PDA

View Full Version : Eureka! Tea partiers know science

baru911
10-18-2013, 02:53 PM
The reporting on the findings by the professor and his bent slant on the Tea Party is a riot. A "man of science" went out to prove something one way and got a totally different answer. What a freakin' looser.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/tea-party-science-98488.html#ixzz2i0vKL5Vy

A finding in a study on the relationship between science literacy and political ideology surprised the Yale professor behind it: Tea party members know more science than non-tea partiers.

Yale law professor Dan Kahan posted on his blog this week that he analyzed the responses of more than 2,000 American adults recruited for another study and found that, on average, people who leaned liberal were more science literate than those who leaned conservative.

However, those who identified as part of the tea party movement were actually better versed in science than those who didn’t, Kahan found. The findings met the conventional threshold of statistical significance, the professor said.

Kahan wrote that not only did the findings surprise him, they embarrassed him.

“I’ve got to confess, though, I found this result surprising. As I pushed the button to run the analysis on my computer, I fully expected I’d be shown a modest negative correlation between identifying with the Tea Party and science comprehension,” Kahan wrote.

“But then again, I don’t know a single person who identifies with the tea party,” he continued. “All my impressions come from watching cable tv — & I don’t watch Fox News very often — and reading the ‘paper’ (New York Times daily, plus a variety of politics-focused Internet sites like Huffington Post and POLITICO). I’m a little embarrassed, but mainly, I’m just glad that I no longer hold this particular mistaken view.”

While Kahan cautioned against thinking the results can be used to explain deep ideological fights over climate change and other politically relevant science, and he said the results wouldn’t change his negative views of the tea party, he did say he will no longer make assumptions about the level of knowledge on his opponents’ side.

Guess, the racist Ford/Satan just couldn't get around to throwing this up for discussion. Alas, it just proves how narrow minded racist are even when confronted with those dang annoying facts.

Satan
10-18-2013, 02:59 PM
I am neither FORD nor a racist, and I fail to see what such ridiculous false accusations have to do with the right wing POLITICO making a ridiculous case for a false political movement, funded by known Climate Change deniers, as being "pro-science".

SunisinuS
10-18-2013, 03:18 PM
So many ways to interpret this since we do not know the methodology. For instance: An Average Jane who does not attend church regularly has not heard the Creationist Vs. Evolution church sermon 16 times a year, so I would expect a Tea Partier to know the term Alluvial Fan (in support of Noah) than Jane there, as Flood Geology is mightily discussed in Church.

So they would know more "science terms" (and reject their origin) than perhaps the average G.E.D person.