PDA

View Full Version : Jon Bon Jovi interested in purchasing the Buffalo Bills

Nickdfresh
11-24-2013, 07:21 PM
November 24, 2013 9:12 am ET

For more news and notes from Jason La Canfora, tune into The NFL Today Sunday at noon ET on CBS.

Rock star Jon Bon Jovi is consumed with purchasing an NFL team, according to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation, and is among the parties positioning to purchase the Buffalo Bills when the team comes up for sale.

The Bills will go to the market when owner Ralph Wilson passes, and, while many league sources believe the Rogers Communications group in Toronto, who already work closely with the Wilson family to stage games annually in Toronto, is the prime suitor for the franchise, sources said Bon Jovi has spent considerable time in the area getting to know politicians and power brokers and even added a date there late in a recent tour to allow for more time to allocate to the matter.

Bon Jovi has been very proactive in meeting NFL owners and general managers, and is seeking their input on all sort of issues related to football. In the past he has nearly become a minority owner of a team, most notably the Falcons. However, sources said Bon Jovi is aiming to be the principal owner -- it remains to be seen if he has the type of immense capital necessary to meet that threshold of ownership -- and has aligned himself with several powerbrokers in his effort to turn his dream into reality. (Bon Jovi has a close friendship with Patriots coach Bill Belichick and it is not uncommon for him to jump on a private plane and head to various meetings with NFL bigwigs across the country, sources said, in his pursuit).

According to several sources in the music industry, Bon Jovi's dismissal of longtime guitarist Richie Sambora is likely even related to his pursuit of a franchise, as Sambora was the highest-paid member of his band and the next most prominent member, and by using session musicians or unknowns, he is then able to keep his costs down. Bon Jovi is a shrewd businessman who has kept much of his operation in-house and has long been the central figure in making deals for the band.

He is obviously incredibly wealthy and is held in high regard by NFL owners and within the league office, but it is very difficult to end up as the primary owner of a franchise and they do not change hands all that often. The recent passing of Titans owner Bud Adams has put a finer focus on the age and relative health of some owners, and while Adams' family has plans in palace to retain the franchise into the foreseeable future, that is not the case with the Bills.

Rocker Jon Bon Jovi was a founder and primary owner of an Arena Football League team.(USATSI) Rocker Jon Bon Jovi was a founder and primary owner of an Arena Football League team. (USATSI)

The NFL has a vested interest in keeping the Bills a regional team, for Western New York and Southern Ontario, and in most any scenario the team will continue sharing games to some degree with Toronto. And if Rogers Communications were to get the team and get a Super Bowl-quality stadium built in Canada, then undoubtedly the number of games played in Toronto would increase over time.

Furthermore, Tim Leiweke, a former honcho at AEG (whose plans to bring a team to Los Angeles have hit several snags) is now president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs and a massive player in the sports and entertainment landscape of the region. And sources said Bon Jovi has major ties to Leiweke and his daughter and that perhaps they could eventually align in pursuit of the Bills, with Bon Jovi the public face of the franchise (a la rapper Jay Z, and the sports agency he in essence fronts). It's worth noting that Bon Jovi, a Jersey native, got a banner at MLSE's Air Canada Centre.

Whether any group would have the connections and wherewithal to compete with Rogers Communications remains to be seen, but Bon Jovi's interest and desire should not be underestimated, sources said. However, Rogers is an international media conglomerate worth billions that already owns a nationwide sports media network in Canada and has a stadium in place in downtown Toronto. Topping their bid could be quite difficult, but those who know Bon Jovi say they don't doubt his desire to do so, and should he not land the Bills will continue a quest to own an NFL team one way or another.

Regardless of the exact nature of the ownership transaction, league sources do not see the Bills ending in L.A. anytime soon, even with some Hollywood connections, given the geography and allure of Toronto. The Bills could end up in a special trust for a period of time following Wilson's death, as well, but whether it's within a year of his passing or five years after, the team will be going to sale.

&action_type_map=[%22og.likes%22]&action_ref_map=[]]CBS SPORTS (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24275196/jon-bon-jovi-interested-in-purchasing-the-buffalo-bills?fb_action_ids=10202662135103481&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=[569665719771506)

fraroc
11-24-2013, 07:25 PM
He beat Gene Simmons to it.....

Nitro Express
11-24-2013, 07:55 PM
The motherfucker will probably move them to New Jersey. I love how they make it sound like Buffalo is a suburb of Toronto. At least Buffalo doesn't have a crazy ass mayor who says he has plenty of pussy to eat at home.

Nickdfresh
11-24-2013, 08:02 PM
I don't think that his intention as there are already TWO New Jersey teams: The Jets and the Giants. :D

There is a fear here that the game in Toronto the Bills play will result in a gradual shift of ALL games being played in Toronto. It's stupid and Toronto should just start their own team, there's enough of a regional base here for two teams in Western New York and Southern Ontario...

DLR Bridge
11-24-2013, 09:37 PM
What would have been a great story is if the rest of his band told him to fuck off upon replacing Richie. They're all rich enough, so they should have. My wife and her friends are Bon Jovi fans. They saw him back in July, but got tickets about 6 months earlier, before the replacement. They were totally disappointed with the show. Said they'll never see him again. I'm sure a good chunk of his fan base is turned off by his poor decision. I don't much care for Richie, but I heard his most recent solo release was better than the last plate o' shit he served up with Jon.

Sensible Shoes
11-24-2013, 09:45 PM
there's enough of a regional base here for two teams in Western New York and Southern Ontario...

Do you really think that's true? I'm not sure with the hockey-centric culture up there.

twonabomber
11-24-2013, 10:12 PM
I dunno...when I came back from TO after the first '07 VH show I got stuck in a crowd of football fans at the border. The duty free was mobbed, it looked like the beer companies announced they were stopping production. Fighting in the store and in the parking lot over Budweiser, of all brands...it was a zoo!

Probably the longest it took me to get through the border.

Nickdfresh
11-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Do you really think that's true? I'm not sure with the hockey-centric culture up there.

Yeah, they're typically selling out a team that has won nothing and hasn't made the playoffs over over a decade. I think the last home game was close and owner Ralph Wilson ended up buying up some tickets, but he's still making quite a bit of money as he owns everything. Not counting the Toronto game, the Bills will probably still sell out every single home game since they have only one left against Miami...

Nitro Express
11-24-2013, 11:06 PM
What's dumb is when they move a sports team from the originating town to another town but they don't change the name when the new location doesn't match the name. The Lakers originally came from Minnesota where there are 10,000 lakes. The Jazz came from New Orleans. Jazz didn't come from Utah. There aren't 10,000 lakes in LA. The Buffalo Bills is a clever name based on the fame of William Cody AKA Buffalo Bill. It fits in with the city name and has a nice ring to it but William Cody was from Iowa and had his ranch in Wyoming. He isn't tied to Buffalo in any way other than probably doing a wild west show there. The thing is if they move up to Toronto it's a famous American name. It certainly has nothing to do with Canada.

If Buffalo is going to be a suburb of Toronto then just get rid of the customs inspection and the border. It's got to be the only city and suburb you now need a passport to go between.

cadaverdog
11-25-2013, 04:39 AM
What's dumb is when they move a sports team from the originating town to another town but they don't change the name when the new location doesn't match the name. The Lakers originally came from Minnesota where there are 10,000 lakes. The Jazz came from New Orleans. Jazz didn't come from Utah. There aren't 10,000 lakes in LA. The Buffalo Bills is a clever name based on the fame of William Cody AKA Buffalo Bill. It fits in with the city name and has a nice ring to it but William Cody was from Iowa and had his ranch in Wyoming. He isn't tied to Buffalo in any way other than probably doing a wild west show there. The thing is if they move up to Toronto it's a famous American name. It certainly has nothing to do with Canada.

If Buffalo is going to be a suburb of Toronto then just get rid of the customs inspection and the border. It's got to be the only city and suburb you now need a passport to go between.
Tijauna's a suburb of San Diego. Thousands come across the border to work here and go back to Mexico at night.

BITEYOASS
11-25-2013, 06:37 AM
It's stupid and Toronto should just start their own team, there's enough of a regional base here for two teams in Western New York and Southern Ontario...

They already have their own football team in the CFL known as the Toronto Argonauts.

CVH Rulz
11-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Updated Nov 25, 2013 12:17 PM ET

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP)

Jon Bon Jovi's publicist tells The Associated Press that while the New Jersey rocker is interested in becoming an NFL owner one day, he's not currently pursuing the Buffalo Bills.

Ken Sunshine calls a report that Bon Jovi is actively involved in purchasing the Bills ''preposterous.'' Sunshine notes the Bills are not for sale and adds that Bon Jovi has too much respect for owner Ralph Wilson to consider engaging in discussions for buying the team.

Sunshine spoke by phone Monday, a day after CBSSports.com posted a story citing unidentified sources that Bon Jovi is among the parties positioning themselves to purchase the Bills after Wilson's death. The 95-year-old Wilson has maintained he has no interest in selling the franchise during his lifetime.

fryingdutchman
11-26-2013, 11:06 AM
I guess he thinks his stint in the Arena League with the Philadelphia Soul was enough to prep him for the big time.

Fuck..I live in Philly and don't have a clue (nor do I care to) about the status of the Soul these days.

Terry
11-26-2013, 11:40 AM
What would have been a great story is if the rest of his band told him to fuck off upon replacing Richie. They're all rich enough, so they should have. My wife and her friends are Bon Jovi fans. They saw him back in July, but got tickets about 6 months earlier, before the replacement. They were totally disappointed with the show. Said they'll never see him again. I'm sure a good chunk of his fan base is turned off by his poor decision. I don't much care for Richie, but I heard his most recent solo release was better than the last plate o' shit he served up with Jon.

Meh. Bon Jovi's material is mediocre regardless of who is in his band at any given time.

Von Halen
11-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Shame on Buffalo for allowing itself to become Toronto's bitch!

The Bills will fit right in with the rest of the loser sports franchises in that shithole Toronto!

We just had to back out of a hockey tournament in Buffalo because the PUSSY Canadians demanded they change it to a NO CHECKING tournament! Those fags are pussifying their own sport!

vandeleur
11-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Never thought of Bon jovi as a band , pretty much in the same way the company I work for isn't one . They are just employed by jbj plc .

DLR Bridge
11-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Meh. Bon Jovi's material is mediocre regardless of who is in his band at any given time.

Indeed, but as much as I can't stand him/them, this is another case of fucking up what the fans want to see and hear, like some other band we know.

Simple rule. Give the people what they want! Hell, the Kinks even gave an album that title.

CVH Rulz
11-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Richie Sambora

I WILL Return to Bon Jovi

11/24/2013 1:23 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Richie Sambora's hasty departure from Bon Jovi was only temporary ... so claims the guitar player himself, who tells us his shredding days with the band are hardly over.

The 54-year old rock legend was blowing out of L.A.X. when we asked about his rift with the band ... and Sambora told us to keep the faith.

We broke the story ... Sambora pulled out of Bon Jovi's current world tour for "personal issues" -- Richie sources say it was a fight over money, but others in the band claim Richie was hitting the bottle again.

Nickdfresh
11-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Updated Nov 25, 2013 12:17 PM ET

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP)

Jon Bon Jovi's publicist tells The Associated Press that while the New Jersey rocker is interested in becoming an NFL owner one day, he's not currently pursuing the Buffalo Bills.

Ken Sunshine calls a report that Bon Jovi is actively involved in purchasing the Bills ''preposterous.'' Sunshine notes the Bills are not for sale and adds that Bon Jovi has too much respect for owner Ralph Wilson to consider engaging in discussions for buying the team.

Sunshine spoke by phone Monday, a day after CBSSports.com posted a story citing unidentified sources that Bon Jovi is among the parties positioning themselves to purchase the Bills after Wilson's death. The 95-year-old Wilson has maintained he has no interest in selling the franchise during his lifetime.

The speculation here is that he backtracked because he's talking about the owner dying and doesn't want to piss off the family, but that he's indeed a suitor to be part of a group that buys the team...

Terry
11-27-2013, 10:03 PM
The Bills are a shitty team, anyway.

Does it really matter who owns what percentage of a turd?

Obviously there is plenty of money to be made even with a NFL team that has a losing record, but how much money can Bon Jovi really need vs. associating his name with the Buffalo Bills?

Whatever.

twonabomber
11-28-2013, 12:45 AM
Obviously there is plenty of money to be made even with a NFL team that has a losing record

The Browns are proof of that. Been shitty since their return to the league and it's still like a license to print money. And they just got money out of the city to pay for "fan-centric" improvements to the stadium like new scoreboards and faster escalators.

baru911
11-28-2013, 09:21 AM
The NFL is looking to go international. That is why the games are being played in London and 3 are scheduled to be played there in 2014. Placing a team in Canada would appear to fit right into what they are trying to do. Also, do you think you would get a bigger TV deal if the team was in Toronto or in Buffalo? TV is where the money is for the NFL and the franchise.

Very nice website for the game in 3 days - http://www.billsintoronto.com/
The game in 3 days isn’t a sell-out as of this time. It is a dome though - looks like a nice modern stadium.

Zing!
11-28-2013, 09:28 AM
and faster escalators.

So fans can leave the stadium faster after the latest embarrassment?

twonabomber
11-28-2013, 09:52 AM
So fans can leave the stadium faster after the latest embarrassment?

You'd think, but it's likely so they can get to their seats faster and tailgate right up until game time.

Phil Buttixx
01-04-2014, 12:01 PM
What Roger's wants, Roger's gets.

guwapo_rocker
01-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Shame on Buffalo for allowing itself to become Toronto's bitch!

Still pissed you're not allowed in Canada huh? It's understandable, I would be too.

Does Detroit still exist?

Von Halen
01-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Still pissed you're not allowed in Canada huh? It's understandable, I would be too.

Does Detroit still exist?

I'm allowed in Canada you bastard!

Seshmeister
01-05-2014, 12:36 AM
It always makes me laugh when people talk about Bon Jovi selling out.

To do that you need to sell in to start with - Jon seems to be an odd little man driven by fame more than anything else. Lisa Lampanelli (who to be fair is not without her faults) said he was the dumbest man she interviewed during her 10 years at Rolling Stone - you have to think that was a pretty high bar. :)

I'm saying this as someone who like many people who post here feels ashamed at their horrific drunken attempts at singing 'Living on a Prayer' in clubs in the late 80s and would never admit it now... :)

Nickdfresh
01-05-2014, 12:38 PM
What Roger's wants, Roger's gets.

If they want the Bills or some other team, they need to build a new stadium. The Roger's Centre sucks asshole for football games and is a souless, desolate yuppie dicklick land with no tailgating allowed! A nice area just outside Toronto would be the spot.

The Bills President Russ Brandon recently hinted he might be for ending the Toronto series because it's just another away game with few actual Bill's fans there and a bunch of luxury box jerkoffs swilling martinis and caviar with nothing better to do on Sundays...

Nickdfresh
01-05-2014, 12:42 PM

To do that you need to sell in to start with - Jon seems to be an odd little man driven by fame more than anything else. Lisa Lampanelli (who to be fair is not without her faults) said he was the dumbest man she interviewed during her 10 years at Rolling Stone - you have to think that was a pretty high bar. :)

I'm saying this as someone who like many people who post here feels ashamed at their horrific drunken attempts at singing 'Living on a Prayer' in clubs in the late 80s and would never admit it now... :)

It's funny, but I'm the last guy to find Bon Jovi rather likeable, but I do. He's such an unpretentious sellout it's hard to not appreciate his overall honesty. BTW, I AM NOT A FAN of the music at all and never could stand Bon Jovi songs. But I do think he's a hard working guy and is far more genuine than say the likes of Sammy Hagar and I respect that.

That being said, I'd rather listen to a blender on high for 24 hours than a 45 minute Bon Jovi album...

guwapo_rocker
01-05-2014, 12:56 PM
The problem with the Bill's in Toronto series is that the organizers assumed everyone in Toronto

would support the Bill's. Truth is, we have been watching NFL football up here for decades and we all

have different allegiances. I grew up a Cowboy's fan (shut up I know), my friends all support different teams

of their own. So it doesn't matter who the Bill's play here, the crowd is going to be split.

It's true about the place being half full of corporate asshats as well, and that doesn't help. If Toronto had it's

own team the atmosphere would be different imo.

I have no problem with the Rogers Centre for football though, it's great when you get a good crowd in there.

Sucks for concerts though. As for tailgating, that won't happen anywhere in the city, at least in the sense you would be used to

because of our extremely strict liquor laws.

Nickdfresh
01-05-2014, 01:01 PM
I didn't know about the liquor laws, I thought it was mostly a space and parking issue with no open lots like around most stadiums usually located in a suburban rallying point in America. Technically, they've clamped down on liquor here too: but in a relative sense, Erie County (Buffalo area) is very permissive for booze and the bars can be open until 4am.

I heard one of the big criticisms of the players in the turf is horrible there...

guwapo_rocker
01-05-2014, 01:14 PM
I didn't know about the liquor laws, I thought it was mostly a space and parking issue with no open lots like around most stadiums usually located in a suburban rallying point in America. Technically, they've clamped down on liquor here too: but in a relative sense, Erie County (Buffalo area) is very permissive for booze and the bars can be open until 4am.

I heard one of the big criticisms of the players in the turf is horrible there...

The turf was upgraded a while ago, but I think they need to switch to grass.

Rogers picked up the dome for pennies and they have been making upgrades yearly.

I like the location, it is convenient for everyone as it is attached to Union Station.

I hate paying 12 bucks for a beer though.

Even with a massive parking lot drinking would not be allowed.

Guitar Shark
01-05-2014, 01:47 PM
It's funny, but I'm the last guy to find Bon Jovi rather likeable, but I do. He's such an unpretentious sellout it's hard to not appreciate his overall honesty. BTW, I AM NOT A FAN of the music at all and never could stand Bon Jovi songs. But I do think he's a hard working guy and is far more genuine than say the likes of Sammy Hagar and I respect that.

That being said, I'd rather listen to a blender on high for 24 hours than a 45 minute Bon Jovi album...

I like a few Bon Jovi songs. There, I said it.

Nickdfresh
01-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Fag. ;) :D

Von Halen
01-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Even with a massive parking lot drinking would not be allowed.

I thought you Canadians were known for your drinking?

guwapo_rocker
01-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Yeah, but not in parking lots.

guwapo_rocker
01-05-2014, 02:55 PM
The fewer cars involved the better.

Terry
01-05-2014, 03:01 PM

Well, that's just it, really: Bon Jovi had no credibility to begin with. Even in the context of the 1980s hard rock scene. His music was manufactured to sell records to teenaged chicks. To be fair, probably every other band signed to a major label has that same aim. Bon Jovi's music is just a little more blatant in being designed to do so. Maybe he actually believes the songs he manufactures are more than fluff. Maybe he actually considers himself an artist. Maybe he really is that dumb.
He's had a huge degree of success as a commodity. Bon Jovi, to me, has always been more of a brand than a band. The brand just happens to be in the music field. It's only natural that he "went country" when that country-pop explosion started selling big units in the mainstream. It was only natural that he tried his hand in mediocre rom-com movies years back. It's money. There's money in part-ownership of an NFL team. No big shock.

Dave's Bitch
01-05-2014, 03:06 PM
I like Bon Jovi

DONNIEP
01-05-2014, 03:30 PM
I like Bon Jovi

I like tacos.

Dave's Bitch
01-05-2014, 03:39 PM
I like tacos.

Does Bon Jovi like tacos?

DONNIEP
01-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Does Bon Jovi like tacos?

I think their drummer is named Taco.

vandeleur
01-05-2014, 03:46 PM
I think their drummer is named Taco.

:lmao:

twonabomber
01-05-2014, 03:48 PM
And the one guy's last name ends in "A"...Fajita?

Dave's Bitch
01-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Jon Bon Jovi interested in purchasing tacos?

DONNIEP
01-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Jon Bon Jovi interested in purchasing tacos?

Nah, he just got rid of that Richie Sombrero guy. Too soon.

DONNIEP
01-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Speaking of Richie Sombrero, how do you fuck that gig up? I mean, all you got to do is show up, play for 90 minutes and cash a big fat check. What, the idiot couldn't stay sober for 90 minutes a day?? Even Warf can do that!

Dave's Bitch
01-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Speaking of Richie Sombrero, how do you fuck that gig up? I mean, all you got to do is show up, play for 90 minutes and cash a big fat check. What, the idiot couldn't stay sober for 90 minutes a day?? Even Warf can do that!

Show up...and play Bon Jovi....;)

DONNIEP
01-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Show up...and play Bon Jovi....;)

Yeah, but it's pretty much the same gig Wolfie has in Van Halen. He doesn't have to really contribute anything, just twang on his bass geetar, and it's not like anybody expects either of them to write any hit songs.

vandeleur
01-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Wolfe ....... Again .
Ritchie didn't get sacked for smashing hagars back doors in .... That was Mickey .

Dave's Bitch
01-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Wolfe ....... Again .
Ritchie didn't get sacked for smashing hagars back doors in .... That was Mickey .

All the while Wolfie was playing grand theft auto :)

DONNIEP
01-05-2014, 04:10 PM
All the while Wolfie was playing grand theft auto :)

That's how he keeps his fingers limber for the next round of shows. The ones that'll start in three years. Maybe.

DONNIEP
01-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Wolfe ....... Again .

I don't know. Ol' Sombrero might be down for some of Sammy's rock candy.

Dave's Bitch
01-05-2014, 04:15 PM
I don't know. Ol' Sombrero might be down for some of Sammy's rock candy.

And his dick too

Dave's Bitch
01-05-2014, 04:16 PM
I know that is what you meant.I'm just feeling silly :)

vandeleur
01-05-2014, 04:16 PM
:lmao:

DONNIEP
01-05-2014, 04:23 PM
dick

All I heard was dick. And you know how it makes me when you talk like this....my little Italian love muffin! I'm gonna spank you with my spaghetti noodle!! Let's fall in love and wreck the place!

Von Halen
01-05-2014, 06:50 PM

I read somewhere, Bon Jovi was paying him $3 million a month.

DONNIEP
01-05-2014, 07:42 PM

I think I read the same thing. Three million bucks a month and he can't stay straight for 90 minutes a couple nites a week. What a fucking idiot.

Terry
01-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Meh.
As long as Jon Bon Jovi gets up there, wiggles his tushy and makes the audience of aging, widening soccer moms remember how he once made their ginies tingle when they were teens, nobody's gonna give 2 shits if Sombrero is playing guitar or not.

Seshmeister
01-05-2014, 08:54 PM

Sticking up for the guitarist here - Sambora co-wrote most if not all the BJ set list, is pretty vital on the backing vocals and is worth $65 million which is good 'fuck you' money but Jon BJ is worth $300 million. That's going to bug you a bit.

Imagine Roth had ended up 5 times richer than Eddie VH...

Terry
01-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Sticking up for the guitarist here - Sambora co-wrote most if not all the BJ set list, is pretty vital on the backing vocals and is worth $65 million which is good 'fuck you' money but Jon BJ is worth $300 million. That's going to bug you a bit.

Imagine Roth had ended up 5 times richer than Eddie VH...

Yeah, but if Sambora went out on tour with a band billed as Bon Jovi and Jon Bon Jovi wasn't the lead singer, it wouldn't exactly be filling arenas.

However, as long as Jon Bon Jovi is fronting the group, by and large I think people would still show up regardless of Sambora participating.

(Jesus, why in the fuck am I speculating on the future of a Sambora-less Bon Jovi? I didn't put this much thought into the band when they were at their peak in the late 1980s. Clearly, I am a pink slipper wearing pickle puffer).

Von Halen
01-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Clearly, I am a pink slipper wearing pickle puffer).

Clearly. :D

Nickdfresh
01-07-2014, 09:48 AM
I think I read the same thing. Three million bucks a month and he can't stay straight for 90 minutes a couple nites a week. What a fucking idiot.

If you had to play Bon Jovi's music, you'd get fucking shitfaced by mid-morning too!

Nickdfresh
03-25-2014, 03:20 PM
The owner of the Buffalo Bills, Ralph Wilson Jr. is dead at the age of 95.

WGR550 Radio LINK (http://www.wgr550.com/Bills-announce-Ralph-Wilson-has-died/18665387)

https://scontent-1.2914.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t31.0-8/1891492_10152263689950659_2065401236_o.jpg

Nickdfresh
03-25-2014, 03:23 PM
And ex-Bills' QB Jim Kelly's mouth cancer has returned after a period or remission and is "aggressively spreading." What a shitty local sports week... :(

Nickdfresh
03-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Oh shit! They might be available now...

FORD
03-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Well, it would figure that a Jon BonJovi business plan would be similar to his music - bland and effortless.

If you're going to pursue a football team.... target the one whose owner is in his 90s. He's bound to die sooner or later. (And now he has).

Jon's from Jersey, so he should logically be trying to buy the Giants.... but the Bills are probably an easier acquisition, all things considered.

Nickdfresh
03-25-2014, 04:50 PM
I think they're a bargain, for him. There are a lot of jitters here today about the team moving. Wilson's daughter's don't want the team (rumor has it) because the death tax would hinder profits and they're not that interested. But the team is profitable in Buffalo, very profitable with almost no overhead. It might change with a new ownership group that will go into debt in all likelihood...

Sensible Shoes
03-25-2014, 09:17 PM
This is going to put the town on it's ear. I'm glad I'm not working in news right now.

Nickdfresh
03-25-2014, 09:53 PM
The WGRZ broadcast was just a giant "in memoriam" for ol' Ralph. It's just a shame that this happens and Kelly's cancer has returned. Just very demoralizing at 1 Bills Dr. I suspect Mr. Wilson's health has been failing for some weeks now. It's interesting how these stories are never broken locally - but always come out on ESPN or something...

Von Halen
03-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Two zillionaire NFL owners that lived a mile apart in Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan pass away within a couple of weeks of each other. Crazy.

Wilson bought the Bills for $25,000 and now they're worth $900 MILLION!! Nice investment!

Now Bon Jovi can buy those shitty Bills, and move them to Toronto!

TFM_Dale
03-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Two zillionaire NFL owners that lived a mile apart in Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan pass away within a couple of weeks of each other. Crazy.

Wilson bought the Bills for $25,000 and now they're worth $900 MILLION!! Nice investment!

Now Bon Jovi can buy those shitty Bills, and move them to Toronto!

They might hit .500 in the CFL. Should bundle them with the Girls.

Nickdfresh
03-26-2014, 06:59 PM
They might hit .500 in the CFL. Should bundle them with the Girls.

At least they'd make the playoffs then, unlike Detroit...

TFM_Dale
03-26-2014, 08:09 PM
At least they'd make the playoffs then, unlike Detroit...

Care to make a friendly wager on the coming season? We can do a signature bet, loser has to put whatever the winner chooses as their sig for a month. I'm sure I can come up with something for your sig :bigwink:

Nickdfresh
03-27-2014, 07:50 PM
What if neither make the playoffs and they both suck like a newborn on a tit?

TFM_Dale
03-27-2014, 08:05 PM
What if neither make the playoffs and they both suck like a newborn on a tit?

We call the bet off and slam some beers!

Nickdfresh
03-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Oh, it's on! You better bring it Dale, cause I done brung it!

(LOL Why did I bet on the Bills? :D ) It's sad to say, I like Ralph C. Wilson Jr. and respect his huge impact on the league, which is undeniable as he was far more a visionary throughout the AFL days to the merger. But a lot of the longtime columnists here (sports ones) are basically saying that yeah, Ralph was good, but not great. He meddled in his team far too often (Driving out Bill Polian) and his teams only actually made the playoffs 17 times since 1960. And while Ralph bristled at being called "cheap" (he was willing to spend on good players) he always went cheap on coaches and GM's and rarely trusted football "gurus" which I think speaks a good deal to the overall lack of success the Superbowl and AFL Championship Teams notwithstanding. Still, he did a lot for Buffalo and kept his word about keeping the team here (which is pretty profitable with no overhead at about +$30 million a year) and was purchased for $25,000 and is now worth between $800-$900 million!. One of the reasons why he never wanted to sell it in his lifetime was the tax bill on his investment after a sale. In any case, RIP Ralph, I'll be there Sunday at the Memorial Tailgate at the stadium that bears his name that I live near...

A little trivial for Dale and Von, did you know the original Bills uniforms were just ripoffs of the Detroit Lions uniforms? And not the standing red Buffalo on white? No wonder why they sucked until they changed logos! :D ;)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5vkqDWN20yE/T6sxrxEeJgI/AAAAAAAADEY/RedrWNrTovM/s1600/BuffaloBills1960.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xHjP1chJYqM/TGoCyEss3II/AAAAAAAAARI/AWkPKaLJP-E/s1600/Buffalo+Bills+1200.jpg

Nickdfresh
04-06-2014, 12:52 PM
(Jeremy) Jacobs family (owners of Delaware North Industries and the Boston Bruins) reportedly leads list of Bills suitors with local ties

By Jerry Zremski

, updated April 6, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Just because the Buffalo Bills are up for sale doesn’t mean they’ll be packing up for a more lucrative market.

That’s the conclusion local political and business leaders share with experts in the business of professional football, who say that several factors stand in the way of moving the team to Los Angeles or another larger market.

What’s more, several business leaders with local connections and deep enough pockets have expressed interest in buying the Bills. Highly placed sources say that the Jacobs family, owner of Delaware North Companies, leads the list of potential local suitors.

“I am even more optimistic this week than I was last week that we can keep the Bills in Buffalo,” said Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y., who serves on the Bills’ new stadium working group. Schumer would not discuss any potential buyers for the Bills. But, he assured, “We have a lot of tools in our tool kit.”

Other sources said the most important tool in that kit would be the Bills’ lease at Ralph Wilson Stadium, which includes heavy penalties for moving the team.

And even though many expect out-of-town bidders to also express interest in buying the team, sources with knowledge of the situation said that doesn’t mean the new owner would be able to move the team.

“The lease’s structure and the non-relocation agreement structure is a major inhibitor for someone to come in and buy the team with the speculative expectation of relocating the team to a different market,” said Marc Ganis of SportsCorp Ltd., a Chicago sports consulting firm with strong connections in the NFL.

Lease good until 2019

The future of the Bills in Buffalo will remain a huge worry for the region until the day a local owner takes over. NFL teams hardly ever go on the open market.

Schumer said he has spoken with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who he said wants to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

The team will have to be sold to the highest bidder who can receive approval from at least 24 of the 31 other teams. Toronto suitors have expressed interest in the NFL, and other non-local bidders are sure to pursue the team, perhaps from Los Angeles.

But several NFL experts with Los Angeles ties say Western New York should not view L.A. as a prime threat to take the team.

Highly placed Bills sources told The News last week that the National Football League owners could complete a sale of the team at meetings next spring, if not sooner.

That means that whoever buys the team is guaranteed to be running it in Western New York for another five years after the purchase. The Bills’ lease with New York State and Erie County essentially is airtight through the 2019 season. There’s a one year window – in 2020 – when the team can terminate the lease for a relatively small sum of $28.3 million.

“I was privy to the lease when it was presented to the league,” said Amy Trask, chief executive officer of the Oakland Raiders from 1997 to 2013. “I’m familiar with the broad strokes. It struck me at that time that it was a bold, clear statement by Ralph Wilson he wanted to provide every single opportunity for the Bills to thrive in Buffalo.”

Ganis served as a consultant for both the Raiders and Rams franchises in their moves out of Los Angeles in the mid-1990s.

“There are several reasons why the lease agreement that Ralph Wilson agreed to two years ago is greatly beneficial to Bills fans and which leads to a more likely scenario of the team staying somewhere in the region on a long-term basis,” Ganis said. “It’s not an assurance, but it certainly adds to the probability that the team will stay somewhere in the region.”

Hard road to L.A.

Ganis is an expert on the Los Angeles market, and he is convinced it’s a pipe-dream to think an owner from there would swoop in and move the team. Why?

That person would have to hang onto the team for five full seasons before moving it, with no guarantee that the league would OK the move to L.A. Furthermore, another NFL club could move to Los Angeles during that five-year interim period. San Diego, Oakland and St. Louis all have leases that are breakable in the coming year.

“The problem with that is you don’t control your own destiny on at least two levels, but actually it’s more than two levels,” Ganis said of an L.A. buyer. “One is whether the NFL will permit the Bills to relocate to another market. A corollary to that is whether the NFL would permit the team to relocate to Los Angeles itself. The next issue is whether another team will have relocated into Los Angeles in the intervening years.”

“There are other teams looking to move more quickly than the Bills could even think about it,” Trask said. “The other thing I would add is a relocation is going to require a very large relocation fee from the league. There’s no guarantee that another team won’t relocate there first. And nine votes against would preclude a relocation.”

Former Green Bay Vice President Andrew Brandt, now an ESPN NFL business analyst, agrees.

“I don’t see L.A. as a practical matter right now,” Brandt said. “I don’t hear Buffalo in the mix. ... I hear more buzz about London than I do about L.A.”

But Brandt doubts whether the NFL would be ready to put a team in London by 2020.

“Maybe by the end of the decade the league could go from four to six or even six to eight games in London. That eight could be a rotation of 16 teams or it could be one team, although that’s probably less likely.”

Owning Bruins is an issue

So who could keep the Bills in Buffalo? Two well-placed local sources said that the Jacobs are in play.

Jeremy M. Jacobs Sr. is worth a reported $3.1 billion as chairman and chief executive officer of Buffalo-based Delaware North, one of the world’s largest concession companies.

Jacobs, of East Aurora, presides over a global hospitality and food service business that is one of the largest privately held companies in North America. He and his wife have six children; three sons and three daughters.

Jacobs’ ownership of the NHL’s Boston Bruins could prove to be a stumbling block, given that NFL rules bar teams from being owned by people who own franchises in other sports leagues unless that other team is located in the same city as the NFL franchise.

Could one or more of Jacobs’ sons buy the Bills? If they divested themselves of any holdings in the Bruins and removed themselves from any position with that team, it’s possible, an NFL source told The News. However, it would depend on an evaluation of the specifics of the deal, that source said.

In 2012 interviews with The News, the Jacobs family and a top aide appeared to send mixed signals.

“As long as the family has the ownership of the Bruins, they can’t own anything related to the Bills,” said Wendy Watkins, a Delaware North spokeswoman.

To which Jacobs’ son, Jeremy Jr., said: “That said, we will do what we can to ensure that the Bills stay in this town.”

Deep pockets

Here’s one certainty: Even though the Bills are worth an estimated $870 million, according to Forbes Magazine, the next owner of the Bills, whoever it is, will have no problem coming up with the money.

NFL rules state that a principal owner must control at least 30 percent of the team. But NFL ownership groups are not cobbled together in three or four big chunks.

“I would expect the next owner of the Bills will be someone – even if he or she has partners – who individually could stroke the check to buy the whole thing,” Ganis said. “Fourteen of the last 15 team sales, that’s the way it has happened. It’s not just what the NFL likes, it’s what they do.”

“The most valuable asset when the NFL looks at prospective owners is the bottom line,” Brandt said. “Obviously, they want to vet them on a personal, social and emotional level. But it does come down to dollars.”

Brandt recalled a story he heard about Jimmy Haslam, who bought the Cleveland Browns for $1 billion in 2012.

“When the NFL went to him and said, ‘We have this guy who can put in $100 million and this other guy who can contribute,’ he basically said in so many words, ‘I’m good,’” Brandt said.

Other prospects

Besides the Jacobs family, who among those with WNY ties would be “good” for most of the price of the Bills?

The prominent candidates include New York entrepreneur Donald Trump, who is friends with Bills Hall-of-Famer Jim Kelly; Sabres owner Terry Pegula; and former Sabres owner B. Thomas Golisano.

Others could come out of the woodwork. Pegula was an unknown in Western New York before he bought the Sabres.

Pegula is worth a reported $3.3 billion. Sabres spokesman Michael M. Gilbert released the following statement in response to a News request on Pegula’s interest:

“At this time, we remain committed and focused on the Buffalo Sabres organization. However, we are aware of the Buffalo Bills current ownership situation after the passing of Ralph Wilson. We believe that this region is a better place with the Bills here, and we would not want to see the team moved out of Buffalo.”

Of all the locally connected names mentioned, Trump appears to be the most forthright about his intentions. Late Friday, he was described by a top Trump aide as “very serious” about purchasing the team.

“One person who certainly has expressed interest is Donald Trump,” said Michael Cohen, executive vice president of the Trump Organization and special counsel to Trump.

He added the Manhattan real estate developer is “100 percent” committed to keeping the team in Buffalo.

“The Bills have a rich history in Western New York, and Mr. Trump’s interest is to preserve that,” Cohen said.

Trump has maintained a long relationship with Kelly, who is undergoing cancer treatments in New York City. Before Kelly joined the Bills in 1986, he briefly was a member of the New Jersey team Trump owned in the United States Football League.

Cohen, who said he has been assigned to handle preparations for a potential purchase by the Trump Organization, said he does not believe the NFL harbors concerns about Trump’s association with gambling businesses. While NFL rules prohibit team owners to also maintain gambling interests, he said Trump has only a minority stake in such businesses. (Delaware North also has a casino holding in West Virginia.)

“Donald Trump has a very small interest in Trump Entertainment and Resorts, which is a publicly traded company,” Cohen said. “While his name is still on the outside of buildings, he is not a board member nor does he maintain any control over the casino operation.

Cohen explained that Trump has determined that any potential owner must first prove his financial ability to purchase the team, adding his own job is to know the exact amount of Trump’s cash and equity holdings at any given time.

“There is no issue there at all,” he said. “Mr. Trump’s wealth is far greater than what has been reported.

Cohen also said Trump is not concerned about losing a bidding war should the team’s current ownership deal with competing offers.

“Mr. Trump understands business better than anyone and understands the right price and the wrong price for any asset,” he said. “He also understands this is not a bargain basement sale and intends on competing with any interested party. Unfortunately for them,” he added, “the last dozen competitors who were competing on properties and assets have lost to Mr. Trump.”

Golisano, meanwhile, has wealth estimated at $2.1 billion. He sold the Sabres to Pegula in 2011. He also bid for the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team in 2012.

Golisano has stated publicly he wants the Bills to remain in Western New York.

A source with knowledge of Golisano’s discussions said: “He is open to playing a role to help save the team,” but added he does not envision Golisano engaging in a bidding war with anyone seeking to keep the team in Buffalo.

email: mgaughan@buffnews.com, jzremski@buffnews.com, rmccarthy@buffnews.com

News staff reporters Dan Herbeck, Stephen T. Watson and Jonathan Epstein contributed to this report.

Nickdfresh
04-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Posted: Thursday, 10 April 2014 9:55AM

Report links Bon Jovi to Bills once again

By Joe Buscaglia

JoeB@wgr550.com

(WGR 550) -- Before the founder and owner of the Buffalo Bills, Ralph C. Wilson, Jr., had passed away of natural causes, there was a rumor that musician Jon Bon Jovi was attempting to get in the ranks of NFL owners. Last time around he was mentioned and linked with the Bills, and once again the rocker's aspirations for owning a football team has been tied to Buffalo.

According to Bleacher Report's Dan Pompei, a few around the league believe that Bon Jovi is expected to join up with a pair of heavy hitters to put together a group to purchase the Bills. Here is the excerpt from Pompei's April 10 column:

"NFL honchos expect rocker Jon Bon Jovi to make a push to purchase the Bills, perhaps in concert with Maple Leafs magnate Larry Tanenbaum. Bon Jovi is connected with Tanenbaum and Tim Leiweke, CEO of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment Group. There were rumors about Bon Jovi wanting to purchase the team before Ralph Wilson's death, but the team was not for sale then. It is now. There are expected to be other bidders as well, and a primary factor in who gets the team is going to be where the Bills will call home. If one of the ownership groups can get a stadium built in Buffalo, that group may have the edge. It is possible the Bon Jovi group may want to relocate to Toronto—or even Los Angeles. Lieweke previously was involved with the L.A. Kings and tried to bring an NFL team there before." - Dan Pompei, Bleacher Report

A few other names have been tied to the Bills to this point, including the family of current Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs. Any potential new owner needs to be approved by 24 of the 31 other franchises in the league.

http://www.wgr550.com/Report-links-Bon-Jovi-to-Bills-once-again/18781777

Nickdfresh
04-13-2014, 11:42 AM
I dunno if anyone cares or not, but the Bon Jovi thing is seen as more a novelty and is "more speculation than reality," because it will be virtually impossible to move the Bills for at least seven years, and very difficult in the eighth year still even at the paltry $28.5 million buyout (which is $400 million per year for the first seven and a few after the 8th year). For more info, the local article in the Buffalo News is here

Under Lease Court Could Bar Any New Owner From Moving Buffalo Bills (http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/under-lease-court-could-bar-any-new-owner-from-moving-buffalo-bills-20140412)

TFM_Dale
04-13-2014, 11:49 AM
All I know is if you become a bon jovi fan I'll have to call you a homo lol

chefcraig
04-13-2014, 12:35 PM
I dunno if anyone cares or not, but the Bon Jovi thing is seen as more a novelty and is "more speculation than reality," because it will be virtually impossible to move the Bills for at least seven years, and very difficult in the eighth year still even at the paltry $28.5 million buyout (which is $400 million per year for the first seven and a few after the 8th year).

Novelty or not, there is no way in hell I could live with the team being moved to Toronto. Nuthin' against my Canadian friends, but the simple fact is this: The finest football I've ever witnessed took place between the Bills and the Miami Dolphins during the ten year period of 1983-1993.

Any true Dolphin fan holds the utmost respect (NOT hatred) for the Bills, and a feeling of compassion for the trials they and their fans have gone through in the past decade, not only as a team but as a city.

Nickdfresh
04-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Novelty or not, there is no way in hell I could live with the team being moved to Toronto. Nuthin' against my Canadian friends, but the simple fact is this: The finest football I've ever witnessed took place between the Bills and the Miami Dolphins during the ten year period of 1983-1993.

Any true Dolphin fan holds the utmost respect (NOT hatred) for the Bills, and a feeling of compassion for the trials they and their fans have gone through in the past decade, not only as a team but as a city.

One of my greatest memories is going to my last playoff game where the Bills throttled the Dolphins in rushing yards 29-10 and basically forced Don Shula to retire...

And Toronto can get their own fucking team! Same thing with LA...

Romeo Delight
04-13-2014, 12:47 PM

i think Toronto is the 3rd or 5th largest market in all of North America, so this is inevitable, but I don't relish the thought either.

I think there is some agreement made to move them in the shorter term but perhaps under the next commisioner?

Nickdfresh
04-13-2014, 12:50 PM
i think Toronto is the 3rd or 5th largest market in all of North America, so this is inevitable, but I don't relish the thought either.

I think there is some agreement made to move them in the shorter term but perhaps under the next commisioner?

No, if you read the article, actually a lot of people in the NFL do want an existing team to move to Canada. There are a lot of barriers in place in the near term at least. That's not to say that Toronto won't have an NFL team, I think they will with an expansion to Toronto and LA for two additional teams. Bon Jovi and the Canadian group are viewed as the least likely at this point. WTF would they need Bon Jovi for? I think Trump will own the team before he does.

LOL His net worth is like a third total of what the Bills are worth. Why would Rogers need him as their poster boy? I think there is a potential of him investing along with a group led by Trump and Jim Kelly or something. But Jon will never be the sole owner, he's not near rich enough...

I should add by the time it is actually plausible to move the Buffalo Bills anywhere (seven years at least, and even then it's a narrow window fraught with complications), there will be again league expansion. Maybe even four more teams by then...

sadaist
04-13-2014, 12:58 PM
As much fun as it is to hate on Bon Jovi...the year they had Cinderella open (1987?)...your ol' pal Sada took 2 chicks to the concert. TWO!! Hell yeah!!!! Tiffany and Jodi :) I was so studly that night.

Never got laid but I did make out & got ass grabby with both girls.

Romeo Delight
04-13-2014, 01:17 PM
I have it on good authority that this commisioner will not move the Bills to Toronto or any other city...who knows if my sources are correct

TFM_Dale
04-13-2014, 01:27 PM
I dont see a current team being moved to canuckia but I could see the NFL expanding, knowing those greedy fucks it will be canuckia and london to begin with, they cant wait to go global.

Romeo Delight
04-13-2014, 02:28 PM
I like to see franchises stay where they are within reason.

Look at the NBA and Seattle's team. They lose the team when they were poised to land Durant.

I think the NBA is a little more solid in terms of leadership and revenue compared to the NBA so maybe not as big a concern

TFM_Dale
04-13-2014, 02:31 PM
I still do not understand the Sonics moving, they had some really good teams.

Nickdfresh
04-13-2014, 02:41 PM
I have it on good authority that this commisioner will not move the Bills to Toronto or any other city...who knows if my sources are correct

The commissioner doesn't move anything. A new owner does pending league approval and after shelling out a fuckload of money. In this case, the entire value of the team X2 would be the cost of moving the Bills for seven years. Plus, this league will be expanding. I think they want more teams, and Ontario/New York/Northern Pennsylvania can support another team in this radius. Add to that the fact that the current Toronto stadium is a pretty souless and gay way to watch NFL football with the no-tailgating regulations it starts to muddy what some thought was obvious....

Nickdfresh
04-13-2014, 02:47 PM
There will be teams in Toronto and Vancouver before London, IMHO. There is a small, but ardent Euro fanclub for American football. But I can't see that supporting a team...

TFM_Dale
04-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Canuckia makes more sense, the NFL is dieing to go international though, I dont think it is a good idea but greed is a powerful motivator.

Romeo Delight
04-13-2014, 02:51 PM
The commissioner doesn't move anything. A new owner does pending league approval and after shelling out a fuckload of money. In this case, the entire value of the team X2 would be the cost of moving the Bills for seven years. Plus, this league will be expanding. I think they want more teams, and Ontario/New York/Northern Pennsylvania can support another team in this radius. Add to that the fact that the current Toronto stadium is a pretty souless and gay way to watch NFL football with the no-tailgating regulations it starts to muddy what some thought was obvious....

The commisioner has a huge say in any franchises being moved, does he not?

I agree with 100 % about Toronto=Souless

Romeo Delight
04-13-2014, 02:51 PM
Toronto woudl need to build a new stadium

FORD
04-13-2014, 04:37 PM
As much fun as it is to hate on Bon Jovi...the year they had Cinderella open (1987?)...your ol' pal Sada took 2 chicks to the concert. TWO!! Hell yeah!!!! Tiffany and Jodi :) I was so studly that night.

Never got laid but I did make out & got ass grabby with both girls.

Admittedly, that's the one thing Bon Jovi concerts were good for..... lots of slutty rocker chicks. :sex:

FORD
04-13-2014, 04:39 PM
I still do not understand the Sonics moving, they had some really good teams.

Fuck Howard Schultz for betraying the fans and selling out to those right wing Oklahomo oil bastards.

That's why I can't drink Starfucks coffee to this day (not that it was all that great in the first place)

Romeo Delight
04-13-2014, 04:58 PM
The commissioner doesn't move anything. A new owner does pending league approval and after shelling out a fuckload of money. .

Nickd, do you really think it works that way? No one is shelling out that kind of money before first knowing with certainty what the league will allow. So in that sense the commisioner moves the team.

When the Grizzlies were sold to Mr Heisly he knew he could move them to Memphis and had to present his precise plans to Mr Stern before getting approval to buy team.

When the Grizzlies were granted the expansion franchise, they had to agree to hire Stu Jackson as their GM from teh NBA head office...a move that would ultimately contribute to their demise. All of these details are laid out by each commish

Do you really think a new owner is approved before every last detail is worked out well in advance? C'mon man