PDA

View Full Version : Faith in music RESTORED!!!

fraroc
08-30-2013, 02:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgurejfxYSQ

Holy shit......It still exists.....

YOU BETTER WATCH YOUR SKINNY ASS, MILEY CYRUS, CUZ ROCK AND ROLL IS STILL FUCKING ALIVE AND KICKING!

I found this band via Yahoo Answers. It seems like it always comes up whenever there is a "I hate my generation's music. Is there any hope for music?" question/rant. At first, I WAS skeptical and I thought that this band was going to be another fucking NickelSHIT/Creed/Saving Abel-esque post-grunge whiny preachy christian rock band like what dominates today's rock charts. I was absolutely FLOORED when I gave it a listen. To me, Airbourne is the love child of AC/DC, Cinderella, KISS, and Motley Crue. The singer has one HELL of a fucking rock n' roll voice that you'd swear this song was written in 1987 and not four months ago.

As much as I want this to be the mainstream, the rebel in me doesn't mind being hated for liking this band.

FORD
08-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Logo stolen from Metallica... sound stolen from Ac/Dc, but they ain't bad.

Mr. Vengeance
08-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Bought the first album. Thought they were not bad. Haven't got around to buying subsequent releases.

78/84 guy
08-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Black Stone Cherry has some good stuff also. Sounds more old school than most new stuff. Heavy blues rock.

Coyote
08-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Hey, If Lemmy approves it, it's good enough for me...

Northern Girl
08-31-2013, 10:50 PM
Logo stolen from Metallica... sound stolen from Ac/Dc

Inspired by... ;)

Kristy
08-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Gawd, that's fucking ghey. Mind-fucknumbing ghey.

twonabomber
08-31-2013, 10:56 PM
After admitting you're an Echo and the Bunnymen fan I don't think you've got much cred here.

Kristy
08-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Ouch! That so hurt. Look, if you want to speak Echo blasphemy then speak Echo blasphemy but it doesn't change the cold fact that shit is pretty fucking ghey.

Northern Girl
08-31-2013, 11:21 PM
There's a time and place for 'fun' music! Not everything has to be profound.

78/84 guy
09-01-2013, 11:27 AM
There's a time and place for 'fun' music! Not everything has to be profound.

That's when I play Rush or Yes. At least it's still musical. Krusty has zero cred musically with me. I have read some of the shit she considers music. Complete rubbish ! I'd rather listen to a C.C. DeVille guitar solo any day of the week !

Kristy
09-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Rubbish? Dude, where are you from, again?

fraroc
09-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Gawd, that's fucking ghey. Mind-fucknumbing ghey.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmoif379tH1qacjtfo1_500.jpg

Sensible Shoes
09-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Guffaw.

SilvioDante
09-02-2013, 11:56 AM
I checked these guys out on iTunes and really liked them!

This thread puts me in the mind of 3 quotes I've heard before:

The famous:"I don't know art but I know what I like"
Tom Petty's quote on people ripping him off. He said that every rock guitarist owes Chuck Berry money anyway.
And I believe it was our Fearless Leader that said all good rock and roll comes from below the neck.

Sure these guys "ripped off", "influenced by" AC/DC or whoever. From what I've read about them, they don't hide the fact that they have been heavily influenced by AC/DC, Thin Lizzy and others. Who cares!? I like it and I miss the sound. I am stuck in 1985 and I'm pretty damn proud! Slag on me all you want music is all about entertainment and they entertain me. Screw all this "rock and roll can save the world" crap. I'll leave that for Jeff Bebe, I just want to get my ass kicked for 3:30 min. with music that doesn't have Cookie Monster vocals or a computer playing all the music with a tween queen "singing??" on it. Is that to much to ask?

To really piss some people off, I like these guys also, Rival Sons. Totally unapologeticly ripping Zeppelin off, but once again, who cares? I think its pretty cool.

http://youtu.be/-MA0m1K2jW4

DLR Bridge
09-02-2013, 04:41 PM
I like these guys also, Rival Sons. Totally unapologeticly ripping Zeppelin off, but once again, who cares? I think its pretty cool.

Sounds good! Outside of the main hook being similar to the first four notes of the Out On The Tiles riff, I'd say these guys offer up a nice dose of bluesy rock that is in short supply these days. Thanks for sharing!

As for Airbourne, I've only heard Live It Up so far and does seem a bit too derivative. I'm not looking for poetry, but the cliché laden pre-chorus is a touch over the top.

envy_me
09-02-2013, 04:45 PM
I am blind and senile, I just read "Fetish in music restored" :D

DLR Bridge
09-02-2013, 05:08 PM
I just read "Fetish in music restored" :D

Ahh, a Freudian misread! :biggrin:

Kristy
09-02-2013, 11:08 PM
I checked these guys out on iTunes and really liked them!

Eh, fire that shitty bass player.

Kristy
09-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Sounds good! Outside of the main hook being similar to the first four notes of the Out On The Tiles riff...

Oh PLU-EAZE!! They are another lame Zeppy clone dog and pony show. Fucking outdated 70's riff posturing, and bland lyrics. No originality, no substance. Nothing. Empty suits for a corporate contract.

DLR Bridge
09-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Didn't say I wanted to marry them. Sheesh.

Kristy
09-02-2013, 11:27 PM
You didn't have to. Even though they are a Kirsten Dunst type of band

VAiN
09-02-2013, 11:36 PM
ZZZzzz...

Romeo Delight
09-02-2013, 11:40 PM
If I was somewhere and they were playing live... would pay $10 cover and have a few pints. Probably woudln't buy the album or anything.

Kristy
09-02-2013, 11:41 PM
You certainly can't get high to that shit.

VAiN
09-02-2013, 11:42 PM
I can get high to just about anything.

Kristy
09-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Ah yeah, we cant be friends.

VAiN
09-03-2013, 01:22 AM
We can work through it

BITEYOASS
09-03-2013, 02:03 AM
My faith in music will be restored once they stop playing the same fuckin' songs on a daily basis whenever I listen to a local rock radio station, and once they fire that tool of a programming director from 95.1 FM "The Fox" in Montgomery, AL.

fraroc
09-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Oh PLU-EAZE!! They are another lame Zeppy clone dog and pony show. Fucking outdated 70's riff posturing, and bland lyrics. No originality, no substance. Nothing. Empty suits for a corporate contract.

It's become a moot point, but you really are a big F A T fucking cunt who knows nothing about good rock n' roll.

SilvioDante
09-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Oh PLU-EAZE!! They are another lame Zeppy clone dog and pony show. Fucking outdated 70's riff posturing, and bland lyrics. No originality, no substance. Nothing..

Exactly! That's why I like it. I don't believe in this musically snobbery of "it must be original and full of meaning or its crap" stuff. If so, I think we need to completely destroy Paul McCartney for his lack of originality because he ripped off both Chuck Berry and Little Richard early in his career. IF I want "substance" I'll watch a PBS documentary on Leonard Cohen or something (which I never will).

If I like it, I like it. " Music, you now, true music - not just rock n roll - it chooses you." Can't help it. Won't apologize for it.

Kristy
09-03-2013, 11:20 AM
It's become a moot point, but you really are a big F A T fucking cunt who knows nothing about good rock n' roll.

I know more than you, Mr. Styx pansy-ass loser.

Kristy
09-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Exactly! That's why I like it. I don't believe in this musically snobbery of "it must be original and full of meaning or its crap" stuff. If so, I think we need to completely destroy Paul McCartney for his lack of originality because he ripped off both Chuck Berry and Little Richard early in his career. IF I want "substance" I'll watch a PBS documentary on Leonard Cohen or something (which I never will).

If I like it, I like it. " Music, you now, true music - not just rock n roll - it chooses you." Can't help it. Won't apologize for it.

Actually, McCartney & Co. ripped off Buddy Holly. But...what is here to like? Originality is one thing but recycling used bin riffs is quite another. Even with their slick production, this guys sound the same as every other two-bit band that you'd see in any given dive bar on any Saturday night. Look at them posturing for a major corporate label contract where, if lucky, they will become tools for a failing industry. Who knows, they might sell a record or two.

FORD
09-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Truth is, I think John Lennon was really the one who was more influenced by Buddy Holly (he even had the glasses). Paul was definitely more influenced by Little Richard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5FJ-yNzQxs

FORD
09-03-2013, 11:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiXtk296YmE

Kristy
09-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I disagree.

Kristy
09-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Check it out. I bought this last Saturday at a garage sale for $4 (yeah, I know I was ripped off). I'm hoping it'll send my blood pressure over the edge.

http://www.guitaraficionado.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/page-book.jpg

It's a poorly, poorly written book done by a failed musician now turned "rock journalist" hack who, as far I can tell judging from the first few chapters, just wants to suck Jimmy's dick.

DLR Bridge
09-03-2013, 12:17 PM
So, after all of your hemming and hawing, you're willing to spend 4 of your hard earned weed stash dollars on something pertaining to someone you despise? What's up with that?

SilvioDante
09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Truth is, I think John Lennon was really the one who was more influenced by Buddy Holly (he even had the glasses). Paul was definitely more influenced by Little Richard.

Thank you FORD. I may not be as enlightened in my musical perspectives and some on this board and Lord knows I'm wrong ALOT, but I grew up in a house with the Beatles playing nearly 24/7 and I am hardly every wrong about the Beatles.

Kristy
09-03-2013, 12:41 PM
So, after all of your hemming and hawing, you're willing to spend 4 of your hard earned weed stash dollars on something pertaining to someone you despise? What's up with that?

Know thy enemy. Read Sun Tzu sometime.

“To know your enemy, you must become your enemy.”

DLR Bridge
09-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Know thy enemy. Read Sun Tzu sometime.

“To know your enemy, you must become your enemy.”

Your nuts. Page isn't your enemy. He just a human you don't like. I'll be God damned if I'm going to read up on Jon Bon Jovi. Me no likey? Me no listen. Simplezzat.

Kristy
09-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Bon Jovi is an asshole. Not the enemy. Jimmy Page is most definitely the enemy.

FORD
09-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Now look what you did Kristy.....

Mention Sun Tzu and we get invaded by the Chinese spambot army.......

Kristy
09-03-2013, 01:36 PM
At least it is a punctuational correct spambot.

binnie
09-10-2013, 06:43 AM
OK, here's a list of modern hard rock bands that people who think this sort of music need to hear:

Airbourne (first record - 'Running Wild' - is the best)
The Answer (first two records)
Rival Sons
Graveyard
Torche
Nighthorse
The Parlor Mob (think a looser Black Crowes)
The Virgin Marys
Million Dollar Reload (patchy, but persevere with their debut)
The Black Spiders
Hurricane Party
The Jim Jones Revue (nitro-charged '50s rock 'n' roll)
The Stonewall Noise Orchestra
Saint Jude (beautiful voice)
Royal Thunder (a band that could have easily traded punches with the best bands in the '70s)

I could go on.........

Oh, and I should also point out that liking both Echo & The Bunnymen and Airbourne is possible....

Droomer5150
09-10-2013, 08:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THWp_oEdkes
Haha, here's a live video of my band if anyone wants to check it out! We're all under 20. We're not carbon copies of any band cause we like to be original but... we are influenced by the greatest bands ever :D including VH, Rush, Megadeth, Toto, Metallica, AC/DC, Zeppelin, The Who, Muse, KISS, The Police, Def Leppard, Dream Theater etc. Also been getting into Steel Panther lately, I'm sure everyone here knows who they are. Freaking hilarious! but the music is actually killer as well!

Kristy
09-10-2013, 09:02 AM
OK, here's a list of modern hard rock bands that people who think this sort of music need to hear:

Kirsten Dunst.

Kristy
09-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Toto

You suffering from a concussion?

binnie
09-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Kirsten Dunst.

Fair point.

My post should have read: 'who think this type of music is dead need to hear'.

chefcraig
09-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Anyone ever heard the Crash Kings? They are a progressive three piece out of (surprise) LA, using only bass, drums and keys. The bass is cranked to distorto levels, the drums sound like John Bonham and the keys replace the normal guitar lines.

No, it's nothing new, as Lee Michaels formed a drum/Hammond organ duo in the late sixties, and of course Billy Joel ripped off the idea for Attila (widely regarded as the worst album ever made) a few years later. So it's a bit of a novelty band, but at least these guys are making the effort.

Droomer5150
09-10-2013, 12:19 PM
You suffering from a concussion?

Haha Toto FREAKING RULE! Have you heard their 2013 lineup? They're literally like the best musicians out there and the tightest live act of today, but hey all personal taste I guess.

Kristy
09-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Doesn't matter what year. It's fucking TOTO!

Hardrock69
09-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Silvio, Rival Sons played at the Download Festival 2011 I believe. I have a DVD of the highlights....I think Priest was the headliner.....I had never heard them at all, and they just came out and owned the crowd.

As for the Airbourne tune (the first one above), I have a song with that same riff....who doesn't? Any self-respecting rock guitarist should have at least one 4 on the floor steam-roller AC/DC-type song.

They are the greatest steam-roller band alive. They are relentless in concert.

SilvioDante
09-11-2013, 05:58 AM
HR, my friend is the guy that got me into Rival Sons. He saw them in concert and said they were great.

Airbourne, I must agree to an extent with some on this board, will wear thin I'm sure after 3 or 4 albums. But for now, I'm digging it.

I am old now, but sometimes I just want to turn it up, not think and just rock. These 2 seem to fit the bill.