PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Bans Gas Vehicles, Adopts Electric by 2050

Satan
10-27-2013, 12:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca68-pR95H8

Never was
10-27-2013, 06:59 PM
What will we do without all those great Scottish cars?

Seshmeister
10-28-2013, 09:22 PM
2050?

Why not just say we are moving to Jetson hovercars by then? :)

FORD
10-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Did the Jetsons ever say what powered their cars?

Some sort of Spacely Sprocket powered engine, I would imagine. But what was the power source?

Seshmeister
10-28-2013, 09:46 PM
I can't remember but the laws of physics would mean that flying cars are going to need a fuck of a lot more energy than those on the ground. :)

As I was saying I would take this story with a pinch of salt in that it's fairly easy for a politician to make promises about deadlines that they won't miss until they are in their 80s.

Nitro Express
10-31-2013, 05:27 AM
Electric cars are fun to drive. Lot's of torque and the ones with a big motor are fast. They still have the same problem of short range even when batteries have improved. I can see them being used for commuter cars that don't have to go over 200 miles a day. I see problems in cold climates. How do you heat the passenger compartment without putting a huge load on the battery pack? Also, batteries lose their efficiency when they are cold. I just don't see electric vehicles driving around Jackson Hole in January in the snow when it's minus 20 fahrenheit.

Even if some clean source of power becomes the norm people are going to drive internal combustion powered vehicles for nostalgia. Much like how people ride horses. Yesterday some guy taking his muscle car out for a ride before winter sets in hit the gas going down the road and hearing that big V8 open up was music to my ears. Nothing like goosing the throttle on a big twin motorcycle and hearing it rev. Naw. People aren't going to give that thrill up. So outlawing them is unrealistic and stupid.

People will use electric vehicles or whatever when they become cost efficient and practical. Until then they will drive the burn bangers.