PDA

View Full Version : Kristy Reviews The B.B. King 10 Disc Box Set

Kristy
11-26-2013, 07:37 PM
It is fucking awesome!

http://c745.r45.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/2009/mr_bb_king_box_set.jpg

As the owner of numerous shitty and half-assed slopped together box sets this is one major expectation to the rule. No filler, no bullshit "remixes" or wasted studio outtakes. Ladies & Gentlemen..' pretty much spans B.B.'s career from 1949 to 2008. The remastering is nicely done, too without all that "tinny" mind-numbing tech-o-gimmick. This one, next to the Jack Bruce I bought last week will take some time to get through but this is more than well worth the listen disc-by-disc. So blow me, all you failed musicians. Enjoy your crappy Metallica or new Ozzy or what-the-fuck-ever.

VHscraps
11-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Glad you brought this to my attention, Kristy - I'm in the mood for this stuff now.

Kristy
11-26-2013, 08:14 PM
There is some interesting stuff to be found here. I'd call it rare over rehash. For example, some well recorded live tracks for his 1971 album 'Live In Japan', 1970 'Indianola Mississippi Seeds', 1978's 'Midnight Believer.' I haven't hit his 80's output yet. It's really a well put together set.

chefcraig
11-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks so much for the heads-up on this. I hope this includes material from the "Live At The Regal" album, which I only found once on CD around 1990. Sadly, it sounded as if it was recorded underwater in a child's plastic swimming pool.

Crap, between this, the new Hendix doc/Live At Miami Pop Festival, the Breaking Bad Complete Series boxed set, the upcoming Lou Reed career anthology and various gifts for friends and family, I'll be in hock up to my eyeballs until sometime in September of 2014.

Merry Christmas indeed, mother-fuckers. :yo::baaa:

Kristy
11-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Yes it does, 5 songs from his 1964 period

"Everyday I Have The Blues"
"Sweet Little Angel"
It's My Own Fault"
How Blue Can You Get?"
"Please Love Me"

There are some sporadic live recordings to be found here and I have not dove into the earlier years of the CD here so not sure the sound but overall, the remastering seems to be okay as compared to other box sets. I also picked up this (used) and it looks to be quite interesting though I am not all that familiar with Bruce's music:

http://www.jackbruce.com/2008/Music/images/can_you_follow.jpg

And then I saw this:
http://i1.weltbild.ch/asset/vgw/give-me-strength-080125851.jpg

Not so much a box set as a decent remastering of 461 but it seems suspect. Over-extended studio jams really don't interest me as much as some of the unreleased material Clapton's early to mid-70's period. Much of his 70's catalog reissues has been a letdown even the 30 (or 40 or whatever) "Anniversary" of 'Slowhand' sucked. E.C. Was Here, No Reason To Cry, Backless and even the dismal live album he did should all be released as one box set reissue but 461 seems to be the creme of the crop of Clapton's entire 70's output - at least in my opinion it was. If I decent and simple reissue of the reissue of 461 ever comes out, I'll definitely pick that one up but $60 for a bunch of long forgotten studio outtakes really bore me and some of those tunes were already released on the Crossroads box set anyway.

chefcraig
11-27-2013, 11:03 AM
The Jack Bruce set covers a great deal of ground, and thankfully stays away from the dismal, coke-binging West, Bruce & Lang overdriven power trio mush. The set pretty much focuses on Bruce as a composer, and really holds up well. I must admit however, there is a boat-load of material included that will leave you scrambling for the remote, as it is at times redundant of typical 1970s-era navel gazing, "Look at me" jazz rock fusion jamming.

For Clapton, I could generally live without some of his reissued garbage, as they contain the same sort of pointless 15 minute long guitar work out/sludgefests that made punk rock so refreshing, IE: the lack of pretentious solos and wank-a-thons.

The punks got it right: Screw side-long guitar solos. They impress nobody but other guitar players, and even half of them have gone off for a piss break or to the concession stand for more beer and a pretzel. And by then, the chicks have gone out for a smoke or have decided to go sit in the car. :sleepy:

Kristy
11-27-2013, 11:49 AM
That Jack Bruce box set does contain some gems long since out-of-print or just impossible to find. The guy was never much of a solo commercial success and despite his highly versatile bass playing skills he was never really accredited for being a vocalist of which I always thought were quite good. Some throwaways to be found here like his collaboration with Zappa on Apostrophe and that dismal Bruce/Trower (BLT) outing. It does contain 'So They Invented Race' which is proabbly one of my all-time fav tunes.

The guy is really one hell of a diverse musician.

As for Clapton, I'm not big on the guy but his 70's output was at least tolerable even though it was poor and highly unoriginal (borrowing heavily from J.J. Cale and Don Williams); his 80's over commercialized shit just makes me cringe.

Fairwrning
11-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Ghey....

Kristy
11-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Go wash your toupee, asshole.

Von Halen
11-27-2013, 12:18 PM
It is fucking awesome!

As the owner of numerous shitty and half-assed slopped together box sets this is one major expectation to the rule. No filler, no bullshit "remixes" or wasted studio outtakes. Ladies & Gentlemen..' pretty much spans B.B.'s career from 1949 to 2008. The remastering is nicely done, too without all that "tinny" mind-numbing tech-o-gimmick. This one, next to the Jack Bruce I bought last week will take some time to get through but this is more than well worth the listen disc-by-disc. So blow me, all you failed musicians. Enjoy your crappy Metallica or new Ozzy or what-the-fuck-ever.

"Expectation" to the rule? You mean exception?

This shit is ok, but why don't you step into the 21st century, you old hag.

Kristy
11-27-2013, 12:24 PM
2008 is the 21st Century you forever stuck in 1985 filthy hippie.

Von Halen
11-27-2013, 12:30 PM
2008 is the 21st Century you forever stuck in 1985 filthy hippie.

Actually, '85 wasn't a great year. I'm stuck more around '80-'83.

Kristy
11-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah, filthy hippie years.

Mushroom
11-27-2013, 12:43 PM
You can tell Kristy doesn't Wiki because she's a shitty speller and sometimes has a hard time putting sentences together. She's the real deal!

Mushroom
11-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Kristy needs to listen to some Texas Hippie Coalition to catch up with modern times. She might even like to bang the singer.

Kristy
11-27-2013, 12:58 PM
You can tell Kristy doesn't Wiki because she's a shitty speller and sometimes has a hard time putting sentences together. She's the real deal!

God damn right!

ELVIS
11-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Except it's not a she...

Kristy
11-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Get the fuck out of this thread, asshole.

ELVIS
11-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Later, Fag...

Mushroom
11-27-2013, 01:43 PM
It's a transsexual

Hey Kristy, come over to my house, I picked up 4 Albert King CDs!

binnie
11-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Well, this could have been a cool thread.........

Mushroom
11-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Personally I like the over-indulgent jamming on Clapton's Crossroads ii Live in the 70's

chefcraig
11-27-2013, 01:50 PM

It still is. Think of it as a preview for tomorrow, when all of the relatives get together and the annual shit-hits-the-fan-festival begins. Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!:nuts:

Personally I like the over-indulgent jamming on Clapton's Crossroads ii Live in the 70's

Yeah, but on the other hand, if I wanted to listen to some dorks riffing back and forth via dull, pentatonic blues scales for a half hour at a time, I'd simply stop by Guitar Center on a Saturday morning. ;)

ELVIS
11-27-2013, 01:53 PM

Shaddup and listen...

:elvis:

Mushroom
11-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Yeah, but on the other hand, if I wanted to listen to some dorks riffing back and forth via dull, pentatonic blues scales for a half hour at a time, I'd simply stop by Guitar Center on a Saturday morning. ;)

Ouch. So I guess a lot of potential legends hang around Guitar Center. Fuck that place! I love my local mom & pop guitar shop.

chefcraig
11-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Fuck that place! I love my local mom & pop guitar shop.

You are indeed fortunate, as all of them disappeared from this area within the past seven or eight years. Believe it or not, if you need strings or other must-haves, your choices are limited to GC and Best Buy. It's a deplorable situation, with even the local luthiers folding up shop and heading down the road.

VAiN
11-27-2013, 02:32 PM
You are indeed fortunate, as all of them disappeared from this area within the past seven or eight years. Believe it or not, if you need strings or other must-haves, your choices are limited to GC and Best Buy. It's a deplorable situation, with even the local luthiers folding up shop and heading down the road.

You forgot Sam Ash.. The JC Penny of music stores. The only only worth going to was MAE but that hadn't been the same since my guy Tommy died a few years back..

Mushroom
11-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Guitar Center made exclusive agreement with Gibson to be the only authorized dealer in my town. That is fucked up. I don't own a Gibson. Not sure I want to now.

chefcraig
11-27-2013, 03:02 PM
You forgot Sam Ash.. The JC Penny of music stores. The only only worth going to was MAE but that hadn't been the same since my guy Tommy died a few years back..

MAE was the place I bought my first cabinet (Peavey with six tens in it) back in 1976, when the store was about the size of a 7/11. I purchased the head at Musician's Exchange, and together, they weighed about as much as a Volkswagen. Then again, you could drop them off the tailgate of a pick up truck, soak 'em with beer (this actually happened several times) and the unit would still work.

Guitar Center made exclusive agreement with Gibson to be the only authorized dealer in my town. That is fucked up. I don't own a Gibson. Not sure I want to now.

I hear ya. Other than my SG bass, I've never really liked Gibsons. They are either too heavy or too light weight, and the fixed/non-string-through body bridge is really unforgiving for anything other than playing rhythm in an AC/DC cover band.

Kristy
11-27-2013, 05:19 PM

Fuck, your older than Von!

Kristy
11-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Anyone notice how I used "your" instead of "you're"???

Anyone..?

Mushroom
11-27-2013, 05:34 PM
No we are stoned stupid burnt out hippies. Now go fix your post!

PETE'S BROTHER
11-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Anyone notice how I used "your" instead of "you're"???

Anyone..?

it is very controversial to point out others' shortcomings

Fairwrning
11-27-2013, 05:43 PM
I can see Kristy now..rolling thru the hood in her Chevy Malibu..listening to BB King..stoned,pissed off and depressed..

Von Halen
11-27-2013, 06:47 PM
I can see Kristy now..rolling thru the hood in her Chevy Malibu..listening to BB King..stoned,pissed off and depressed..

A Malibu? Ha ha ha ha ha ha! I knew she was an old hag. An old hag that supports Generic Motors and their Corporate welfare. A welfare recipient supporting a welfare recipient.

Kristy
11-27-2013, 07:23 PM
How in the fuck is that a "welfare car"?