down to money. And the fact that every game has only a few thousand seats left for the end of the year means that they already have plenty of revenue in the bank, and there's no incentive to make the team better, because it won't really help them make more money. Ed Wade has got to go.

POJO_Risin
06-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Look Lou...your bastard Phillies stole that son of a bitch Thome...stole his ass...so Ed Wade and your Phillies can rot in a shack...

that's what they get for fucking overpaying for the much overrated Kevin Millwood of the 5+ ERA...and put them 11 million over payroll...

they can't even afford to add Crawford to lead off for them...and he makes dick...and could be had...

Fuck Thome...and fuck the Phillies...( ;) )

Va Beach VH Fan
06-29-2004, 09:55 AM
I think Benson's gonna be next, he's had 5 very good starts in a row....

The teams I've heard that are interested are the Yanks, Phils, and Dodgers.....

Let's just hope that the Buccos get more than a bag of peanuts in return like they got from the Cubs in the Ramirez deal...

POJO_Risin
06-29-2004, 12:28 PM
That Ramirez deal was fucking horrible...

the Giles deal was okay...but coulda been better...

everyone knows you can go soft of the Buccos...so I'm wondering what kind of deal they are going to get...

They are already asking to much for Benson...which is why he's still a Bucco at this stage...They'll ask for top 3 prospects...noone will pay attention...then they'll end up dealing him for a 27th round pick in Short Season single A...and Crash Davis...

My bet...Benson goes to the Red Sox...

rocknrolldork
06-29-2004, 04:24 PM
I dig the White Sox. I hated to see the youth go, but let's face it....... The Sox really needed pitching. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up signing Garcia next year too. The Sox definitely have the bats, so this trade is a good thing for them.

I don't think they are pretenders this year. Last I looked they are only 1 game back.

Lou
06-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Millwood SUCKS. I was hoping they wouldn't resign him. Padilla may be out until September. Yet Ed Wade does nothing. Amazing. Didn't even TRY to get Freddy Garcia.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
That Ramirez deal was fucking horrible...

the Giles deal was okay...but coulda been better...

everyone knows you can go soft of the Buccos...so I'm wondering what kind of deal they are going to get...

They are already asking to much for Benson...which is why he's still a Bucco at this stage...They'll ask for top 3 prospects...noone will pay attention...then they'll end up dealing him for a 27th round pick in Short Season single A...and Crash Davis...

My bet...Benson goes to the Red Sox...

The Giles deal is starting to be a VERY good deal for the Bucs....

Oliver Perez is starting to become a dominant pitcher, after his mechanics were straightened out in spring training.... Last start: 13 K's... In fact, Perez leads all of MLB in K's per 9 IP....

Jason Bay missed all of spring training due to a shoulder injury, so he got off to a slow start, but he's turned it up a notch now, hitting nearly .300 and 6 HR's in his last 35 AB's....

In reference to Benson, the latest from the Burgh media is that the Mets are making a big push to get him....

P.S. - Got to mention this... I'd just gotten home last night from FL, turned on FSN Pittsburgh Sports Tonight, and Stan Savran was doing his commentary about the Penguins possible "reuniting" with Mark Recchi and/or Kovalev when free agency opens tomorrow.... And Stan opened with "Van Halen is reuniting with Sammy Hagar at the Post-Gazette Pavilion (tonight)"..... Just surprised the hell out of me....

POJO_Risin
06-29-2004, 11:43 PM
The Post-Gazette Pavilion????

is that StarLake?

Hmmm...Recchi and Kovie...coming back to the Pens...

hey bro...what's the deal with the new arena...did I not know about this...

I was looking at the site for all the new stadiums...and noticed that 2005 is the opening date for the new arena for the Pens...when did this happen?

Perez is solid...and I like Bay a lot...and of course...you can thank the Indians for that deal you bastard...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-30-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
The Post-Gazette Pavilion????

is that StarLake?

Hmmm...Recchi and Kovie...coming back to the Pens...

hey bro...what's the deal with the new arena...did I not know about this...

I was looking at the site for all the new stadiums...and noticed that 2005 is the opening date for the new arena for the Pens...when did this happen?

Perez is solid...and I like Bay a lot...and of course...you can thank the Indians for that deal you bastard...

Yup, same place, ya know, sponsorship and everything...

The thinking is now that Recchi is almost a lock to sign with the Pens... He lives there, his old lady is from there, and he's very good friends with Mario....

Kovy is 50-50 IMO... They're gonna need at least 4 Mil a year for him, and I don't know if they'll do that... Hope so, but I just don't know...

As for the slots, the State House and Senate are voting on it tonight and tomorrow morning... It looks like it's gonna pass fairly easily...

But don't touch that dial... That only frees the money from the state toward they county and city.... They still have to formally agree to allocate 60 Mil of that money toward a new arena.... I'd think they'd lynch those politicians if they don't do it, but I've seen stranger things happen.... If so, it won't be ready until 2006 or 2007....

And yes, I know when you hear the name Ricardo Rincon, you get a queasy feeling in your stomach.... ;)