PDA

View Full Version : Texas Teen Back In Court For Facebook Threat

Seshmeister
08-13-2013, 10:28 AM
http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/texas-teen-back-court-facebook-threat-11082.shtml

Texas Teen Back In Court For Facebook 'Threat'

Updated: Monday, August 12 2013, 07:52 PM CDT

The Texas teen jailed for making a Facebook threat is back in court. Justin Carter is accused of threatening to shoot up a kindergarten. The teen says they were just sarcastic remarks made during a heated exchange on Facebook. On Monday the 19 year old went before a Comal County judge in New Braunfels. Carter is preparing to go to trial on a charge that could get him eight to 10 years behind bars. "When you say comments that are offensive people are going to take a look and now law enforcement is going to take a look," said attorney Donald Flanary. Carter's troubles started while playing the online video game League of Legends. The angry exchange that started there continued on Facebook and that's when Carter posted a comment he now regrets. Today his attorney revealed the actual conversation that led to Carter's arrest.

Justin writes, "I'm fucked in the head alright. I think I'ma shoot up a kindergarten. And watch the blood of the innocent rain down." The girl he's arguing with online responds, "I hope you fucking bring in hell you ###### !!!!!!." Justin writes, "And eat the beating heart out of one of them."

Attorney Donald Flanary says Justin's use of the words "I think" indicate it's not a true threat. He also maintains the use of the indefinite article in "a kindergarten" shows no actual threat to harm a specific person or group. "You have to actually have to threaten somebody to be charged with the statute and be convicted and he didn't threaten anybody," said Flanary. It is likely to be several months before Justin Carter stands trial for making what he calls "a joke". The teen is free on a $500,000 bond that was paid by an anonymous donor.

By Bettie Cross

Read More at: http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/texas-teen-back-court-facebook-threat-11082.shtml

Seshmeister
08-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Ludicrous...

FORD
08-13-2013, 11:33 AM
The kid may well need a psychiatric evaluation, and possibly some time in a padded cell, but 8 - 10 in prison is completely ridiculous.

Angel
08-13-2013, 12:40 PM
The kid may well need a psychiatric evaluation, and possibly some time in a padded cell, but 8 - 10 in prison is completely ridiculous.

Agreed. And I've seen far worse and more credible threats on Facebook and other social media. Ridiculous and I hope the judge sees it that way. If the parents haven't started the psych assessment, then find him guilty and sentence him to treatment.

sadaist
08-13-2013, 12:57 PM
How many of us have ever made a joke about "going postal"? That could be considered just as valid a threat as what this kid did. What about saying this about anyone "I'll fucking kill her/him"? Fuck, I bet we say that all the time.

Why is (your kid) not home by curfew? That fucker better have a good excuse or I'll fucking kill him.

That little shit better have done his homework or I'm gonna kill her.

I swear if he fails math again I'll kill him.

I'm sure we all say shit along those lines. Looks like we're all going to prison. Hope they put all the Roth Army members in the same block.

sadaist
08-13-2013, 12:58 PM
.....and if that warden tries to serve us week old hot dogs again I swear I'll go postal & kill someone.

VetteLS5
08-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Agreed. And I've seen far worse and more credible threats on Facebook and other social media. Ridiculous and I hope the judge sees it that way. If the parents haven't started the psych assessment, then find him guilty and sentence him to treatment.

Probably, although "credible" is probably in the eye of the beholder. There's all kind of crimes that can have a max sentence of 8-10 years - what the reporter conveniently left out (likely on purpose... the story doesn't have the same glitter without it) is the minimum sentence. Could be a $500 fine and probation.

That all said, it's just another example of all the great stuff Facebook and other social media brings to the table.

Kristy
08-13-2013, 02:20 PM
How many of us have ever made a joke about "going postal"?

Going postal is no joke. Why there are those long lines, unfriendly staff who barely speak English, and don't get started on the ever-increasing price of a god damn stamp.

Dr. Love
08-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Anyone that plays league of legends can understand ... Those fuckers make me want to ... On second thought, nevermind :)

Igosplut
08-13-2013, 11:32 PM
What was really needed here was a parent (or two) that gave a fuck. I was raised by a single mother and I never would have thought of kidding about anything like this, especially if it brought anything down of her. Aint a matter of kidding, as much as being responsible for your own actions

tbone888
08-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Going postal is no joke. Why there are those long lines, unfriendly staff who barely speak English, and don't get started on the ever-increasing price of a god damn stamp.

Just another example of a "well run" failed government program.

tbone888
08-14-2013, 09:00 AM
What was really needed here was a parent (or two) that gave a fuck. I was raised by a single mother and I never would have thought of kidding about anything like this, especially if it brought anything down of her. Aint a matter of kidding, as much as being responsible for your own actions

Responsible for your own actions in America? hahahahaha We don't behave that way here anymore sir...do w/e the fuck you want, make bad decision after another...don't worry, in every case it always someone elses fault.