PDA

View Full Version : Senna Movie

Seshmeister
09-25-2013, 10:48 AM
I nearly put this in the Sport forum but actually you don't need to have an interest in racing to enjoy this brilliant moving documentary.

The very best documentaries should not only inform and entertain viewers with a working knowledge of their areas of scrutiny but also engage the interest and emotions of those who know little (and perhaps care even less) about the subjects. Recent homegrown examples include Julien Temple's brilliant Oil City Confidential, which proved a satisfying and thoroughly cinematic experience for non-aficionados of Dr Feelgood's brand of "Thames Delta blues"; and TT3D, which found in Guy Martin a voluble mouthpiece for the madness of the Isle of Man motorbike races that almost every year claim lives.

Equally remarkable is the emotional conjuring trick performed by director Asif Kapadia with Senna (2010, Universal, 12), which delves into the world of Formula One racing, arguably the most elitist, non-inclusive sport in the world. In a crucial and telling moment, the film's eponymous enigma reveals a longing for the pure sportsmanship of his early go-kart races, before money and politics became the driving forces with which he had to contend.

The triumph of Kapadia (ably aided by writer Manish Pandey and editors Chris King and Gregers Sall) is to draw the focus away from the businessy hubbub of F1 and concentrate instead on the chalk-and-cheese dynamic between two characters whose rivalry provides the real heart of the piece.

Investigating the long-standing friction between Ayrton Senna and one-time team-mate Alain Prost, the documentary charts a path that sees differing worldviews colliding head on, often right there on the race track. In this admittedly selective portrait, Prost is cast as the well-oiled machine, a numbers man who understands the statistics of victory and prevails more through doggedness than daring. By contrast, Senna is a wild card: the passionate, hot-blooded Brazilian who loves his country and his countrymen (for which they love him back) and will risk life and limb once he has picked up the smell of the chase. In a sport in which the technology and cost of the car are increasingly the defining factors, Senna seems to offer a much needed human touch.

Eschewing formulaic talking heads, Kapadia draws on a wealth of home-movie footage, media reportage and TV race coverage, painting Senna as a national hero who wasn't afraid to go his own way. Although it's hard to imagine anyone having avoided news coverage of the fallout from Senna's final race, let me just say that this electrifying documentary is as dramatic, suspenseful and tragic as any feature film I have seen this year and I encourage those with zero affinity for fast cars to seek it out forthwith."

-Mark Kermode Guardian

binnie
09-25-2013, 03:31 PM
It's a brilliant watch.

He was clearly a very interesting man, alongside being a superb talent. Not sure I buy into the 'Greatest' tag, but he certainly has flashes of sheer genius.

jacksmar
09-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Senna was certainly a very good driver. My impression of him is that he was made from the same mold as AJ Foyt. Senna’s way or the highway. He proved that with Prost.

His death was so terrible. I remember Dale Earnhardt saying how he was going to be missed and NASCAR fans all sounded a collective: Duh, who?

Senna had a German flag under his seat to commemorate Roland Ratzenberger who died that same weekend at Imola. Ratzenberger’s crash bankrupted Team Simtek and scared Senna.

My favorite memory of Senna was his test at Firebird in Emmo’s Penske Indycar. Paul Tracy, Danny Sullivan, Emerson Fittipadli, Rick Mears, and so many others were there to watch. He adapted so quickly we couldn’t believe our stop watches. Paul Tracy thought he was out of a job. Emmo was great with Senna. They spoke Portuguese and had their own inside jokes.

Senna died too damn young. It still bothers me around May.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xNBHM7zjQW8/StI_TzpdkcI/AAAAAAAAAgU/jTGrkYeEqRs/s400/1992-Senna-Penske-Firebird-Test-2.jpg

jacksmar
09-26-2013, 01:53 PM
I should add both Piquet and Senna are triple world champions from Brazil, but Senna is highly regarded over Piquet.

Piquet tried Indy in 1992 and encouraged Senna to do the same. Senna declined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjTfk29nME

Indy 1992 was brutal.

( 228 mph in 1992. That's what he said.)

jacksmar
09-27-2013, 10:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq6mVAXegyw

There was a great shot in the credits on the pit wall with the top of the field: Piquet, Prost, Mansell, and Senna.

jacksmar
10-04-2013, 02:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFZKkK6odgY

Why wasn't this in the movie?

binnie
10-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Maybe they were trying to avoid controversy - maybe they were just frightened of Nigel Mansell's moustache.....

jacksmar
10-04-2013, 04:22 PM
I have a lot of "Brit" friends. They call Nige Mr Personality.

Mansell wanted to race Senna in the U.S. at Indy. Jim McGhee and Newman/Haas wanted to race Senna.

Now IndyCar is a joke. Spec racing with fenders.

20 years has been a long time looking back. For me, I know racing was better then.

Thanks bin.

Seshmeister
10-04-2013, 04:45 PM
I have a lot of "Brit" friends. They call Nige Mr Personality.

Sarcastically.

Mansell was famously incredibly dull in interviews.

jacksmar
10-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Nige had a time share here in Clearwater for a while. Mario Andretti had one too and I never could catch up with those guys.

Can you imagine the stories these guys could tell?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiG7vNlmp5c

Seshmeister
10-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Mansell could make any story dull... :)