PDA

View Full Version : 80's frontmen talk about MTV

ThrillsNSpills
08-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Music videos could be a great artform.
You'd figure these dudes would appreciate the exposure but there's always that point where art and corporate commercial interests meet. But we all know Poison and Jovi killed MTV. heh heh

Mr. Vengeance
08-05-2013, 02:31 PM
RJD is partially correct, in that all of a sudden bands with not much talent were on MTV, but MTV didn't really play a ton of metal to begin with. It was pretty slim pickings unless it was Headbangers Ball. The bands like Poison, say what you will about them, probably kept metal alive for several years on TV.

Metal never really needed TV at all. It was there before MTV, it's still there now....You just have to find it, mostly on the internet. Hair Metal died. Personally I enjoyed a lot of those bands. Then record execs started signing every band they could find, based on their look, and you would up with the Pretty Boy Floyds and D'Molls and Firehouses of the music world. Oversaturated, and the lousy bands started to outnumber the good ones to the point where the good bands faded into the background. Then the whole grunge thing started and kids tastes changed...end of Hair Metal.

DLR Bridge
08-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Enter the issue of mislabeling bands. You had hair metal being labeled as heavy metal and vice versa. You had amazing hard rock acts (V mother fuckin' H) being called both which kinda drove me nuts. The more things were miscategorized, the more everything started being called heavy metal as a means of simplifying the whole mess. Headbangers Ball covered all of the above, so it all must be heavy metal was the mentality. That too contributed to the over-saturation. It all got too big not to fail. :biggrin:

Kristy
08-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Not this pussy 80's metal shit again.

Look, what killed metal was metal not admitting it was homosexual enough to its core audience. Where else did grown sweaty men "mosh" with other sweaty men while sweaty men in leather played crap music about their small dicks and Satan all together in a "club." Metal is about as homosexual as it gets. MTV feigned homosexuality and mocked it by having metal acts wear spandex and hairspray. Just how much teabagging went on backstage at a DIO show?

Mr. Vengeance
08-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Just how much teabagging went on backstage at a DIO show?

Get a life, seriously.

Terry
08-05-2013, 08:09 PM
I'd agree that a lot of what was called "metal" in the 1980s (Poison, Warrant, Bon Jovi, etc.) wasn't really metal. At least not how I define it.

Plus, there were still plenty of actual metal bands who broke big in the 1980s that didn't really owe much in the way of anything to MTV. Iron Maiden comes to mind for a start. Maiden were making platinum albums throughout the 1980s, and had a vastly successful release with Powerslave and sold out arenas across the US. Yet how often were the Aces High or Two Minutes To Midnight videos played? Barely at all. And radio wouldn't play any Maiden, either. Metallica doesn't owe MTV shit far as establishing an initial audience goes. DIO got some MTV play, but not a helluva lot.

Bands that owe their careers to MTV are pretty much the usual posers one would suspect.

Kristy
08-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Get a life, seriously.

I have a life. Now ask yourself if you have a closet and if it's time to step out of it.

jhale667
08-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Metal is about as homosexual as it gets. MTV feigned homosexuality and mocked it by having metal acts wear spandex and hairspray.

Funny, girls sure seemed to like it at the time...

Kristy
08-05-2013, 08:44 PM
http://lgbticons.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/3535_artist.jpg?w=585
Nope, nothing gay going on here.

Or here
http://www.doseofmetal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/manowar1.jpg

Coyote
08-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Never got into any band because of an image...

jhale667
08-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Never got into any band because of an image...

Ah, if only you could've tagged along on some auditions I went on when I first got to L.A. ... you would've heard this kinda stuff:

"Image is VERY important to us."
"If you get the gig, the first thing you have to do is give our seamstress $1200 for your (matching pleather) stage costume."
"Will you get hair extensions?"
"What's your opinion on stage choreography?"
"We notice you don't have any tattoos - how fast can you get sleeved?"

Actual quotes. :019: THAT shit had to die.

Coyote
08-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Ah, if only you could've tagged along on some auditions I went on when I first got to L.A. ... you would've heard this kinda stuff:

"Image is VERY important to us."
"If you get the gig, the first thing you have to do is give our seamstress $1200 for your (matching pleather) stage costume."
"Will you get hair extensions?"
"What's your opinion on stage choreography?"
"We notice you don't have any tattoos - how fast can you get sleeved?"

Actual quotes. :019: THAT shit had to die.

:biggrin: Given some the bands I've seen over here, I'd say some of that's still alive...
Albeit, on a very lesser (and boringly mediocre) scale.

Mr. Vengeance
08-05-2013, 10:37 PM
I honestly don't know what Krusty's obsession with bands being gay is? Every band she doesn't like (95% of the bands out there) she calls gay. If you like a certain band, you must also be gay.

Who gives a fuck? Last thing I'm doing at a concert is worrying about gay-ness......

Mr. Vengeance
08-05-2013, 10:45 PM
In terms of metal, there's a huge difference between what began the new wave of metal, and even so-called hair metal, and what it became. Mainly because at the beginning, bands were signed on having talent. Then as hair metal took off, that first tier of bands were already signed, and every shitty band that had teased hair and makeup was being signed. Even the bands that were decent, like Poison, were a step down in terms of talent, but they had a look and they made MTV-friendly music. Look at Motley Crue. They had the whole studs, hair, makeup thing, but they also rocked quite hard. Compare the album Shout at the Devil to Poison's Look What the Cat Dragged In...Crue's album is 100% heavier.

Seshmeister
08-05-2013, 11:50 PM
I remember buying Shout at the Devil a few years after it came out and being surprised at just how many fillers are on it.

Crue were always a very lazy band.

FORD
08-05-2013, 11:53 PM
I Compare the album Shout at the Devil to Poison's Look What the Cat Dragged In...Crue's album is 100% heavier.

Yeah, but Theater of Pain and everything that followed were much weaker. Two big singles from that album were a horrible cover and an even worse cheese ballad. And it was all downhill from there......

Seshmeister
08-05-2013, 11:57 PM
http://lgbticons.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/3535_artist.jpg?w=585
Nope, nothing gay going on here.

Or here
http://www.doseofmetal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/manowar1.jpg

Those 2 bands were not the norm.

I can see how you would think that looking back without being there but my experience was that the great majority of the hair metal look was driven by girls. Most of the guys that I met who were into that look were doing it because it got them more girls. If you were in a band that looked that way then you would get more girls at your gigs which in turn brought in guys too so you just did better.

There were some guys that were a bit camp with it and a few bisexuals but it was quite rare and no more than in the population at large.

I'm talking about the UK maybe LA was different...

FORD
08-06-2013, 12:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarUDvF0ZPk

FORD
08-06-2013, 12:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdpUL3aOwEo

Mr. Vengeance
08-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Yeah, but Theater of Pain and everything that followed were much weaker. Two big singles from that album were a horrible cover and an even worse cheese ballad. And it was all downhill from there......

Theatre of Pain was a letdown, but they had stronger albums after that one.

Mr. Vengeance
08-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Those 2 bands were not the norm.

I can see how you would think that looking back without being there but my experience was that the great majority of the hair metal look was driven by girls. Most of the guys that I met who were into that look were doing it because it got them more girls. If you were in a band that looked that way then you would get more girls at your gigs which in turn brought in guys too so you just did better.

There were some guys that were a bit camp with it and a few bisexuals but it was quite rare and no more than in the population at large.

It was the same over here. Bottom line was that the look and image were fun for drawing in people, but if I bought an album and it sucked shit, I wasn't about to buy their next one just because of the way the band looked.

ELVIS
08-06-2013, 09:42 AM

Maybe ??

I'm quite sure 80s LA was a bit different than Smugland...

vandeleur
08-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Late 80's was weird all the people who I knew who were decent musicians ditched solo's stopped writting songs and over night had plad shirts holes in their jeans and liked Seattle .
"Rock music was so over kurts killed it man " nah :biggrin:

Anonymous
08-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Manowar suffered enough for their image choices back in the early 80s.

All they wanted to do was pull a Barry Windsor-Smith/Arnold Schwarzenegger Conan the Barbarian look.

http://s22.postimg.org/mbaxdumld/Savagesword24_07.jpg

It went horribly, horribly wrong. Everyone knows that. But that shit was 30 years ago, cut them some slack already.

By the way, Barack Obama is allegedly a huge fan of Conan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_the_Barbarian#Comics

Is he gay?

Don't answer that.

Cheers! :beers:

Kristy
08-06-2013, 10:41 AM
I can see how you would think that looking back without being there but my experience was that the great majority of the hair metal look was driven by girls.

That's some 80's urban myth and you know it.

Anonymous
08-06-2013, 10:49 AM

It's not, chicks used to dig that kind of shit.

Then Nirvana came along & all of a sudden there was boys music & girls music. Both sucked big time.

Fuck the 90s. At least Cobain was kind enough to bite a bullet. If only sooner...

Oh, & Halford said he dressed that way because he's gay. So yes, Judas Priest were gay looking, you're right there. Manowar misfired. The rest was average. It didn't matter, anyway.

binnie
08-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Wouldn't it be more weird if a look for 30 years ago wasn't comical now?

Angel
08-06-2013, 11:09 AM

No it isn't. It all started with Dave. I would jump the bones of any guy with long blonde hair in 80.

Kristy
08-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Yes it is. Metal was largely a homosexual outlet for white suburban kids still in the closet. No girl is into metal unless she also happens to like gay men being with other gay men who refuse to admit how gay they really are.

Kristy
08-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Here, freshly stolen off of some dude's web page that took me 3 minutes to Google so I can look smart:

Heavy Metal finally came around with the dark Black Sabbath and the hedonistic Led Zeppelin. I can't even watch "The Song Remains the Same" anymore because of the prominence of Robert Plant's member in his super tight jeans. He wanted all those nance boys in the predominately male audience to see what he was packing. You know the king of cock-rock wanted to give them every inch of his love.

<center>
<tbody>

"I see myself in 'The Sound Of Music' actually - you know, doing that twirling bit at the start that Julie Andrews used to do with the helicopter shot. That's me - The hills are alive with the sound of the Metal God!"
--Rob Halford

</tbody>
</center>

Sabbath's early hits were "Paranoid" and "Iron Man". In the first one, Ozzy sang that he was "finished with my woman 'cause she couldn't help me with my mind"...of course she couldn't help him cause he's a manhole Mary in need of a solid, stiff 'iron man' to jostle his nads and call him Sparky. He's medicated cause he has to live with Sharon and those kids when he should really be living with Bruce Dickinson.

Two words for ya--Freddie Mercury. Although he was a superb singer and was great at the upright organ, he was also a poo pounder who looked like a Village People reject with those tighty whiteys and that mustache. He may have showered at the Y with the mens-folk, but he didn’t dine at the Y with the ladies.

http://www.maximummetal.com/humor/gayrob.jpgOne of the pioneers of Power Metal was the high-pitched vocalist for Judas Priest named Rob Halford. He's the leather-clad pillow biter who came out of the closet on MTV and proclaimed his gayness in front of the world. It was real easy for him to come out, I hear. Apparently, it just took a few tugs and a hard push on the inside.

Was there violence and upheaval in the entire metal community? Nope, cause deep down they all have pink, purple and rainbow hearts and like to tiptoe through the tulips. These are some of the songs that Judas Priest does:

"Turbo Lover"
"Loving After Midnight"
"Victim of HIV"
"Stained Ass"
"Unleashed From My Pants"
"You've Got A Knobby Thing Comin"
"Breaking the Sodomy Law"
"Hell Bent For A Rest Area"
"Screaming for Vaseline"

AC\DC is a slang term for somebody who goes both ways, so even though some hetero is implied it also involves some nuts across the chin if you know what I mean. I don't know which side of the slash is the straight side, so you'd be best to avoid them altogether.

http://www.maximummetal.com/humor/gaydlr.jpgDavid Lee used to run around in leather chaps with no pants on underneath. "Eruption" is a guitar-solo classic from Eddie Van Halen. There are no words, but I'll tell you what's doing the erupting--it's long, pink, shoots stuff out of a hole in the top and isn't a volcano. The guys in VH have been making poundcake from the start and I'm not surprised that Eddie got mouth cancer from his oral fixation on those dick substitutes, cigarettes. Don't fret for him that he always needed Misty Menthols dangling from his lips.

Aerosmith had a song called "The Other Side". Yep, it's the gay side he's singing about. I once saw Stephen Tyler turn around and spread his cheeks during a concert while he had on a pair of spandex with the bunghole area cutout. Angus Young and Tommy Lee both strip down and show their asses to the audience. It's all about easy access with these guys, folks.

"Dioning" defines the heterosexual apple of a gay man's eye and was coined in the 1860s by Karl Heinrich Ulrichs to describe the object of a homosexual man's attraction. I'm not surprised that the names "Dio" and "Ulrich" are in there. If those pint-sized parlor pals look your way at a show you might be next on the love list.

http://www.maximummetal.com/humor/gaypoison.jpgThe 80's were some prime years for Heavy Metal. You had gay Glam, faggot Speed, queer Thrash, homo Death, pansy Black and all those rump rangers owned the airwaves and were bangin' their heads in each other's laps and putting their balls to the walls and always smiling big shit-eating grins like they were the queens of the French Embassy. Straight metal guys, if there was one, wouldn't smile cause they'd have nothing to smile about and the brighter the teeth the higher they go on the gay scale. Kip Winger is the biggest twinkle toes of them all.

How in the Hell did those passion fruits put on makeup and spandex and hairspray and jewelry and glitter and convince so many chicks to be in their videos? They must've hired Steven Spielburger to do their videos and had women put in there with special effects.

http://www.maximummetal.com/humor/gaymanowar.jpgWho in name of Odin can watch those middle-aged, Norse throwbacks Manowar prance about in furry loincloths, swinging their battle swords and not be struck by the queerness of it? Fairies wear boots, indeed. So let it be written.

Axl Rose is an ass waxer who sang a song about a 'rocket queen'. I've got a newsflash for ya folks, Axl is the real rocket queen and he wants to fire his missile right up Uranus.

Helmet, Tool, Whitesnake, Cinderella...c'mon! It's all in the name, folks.

Death metal guys are always singing about cocks, but not just any cocks; they like brutal, bloody ones. I say that a cock lover is a cock lover no matter how they smoke it.

http://www.maximummetal.com/humor/gaylars.jpgArgueably the biggest metal band in the world, Metallica, was a dark angry, thrash band 'till they came out of the closet with a CD named appropriately, "Load". With its cover of blood and cum, those colon queens stopped denying themselves and showed their true pastel colors in photos with makeup and feathered boas. They even fucked their fans again with "Re-Load". Now, I see why they drank so much. They used it to escape from the denial of their homoness.

Then Pantera came along with all their violent songs full of punching and kicking and scratching and bitch slapping. All that violence is just a substitute for what they really want to do--they want to pound out the fire in your ass with their dicks. Walk up to those guys with a banana in one hand and a peach in the other and ask them to choose one. They'll swallow the banana down before you can say astroglide. Scary isn't it.

Marylin Manson...I don't even want to go there. He sends my Gaydar way off the charts.

I didn't forget about the dykes either; all the diesel lesbos that stumble into the scene with their ratty jeans and junky bracelets. They don't need to drop a hairpin to let me know that clam dip is always on the menu wherever they travel.

And the mascots, they're fags too. Eddie, Vic Rattlehead, Not Man, Rikki Ractman...yep, all homos.

Even the latest craze called Nu Metal doesn't stray to far from the pansy pasture. Limp Bizkit is just another name for impotence. Whether they can get it up or not, they still named themselves after a male member. Mushroomhead did it, also. That's what you call a dick with a big, fat head. That's just what I hear, not what I know from personal experience.

Let's try a quick quiz:

Who else could possibly be gay in metal that hasn't come out of the closet?

<tbody>
http://www.maximummetal.com/humor/gay1.jpg
http://www.maximummetal.com/humor/gay2.jpg
http://www.maximummetal.com/humor/gay3.jpg
http://www.maximummetal.com/humor/gay4.jpg

<input name="gay" checked="checked" type="checkbox"> Kirk Hammet
<input name="gay" checked="checked" type="checkbox"> Dave Draiman
<input name="gay" checked="checked" type="checkbox"> Mike Patton
<input name="gay" checked="checked" type="checkbox"> Don Dokken

http://www.maximummetal.com/humor/gay5.jpg

<input name="gay" checked="checked" type="checkbox"> Stratovarius

</tbody>

Answer: All of them. A straight guy in metal is as rare as a black man with a mullet. They just don't exist.

UGLY CONCERT KIDS
-------------------
And what do you think "The Pit" is anyway? It's a giant, swirling bunghole of sausage stuffers vogueing at each other. They always serve the same food at heavy metal concerts, also--Blow Pops, Fruit Roll-ups, Banana's and Cream, Hot Pockets with extra meatballs and those Ball Park Franks that plump when ya cook 'em.

I'll say it one time if I never have to say it again: Heavy Metal is the most homosexual music on the planet.

Kristy
08-06-2013, 11:42 AM
So I believe we have a conclusion here on what killed metal: failure to admit blatant homosexuality.

Have a nice day.

Kristy
08-06-2013, 11:54 AM
And why does this http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/classic/11.gif look way too much like this: ???

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01251/GAYPRIDE_FLAG_1251120c.jpg

I proved my point here, people.

vandeleur
08-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Kirsty this is either quite funny in a ridiculous way or utter bollox.
It's a pity you can't use your wit and humour to be cynical and negative oh :biggrin:

Mr. Vengeance
08-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Yes it is. Metal was largely a homosexual outlet for white suburban kids still in the closet. No girl is into metal unless she also happens to like gay men being with other gay men who refuse to admit how gay they really are.

Shut the fuck up with your moronic, trolling, bullshit.

Bandwidth wasting cunt.....

Kristy
08-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Shut the fuck up with your moronic, trolling, bullshit.

Bandwidth wasting cunt.....

One day, this could be you!

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6436398080/hEB715987/

Seshmeister
08-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Wouldn't it be more weird if a look for 30 years ago wasn't comical now?

The cooler you looked then, the worse it looks now.

That's always the way of these things.

jhale667
08-06-2013, 12:58 PM

Uh, you weren't there, and yes, if girls didn't dig it, none of us would've looked like that...

Kristy
08-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Yeah, keep on telling yourself that.

Seshmeister
08-06-2013, 01:06 PM
It was like a transvestite arms race - one guy would turn up at a club wearing bangles and get the best looking girls next week all the cool people would be wearing them.

That meant you had to tread the dangerous tightrope of dressing like a borderline transvestite to get the best looking girls with getting the fuck kicked out of you before you could even get to the club by local gangs. :D

Seshmeister
08-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Yeah, keep on telling yourself that.

There were definitely a few guys who seemed to enjoy the dressing up more than I thought was sound but I think that was mainly a straight tranny thing rather than gay - I think I only ever encountered two or three gay guys in that whole scene and I was clubbing and in bands constantly throughout that whole period.

sonrisa salvaje
08-06-2013, 01:35 PM
I proved my point here, people.

You do that everytime you post but not in the way you think.

Seshmeister
08-06-2013, 02:36 PM
I think that Kristy has every right to ask what the fuck was going on in the late 80s early 90s.

I think most people thought it was a bit ridiculous even at the time and there was a fair amount of piss taking going on.

These people were from Wales for fuck sake - Wales!

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/41464915/Tigertailz+_nnj.jpg

As I was saying, arms race - it got them signed and a top 40 album, their music certainly didn't... :)

jhale667
08-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Wow. Multi-colored hair, lipstick and nail polish? From Wales? Tom Jones just turned over in his grave and he's not dead yet...

PETE'S BROTHER
08-06-2013, 02:43 PM
more welsh bashing... :biggrin:

jhale667
08-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Not a bash - Tom Jones rules! :D

DLR Bridge
08-06-2013, 02:52 PM
When the drummer of the female glam band, Vixen, is more masculine than any one of these guys, I'd say that's a bit disconcerting.

Mr. Vengeance
08-06-2013, 03:02 PM
What have we learned from this thread-

All metal is gay according to Krusty.
All who listen to metal are/were gay according to Krusty.
Krusty's a dumb cunt.

Kristy
08-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Makes one wonder how much of metal was gay closeted in terms like "glam." It's more than just the make-up and hairspray, it was the BDSM posturing and misogynist lyrics. MTV has nothing to do with the end of metal as did Cobain. Metal died from embarrassing itself to death.

Mr. Vengeance
08-06-2013, 03:07 PM
I think that Kristy has every right to ask what the fuck was going on in the late 80s early 90s.

I think most people thought it was a bit ridiculous even at the time and there was a fair amount of piss taking going on.

As I was saying, arms race - it got them signed and a top 40 album, their music certainly didn't... :)

It was a look. Bands were trying to find something that was different, looked cool at the time. Thing is, the whole hair and makeup and drag clothing was what the metal scene evolved into. It certainly didn't start that way. Started out more biker-meets-bondage look. Then the whole glam, hair and lipstick thing began. Shit, they all did it too...Remember Ozzy's outfits from The Ultimate Sin era?

Bands were trying to make as much $$$ as they could. They did whatever was "cool" at the time. It lasted a very short time.

Mr. Vengeance
08-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Makes one wonder how much of metal was gay closeted in terms like "glam." It's more than just the make-up and hairspray, it was the BDSM posturing and misogynist lyrics. MTV has nothing to do with the end of metal as did Cobain. Metal died from embarrassing itself to death.

The shitty bands ended up dwarfing the good ones. Bands like Maiden had to reset and just wait out the storm. Also, metal fans started to find new types of metal. Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, etc. all started to become a little more popular.

Fuck, rap and hip hop have done more to kill rock n roll than MTV or Cobain or anything else. Those guys live the "rock" lifestyle that rock starts used to. It's all you hear if you turn on the radio these days.

jhale667
08-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Actually, if you read old VH interviews, it's mentioned they started dressing more "flashy" in an effort NOT to look like every other leathered-out biker looking band or jeans/T-shirt wearing rock band. Then the bands that came after them tried to out-do them. And notice it didn't get SUPER-glammy until everyone tried to outdo "Theater of Pain". So you can kinda blame the entire trend on Motley trying to outdo VH.

Matt White
08-06-2013, 03:23 PM
What killed "Hair Metal"?!?

BANDS with songs!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=foBxlvIGP-Q

Mr. Vengeance
08-06-2013, 03:57 PM
What killed "Hair Metal"?!?

BANDS with songs!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=foBxlvIGP-Q
And that scene died just as quickly. Grunge came along and all of a sudden the Alternative section of the record store was the biggest one in the place. Hardly makes it the alternative.....And like every other form of music that becomes the big thing, record companies went out and tried to sign every band wearing plaid in Seattle, and then everywhere else on the continent. The shitty bands then outnumbered that good ones. It died.

Zing!
08-06-2013, 04:48 PM
It was a look. Bands were trying to find something that was different, looked cool at the time. Thing is, the whole hair and makeup and drag clothing was what the metal scene evolved into. It certainly didn't start that way. Started out more biker-meets-bondage look. Then the whole glam, hair and lipstick thing began. Shit, they all did it too...Remember Ozzy's outfits from The Ultimate Sin era?

Bands were trying to make as much $$$ as they could. They did whatever was "cool" at the time. It lasted a very short time.

It wasn't just metal. Bowie, Jagger, Alice Cooper, and others were already smearing on the lipstick and eyeshadow ten years before this. It was a phase that would have eventually run its course, and metal would have returned to its ugly-ass roots.

Unfortunately Cobain and co. showed up...

fraroc
08-06-2013, 06:20 PM
In recent years, I've been faced with the horrible fact that the death of Rock n' Roll is nigh, and I'm praying every day that there will be a new rock n' roll band that will kick the asses of dubstep, gangsta rap, house music, and tween pop. But the more I see of music getting shittier and new rock groups being ignored by record labels, my prayers will remain unawnsered. I honestly wouldn't mind it at all if hair metal made a comeback.

Angel
08-06-2013, 06:44 PM
In recent years, I've been faced with the horrible fact that the death of Rock n' Roll is nigh, and I'm praying every day that there will be a new rock n' roll band that will kick the asses of dubstep, gangsta rap, house music, and tween pop. But the more I see of music getting shittier and new rock groups being ignored by record labels, my prayers will remain unawnsered. I honestly wouldn't mind it at all if hair metal made a comeback.

Hmmm. I hear lots of stuff I like, mostly Canadian bands. Sheepdogs, Monster Truck...

Anonymous
08-06-2013, 08:56 PM

Should I want to bang any of those or are they all men? Even the one on the bottom left, with the white pants?

And what's wrong with their music? It KICKS ASS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8pNR-ha_W0

PARTEH!!!

Anonymous
08-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Who I need to bang is Kristy, show her that not all Metal fans are gay, even though I was, once.

Not too toot my own horn, which is usually tooted by someone else, but my satisfaction ratio is quite favourable, so I'm pretty sure I can get that silly notion out of her head.

Kristy
08-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Naw, you'd still be gay.

Seshmeister
08-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Should I want to bang any of those or are they all men? Even the one on the bottom left, with the white pants?

And what's wrong with their music? It KICKS ASS!!!

PARTEH!!!

I saw them twice live back in the day - good gigs to pick up girls at. :)

Anonymous
08-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Naw, you'd still be gay.

What if I told you that, though I bought every single Manowar album, I ended up not buying the official Best Of because the cover was that picture you found?

I mean, I WANTED to buy the album, but I didn't want it in my room. Or look at it. It made me uncomfortable.

Not curious. Uncomfortable.

Am I still gay?

sonrisa salvaje
08-06-2013, 09:17 PM
What most people describe as hair metal was not metal. No one can convince me that Bon Jovi, Poison, Warrant and the like were metal. For the sake of this thread, however, it is all being lumped together so i'll just go with it. What killed the hard rock and metal scene to me were the following:
1. Van Halen broke up and DLR was replaced with a power ranger.
2. Van Halen 1984, Quiet Riot's Metal Health, Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil, The Scorpions' Love at First Sting and Ratt Out of the Cellar all go multi platinum and reach a huge audience around the same time. The record companies realize they can ride this wave to mega money.
3. Motley Crue does an about face in 85 with Theatre of Pain and hit again with newer audiences and a different style of music.
4. The Sunset Strip becomes the minor league of metal and the drafting pool for the next big thing. 86 sees the rise of Van Hager, a repackaged Bon Jovi and the emergence of Poison.
5. The record companies refuse to let band's be themselves and start programming them to meet a formula. For every Tesla there are 3 Faster Pussycats and L.A. Guns. The market becomes saturated with the likes of Warrant, Slaughter, Winger, Trixter, Firehouse, Mr. Big and a watered down Kiss and Whitesnake.
6. Reset button is pushed.

Seshmeister
08-06-2013, 10:11 PM
It's a bit more grey than that though, it depends where you draw the line. Is it about how they look or how they sound?

Were Skid Row a hair metal band?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/697b9df9bdc6f1cec1cbad32d351ba9e/tumblr_mjhr9peCsW1s2v8zjo1_500.jpg

Or Guns N Roses?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR6A8-kQtJcMquRs_u2Z89OLbkj0qdVW0JESHpIOCX3-PSoyJ0sg

Queensryche?

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/bandpics/queensryche.jpg

FORD
08-07-2013, 12:57 AM
I never heard of that Welsh transvestite hair band before, but their makeup makes Poison look downright hetero by comparison.

As for their hair.... guess they just couldn't let The Alarm (from 81 to 86 at least) hold the record for most ridiculous Welsh haircuts.

binnie
08-07-2013, 03:27 AM
Guys, I think Kristy's onto us.

If she keeps digging, she'll find the secret forum - 'The Dungeon' - where Elvis leads the was in the BDSM activites that we all really come here for...

binnie
08-07-2013, 03:30 AM
I quite like Tigertailz......

(Closet open.......)

Anonymous
08-07-2013, 07:13 AM
I quite like Tigertailz.....

Me too. Let's get naked & pump our fists.

In the air.

Nothing gay about that.

Igosplut
08-07-2013, 07:49 AM

Remember who pretty much brought it to the fore-front.....

http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/dec09/images/ClassicTracks_01.jpg

hideyoursheep
08-07-2013, 08:10 AM
RJD is partially correct, in that all of a sudden bands with not much talent were on MTV, but MTV didn't really play a ton of metal to begin with. It was pretty slim pickings unless it was Headbangers Ball. The bands like Poison, say what you will about them, probably kept metal alive for several years on TV.

Metal never really needed TV at all. It was there before MTV, it's still there now....You just have to find it, mostly on the internet. Hair Metal died. Personally I enjoyed a lot of those bands. Then record execs started signing every band they could find, based on their look, and you would up with the Pretty Boy Floyds and D'Molls and Firehouses of the music world. Oversaturated, and the lousy bands started to outnumber the good ones to the point where the good bands faded into the background. Then the whole grunge thing started and kids tastes changed...end of Hair Metal.

Good call.

I doubt I would have heard of Iron Maiden, if not for MTV In the early days tho...once "Thriller" came out, it fucked MTV up forever.

hideyoursheep
08-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Remember who pretty much brought it to the fore-front.....

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m435/Damiaanko/AliceCooper-LoveItToDeath1971-Front.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/Damiaanko/media/AliceCooper-LoveItToDeath1971-Front.jpg.html)

:amen:

hideyoursheep
08-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Metal isn't dead. The shitty version that MTV tried to force down everyone's throat however, did. The record execuitives deserve all the credit for that,

Nirvana didn't do a damned thing that punk bands like KILLING JOKE didn't already do 10 years earlier.....they just did it slower, with better recording equipment, and a fistful of heroin.

Nirvana....Pfffffft! Emo-boo-hoo-woe-is-me-cut-myself shit. You HAVE to be high to WANT to listen to that.

Kristy
08-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Metal isn't dead.

You're right, metal isn't dead. It's dead and buried. And Nirvana were never emo.

private parts
08-07-2013, 10:28 AM

I was embarrassed for them until Beavis and Butthead made me laugh at them.

private parts
08-07-2013, 10:32 AM
actually, if you read old vh interviews, it's mentioned they started dressing more "flashy" in an effort not to look like every other leathered-out biker looking band or jeans/t-shirt wearing rock band. Then the bands that came after them tried to out-do them. And notice it didn't get super-glammy until everyone tried to outdo "theater of pain". So you can kinda blame the entire trend on motley trying to outdo vh.

bingo!!

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Guys, I think Kristy's onto us.

If she keeps digging, she'll find the secret forum - 'The Dungeon' - where Elvis leads the was in the BDSM activites that we all really come here for...

Yup...I hope she didn't see those pictures of me with that bullwhip up my ass while we were all listening to "Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich"!

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 10:43 AM
You're right, metal isn't dead. It's dead and buried. And Nirvana were never emo.
No, they were just overrated fuckers with one good album (Bleach was okay too, I guess) who's whiny leader blew his head off because he couldn't handle fame and fortune. boo hoo.....

twonabomber
08-07-2013, 11:04 AM
No, they were just overrated fuckers with one good album (Bleach was okay too, I guess) who's whiny leader blew his head off because he couldn't handle fame and fortune. boo hoo.....

I thought it was because his widdle tummy hurt...

Kristy
08-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, because if Cobain dressed in leather, wore make up and wrote "songs" about his cock or Satan you'd be the first in line to blow him.

jhale667
08-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Cobain did wear makeup. Plenty of pictures out there of him sportin' eyeliner. Just sayin'. :biggrin:

Kristy
08-07-2013, 11:28 AM
So you're already half-way there.

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Cobain was a fagggggggg. Deal with it Krusty.

FORD
08-07-2013, 11:37 AM

No he wasn't.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

DLR Bridge
08-07-2013, 11:50 AM

Your're a Sabbath fan. Nirvana was "Black Sabbath meets the Knack". Why all the hate?

FORD
08-07-2013, 11:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC5a5Plph-c

Anonymous
08-07-2013, 11:54 AM

They might've started the whole trend, though. Oh, woe is me. Then Radiohead came out with that creep song & every teenager around the world thought that song was about them.

Fuck that shit.

Give me fag metal any day over THAT bullshit. I wanna party, drink & fuck, not feel miserable about myself because noone understands me.

Those grunge motherfuckers should've all died way earlier & saved the rest of the world some trouble.

Anonymous
08-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Your're a Sabbath fan. Nirvana was "Black Sabbath meets the Knack". Why all the hate?

NEVER do that again.

Comparing Tony Iommi to Turd Cobain, what a sacrilege.

FORD
08-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Those grunge motherfuckers should've all died way earlier & saved the rest of the world some trouble.

That's a little harsh.....

But it would have been just fine with me if nobody outside Cascadia had ever heard of them. I would have rather seen Soundgarden playing at Lakefair and Nirvana playing at a party at somebody's goddamn house than at the fucking Key Arena any damn time.

Fucking MTV and the music corporations took that away from us......

Anonymous
08-07-2013, 12:07 PM
That's a little harsh.....

But it would have been just fine with me if nobody outside Cascadia had ever heard of them. I would have rather seen Soundgarden playing at Lakefair and Nirvana playing at a party at somebody's goddamn house than at the fucking Key Arena any damn time.

Fucking MTV and the music corporations took that away from us......

Well, that would've worked too, of course.

DLR Bridge
08-07-2013, 12:11 PM
NEVER do that again.

Comparing Tony Iommi to Turd Cobain, what a sacrilege.

Pfff. I'll do it twenty times more and you'll like it!

But seriously, love'em, hate'em or plain old' don't give a shit about'em, Nirvana walked into a restaurant filled with shitty bands and flipped every one of their fucking tables over. Now that's powerful stuff.

Kristy
08-07-2013, 12:18 PM

I have dealt with it

http://photos.pokerplayer.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_30/total_gambler_15001_15.jpg

Kristy
08-07-2013, 12:20 PM
They might've started the whole trend, though. Oh, woe is me.

You gay metalheads. You so miss the obvious.
http://heim.etherweave.com/weblog/archives/13914_smiths.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
08-07-2013, 12:22 PM
I have dealt with it

http://photos.pokerplayer.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_30/total_gambler_15001_15.jpg

3 points in cribbage

Anonymous
08-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Pfff. I'll do it twenty times more and you'll like it!

But seriously, love'em, hate'em or plain old' don't give a shit about'em, Nirvana walked into a restaurant filled with shitty bands and flipped every one of their fucking tables over. Now that's powerful stuff.

More like wandered in & started whining 'till everybody left.

Not exactly powerful...

Anonymous
08-07-2013, 01:34 PM
You gay metalheads. You so miss the obvious.
http://heim.etherweave.com/weblog/archives/13914_smiths.jpg

Nope. For example, it's pretty obvious that, even after I gave you the best orgasm in your whole life, as soon as you'd get your wits about you, you'd turn around & claim that was gay. :lol:

Anonymous
08-07-2013, 01:37 PM
3 points in cribbage

You missed the point.

DLR Bridge
08-07-2013, 01:37 PM
More like wandered in & started whining 'till everybody left.

Not exactly powerful...

Yeah, that's how it went down.:rolleyes:

Karma86
08-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Admittedly there's truth to some of it. It got commercial but it also reinvented some of them bands that never got exposure they deserved. RJD was one of my favorites the guys voice and song writing was one of the best. He was classic in every way! Poison Bon Jovi yea got over the top exposure and it got old and over played. I watched for hours to catch more of the classic bands. In another sense though you cant fault any of it. If it wasn't for MTV's video's I never would be the fan of a lot of these bands I am. I know that Jani Lane of Warrant was so angry for what they were portrayed as. He never forgave himself for being the( Cherry Pie guy!) but it did also get him recognized. In the end, and in a sense he came to terms with it. Outside of that Jani lane was a great song writer cant fault him for that. I think a lot of those Heavy Metal (Hair Bands) have come to terms that they were there best when MTV ruled there circuit. They wouldn't be where they are today if it weren't for MTV.:drum::headscratch:

DLR Bridge
08-07-2013, 03:08 PM
He (Jani Lane) came to terms with it? I thought it was what drove him to drink himself to death.

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 03:24 PM
He's a faaaaaaaagggggg!!!!!

I'm just acting like Krusty....

But Cobain and Nirvana were vastly overated. One good album. That abortion they released after Nevermind was pure shit on a stick.

Most talented guy in the band, by far, was the drummer, who's made albums that blow Nevermind away.

jhale667
08-07-2013, 03:28 PM
He (Jani Lane) came to terms with it? I thought it was what drove him to drink himself to death.

The horror stories I've heard about touring with him when he was at his worst... just wow... :headlights:

Karma86
08-07-2013, 03:32 PM
He was on That Metal Show roughly one month before he died. He admitted to coming to terms with his earlier claim to hating what the industry did to them and being the Cherry Pie Guy! He admitted also that in the end he knew that it gave them the fame. The recognition they deserved. But he also was a chronic alcoholic. On the show he did say he was off the bottle and recovering. He also was going to tour with Warrant and perform using all of those songs he wrote. Because he was at terms with it, and what they did on MTV did give them the popularity and discovery they needed to be who they were. He partied hard and couldn't stop, weather it was his music, or song writing that killed him or drove him to the bottle. I think the bottle was his best friend and yes I'm sure his career led to it.

chefcraig
08-07-2013, 03:33 PM

Pretty much. I remember reading an article about him several years ago wherein he stated that when the band walked into the record company's office, he knew they'd made it since there was a huge painting of the Cherry Pie album adorning a wall. He pretty much knew things were over the next time he visited the place, when he discovered Alice In Chains' Dirt album had taken their place.

And of course there was the quote on some MTV program from that fat-assed lead singer for Loverboy, who whined that the reason his band's fortunes had headed south was because he couldn't write songs as depressing as Kurt Cobain.

The fact is, my band opened for a great number of these former hair band outfits, and every single one of them (with the profoundly notable exception of Dee Snider, a classy as all, inspiring, decent guy and true gentleman, not to mention a consummate professional) were pissed off, arrogant, substance abusing, delusional and waaaaay too full of their own sense of self importance to function on even a subhuman level.

Karma86
08-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Dee Snider! couldn't have said it better myself!

binnie
08-07-2013, 03:42 PM
So you're already half-way there.

That's close to quoting Bon Jovi.

Now THAT is gay :D

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Pretty much. I remember reading an article about him several years ago wherein he stated that when the band walked into the record company's office, he knew they'd made it since there was a huge painting of the Cherry Pie album adorning a wall. He pretty much knew things were over the next time he visited the place, when he discovered Alice In Chains' Dirt album had taken their place.

And of course there was the quote on some MTV program from that fat-assed lead singer for Loverboy, who whined that the reason his band's fortunes had headed south was because he couldn't write songs as depressing as Kurt Cobain.

The fact is, my band opened for a great number of these former hair band outfits, and every single one of them (with the profoundly notable exception of Dee Snider, a classy as all, inspiring, decent guy and true gentleman, not to mention a consummate professional) were pissed off, arrogant, substance abusing, delusional and waaaaay too full of their own sense of self importance to function on even a subhuman level.

You mean of all the bands you got to open for, only Dee wasn't an asshole? I find that surprising.

chefcraig
08-07-2013, 04:14 PM
You mean of all the bands you got to open for, only Dee wasn't an asshole? I find that surprising.

I am not exaggerating here. These guys had not made the adaptation from being MTV darlings to playing dives and bars (that merely fronted for coke dealing operations) in the late 1990s with even a hint of grace. Granted, we were a local, upcoming and therefor starving little band, yet everyone starts out that way. That these jerks achieved success (no matter how briefly), you'd think they would remember their humble origins as well, but sadly, that was not the case. They treated the promoter, the club owner, opening bands and yes, even the fans like they were gracing us with their mere presence, even when this ment being 45 minutes to a couple hours late, even when they were staying at the no-tell motel three blocks from the venue.To a man, these guys still thought they were rock and roll royalty and their flatulence carried no fragrance, even though they were touring in a beat up station wagon with a U-Haul trailer bolted to the back bumper.

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 05:04 PM
I am not exaggerating here. These guys had not made the adaptation from being MTV darlings to playing dives and bars (that merely fronted for coke dealing operations) in the late 1990s with even a hint of grace. Granted, we were a local, upcoming and therefor starving little band, yet everyone starts out that way. That these jerks achieved success (no matter how briefly), you'd think they would remember their humble origins as well, but sadly, that was not the case. They treated the promoter, the club owner, opening bands and yes, even the fans like they were gracing us with their mere presence, even when this ment being 45 minutes to a couple hours late, even when they were staying at the no-tell motel three blocks from the venue.To a man, these guys still thought they were rock and roll royalty and their flatulence carried no fragrance, even though they were touring in a beat up station wagon with a U-Haul trailer bolted to the back bumper.

I guess I can see guys in that situation being pretty bummed, but there's no excuse to shit on the fans who show up. I recently saw Faster Pussycat in some little bar. Maybe 150 people there. It was actually a great show, and afterwards the rest of the band stayed around and talked to fans, but Taime looked less than thrilled to be there, and he just went back to the bus. Must suck to go from sold out arenas (albeit as an opening act) and festivals, to a tiny club.

LoungeMachine
08-07-2013, 05:14 PM
My experiences with the once-greats from the 80's have been well documented here. ;)

:gulp:

There are really some nice guys still having fun, and then there are the bitter tools. [Yes, I'm looking at you Don and George]

jhale667
08-07-2013, 05:34 PM
My experiences with the once-greats from the 80's have been well documented here. ;)

There are really some nice guys still having fun, and then there are the bitter tools. [Yes, I'm looking at you Don and George]

Same here. The only difference being George has always been cool to me, and digs the Bomber guitar. :baaa:

Kristy
08-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Admittedly there's truth to some of it. It got commercial but it also reinvented some of them bands that never got exposure they deserved.

Oh bull-fucking-shit. If anything, metal was way overexposed for its own good. You want to know why I fucking HATE metal? It's not because they couldn't play or were assholes for the most part. It is due to the majority of these bands becoming comedy acts that went beyond the pale of absurdity. Like I said, the leather, the spandex, the hair, the whole fucking effeminate/gay persona. These dog and pony acts knew if they played that shit up they got instantaneous exposure for the suits at MTV; these bands wanted notoriety and not much else besides skank pussy and cocaine (mostly cocaine since again, most of them were gay). If one of them never got the exposure they "deserved" chances were good they were not marketable to begin with.

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Oh bull-fucking-shit. If anything, metal was way overexposed for its own good. You want to know why I fucking HATE metal? It's not because they couldn't play or were assholes for the most part. It is due to the majority of these bands becoming comedy acts that went beyond the pale of absurdity. Like I said, the leather, the spandex, the hair, the whole fucking effeminate/gay persona. These dog and pony acts knew if they played that shit up they got instantaneous exposure for the suits at MTV; these bands wanted notoriety and not much else besides skank pussy and cocaine (mostly cocaine since again, most of them were gay). If one of them never got the exposure they "deserved" chances were good they were not marketable to begin with.

We GET it. You hate all rock. You think all rock bands are gay. You think fans of rock are gay.

Now shut the fuck up and go lick some pussy. Anyone this consumed with gayness must be a carpet muncher.

fraroc
08-07-2013, 06:15 PM

Hey Krusty, I bet you will love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-VQKXOmA5Y

Kristy
08-07-2013, 06:27 PM
We GET it. You hate all rock. You think all rock bands are gay. You think fans of rock are gay.

Now shut the fuck up and go lick some pussy. Anyone this consumed with gayness must be a carpet muncher.

Bitter much, old man?

Soon you'll be yelling at children to get off your (trailer park) lawn.

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 06:31 PM
No, I'm just sick of having to sift through your bullshit. I know it's all an act, but it's still a pain in the ass.

Tell us, what is good music according to you? I know you love Maiden's X Factor which shows what a joke your musical taste is, but enlighten us.

Give us something other than your stupid biullshit for a change....

Kristy
08-07-2013, 06:34 PM
I know you love Maiden's X Factor

Um, who?

Seshmeister
08-07-2013, 06:34 PM
I guess I can see guys in that situation being pretty bummed, but there's no excuse to shit on the fans who show up. I recently saw Faster Pussycat in some little bar. Maybe 150 people there. It was actually a great show, and afterwards the rest of the band stayed around and talked to fans, but Taime looked less than thrilled to be there, and he just went back to the bus. Must suck to go from sold out arenas (albeit as an opening act) and festivals, to a tiny club.

Is Taime not the only original member though?

I don't understand the economics of some of these bands at all they must be playing for pocket money and I guess that's why they are so pissed off.

Faster Pussy cat just did a 20 date tour of Europe across 7 countries in 3 weeks.

Looking at the venues and reviews they can't be averaging more than 150 a night at $20 so even if they get to keep the whole door that's $60k. They have a touring support, sound and management so flights, travel and accommodation for 15 has to be at least $40k and that's slumming it. Then you have equipment hire on top of that.

The venue in Scotland only holds 150. A lot of these gigs because they are close together are bad nights too like Mondays and Tuesdays. The Oslo gig is in a restaurant FFS. :)

At best they make their beer money and Taime gets a couple of grand. Don't get me wrong I would love to go on that tour as an adventure/vacation but I have a real job to support myself with. You wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of 40 earning $50 a night travelling and staying in those surroundings while hoping to save something off it to live on when you get home.

http://myglobalmind.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/faster-pussycat-tour-2013-e1373342797699.jpg

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Um, who?

You...

Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else, but you're still an annoying cunt.

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 06:40 PM

I don't understand the economics of some of these bands at all they must be playing for pocket money and I guess that's why they are so pissed off.

Faster Pussy cat just did a 20 date tour of Europe across 7 countries in 3 weeks.

Looking at the venues and reviews they can't be averaging more than 150 a night at $20 so even if they get to keep the whole door that's $60k. They have a touring support, sound and management so flights, travel and accommodation for 15 has to be at least $40k and that's slumming it. Then you have equipment hire on top of that.

The venue in Scotland only holds 150. A lot of these gigs because they are close together are bad nights too like Mondays and Tuesdays. The Oslo gig is in a restaurant FFS. :)

At best they make their beer money and Taime gets a couple of grand. Don't get me wrong I would love to go on that tour as an adventure/vacation but I have a real job to support myself with. You wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of 40 earning $50 a night travelling and staying in those surroundings while hoping to save something off it for when you get home.

http://myglobalmind.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/faster-pussycat-tour-2013-e1373342797699.jpg

They must get paid upfront. I guess when you play in a bar, the bar owner figures people will buy drinks, so the cover plus the booze covers the cost of hiring the band.

A band like FP probably books gigs like this between festival shows in Europe.

And yeah, Taime is the only original, but he new band is tight.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-07-2013, 06:41 PM

At best they make their beer money and Taime gets a couple of grand. Don't get me wrong I would love to go on that tour as an adventure/vacation but I have a real job to support myself with. You wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of 40 earning $50 a night travelling and staying in those surroundings while hoping to save something off it to live on when you get home.

is t heart a tranny group? ;)

LoungeMachine
08-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Looking at the venues and reviews they can't be averaging more than 150 a night at $20 so even if they get to keep the whole door that's $60k.

They don't play for the door, they're getting a guarantee.

Last time thru here, they were asking, and getting $2,500 for a small club gig, plus hospitality.

And generally these guys make as much, sometimes more off merch and "meet and greets" believe it or not.

$25 shirts that cost them $5, and they'll blow through 30 a night in a small club. Usually the club has to supply a merch person at their expense too [usually a gf of one of the bartenders, doing it for food/drink and a shirt]

Yes, it's chump change, but alot of these guys didn't get into tech firms or real estate after their slide.....so what is their option?

Taime ain't going to be a Wal Mart greeter. Although you will find more than a few restringing Faux Strats at Guitar Center ;)

Seshmeister
08-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Yeah the promoter I know who was offered them told me that the venues which could only hold 150 must be taking them at a loss which is strange to me, I guess they must try and make it back on the bar. I know a lot of US comedy venues have a gig apartment or trailer so that's some of the hospitality taken care of, I think that may be less common in Europe.

The thing about this tour that confuses me is the transatlantic flights and then the subsequent travel between countries. Looking at it I think it's possible using ferries but some pretty long hauls to do in a single day. I guess I should have just gone along and asked them, I actually had a ticket for the Edinburgh show but didn't bother going as I was busy.

jhale667
08-07-2013, 07:29 PM
They don't play for the door, they're getting a guarantee.

Last time thru here, they were asking, and getting $2,500 for a small club gig, plus hospitality.

And generally these guys make as much, sometimes more off merch and "meet and greets" believe it or not.

$25 shirts that cost them $5, and they'll blow through 30 a night in a small club. Usually the club has to supply a merch person at their expense too [usually a gf of one of the bartenders, doing it for food/drink and a shirt]

Yes, it's chump change, but alot of these guys didn't get into tech firms or real estate after their slide.....so what is their option?

Taime ain't going to be a Wal Mart greeter. Although you will find more than a few restringing Faux Strats at Guitar Center ;)

Let's not forget if they're not touring with a bus & backline (a lot more bands than you think aren't), the promoter(s) will usually have to pony up some or all of the airfare and equipment rental. Some of them aren't doing too bad still doing it.

Kristy
08-07-2013, 07:31 PM
You...

Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else, but you're still an annoying cunt.

Nice YouTube vid of you

jhale667
08-07-2013, 07:36 PM
I know a lot of US comedy venues have a gig apartment or trailer so that's some of the hospitality taken care of,

Uh, even if they do, you don't sleep on the bedding unless you're into having crabs... they're booking hotel rooms, trust me. And everyone doing it's become very savvy with frequent flyer mile bonuses, traveler's club upgrades, etc...

Kristy
08-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Hey Krusty, I bet you will love this song.

Not as much as I love watching your biography, fuckface

Seshmeister
08-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Uh, even if they do, you don't sleep on the bedding unless you're into having crabs... they're booking hotel rooms, trust me. And everyone doing it's become very savvy with frequent flyer mile bonuses, traveler's club upgrades, etc...

The funniest one I heard recently was Doug Stanhope, the comic, who just took 3 days out of his life, loaded up on downers and flew 4000 miles to South Africa and back via some other places for $2k to get him into Delta Diamond Club or something so that for the rest of the year he now mostly gets free upgrades. :)

Seshmeister
08-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Not as much as I love watching your biography, fuckface

That loses a bit of credibility by calling people stupid using terrible grammar and spelling. Is #8 your view too?

Really I think you can do better than than this. :)

Kristy
08-07-2013, 08:03 PM

To be fair and in order to reach out to a metalhead, you sometimes have to sink to their level of intelligence. The author of this video in that reguard did a wonderful job.

And yes, in case you're still wondering, I have dealt with it. See?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/2579652355_d6d79222fb.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
08-07-2013, 08:08 PM
2,4 and a pair is 6

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Notice Krusty still hasn't told us what she thinks are good bands....

Wouldn't want to look stupid when you tell us you're a huge Cure fan.

Seshmeister
08-07-2013, 08:15 PM
To be fair and in order to reach out to a metalhead, you sometimes have to sink to their level of intelligence. The author of this video in that reguard did a wonderful job.

Is that when you guard something twice? :)

Kristy
08-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Notice Krusty still hasn't told us what she thinks are good bands...

Okay asshole, if you must know.

I like rubber bands

http://trisupplies.shoppkg.com/Images/ProductImages/3305_xl.jpg
Never know when you might need one.

I'm all for arm bands
http://www.recwny.com/img/products/1202079428_AquaCoachSkillSchoolArmBands_1202079226 _AquaCoachSkil.jpg
Safety is important, you know.

Transmission bands

http://www.gottransmissions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/bands-transmission.jpg

A healthy transmission is vital.

Happy?

PETE'S BROTHER
08-07-2013, 08:20 PM

I like rubber bands

I'm all for arm bands
http://www.recwny.com/img/products/1202079428_AquaCoachSkillSchoolArmBands_1202079226 _AquaCoachSkil.jpg

Transmission bands

http://www.gottransmissions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/bands-transmission.jpg

Happy?

state your take on lap bands?

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 08:22 PM
2,4 and a pair is 6
You can't see the cut card....could be more.

Kristy
08-07-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm against them.

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 08:24 PM

I like rubber bands

I'm all for arm bands

Transmission bands

Happy?

Wow..classic stuff, and as usual, cuntface won't come clean about music.

She's a boyband fan!!!!!!! Heavy Menudo guilt!!!!!

Kristy
08-07-2013, 08:35 PM
You just can't talk to a metalhead these days.

LoungeMachine
08-07-2013, 08:49 PM

He really can't.

jhale667
08-07-2013, 08:50 PM
The funniest one I heard recently was Doug Stanhope, the comic, who just took 3 days out of his life, loaded up on downers and flew 4000 miles to South Africa and back via some other places for $2k to get him into Delta Diamond Club or something so that for the rest of the year he now mostly gets free upgrades. :)

Comics and touring musicians rack up insane amounts of flyer miles.

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2013, 10:28 PM
You just can't talk to a metalhead these days.
Take your fuckin' top off and we'll talk.

Kristy
08-08-2013, 12:51 AM
http://www.2040cars.com/_content/cars/images/9/450309/001.jpg

Okay, talk.

binnie
08-08-2013, 04:58 AM
I like The Cure.

Just sayin'............................................ .

hideyoursheep
08-08-2013, 05:14 AM
http://www.2040cars.com/_content/cars/images/9/450309/001.jpg

That car is gay. I'll bet the Blaupunkt plays metal when you're not around. :moon:

Seriously, get real. :liar: That's not even your ride. everyone knows you're too simple to drive a stick.

You own a BINTley.:monekyr:

hideyoursheep
08-08-2013, 05:43 AM
You're right, metal isn't dead. It's dead and buried.

Okay well, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Holland, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungariy, Ireland, Italy,New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the U.K. and the U.S. didn't get your memo, because Black Sabbath's new album has made the top 10......Oh, and #15 in France.

You have a lot of emails to send out-better get busy throwing on that last handfull of dirt, if you think it's "dead and buried".

:lol:

Kristy
08-08-2013, 09:27 AM
That car is gay. I'll bet the Blaupunkt plays metal when you're not around. :moon:

Seriously, get real. :liar: That's not even your ride. everyone knows you're too simple to drive a stick.

You own a BINTley.:monekyr:

Think you kind of missed the joke there, Mr. Nonobvious Asshole.

Kristy
08-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Okay well, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Holland, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungariy, Ireland, Italy,New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the U.K. and the U.S. didn't get your memo, because Black Sabbath's new album has made the top 10......Oh, and #15 in France.

You have a lot of emails to send out-better get busy throwing on that last handfull of dirt, if you think it's "dead and buried".

:lol:

You're talking that shit, pussy death metal. Fucking comical.

private parts
08-08-2013, 09:45 AM
He's a faaaaaaaagggggg!!!!!

I'm just acting like Krusty....

But Cobain and Nirvana were vastly overated. One good album. That abortion they released after Nevermind was pure shit on a stick.

Most talented guy in the band, by far, was the drummer, who's made albums that blow Nevermind away.

Let Tony explain it.

Kristy
08-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Oh yeah, The Sopranos sucked .

VetteLS5
08-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Notice Krusty still hasn't told us what she thinks are good bands....

She LUVS this band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8GuPkbIrVo

Karma86
08-08-2013, 11:51 AM
ok who made this all about you Kristy! its about MTV not about fucking Rubber Bands and the bullshit you are carriien on about! jeez Ive heard enough already get back to the subject already!:blah:

FORD
08-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Yeah, but if you made a guitar out of rubber bands and an old cigar box it would sound better than anything played on eMpTyV since about 1997.

Karma86
08-08-2013, 12:17 PM
call it as you see it. The 80's Heavy Metal industry would not have been what they were back then. I admit it got cheesy and there was a lot of the same sound. I get it I wouldnt say it was all horrible. There are Heavy Metal survivors of the 90's grunge invasion. I dont single out one erra of rock music, rock music is rock music. They all come from the same place to get too the top. MTV just helped the 80's be the icon it is!

Kristy
08-08-2013, 01:38 PM
ok who made this all about you Kristy! its about MTV not about fucking Rubber Bands and the bullshit you are carriien on about! jeez Ive heard enough already get back to the subject already!:blah:

I never left the subject, you twerp. Heavy metal is gay.

Mr. Vengeance
08-08-2013, 03:53 PM
I never left the subject, you twerp. Heavy metal is gay.
That wasn't the subject. You made that the subject because you think everything is gay.

hideyoursheep
08-09-2013, 03:53 AM
pussy death metal.

Women never use the word "pussy" in a sentence, until they're telling me it's mine.

binnie
08-09-2013, 04:28 AM
What was it you didn't like about The Sopranos, Kristy?

Genuinely interested - I've never come across someone who didn't like it.

Mr. Vengeance
08-09-2013, 08:49 AM
What was it you didn't like about The Sopranos, Kristy?

Genuinely interested - I've never come across someone who didn't like it.

All mobsters are gay.

private parts
08-09-2013, 09:55 AM
All mobsters are gay.

Well a least one was.

private parts
08-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Oh yeah, The Sopranos sucked .

What do you get when you cross-breed a Kristy and an Elvis?........ The meanest and nastiest little puke baby on the planet wearing sunglasses.:biggrin:

Kristy
08-09-2013, 12:10 PM
I'd rather be fucked in the face by mobster than hear another god damn heavy metal song* Or one about wedding presents.

*excluding Judas Priest

Mr. Vengeance
08-09-2013, 01:52 PM
My goal is now to get Kristy to blow me while I crank out Priest, "You Got Another Thing Coming"...and just as Rob screams ""COMING OH YEAH!!!!!!" I give her the goo.......

Kristy
08-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Problem with that is you got no "goo"

chefcraig
08-09-2013, 02:01 PM
My goal is now to get Kristy to blow me while I crank out Priest, "You Got Another Thing Coming"...and just as Rob screams ""COMING OH YEAH!!!!!!" I give her the goo.......

Nah, cue up The Sentinel. Waaaaay more high notes there, provided you have the...uhhh...stamina.

Mr. Vengeance
08-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Problem with that is you got no "goo"

Oh, I do.:blow:

Karma86
08-09-2013, 02:45 PM
wow totaly off subject again maybe you two need to get youre own page have at already and talk all you want about goo and face fucking on youre page. TWERP WTF I comment on what the subject is! Dont call me twerp when Im on here for the subject. You turned this whole thing into YOU! bullshit girl all about the attention! And you gotta have it and Im gussing IN EVERY WAY!!!!!

sonrisa salvaje
08-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Kristy really likes 80's heavy metal. She has just been in a bad mood every since Jay Cutler left Denver. They were an item.

Karma86
08-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Cutler is a douche bag! the guy is one of the most over rated QB's in the league. Denver is way better off with Manning, one of the best in my book. Even though I'm a Vikings fan SKOL!!!!!!!!!!! GO VIKES!!!! Manning and Brady are the best in the league and Cutler will never be Hall of Fame material ever. She can have him!

Van Halen was on MTV just as much as the others. Van Halen's JUMP, Panama, Hot For Teacher I have to say were my all time favorite Video's. Friday Night videos midnight every Friday I watched religiously. I couldn't wait for, Van Halen's JUMP (number one for 6 weeks running) All time best Video. Van Halen was a huge part of the 80's Heavy Metal (Hair Band) Craze. I was a fan of them before Motley Crue or Poison.

Mr. Vengeance
08-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Friday Night Videos.....damn....I used to tune in every Friday, just waiting for something cool to be played.

Angel
08-12-2013, 08:13 PM
wow totaly off subject again maybe you two need to get youre own page have at already and talk all you want about goo and face fucking on youre page. TWERP WTF I comment on what the subject is! Dont call me twerp when Im on here for the subject. You turned this whole thing into YOU! bullshit girl all about the attention! And you gotta have it and Im gussing IN EVERY WAY!!!!!

Who the fuck are you and do you know where you are?

Karma86
08-13-2013, 11:25 AM
yes I do and really who the fuck am I! How old are you! defending Kristy? really? she has nothing nice to say at all she does is derail every and any thing to get attention! Really?!:headscratch:

chefcraig
08-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Friday Night Videos.....damn....I used to tune in every Friday, just waiting for something cool to be played.

Yeah, but instead all you'd ever get was Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl." That's why I always dug into USA's Night Flight. They'd show bizarre cartoons, New Wave Theater, interviews by Lisa Robinson and all sorts of loony shit. Sadly, it became cheaper for the network to simply host videos, and it died soon afterward.

Angel
08-13-2013, 11:35 AM
yes I do and really who the fuck am I! How old are you! defending Kristy? really? she has nothing nice to say at all she does is derail every and any thing to get attention! Really?!:headscratch:

Where was I defending anybody? Most threads around here go off topic or get derailed. You might want to check your panties. They appear to be terribly twisted.

FORD
08-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Night Flight was fucking awesome. Especially when they played movies like "The Decline of Western Civilization", "URRGH, a Music War", and "Ladies & Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06kCwPpyjCk

chefcraig
08-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Night Flight was fucking awesome. Especially when they played movies like "The Decline of Western Civilization", "URRGH, a Music War", and "Ladies & Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains".

There were some clunkers along the way, yet every so often the show would feature shit so far removed from reality that it defied description. Like this for example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMP9njfyX6U

FORD
08-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Damn.... I actually remember that horrible cartoon. Guess the memory cells from the 80s weren't totally killed off after all :gulp:

Mr. Vengeance
08-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Yeah, but instead all you'd ever get was Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl." That's why I always dug into USA's Night Flight. They'd show bizarre cartoons, New Wave Theater, interviews by Lisa Robinson and all sorts of loony shit. Sadly, it became cheaper for the network to simply host videos, and it died soon afterward.

Growing up in Montreal, we had a local show called "Night Life with Peter King". On late on Fridays, after FNV. That dude used to have a lot of cool shit. Good mix of tunes. His show was the first time I saw Motley Crue "Looks That Kill". He also played a lot of R&B.

FORD
08-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Growing up in Montreal, we had a local show called "Night Life with Peter King". On late on Fridays, after FNV. That dude used to have a lot of cool shit. Good mix of tunes. His show was the first time I saw Motley Crue "Looks That Kill". He also played a lot of R&B.

....and then he moved to New York and became a psychotic right wing congressman :(

Mr. Vengeance
08-13-2013, 02:07 PM
....and then he moved to New York and became a psychotic right wing congressman :(

Not even the same race.

Mr. Vengeance
08-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Where was I defending anybody? Most threads around here go off topic or get derailed. You might want to check your panties. They appear to be terribly twisted.

Yeah, but a lot of those are just a thread losing steam and going in another direction. That loser goes out of her way to just be a pain in the ass. Never adds much constructive, just incites with rhetoric, like calling everything/everyone gay.