PDA

View Full Version : Would You Eat A Burger Grown In A Lab?

FORD
08-07-2013, 10:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSI-7jhS6jU

Coyote
08-07-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm intrigued...

*edit* Although I hope they won't add anything else beyond food coloring to that...

twonabomber
08-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Saw that on the local news yesterday.

So they're going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to avoid some methane gas? What a fucking waste of money.

Kristy
08-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Where's Alex Jone$ when you need him?

jhale667
08-07-2013, 10:59 AM

So they're going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to avoid some methane gas? What a fucking waste of money.

It's not just about methane emissions, it's about saving land you'd have to alot for grazing (which there isn't going to be enough of anywhere on earth soon), not to mention the space to house and process all the cows. Plus the animal rights set loves it since no cows will actually die for meat if the technology becomes affordable.

But $300K and several months for a single burger patty they had to drown in butter to make tolerable? They're not anywhere near ready yet...

twonabomber
08-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Where's my "if meat is murder, murder tastes pretty fucking good" pic?

Member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals...

FORD
08-07-2013, 11:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0C-pjBAzVQ

Nickdfresh
08-07-2013, 06:07 PM
If meat is murder, then why did Morrissey put so much of it in his mouth?

Seshmeister
08-07-2013, 07:43 PM

You as a red meat loving car freak should be all over this... :)

The cattle cause more CO2 than all the motor vehicles combined.

Plus there simply isn't enough water on the planet to feed everyone meat - the figures are nuts. 2500 gallons of water per pound of beef, a couple of big cattle and that's an Olympic swimming pool. We already use half of all the fresh water, when I say we like with most per capita planet fucking I mean all first world countries but mainly Americans. :)

http://www.data360.org/temp/dsg757_500_350.jpg

fraroc
08-07-2013, 09:29 PM
I don't get this whole lab-grown meat non-organic stuff. What is so bad about eating a goddamn veggie burger? It's a hell of a lot easier to make than this.

Seshmeister
08-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Well it depends if they get good at mass producing it or not.

There aren't a lot of brilliant veggie burgers out there in my experience but I'm no expert being a carnivore.

Maybe it could be used for astronauts going to Mars or whatever.

Either way you'll be at least in your 30s before this comes to pass...

FORD
08-07-2013, 11:28 PM
If meat is murder, then why did Morrissey put so much of it in his mouth?

Well even though some of his lyrics might hint at him being gay, he's also long claimed to be "asexual" which would mean that kind of meat isn't going in his mouth either. :biggrin:

sadaist
08-08-2013, 09:44 AM
No I would not eat lab meat. Not knowingly anyways. And a while back I read a story of an Asian scientist creating edible meat in a lab from a protein in human feces. Yup. Meat grown from shit. At least Soylent Green was the actual meat from people and not just their shit.

twonabomber
08-08-2013, 09:46 AM
You as a red meat loving car freak should be all over this... :)

The cattle cause more CO2 than all the motor vehicles combined.

Plus there simply isn't enough water on the planet to feed everyone meat - the figures are nuts. 2500 gallons of water per pound of beef, a couple of big cattle and that's an Olympic swimming pool. We already use half of all the fresh water, when I say we like with most per capita planet fucking I mean all first world countries but mainly Americans. :)

http://www.data360.org/temp/dsg757_500_350.jpg

The day I look out my window and don't see any water in Lake Erie is the day I start to worry.

ThrillsNSpills
08-09-2013, 03:43 PM
I thought we already had burgers from a test tube.
It's called McDonalds.

Did a McNugget ever cluck?
I think not.
Can't be much different for their definition of beef.

Jesus Christ
08-12-2013, 07:15 PM
If Dad & I did not make it, ye probably should not eat it.

Easy rule to live by, in theory, yet harder in practice due to the deception of thy corporations.

Coyote
08-16-2013, 07:39 PM
I'd still give that a shot. Even if Jesus said otherwise... Oh wait...