PDA

View Full Version : Best CD-R media?

TwoFoolsAMinute
06-29-2004, 12:06 AM
I've been told that Mitsui is the best.

Taiyo Yuden is the next best, and is available under other brands. Basically, if it says Made In Japan it is Taiyo Yuden.

However, I have heard lately that some companies, Fuji for example, are now selling TY's that were made in Taiwan. Does anyone know if TY makes CD-R's in Taiwan, and if so what brands are TY?

I have some Sony's that were made in Taiwan that have the bluish tint to the dye that looks identical to my TY's.

Just wondering if anyone has info, or other suggestions, or what CD-R media everyone reccomends for burning this stuff.

Cato
06-29-2004, 03:03 AM
the only fact I know is...Memorex Sux.

Devil Incarnate
06-30-2004, 11:30 AM
In my area, they don't really carry much other than the big-name brands and the usual host of no-name generics one would normally see. I was always told to stay away from pretty much anything that indicated it was made in Taiwan and to stick with stuff from Japan - at least among the name brand stuff you see at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

That said, the two I've always had the best results with have been Fuji and Maxell. By far the worst have been Harmony Media Gold, which will not even play in most car stereos.

I'd love to know what else there is to use out there, without spending too much more than what I usually do.

Lou
06-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Japanese Fujis are getting very difficult to find. Circuit City around me doesn't carry Fuji's period, and Best Buy seems to be carrying less and less of the Japanese ones and more of the Taiwanese.

TwoFoolsAMinute
06-30-2004, 11:48 PM
According to a post I read, someone put in a call to customer service at fuji, to complain about them using a Taiwan manufacturer, and were told that the Taiwan made disks are made by the same company (Taiyo Yuden) and to the same specifications as the made in Japan disks. So, it is possible that they are the same thing if this is true. The only Taiwan made Fuji's I find, are in the 100 disk spindles. The 50 and 30 packs are still made in Japan, and I know those are Taiyo Yuden. The question is, is Taiyo Yuden making CD-R's in Taiwan now. When we learn this answer, mystery solved.

twonabomber
07-03-2004, 11:58 PM
i've never had a problem with Imations.

Rebel
07-04-2004, 01:08 AM
Needless to say guys I buy a shitload of cdrs.

I've been rolling with Sony from Japan lately, best I've been able to find lately. Whoever posted that about the Taiwan discs being made to the same specs as Yuden of Japan, if that's true, those haven't made it here yet, I can tell you that for sure. The dye isn't even the same.

Rebel
07-04-2004, 01:09 AM
Also, I would agree that Mitsuis are the best. I just don't wanna pay for them, or wait to have them shipped. I always have to go to the store when I run out.